Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

In the context of cv19, any non grad transfer that wants to move back home, I feel like is going to have a very hard time getting denied.

Now, a non grad transfer who is moving farther away from home, that is another subject.

Let's see if Gopher boosters can step up and get Robbins' folks moved to the Twin Cities, just so he can get his waiver. :sneaky:

Is that really what he wants/thinks a team will offer him?

Gophs seems like a good fit because I'm sure they'll mix in at the 1 occasionally/let him bring it up at opportune times. Can't imagine any of the other schools making him the starting PG or giving him anything better than what we could. Maybe there recruiting pitch says otherwise.

His Ast-TO ratio was about 1:1 last year. He needs to be on the wing.
Both wants to play next year and the most likely places that happens is either Minnesota or Iowa State. Iowa State can offer more of the true PG role for him but they were really bad last year and I don't think they will be much better next year looking at who they are bringing in/losing. At Minnesota he could have a huge role and be able to run some PG but not near as much as Iowa State but if he comes to Minnesota he could be on a team that is capable of doing some damage in the NCAA tournament. Basically seems to come down to do you want the guaranteed PG role and not concerned too much with team success or do you want to be on a successful team and still get a lot of minutes but not all of them will be as the pure PG.

Both wants to play next year and the most likely places that happens is either Minnesota or Iowa State. Iowa State can offer more of the true PG role for him but they were really bad last year and I don't think they will be much better next year looking at who they are bringing in/losing. At Minnesota he could have a huge role and be able to run some PG but not near as much as Iowa State but if he comes to Minnesota he could be on a team that is capable of doing some damage in the NCAA tournament. Basically seems to come down to do you want the guaranteed PG role and not concerned too much with team success or do you want to be on a successful team and still get a lot of minutes but not all of them will be as the pure PG.
With Robbins not at all a certainty to get a waiver, I'm not too convinced that the Gophers are likely to have much more success than Iowa St is. And if those are his likely only two options to play this coming season .... well, it will be an interesting decision!

The bottom line he might not be even an average point guard. He’s a turnover machine on the wing and he or his handlers think he should be a point guard? Too much NBA. concern instead of being the best all around player he can be and letting the rest take care of itself.

Right. Seems like if he's purely focused on becoming an NBA player and widening his skillset, Iowa St. may be a better fit.
If he wants to be competitive and win some games, I agree the U looks like the better team going into the year. He could still develop nicely with us here into an NBA caliber player.
Just seems like we are going to have more options offensively. Especially if Robbins gets the waiver.

With Robbins not at all a certainty to get a waiver, I'm not too convinced that the Gophers are likely to have much more success than Iowa St is. And if those are his likely only two options to play this coming season .... well, it will be an interesting decision!
I'd be absolutely shocked if Robbins didn't get a waiver.

If Gach’s desire Is to play more time at the point...unless he is sure Carr is leaving he’s probably not coming here. If Carr does return and he chose the Gophers but wasn’t happy with his role ... that’s not good either.
Lots of information I don’t have answers to.
If Carr leaves, how good of a point guard Gach is...doesn’t really matter. He is likely the best all around ball handling, scoring player we could add in June or July.
It would be nice if he just dreamed of being a Gopher.

Gach is not a point guard, or at least not comparable to Marcus Carr level, or one that should be getting PG minutes at a Power-5 level. He is ready as a wing that occasionally we could mix in at the point. He's a wing that needs big-time work if he wants to run the point at this level, and then eventually the NBA.

Last edited:

Okay ski, but if Carr leaves the German KD is going to get a look at point guard.
Gach is not proven as a point guard, but there is something to work with and develop there. Style of play would be a pretty big factor in how effective Gach was at the position. Carr is a very unique style point guard with the ball a major portion of the shot clock. That’s not typical.

Typically point guards are the primary ball handler. Be nice to start two,three guys who can handle. Without Carr we may have Mashburn and that’s about it . Selling Gach on an Amir Coffey type roll seems a reasonable pitch. He isn’t going to Iowa State and be their starting point guard regardless of what they tell him. Should be a good opportunity to get plenty of playing time here. It would make the team better and practice very competitive if he comes here and help his NBA aspirations better than Iowa State.

Cant imagine he picks iowa state over minnesota, but what do I know. Can be pretty good with him. Pretty sure he gets waiver. We'll see though I guess. If your interested in NBA have a great season at whatever position and see where that leads you to. People say hes a turnover machine. Point guard probably not his spot lol

Gach is not a point guard, or at least not comparable to Marcus Carr level, or one that should be getting PG minutes at a Power-5 level. He is ready as a wing that occasionally we could mix in. He's a wing that needs big-time work if he wants to run the point at this level, and then eventually the NBA.

He's not going to be a PG in the NBA any more than Coffey is going to be one,

Okay ski, but if Carr leaves the German KD is going to get a look at point guard.
Gach is not proven as a point guard, but there is something to work with and develop there. Style of play would be a pretty big factor in how effective Gach was at the position. Carr is a very unique style point guard with the ball a major portion of the shot clock. That’s not typical.
Ihnen wont get a look at PG under any circumstance.

If the reason Gach doesn't choose Minnesota is because he won't be labeled as a point guard, he (or his handlers) didn't do their homework and are lacking nuance.

He won't be the "point guard" in the sense that he'll bring the ball up the floor and make the first pass like a typical point guard does, but he'll have the ball in his hands with the opportunity to make plays for himself and others a ton. If you view point guards through that lens (which I do and I believe Pitino does), then Gach would fit right in. He wouldn't be listed as the team's point guard, but all we ever hear nowadays is how the game is becoming positionless - so in theory, that shouldn't be an issue.

Typically point guards are the primary ball handler. Be nice to start two,three guys who can handle. Without Carr we may have Mashburn and that’s about it . Selling Gach on an Amir Coffey type roll seems a reasonable pitch. He isn’t going to Iowa State and be their starting point guard regardless of what they tell him. Should be a good opportunity to get plenty of playing time here. It would make the team better and practice very competitive if he comes here and help his NBA aspirations better than Iowa State.
If the reason Gach doesn't choose Minnesota is because he won't be labeled as a point guard, he (or his handlers) didn't do their homework and are lacking nuance.

He won't be the "point guard" in the sense that he'll bring the ball up the floor and make the first pass like a typical point guard does, but he'll have the ball in his hands with the opportunity to make plays for himself and others a ton. If you view point guards through that lens (which I do and I believe Pitino does), then Gach would fit right in. He wouldn't be listed as the team's point guard, but all we ever hear nowadays is how the game is becoming positionless - so in theory, that shouldn't be an issue.

Did either of you watch Iowa St much last year? I didn't at all. Plus my bball IQ is low (and some would argue my overall IQ, lol!)

But, last year Iowa St had a 6'5" guard who led the team in assists. Was a really great player and is off to the NBA now.

I assume that guy wasn't their PG. So, is it a "regular" thing that the PG wouldn't have the most assists on the team? Or is that a particular type of offense?

Did either of you watch Iowa St much last year? I didn't at all. Plus my bball IQ is low (and some would argue my overall IQ, lol!)

But, last year Iowa St had a 6'5" guard who led the team in assists. Was a really great player and is off to the NBA now.

I assume that guy wasn't their PG. So, is it a "regular" thing that the PG wouldn't have the most assists on the team? Or is that a particular type of offense?
Well the NBA looks at him as a point guard and he was their point guard his entire time there.

Well the NBA looks at him as a point guard and he was their point guard his entire time there.
Ok, I was wrong then.

Just interesting that their other two starting guards were 6'2" and 6'3". But I guess of course height doesn't automatically dictate position.

But that would just strengthen the argument that Gach wants to come in and try to be that guy for them this coming season. I would say it's all but a lock, then.

Highly unlikely he will be the lead guard at Iowa St. Although(they are likely selling/telling him he as a good shot at running at the PG.)he has zero chance at the U with Carr....at the U he would be a 3 or a 2 with Gabe coming off the pine.

How can you say highly unlikely, if we don't know what Iowa St has promised him? I guess we'll see what he decides tomorrow, and try to infer from whatever info the announcement includes!

Iowa st board posters seem to think Gach is heading there.

They can't possibly imagine any player they are recruiting would come to the U instead of them. I've seen that attitude on message boards before.

They can tell him he’s their point guard. Doesn’t mean he will be by any means. The perception may be the Big Twelve plays a more up and down game which may appeal to him. But the numbers show the Big Ten is a higher scoring league. He may prefer the smaller city. Whatever his decision won’t impact the Gophers as much as most seem to think imo

I do not think Prohm or Pitino are promising him anything more than the chance to compete for playing time at whatever positions that help the team the most. They are looking at ways to play guys in combination.

It just seems like there's not a lot of energy or momentum towards the Gophs landing Gach. All I see on GH is predicting potentially elsewhere, mainly Iowa St., and there really hasn't been a lot of buzz amongst sports media in the area talking about him coming here.
I really hope we land him and thought originally we had a better chance than anybody. Not totally sure why the vibe doesn't feel that way anymore.

I do not think Prohm or Pitino are promising him anything more than the chance to compete for playing time at whatever positions that help the team the most. They are looking at ways to play guys in combination.
Probably right, but I have this feeling iowa state promising him more. Kinda baffling by someone who thinks they can play point when they're a turnover machine at the 2 or 3.

It just seems like there's not a lot of energy or momentum towards the Gophs landing Gach. All I see on GH is predicting potentially elsewhere, mainly Iowa St., and there really hasn't been a lot of buzz amongst sports media in the area talking about him coming here.
I really hope we land him and thought originally we had a better chance than anybody. Not totally sure why the vibe doesn't feel that way anymore.
I don't think any program has a lot of energy or momentum towards landing Both because there really isn't a lot of information that comes from Both's side. If someone's board is feeling that way right now it is just because they have talked themselves into it and not based on actual information. If I had to put money down on who the choice is tomorrow it would be on Minnesota.

We do it here all the time !
I have seen zero people on this board who "can't imagine" any player not coming to the U. I have seen people who are optimistic (small group), but not any in the "can't imagine" category. In fact I would say nearly half of the people believe are "there is no way" a given recruit is coming to the U much of the time.

Top Bottom