Ben Johnson and this team

Yeah. Let me be clear, me saying they aren’t very good isn’t a knock on the players or the coach in terms of effort and maximization of talent…it is simply a comment on the ceiling of the roster makeup
Honestly I think it is the use of "really bad team" that is sticking out to those of us that don't agree with your assessment.

To me, a really bad team is one that goes out and gets crushed every night and looks bad in the process. Stupid mistakes, terrible shots, dumb fouls, lack of effort...... Towards the end of last season the Gophers were playing like a really bad team, getting blown out by teams they should at the very least have been able to compete with.

This team is going to struggle because of the lack of depth and size, but they also look like they are going to be a tough out and not just roll over for teams. They will win some games we don't expect them to. Even if they end up finishing in the lower part of the standings, they can still be a solid group who came together for one year and played well.

I'm not even sure what that word would officially be.

Is he on record with a statement like "The reason I hired Ben Johnson, is: X,Y, and Z". I would be surprised if he let himself be pinned down like that, on such a risky hire. But I don't recall.
I only skimmed over this just now, but I was pretty sure I remembered Coyle making somewhat explicit mention of recruiting in the region/state in his comments about the hire.

Honestly I think it is the use of "really bad team" that is sticking out to those of us that don't agree with your assessment.

To me, a really bad team is one that goes out and gets crushed every night and looks bad in the process. Stupid mistakes, terrible shots, dumb fouls, lack of effort...... Towards the end of last season the Gophers were playing like a really bad team, getting blown out by teams they should at the very least have been able to compete with.

This team is going to struggle because of the lack of depth and size, but they also look like they are going to be a tough out and not just roll over for teams. They will win some games we don't expect them to. Even if they end up finishing in the lower part of the standings, they can still be a solid group who came together for one year and played well.
To me a really bad team is a team that’s going to lose a lot of games.

Who cares - you really need a dozen posts in this thread to convey this idea?
I’m responding to people who respond to me.

Make it a baker’s dozen

hate to tell you, we really don’t need any posts about anything and I’m probably here for the same reason as you. To talk gophers sports.

Couldn't help but think about the parents of the team after tonight's win. I'm sure there was a little apprehension about their son coming to the U where Johnson had never been a head coach before. I'm sure they are happy right now!
How about the players?
Our starters are all MEN, these aren't freshman. They choose to come here, their parents don't have input like they do for high schoolers, at least I sure hope they don't.

I am thinking about the players.
Beating MI in Ann Arbor is no small feat!

How about the players?
Our starters are all MEN, these aren't freshman. They choose to come here, their parents don't have input like they do for high schoolers, at least I sure hope they don't.

We are seeing first hand when a bunch of guys who are ready to work come together. These guys have embraced the opportunity to play at the Big Ten level and seem determined to make the most of it.

Amazing to see a team gel so quickly. Who knows where this crazy ride will end but has been an awesome start to the season and so much better than anyone expected.

I didn’t see this coming. I was at a little bar Up North. Wake Forest was playing School for the Blind. I asked to switch it to the Gophers and got a hard time from a guy. Great win. They are a bunch of journeyman playing hard. Love it.

How about the players?

First time in 10 years, so he's already done something in less than 10 games Richard didn't in eight seasons. Elite!

Fun team to watch isn't it? Ben and staff demonstrating they can coach, and these players demonstrating they are solid players, no matter how many they end up winning.
No doubt

my prediction of the number of wins was never a criticism of the in game coaching or of the effort of the players

the roster isn’t that good.

they’re proving me wrong so far and I hope they continue to do so

Lol... you likely won't hear from Some Guy again for sometime. Nothing he posts is credible anymore.
My take that I don’t think we win more than 4-5 conference games means I can’t come back the board?

im glad you are right and I am wrong so hard maybe we will be much better Han I predicted (we are already at least a little better than I predicted)

Couldn't help but think about the parents of the team after tonight's win. I'm sure there was a little apprehension about their son coming to the U where Johnson had never been a head coach before. I'm sure they are happy right now!
Hell yes!! That's a big leap of faith to go and play for an unknown/unproven coach!! It's just awesome to see it coming together so fast!! Gotta be fun as hell in that locker room!

I was just amazed to see us handle the pressure defense by Michigan without turning the ball over. Petino teams would have folded fast down the stretch. And glory of all simple things, we actually in bound the ball with ease., without burning up the timeouts. I remember the horror of watching Us try to in bounds the ball in the past.
We look like a tough team to play against, especially when we shoot a little. Big confidence boosting win tonight.

How about the players?

Let me put it differently. The MEN made a decision to come here. Meanwhile the parents are wondering if they made the right decision. I would think after tonight, the parents feel much better. I agree, beating MI in Ann Arbor is no small feat.

I was just amazed to see us handle the pressure defense by Michigan without turning the ball over. Petino teams would have folded fast down the stretch. And glory of all simple things, we actually in bound the ball with ease., without burning up the timeouts. I remember the horror of watching Us try to in bounds the ball in the past.
We look like a tough team to play against, especially when we shoot a little. Big confidence boosting win tonight.
Except for still not getting the ball over half court. I swear we seem to have the most 10 second violations every year. Hopefully we get plenty of opportunities (ie: late game leads) to improve as I’m sure this will be a point of emphasis in practice this week!

Another loser obsessed with my job.

Do you remember the beginning of the Helen Keller movie where she is walking around the dinner table like a little monster? That's you with the English language. No one expects you to be able to function at the level of a non-disabled person, but with some effort, you can come a long way.

Lets put the merits of your post aside and lets just get you to a point where you are somewhat able to convey a message.

I know, you're obsessed with job, so you NEED to shoehorn it into this discussion. It's a necessity, lets talk about how to do it. So lets start with the premise that we need to bring up my job in this discussion.

The generic rip on lawyers is that they are deceitful. I believe that was your failed attempt at that point. So, if you were going to try to make that point, this is how it would have been done.

"Good thing you are a lawyer. Alternative facts . . ."
  • The idea you're trying to convey is that because I am being a typical lawyer using alternative facts.
  • I'd also suggest bridging these concepts a little. Right now, you have two points you want to make but you're not smart enough to do it. You just kind of puked things (incorrectly puked them) and you expect the reader to do all the work.
  • Examples:
    • "With all of those alternative facts, good thing you are a lawyer".
    • "You can tell you're a lawyer the way you keep repeating alternative facts."
If you're trying to suggest I'm not really a lawyer, you need to walk your reader into this a lot more.

"Good thing you're not a lawyer because you're not very good at persuading people with your alternative facts."

In general, it just takes a little work and even you can get there. Obsessing over another man's job also makes you look intimidated. Going to law school is really not an accomplishment (the world has way too many lawyers), so there is no need to be intimidated and bring it up out of nowhere.
No. I was pointing out all of the hearsay "evidence" that you were using to support your conclusion. Again, you make too many assumptions.

I was also addressing how pompous and condescending you can be in your posts. You reinforced it perfectly in your reply!

We will see at the end of the season. The conference is down. So that’s why I no longer think it’ll be close to an 0fer
So this is your escape clause in case they win a few games.... got it.

So this is your escape clause in case they win a few games.... got it.
“Escape clause?”

I don’t need an escape clause. I don’t think the team is good enough to win much in the big ten.

so far I’m wrong. That’s a good thing. Don’t need an escape clause.

Except for still not getting the ball over half court. I swear we seem to have the most 10 second violations every year. Hopefully we get plenty of opportunities (ie: late game leads) to improve as I’m sure this will be a point of emphasis in practice this week!
if there is a good aspect to getting a 10 second violation, it is that we don't panic and throw a live-ball turnover. Take the 10 second violation and get the defense set instead of giving up a layup or an open shot it a scramble situation. I know coaches who are much happier with a pass into the 3rd row than a live ball turnover and it seems like Ben might be in that camp.
going back aways, how many layups did Tubby's teams give up trying to reverse the ball from the wing to the top? If I remember right, Ralph Sampson and Rodney Williams were always chasing their turnovers down the court.

Lots of these guys weren't playing in the B1G. I am sure that they were thrilled to have their sons get a B1G scholarship and to be able to play in front of fans after Covid.....glad they all signed up!

Top Bottom