Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

No doubt that his players love him and he can flat out coach.
I fully acknowledge that there's a bit of a sleazy car salesmany vibe with Pearl, and I'm well aware of his past transgressions. I just like the way his teams play and think he's a hell of a coach and while I don't necessarily think coaches need to be as demonstrative to illustrate their investment to their team, I get the sense that his energy is infectious and that guys would enjoy playing for him.

Not trying to convince anybody to be a fan and I know there are many (I'd assume a ton around this board) who absolutely can't stand him. But I like him - and I hope we beat him for this particular prospect.

This shows a lot about Pearl and how much he cares for his players.

Perfect quote at the end of that by Sparnakel (I think??) - "he wears his heart on his sleeve."

That sums Pearl up quite nicely. Think whatever you want about him as a character, but he's an elite basketball coach.

Also, how underrated is Ian Eagle? It amazes me how his name doesn't come up more often when people talk about the best broadcasters. I know we all love Harlan because of his local ties and he's awesome. But Ian Eagle is terrific.

Perfect quote at the end of that by Sparnakel (I think??) - "he wears his heart on his sleeve."

That sums Pearl up quite nicely. Think whatever you want about him as a character, but he's an elite basketball coach.

Also, how underrated is Ian Eagle? It amazes me how his name doesn't come up more often when people talk about the best broadcasters. I know we all love Harlan because of his local ties and he's awesome. But Ian Eagle is terrific.
I said he can flat out coach. Speaking of local ties, in your video that is Breck School alum Jamie Erdahl as nice a lady as you will find and a great basketball mind. Played for coaching great Ray Finley.

We should have offered him out of high school. Oops.
No they shouldn't have, he went to a prep in AZ to sort out his grades per Ryan James. He signed really late with Utah (committed the June before his freshman year). Plenty of things to bash Pitino on in recruiting but not offering Both out of high school is not one of them.

Iowa State is only like 30 minutes further from Austin than the Twin Cities. Think getting a waiver there would be possible as well. Creighton is like five hours away. Auburn and Maryland make no sense if immediate eligibility is what he's after - though I'm a big Bruce Pearl (the coach) fan and think he'd be good there.
I bet Gach likes BBQ

No they shouldn't have, he went to a prep in AZ to sort out his grades per Ryan James. He signed really late with Utah (committed the June before his freshman year). Plenty of things to bash Pitino on in recruiting but not offering Both out of high school is not one of them.
Agree. Would not have even offered out of high school.

well Iowa st needs Gach more than gophs if Carr returns. Looks like Gophs or Iowa st. to me. NCAA waiver looks best for those 2 schools....however Rasir Bolton picked up a waiver last year transferring from Penn St to Iowa St......never did find out how that deal went down. Something about non basketball related concerns.

Logic means nothing to spaulding, at least when it comes to basketball. He is the Freddy Krueger of this board. He only gains power if you acknowledge his existence. I'm sure most have him blocked, and for those that don't, he will never respond directly when you ask to provide explanation to one of the random statements he throws out in attempts to agitate people on this board. Most things he says are subtle, but also overtly racist at the same, so at least he has that going for him.

per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: Any updates on Utah transfer Both Gach’s recruiting status? – Dan Chang

A: I’ve been hearing the former Austin High standout is still unsure where he wants to go but could announce his decision as early as next week. Gach’s top five schools in no order are Minnesota, Maryland, Creighton, Iowa State and Auburn. The 6-foot-7 guard was testing the waters for the NBA Draft, but he could boost his stock for next year's draft if he returns to school. Playing immediately is his goal for college. If he transfers close to home, the chances of the NCAA granting him a waiver to be eligible in 2020-21 are heavily in his favor. The Gophers make sense in that regard. It also makes sense that Richard Pitino badly wants Gach to stay old in the backcourt. Gach has two years of experience playing in the Pac-12. He averaged 10 points for the Utes last season, which included a 19-point performance in a win vs. the Gophers. Gach’s versatility, length and athleticism would allow him to play all three perimeter spots and defend them as well. Seems like the perfect fit.

Go Gophers!!

No way on maryland! 2 teams on his final five will be on probation by august! 2 teams on the list he can get a waiver to play right away. Then theres Maryland!

No way on maryland! 2 teams on his final five will be on probation by august! 2 teams on the list he can get a waiver to play right away. Then theres Maryland!
Dont take anything spaulding says at face value, he would agree himself ?

Waiting on a tweet or GH message with the inside scoop on Both...

It is assumed Carr is coming back. If Both really wants to be a starting PG, it won't be the Gophers.
Is that really what he wants/thinks a team will offer him?

Gophs seems like a good fit because I'm sure they'll mix in at the 1 occasionally/let him bring it up at opportune times. Can't imagine any of the other schools making him the starting PG or giving him anything better than what we could. Maybe there recruiting pitch says otherwise.

His Ast-TO ratio was about 1:1 last year. He needs to be on the wing.

Last edited:

Is that really what he wants/thinks a team will offer him?

Gophs seems like a good fit because I'm sure they'll mix in at the 1 occasionally/let him bring it up at opportune times. Can't imagine any of the other schools making him the starting PG or giving him anything better than what we could. Maybe there recruiting pitch says otherwise.
Iowa State. It's just as close to Austin, MN as the Twin Cities, it has been a strong P6 program, and they're losing two of their starting guards from last season (one a senior, the other leaving for the NBA draft).

Iowa State. It's just as close to Austin, MN as the Twin Cities, it has been a strong P6 program, and they're losing two of their starting guards from last season (one a senior, the other leaving for the NBA draft).
Sadly I think you are right. I believe it will be ISU as well.

Sadly I think you are right. I believe it will be ISU as well.
It does make sense from Both perspective

I'm feeling the Terps. Just saying. Gut, nothing else. We'll see. btw, lol anyone thinking Iowa State is in this.

Only if Both will be sitting the 2020-21 season. Fact
I think it may be being overstated that a waiver to Minnesota is going to be easy or even a likely occurrence and this would be the edge Minnesota has. They may see the waiver as being a challenge either way.

I think it may be being overstated that a waiver to Minnesota is going to be easy or even a likely occurrence and this would be the edge Minnesota has. They may see the waiver as being a challenge either way.
I love that you are convinced it's not ISU. Especially when you are simply basing the Twerps on your gut.

Top Bottom