Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

There has not been even a hint that could be anywhere else.
I took a look at the ISU board, and none of their conjecture seemed like inside info. Just best guesses. Someone did mention that if he would be immediately eligible at Maryland he would have been a Terp a week ago.

It seems like Gach has played things really close to the vest, as nobody has really heard any whispers. I hope he becomes a Gopher and has two good years here. I think we have a lot to offer him and vice versa.

Really though if you get Gach, Carr and Robbins all playing for us this coming year, that's a great team on paper. That team should make a run
This team feels like it would lack the true star potential of a Coffey or Oturu (yes Carr is very good but I mean NBA level talent guy) but feels like it would be perhaps Pitino's deepest team. That has been a big frustration of mine with RP, just lack back end talent.

PG:Carr/Mashburn/Gach
SG:Gabe/Mutaf/Tre/Mash
SF:Gach/Ihnen/Tre/Mitchell
PF:Johnson/Ihnen/Curry/Mitchell
C: Robbins/Curry/Freeman

To me that doesnt scream B1G winning team but also doesnt collapse when 1-2 players are off the floor. I like Tre a lot and see some potential with Mutaf/Mitchell but we wouldnt be 100% counting on them to be big contributors game in and game out, which again has been an issue. Add to that now if Gabe has a poor game shooting we could divide out the minutes to other guys who should be able to provide something. Or if Curry couldnt give us minutes feels like we could work around that and not be stuck playing guys that have no business being on the floor.

This team feels like it would lack the true star potential of a Coffey or Oturu (yes Carr is very good but I mean NBA level talent guy) but feels like it would be perhaps Pitino's deepest team. That has been a big frustration of mine with RP, just lack back end talent.

To me that doesnt scream B1G winning team but also doesnt collapse when 1-2 players are off the floor. I like Tre a lot and see some potential with Mutaf/Mitchell but we wouldnt be 100% counting on them to be big contributors game in and game out, which again has been an issue. Add to that now if Gabe has a poor game shooting we could divide out the minutes to other guys who should be able to provide something. Or if Curry couldnt give us minutes feels like we could work around that and not be stuck playing guys that have no business being on the floor.

Looks like we'll have some some talent if Carr and Gach are both on the team.

I'd be pretty surprised if Mutaf is playing ahead of Tre next year. I think next year Mutaf only gets 5, maybe 10 minutes if he gets hot. He's strictly going to be a guy you put in to make a few shots and hope he doesn't screw up everywhere else.

Carr better college player than some guys now in the NBA
No doubt true. The question for me is does it translate to winning . When do we get to see that. People are listing 12 players they love, many who have never played together and have not played in the big 10. I realize that many fans do not follow anyone but the Gophers but i like to see what other schools are doing to their roster. If we have Gach, Johnson, Carr and Robbins does anyone think that puts us top 3 in the conference.

No doubt true. The question for me is does it translate to winning . When do we get to see that. People are listing 12 players they love, many who have never played together and have not played in the big 10. I realize that many fans do not follow anyone but the Gophers but i like to see what other schools are doing to their roster. If we have Gach, Johnson, Carr and Robbins does anyone think that puts us top 3 in the conference.

Not sure about Top 3. Hard to say without seeing how they gel. But I'd think it puts us Top 5-6 in the conference.

Not sure about Top 3. Hard to say without seeing how they gel. But I'd think it puts us Top 5-6 in the conference.
How they gel is the big concern for me with Pitino running things here. That's why I have to say looks good on paper. I'm just hopin' he can get the ball moving with these guys and create some flow and connection. I just don't think we've seen a lot of that in the Pitino era.

Too early for educated predictions still too much potential fluidity in rosters

I have always thought Gabe’s usage was too high (out of necessity up till this point) and spreading out his minutes with him still getting the vast majority would make him a much more efficient player both offensively and defensively. Shooters need legs and I think Gabe May be one of the greatest beneficiaries of a deeper bench. In addition defensively, if we need to face guard opponents it would be nice to run waves at the in stretches so we can stay fresh. Obviously, I think depth has been an achillies heel under RP and I think our potential depth this year could directly correlate to more wins in close games. Having Robbins will be key though!

I have always thought Gabe’s usage was too high (out of necessity up till this point) and spreading out his minutes with him still getting the vast majority would make him a much more efficient player both offensively and defensively. Shooters need legs and I think Gabe May be one of the greatest beneficiaries of a deeper bench. In addition defensively, if we need to face guard opponents it would be nice to run waves at the in stretches so we can stay fresh. Obviously, I think depth has been an achillies heel under RP and I think our potential depth this year could directly correlate to more wins in close games. Having Robbins will be key though!
Interesting. The data supports that the best teams rarely go past 8 deep.

I cant speak for BKH but for me it is less worrying about playing 10 guys 20 min per game type thing but if say Gabe is 1-9, Gach (maybe!) was in foul trouble and Mutaf wasnt ready we could play Tre 20 min a game and not be in a world of trouble. Think about the times we needed Konate for 25 min a game or Hurt for 18 min. I dont think Omersa (who i even forgot above!) needs to play over 10 min a game, but its nice to know if hes out there 5-8 a night those are good minutes. I am fine with Carr at 33 a game but last year if Pitino tried to buy him 3 min and Greenlee was out there it was just a dumpster fire. Same with Gabe, it didnt matter if he was 1-11, we had no other options, if everything works out the team will at least be able to try a few guys. If those 8-9-10-11 roster spots end up only at 5-12 min a night that seems right but at least with them i feel some confidence as opposed to a Deidhou or Buggs.

Last edited:

If we get Gach and Carr back, it makes it easy for Mutaf to not be relied on at all this year. And then whatever he gives ya is a bonus.
With those 2 (Hypothetically) and Robbins you've got 8 guys that you can rely on for sure if the season started tomorrow: Carr, Mash, Gach, Gabe, Tre, Ihnen, Johnson and Robbins. With Omersa as #9. Then you've got wild cards in Curry and Mutaf. Followed by Freeman and Mitchell.
This would all be nice as it just allows you to only get bonus production from guys that you don't NEED production from. Possibly 1 of those guys might pop in and make a difference.

Apparently Jelly Fam is fleeing Pitino once again. Now off to play for Dan Monson.

Interesting. The data supports that the best teams rarely go past 8 deep.
Especially in this era, where there is so much time for players to rest (TV timeout every 4 minutes plus all of the other timeouts). It would not make sense to play a style similar to that of late 1980s Loyola Marymount, which would probably require more depth.

Top Bottom