Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

we have no available sholarships now for those commenting on that, currently have only one walk on roster spot available
So then, Robbins or bust.

Really wonder if Curry can hold down that spot, if needed.

per Marcus:

A transfer from Utah, Gach committed to his home state Gophers over Auburn, Creighton, Iowa State and Maryland. A 6-foot-7 junior guard and potential starter, he is the final piece to what could be a much-improved basketball team for Richard Pitino next season.

“I had a lot of greats options,” Gach told the Star Tribune on Monday night. “Being back home, getting closer to family during these bad times and having the opportunity to play for the home state is a blessing.”

A month after declaring for the NBA draft in April, Gach decided he would transfer if he returned to school. The Gophers are the closest to home. So, that gives Gach a better chance to receive an NCAA waiver to avoid sitting out the 2020-21 season.

“[But] it means a lot to me to come home and play so family and friends can get to see me in person and not just on TV,” Gach said.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had a kid go from baseline to baseline faster than what Both could do with the basketball,” Austin coach Kris Fadness said. “He could get a defensive rebound and be at the rim in three dribbles on the other end. Just a dynamic athlete and explosive in the open court.”

Gach left the state with dreams of playing in the NBA. And now he returns with those same aspirations.

“Obviously, getting to the NBA is the goal,” said Gach’s older brother Gach Gach. “[Finding] a place that can help him develop into the player he wants to be.”

Go Gophers!!

So then, Robbins or bust.

Really wonder if Curry can hold down that spot, if needed.
I think we'd be able to manage even without Robbins, long as Carr is back. I think that just means the combo of Omersa/Curry/Freeman. That 3some should be capable at this point IMO.

But not to get confused, I want Robbins as the starting C Day 1. That makes us a better team no question.

per Sid:

• The Gophers and Richard Pitino getting a commitment from Austin’s Both Gach to transfer from Utah was huge, and now the next step is getting Gach eligible to play this fall, because the Big Ten is looking like the toughest conference in the country. ESPN ran a preseason ranking that had Iowa fifth, Wisconsin sixth, Michigan State eighth, Ohio State 20th, Rutgers 22nd and Indiana and Michigan just outside of the Top 25.

Go Gophers!!

Evans Seven: Winners of the transfer wars

2. Minnesota

Richard Pitino absolutely hit it out of the park this spring, thanks to his work via the transfer market.

Brandon Johnson is the perfect one-year producer in the frontcourt, and he brings loads of prior work completed at Western Michigan. Granted, the step up from the MAC to the Big Ten is sizable. But the role carved out for him, especially if a healthy Eric Curry can return to the floor, should allow for a seamless transition.

It looks as if Johnson will play right away but asked to sit out this season is Liam Robbins - quite possibly the top NBA Draft prospect in the Missouri Valley last year - will be a factor along the frontline and a major contributor when he eventually sees the court again. Finally, Both Gach
was a major reason for optimism at Utah heading into the fall. Now in the Twin Cities, Gach might also be forced to sit this season, which should only make his long-awaited return that much more inviting a year from now.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah this is a weird take. I’m guessing it’s just poor phrasing. Neither will be asked to sit. Pitino desperately wants both to play. It was his pitch to guys like Drew Peterson and Morris Udeze, that they could come in and play right away.

I think Both is a 99.9% chance to get the waiver, Robbins maybe a 65% chance. Those are the arbitrary numbers my gut puts on them.

I do agree that Pitino hit it out of the park this spring. Brandon Johnson and Both Gach are both upgrades to last year. Robbins makes the loss of Oturu manageable, and not a gaping hole. Mutaf is a nice roll of the dice. We did the same last June and it didn’t work out (Greenlee) but that is what sometimes happens when you take a chance.

Kalscheur and Carr should improve with experience. Having Ihnen and Williams as our main bench contributors with a year of experience and Mashburn mixing in plus a little spark of energy from Omersa and veteran presence from Curry...I am really excited about this team’s potential.

Last edited:

per Goodman:

BIGGEST WINNERS

1) Minnesota –
Richard Pitino and the Gophers added a couple of starters — as long as Liam Robbins (14.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg) and Both Gach wind up getting waivers from the NCAA to play this season (which should happen). The 7-foot Robbins, the nephew of Minnesota assistant Ed Conroy, is a major impact guy, as is Gach, who averaged 10.7 points last season for the Utah Utes. Gach should get the waiver because he transferred back closer to home.

Go Gophers!!

You are correct on IW's line but LMU hammered LBSU by 24 points. LMU may be pretty decent.
Ah thanks. My bad. Typing too quickly. I also think LMU could be pretty good. They seemed well coached (and were good sports being holed up here for however many days it was)

Top Bottom