Ben Johnson and this team

Experience matters. A lot of guys who know how to play and play hard.
Johnson was a gritty, hard driving player and you can see that mentality in his players. Fun to watch.

First of all, my grapevine tells me that it wasn't a diversity hire; it was a budget hire. At least according to my source. OR...maybe we should take Coyle at his word that he was impressed with Ben when they spoke and that compelled him to take this risk.

It's not a knock on Ben to give some or even much of the credit to Thorson and the rest of his staff. That's the way it's supposed to work, right? Hey, would Phil Jackson have had the same success without Tex Winter? One way or another, I think we have Thorson here from this point forward until he retires. He's kind of a secret weapon. AND...let's take Thorson at his word when he said that he knew years ago that he'd be working for Ben Johnson someday.

I don't know what to make of this team, and I mean that in a good way. We could end up at a point later in the season when they've hit a wall of sorts or get into a slump, or whatever, but that won't change that this team is well coached and knows what they're doing out there. And they've won close games! They won't win all the close games, of course, but you have to like their poise and moxy, staring other teams in the face and getting them to blink.

I remember thinking, during the hiring process, there were SO MANY awesome, interested candidates, and the U could not go wrong hiring ANY of them. My favorite was Craig Smith because of how well schooled they were and how well they executed. I never dreamed we'd see the same kind of heady play and execution under Ben, whose hire devastated me. Regardless of what happens the rest of the year, I rest comfortable that they made a heck of a hire, and I was very, very wrong.

The thing that I wonder--and I posted this sentiment in another thread--is whether constituting a team largely of experienced transfers is an undiscovered way of doing business. These guys have seen it all and done it all, and they've developed at a lower level where they could get playing time and leadership development that they almost certainly wouldn't have gotten at a high major level. If Ben and his staff have now shown the ability to get a team of strangers to mesh very quickly and thoroughly--and that seems to be what's happened here--can that be repeated? I get the business from people for respecting the job Calipari does in having so many newcomers and a newly constituted roster every year and getting them to mesh. That's way easier said than done, even with their high talent levels. If he can do that there perennially with freshman, can it be done perennially with upperclassmen?

But it is. There’s nothing wrong with that. Other than that you’re your assumption is it racist. Ben has the cojones to say you’re in charge of the defense I may be in charge of all the things. It’s beautiful. Enjoy it

This team and Ben and the rest of our staff have already exceeded all of my expectations for this season. If this team even sniffs the bubble, I would have to say it’d be one of the best coaching performances I’ve ever seen in any sport.

First of all, my grapevine tells me that it wasn't a diversity hire; it was a budget hire. At least according to my source. OR...maybe we should take Coyle at his word that he was impressed with Ben when they spoke and that compelled him to take this risk.

It's not a knock on Ben to give some or even much of the credit to Thorson and the rest of his staff. That's the way it's supposed to work, right? Hey, would Phil Jackson have had the same success without Tex Winter? One way or another, I think we have Thorson here from this point forward until he retires. He's kind of a secret weapon. AND...let's take Thorson at his word when he said that he knew years ago that he'd be working for Ben Johnson someday.

I don't know what to make of this team, and I mean that in a good way. We could end up at a point later in the season when they've hit a wall of sorts or get into a slump, or whatever, but that won't change that this team is well coached and knows what they're doing out there. And they've won close games! They won't win all the close games, of course, but you have to like their poise and moxy, staring other teams in the face and getting them to blink.

I remember thinking, during the hiring process, there were SO MANY awesome, interested candidates, and the U could not go wrong hiring ANY of them. My favorite was Craig Smith because of how well schooled they were and how well they executed. I never dreamed we'd see the same kind of heady play and execution under Ben, whose hire devastated me. Regardless of what happens the rest of the year, I rest comfortable that they made a heck of a hire, and I was very, very wrong.

The thing that I wonder--and I posted this sentiment in another thread--is whether constituting a team largely of experienced transfers is an undiscovered way of doing business. These guys have seen it all and done it all, and they've developed at a lower level where they could get playing time and leadership development that they almost certainly wouldn't have gotten at a high major level. If Ben and his staff have now shown the ability to get a team of strangers to mesh very quickly and thoroughly--and that seems to be what's happened here--can that be repeated? I get the business from people for respecting the job Calipari does in having so many newcomers and a newly constituted roster every year and getting them to mesh. That's way easier said than done, even with their high talent levels. If he can do that there perennially with freshman, can it be done perennially with upperclassmen?
Really successful people know how to collaborate and delegate. That might be what we are seeing with Johnson and his staff.

I think you make a good point about working with older players. This is one of the calmest college teams I've ever watched. B1G road games might not be so daunting. Johnson seems really chill on the sideline and the team takes on that persona. Pitino was constantly in the refs' ears or into it to some degree (something short of berating) with his players. That might buy this team more respect from the B1G refs than a rookie coach normally gets. It's a small sample, but a calm coach and older players seems to work well.

no.

Dang...! President Gabel really knows her hoops, huh?

Since she is the one who hired Ben (according to all the "diversity hire" people, anyway) She must really know what she's doing. Glad to have such an elite basketball mind at the helm of Minnesota Gophers basketball! Maybe Mark Coyle can learn a few things from her.

Have to give them credit. Up to this point they have played way better than I thought possible.

Playing hard, playing smart, making shots and playing solid defense. It is a pretty amazing start.
You said it all. playing smart, playing together and playing defense is exactly what this program needed. This staff demands it.

So much better of an X’s and O’s Coach. You can see what the offense is trying to do and as much as I liked Carr sitting up top and throwing it around (or usually just dribbling) until the clock is inside of 10 seconds and watch Carr drive is not a good offense. This team moves the ball and plays D. I was never sure of the hire because of lack of head coaching experience but clearly he has what it takes. Excited to see him run with more heralded players but this is damn fun to watch!

Your kidding...right?
Have you ever seen a fan of a winning team give credit to the black assistant coach over a white head coach? To give Thorson credit (who Johnson hired BTW), is so racist and offensive, I felt compelled to post my extremely sarcastic remark. I don't think the poster means to be racist, but it is so beyond his imagination to think that this winning team should be credited to Johnson. That's a micro-aggression if I've ever seen it. I have no doubt Thorson is contributing. But this is Ben Johnson's team. If it was losing would we say it's Thorson's fault??

The team’s performance has confirmed what I’ve always thought: 1. A group of good shooters who are coachable/smart players are better than a bunch of freak athletes who can’t shoot. Pitino regularly recruited the latter. 2. Couple players who fit the first description with great coaching and you have a chance to win. Often.

Have you ever seen a fan of a winning team give credit to the black assistant coach over a white head coach? To give Thorson credit (who Johnson hired BTW), is so racist and offensive, I felt compelled to post my extremely sarcastic remark. I don't think the poster means to be racist, but it is so beyond his imagination to think that this winning team should be credited to Johnson. That's a micro-aggression if I've ever seen it. I have no doubt Thorson is contributing. But this is Ben Johnson's team. If it was losing would we say it's Thorson's fault??
I think if they were losing because of bad defense, Thorson would be blamed. Everyone knows he's the defense guy and if it isn't working, it's his "fault."

Do I? Because I don’t agree with your narrative… nice try
Thorson coaches the D and the D is the reason they are winning. He is isnt denigrating Johnson. He is just giving credit where it is do.

Seriously you need to take a breathe. Is it a knock on Fleck when people praise Rossi's D?

Uh...what? Are you high? You reading racism into giving the defensive coach credit for the team winning based on defense says more about you than anything.

If he gives credit to a White Player is that racism too? Does all praise need to be given out equally or is there some "This Isnt Racism" formula?

I am as bleeding heart as they come and I think this post is one of the stupidest I have ever seen. There is no microaggression, there is just someone looking for a reason to find racism where it doesn't exist. Race has literally zero to do with the comment at all but you just had to find a way to make it about that so you could get up on your high horse and prove you are better minded than everyone else. Quick note: you aren't.

Just because someone mentioned Thorson as a big reason the team is winning (you know the coach everyone wanted to come back here for years and who everyone was excited to have back because his teams play hard especially on D) isn't a knock on Ben Johnson and it certainly isn't some racist wink and nod. They aren't dog whistling or disparaging, they are giving credit where it was due...something that happens on this board all the time. The only one injecting race into it is you and again that speaks more to you.

(if your post was in jest or sarcasm than I apologize for being stupid)

I think if they were losing because of bad defense, Thorson would be blamed. Everyone knows he's the defense guy and if it isn't working, it's his "fault."
Please give me an example where a white assistant coach to a black head coach was blamed for losses. I will tip my hat to you

Please give me an example where a white assistant coach to a black head coach was blamed for losses. I will tip my hat to you
Where is the converse -- who are the examples of black scapegoats for white head coaches? Dino Babers fired his white offensive coordinator. I think his very firing meant he is being blamed for losses.

Just wow! I don’t know how this season plays out, but NO ONE thought we would be undefeated and able to win a road game like today. Hats off to the staff and players!!
And he has Payne, Carrington and Ola Joseph coming in next year. Plus the portal again. Think the naysayers even have to admit that the team is well coached. Few more players…..

skin color aside, here's a thought:

some of the critics of the Johnson hire said he was too low-key.

But - a coach without a huge ego may be better suited to work with his assistant coaches for a true collaboration that gets the best out of everyone.

And, that type of attitude could spread to the team. No stars, no egos - everybody pitch in and do what they're good at and come up with the best possible result.

the more I think about it, the more I like the Johnson hire. If he can land a few transfers to go with next year's recruiting class, this could be a lot of fun to watch.

Top Bottom