Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Conference titles have lost some luster. Unbalanced schedules, conference tourney championships etc... A team can win the conference and exit the dance early and people remember the early exit.

Give an honest answer. Greater emotion by Badger players. Elation from winning and or sharing conference title. Or pain and anguish from not being able to compete in the dance.

Conference titles have lost some luster. Unbalanced schedules, conference tourney championships etc... A team can win the conference and exit the dance early and people remember the early exit.

Give an honest answer. Greater emotion by Badger players. Elation from winning and or sharing conference title. Or pain and anguish from not being able to compete in the dance.
Agree that they lost some luster but for the competitors remember them forever. I saw the joy they got from winning the conference. Not being able to play in the dance i am sure was disappointing but every team got that. Not every team wins the conference. Give a honest answer, greater joy in winning the conference versus having a losing record. I do not care what school it is, if you won your conference that is one hell of a accomplishment. We should know that. Winning the conference is much more difficult than making the tourney. You can be mediocre and make the tourney.

Agree that they lost some luster but for the competitors remember them forever. I saw the joy they got from winning the conference. Not being able to play in the dance i am sure was disappointing but every team got that. Not every team wins the conference. Give a honest answer, greater joy in winning the conference versus having a losing record. I do not care what school it is, if you won your conference that is one hell of a accomplishment. We should know that. Winning the conference is much more difficult than making the tourney. You can be mediocre and make the tourney.
You give an answer. You did not answer the question lots of lawyer speak and verbal judo.

Text the 14 Badger players and ask them if they would give up the window dressing hardware to compete in March for the national title. I mean I know the answer already.

You give an answer. You did not answer the question lots of lawyer speak and verbal judo.

Text the 14 Badger players and ask them if they would give up the window dressing hardware to compete in March for the national title. I mean I know the answer already.
Of course they would but they say they start with the conference title and work for the big title. When all you could win is the conference that is all there was. I would never text them. But i can assure they do not think of the conference title as window dressing. You do not celebrate window dressing like that. Coaches talk about it all the time, winning the conference is a really big deal. Ask Pitino if he thinks winning the conference is a big deal. It is a insult to those that compete to think it means as little as you suggest. Hell, we did not even win the conference in football but we celebrated winning the west like it was crazy important. Ask Fleck and his players if winning the conference matters.

Of course in football it does hard to play for a National championship if you don’t. Thanks for helping me make my point. Basketball not so much. Thanks again.

Yes Mark Few will write a War & Peace length book about conference championships.

Conference title has lost its luster using your words that was my point and you agreed.

Wisconsin winning the conference this year whilst tying michigan st. in wins is not the precipice of basketball achievements. Good for them, they squeaked out several games they should've lost.

Wisconsin winning the conference this year whilst tying michigan st. in wins is not the precipice of basketball achievements. Good for them, they squeaked out several games they should've lost.
Well that all goes into the equation of why they won conference. Here's a question though. Would you rather win conference and get bounced first round or finish sixth in conference and go to elite 8 or final 4?

UW has had transfers and recruits that washed out, every program does. The difference is UW is so well coached, so well drilled, they really build balance for experience and they make use of the red shirt. UVA had transfers out and two nearly empty recruiting classes and still won huge and are poised to do it again. It is in the coaching. Our guy has to win now. Not .500 and 6th place. Hope our transfers are eligible and we see a lock down defense.
Wrong. Lame big ten talent allows hard workers to succeed. Quit acting like it’s great coaching and all the other fluff.

Well that all goes into the equation of why they won conference. Here's a question though. Would you rather win conference and get bounced first round or finish sixth in conference and go to elite 8 or final 4?
I would take the final 4 because of what it means for the program nationally, what it means to fans that have starved for one, alumni, families paid trip, players dreams. But no on elite 8 as they is just 3 wins a 8 day run. Hell just get really good, do not finish 6th and your in a much better position for final 4 chances.

I would take the final 4 because of what it means for the program nationally, what it means to fans that have starved for one, alumni, families paid trip, players dreams. But no on elite 8 as they is just 3 wins a 8 day run. Hell just get really good, do not finish 6th and your in a much better position for final 4 chances.
Like butler. Oh boy

I’d take elite 8 and final 4 over a conference ship any day of the week. Much more of an accomplishment, helps the program get national recognition, and it exhilarating for fans.

I’d take elite 8 and final 4 over a conference ship any day of the week. Much more of an accomplishment, helps the program get national recognition, and it exhilarating for fans.
I agree. If you win big ten and get bounced first round most people will remember the loss. Like built said though you can never take big championship away from kids though. They will always remember.

That is fine. As long as the data is understood that 6 th place conference finishes very rarely result in elite 8 and final 4's. Conference champions and teams at the top of the conference are always putting themselves in favorable positions because they are so much better than 6th place teams. Damn, we actually have fans who think 6th is great , that talk of runs to the sweet 16 ! You win 2 games to get to the sweet 16. That is nice but two games is hardly a run, 3 is a little run. The national recognition on a elite 8 is very short, a day in between. Final 4 is so much bigger. Each person can decide for themselves which they prefer. My point is i value winning the conference. Players and coaches know the grind of winning the conference is a lot more than window dressing. Of course the ultimate is winning the conference and not just getting to the final 4 but winning it all like the reigning champs.

Agree 100% nobody as a fan is gonna say when I went to wisconsin they won the big ten, but people will definately say and remember how fun the run was to final four.

That is fine. As long as the data is understood that 6 th place conference finishes very rarely result in elite 8 and final 4's. Conference champions and teams at the top of the conference are always putting themselves in favorable positions because they are so much better than 6th place teams. Damn, we actually have fans who think 6th is great , that talk of runs to the sweet 16 ! You win 2 games to get to the sweet 16. That is nice but two games is hardly a run, 3 is a little run. The national recognition on a elite 8 is very short, a day in between. Final 4 is so much bigger. Each person can decide for themselves which they prefer. My point is i value winning the conference. Players and coaches know the grind of winning the conference is a lot more than window dressing. Of course the ultimate is winning the conference and not just getting to the final 4 but winning it all like the reigning champs.
I respect what you're saying. I too would love for us to be consistently finishing top 4 in the conference but there's something special about making a run in March. I think an Elite 8 would help with recruiting as well - national publicity for an Elite 8 appearance is no joke.

I respect what you're saying. I too would love for us to be consistently finishing top 4 in the conference but there's something special about making a run in March. I think an Elite 8 would help with recruiting as well - national publicity for an Elite 8 appearance is no joke.
Agree... Was with UVA on their title run and it was one of my favorite experiences.

I played baseball at minnesota. Won 2 big ten championships. Always remember that and the excitement when we won, but nothing would have been better than going to omaha and playing in world series! Obviously different from basketball, but every fan will remember the runs in tournament. I absolutely love college basketball and maybe being 51 I'm losing some memory, but if you asked me to name the last 10 big ten basketball champions I wouldnt have a clue mainly because I dont care, but you ask me who made a great run in tourney I could probably tell you. Would love to have Purdue's season 2 years ago with Carson Edwards.

I played baseball at minnesota. Won 2 big ten championships. Always remember that and the excitement when we won, but nothing would have been better than going to omaha and playing in world series! Obviously different from basketball, but every fan will remember the runs in tournament. I absolutely love college basketball and maybe being 51 I'm losing some memory, but if you asked me to name the last 10 big ten basketball champions I wouldnt have a clue mainly because I dont care, but you ask me who made a great run in tourney I could probably tell you. Would love to have Purdue's season 2 years ago with Carson Edwards.
Congrats on your titles ! No one can name all elite 8 teams from even three years ago without looking it up.Of course the closer you get to a national title the better. One of my points was that the betteryou are the better chance you have. Plus i would never call your conference titles window dressing while i sat on the sideline and won not a single thing. If the Gophers won a Big 10 title in either football or basketball their would be a giant celebration.

Congrats on your titles ! No one can name all elite 8 teams from even three years ago without looking it up.Of course the closer you get to a national title the better. One of my points was that the betteryou are the better chance you have. Plus i would never call your conference titles window dressing while i sat on the sideline and won not a single thing. If the Gophers won a Big 10 title in either football or basketball their would be a giant celebration.
Yes it would for sure be a huge accomplishment! So does anyone know when both gach is gonna make a decision on what he wants to do?

Yes it would for sure be a huge accomplishment! So does anyone know when both gach is gonna make a decision on what he wants to do?
with zero information I suspect it is highly likely he picks the U. And no, I am not one of those fans who will rip pitino if he does not come here. I respect a kid for whatever reason he picks the school he wants.

Last edited:

with zero information I suspect it is highly likely he picks the U. And no, I am not one of those fans who will rip piton if he does not come here. I respect a kid for whatever reason he picks the school he wants.
Yeah that's my guess too. I would imagine its minnesota or overseas. Hes probably told Pitino hes coming, but just looking into overseas before he commits. I cant see him going pro quite yet!

Iowa State is only like 30 minutes further from Austin than the Twin Cities. Think getting a waiver there would be possible as well. Creighton is like five hours away. Auburn and Maryland make no sense if immediate eligibility is what he's after - though I'm a big Bruce Pearl (the coach) fan and think he'd be good there.

Iowa State is only like 30 minutes further from Austin than the Twin Cities. Think getting a waiver there would be possible as well. Creighton is like five hours away. Auburn and Maryland make no sense if immediate eligibility is what he's after - though I'm a big Bruce Pearl (the coach) fan and think he'd be good there.
Interesting on Pearl. You have been consistent with not caring how you get players. He was given show cause. To each their own.

Interesting on Pearl. You have been consistent with not caring how you get players. He was given show cause. To each their own.

I fully acknowledge that there's a bit of a sleazy car salesmany vibe with Pearl, and I'm well aware of his past transgressions. I just like the way his teams play and think he's a hell of a coach and while I don't necessarily think coaches need to be as demonstrative to illustrate their investment to their team, I get the sense that his energy is infectious and that guys would enjoy playing for him.

Not trying to convince anybody to be a fan and I know there are many (I'd assume a ton around this board) who absolutely can't stand him. But I like him - and I hope we beat him for this particular prospect.

I fully acknowledge that there's a bit of a sleazy car salesmany vibe with Pearl, and I'm well aware of his past transgressions. I just like the way his teams play and think he's a hell of a coach and while I don't necessarily think coaches need to be as demonstrative to illustrate their investment to their team, I get the sense that his energy is infectious and that guys would enjoy playing for him.

Not trying to convince anybody to be a fan and I know there are many (I'd assume a ton around this board) who absolutely can't stand him. But I like him - and I hope we beat him for this particular prospect.
No doubt that his players love him and he can flat out coach.

Iowa St. seems like a good fit for Gach. They have continued to be transfer heavy even after Hoiberg left. Not sure but I think they've continued to have success putting guys in the NBA as well. If I had more faith in Pitino, I'd be confident BG would turn into a very good player and find his way to the NBA through us. He still could even if Pitino isn't the driving force. I hope he ends up a gopher and hope he's a stud here. Love our MN guys.

Top Bottom