All Things Tubby Smith Thread UPDATED 5/27: Vince Taylor joins Tubby at TTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would have preferred Tubby end up in a better situation than TT.

Took a haircut with pay, location, conference prestige, etc.

Best of luck to him regardless.

Poor Saul...I am accepting donations on his behalf right now and will pass them along to him

Congrats Tubby...I'm sure you will do a great job and make many in MN regret the decision of letting you go. It's Tubbytine in TT.

Post is even better the second time around, Parski. Do you have your screenname yet for the TT board? Tubbylicious is probably available.

I for one will never regret letting Tubby go, irrespective of outcome at either place.

@georgedohrmann: Tubby Smith hire by #TexasTech is a "win the press conference" kinda move. Why not go football team route & hire young, smart assistant?

Go Gophers!!

Assuming this goes down, wish Tubby nothing but the best. He ran his course here, but I think he does have some solid years in him if he can get a fresh start. Obviously the dude likes coaching and I think he'll be excited to try something fresh.

@sethdavishoops: I like Tubby Smith but the fact that Texas Tech would turn to him when there are so many qualified, hungry assts. out there is perplexing.

Go Gophers!!

That pretty much says it all. Everybody loves Tubby and hates Minnesota for firing him, but come to think of it they still can't imagine anyone hiring the guy. Cognitive dissonance anyone?

Post is even better the second time around, Parski. Do you have your screenname yet for the TT board? Tubbylicious is probably available.

I for one will never regret letting Tubby go, irrespective of outcome at either place.

We know. You and Tiny are twins right?

That pretty much says it all. Everybody loves Tubby and hates Minnesota for firing him, but come to think of it they still can't imagine anyone hiring the guy. Cognitive dissonance anyone?

Maybe beacuse their AD is smart and told Tubby get rid of your assistants and then bring some who will be the next coaches. For the time being, win some games here to boost our reputation. That's what I thought NT would do if he had any sense.

Psych 1001 in Willey Hall. You are good, Bad. Very good.

I would have preferred to see Tubby go to Highpoint or some smaller place where he could recruit guys who don't necessarily have NBA in their futures to succeed, and then cruise in to knock off a number one seed as a sixteen. He would have solidified his redemption with something like that. If he thought it was tough to recruit at Minnesota, he has another thing coming in Lubbock.

Are we pretty sure the big three will follow him there?

Tubby Smith by the numbers. B1G wins and NCAA appearances and wins with MN

My friends from out East are giving me such a hard time because we fired Tubby Smith. The Tubby Kentucky brand, along with an unfair bias because of the Indiana win and the UCLA win have really blinded a lot of people to Tubby's mediocre results. I cheered for Tubby for 6 years and I think if you'll look, you won't find a negative post that I have made about him. I am not troll. But after bickering with my friends for a week, I was truly interested to dig a bit deeper. Many people on GH contend that "what really matters" are B1G wins and NCAA appearances and wins. It's pretty striking when you look at the facts.

My argument was that a mediocre B1G hire will produce very similar results to Tubby, therefor the risk/reward of firing him makes sense. We don't have to hit the lottery to reproduce Tubby results.

Let's take a look at the facts. (I am sure I screwed up a thing or two.. please call me on it)

Total B1G Wins – Last 6 Years
Tubby's entire B1G body of work at Minnesota (46 wins) has been below average (55 wins). Look at Tubby's trend. Then look at Iowa's Trend. Or Michigan's trend. Or Indiana's trend.

e7j8fm.gif

Total B1G Wins – Last 3 Years
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He needed to "rebuild" the program after Dan Monson left. Let's look at the last 50% of his tenure. Tubby's program is in place. His recruits. Oops. That didn't work. He's actually worse. 9th place. Average over that time period is almost 25 wins. Elite teams are staying elite and other teams are getting better.

7086pu.gif

Best B1G Season in Last 6 Years
Surely Tubby has snuck in a really good year or two, right? Nope. That didn't work either. Even Penn State sneaks in a 10-win season during Tubby's tenure.

2wnxoj5.gif

This Year
Ok, 6th year. Program is fully in place. Ranked as high as 8th in the country. Life is good. Oops. Late-season Tubby ball takes over. 8 wins.

2mz08z8.gif

NCAA Tourney Wins – Last 6 Years
Michigan St., Ohio State and Wisconsin are in it just about every year. Michigan, Indiana and Iowa are trending upwards. Tubby has 1 win in six years. Doesn't look good when you look at the rest of the conference. Oh, to be Mich St. or Ohio State.

j7ag7s.jpg

NCAA Tourney Wins – Last 3 Years
How about we just look at the last three years. He actually fairs worse. Indiana and Michigan are trending upwards.

2qwhdso.gif

No response from my friends yet.

If he thought it was tough to recruit at Minnesota, he has another thing coming in Lubbock.

Butch: "Jeesh, all Bolivia can't look like this."

Sundance: "How do you know? This might be the garden spot of the whole country. People may travel hundreds of miles just to get to this spot where we're standing now. This might be the Atlantic City, New Jersey of all Bolivia for all you know."

I think it is a dirty shame that BarnBoy's thread got dumped into this 7 page monster. He went through all that work, I think that deserves a thread of its own. I get it there are times when things get out of hand with similar topics but there has to be some common sense applied to combining the threads. Really, it is getting to the point where there only has to be 4 or 5 threads, each dozen's of pages long. Sheesh. I love Gopherhole but the thread combining gets to me at times. BarnBoy's research deserved its own conversation. A lot of people, like me, get tired of threads and trying to follow them once they reach 3 or 4 pages. There are some really thoughtful comments that are lost to a lot of eyes when this is done.

I think it is a dirty shame that BarnBoy's thread got dumped into this 7 page monster. He went through all that work, I think that deserves a thread of its own. I get it there are times when things get out of hand with similar topics but there has to be some common sense applied to combining the threads. Really, it is getting to the point where there only has to be 4 or 5 threads, each dozen's of pages long. Sheesh. I love Gopherhole but the thread combining gets to me at times. BarnBoy's research deserved its own conversation. A lot of people, like me, get tired of threads and trying to follow them once they reach 3 or 4 pages. There are some really thoughtful comments that are lost to a lot of eyes when this is done.

Seconded. The combination also swallowed my one positive day off contribution to the forum in response to BarnBoy. I will wait until tomorrow for another burst of insight.

+1

If I hear how much Tubby and Donna love Lubbock, I will have to question everything he said while he was here. That said, I hope Tubby does well there.

Seconded. The combination also swallowed my one positive day off contribution to the forum in response to BarnBoy. I will wait until tomorrow for another burst of insight.

Ha! I didn't mention it but my reply to BarnBoy was also lost thanks to this action.

Thank you. It's lost now.

My friends from out East are giving me such a hard time because we fired Tubby Smith. The Tubby Kentucky brand, along with an unfair bias because of the Indiana win and the UCLA win have really blinded a lot of people to Tubby's mediocre results. I cheered for Tubby for 6 years and I think if you'll look, you won't find a negative post that I have made about him. I am not troll. But after bickering with my friends for a week, I was truly interested to dig a bit deeper. Many people on GH contend that "what really matters" are B1G wins and NCAA appearances and wins. It's pretty striking when you look at the facts.

My argument was that a mediocre B1G hire will produce very similar results to Tubby, therefor the risk/reward of firing him makes sense. We don't have to hit the lottery to reproduce Tubby results.

Let's take a look at the facts. (I am sure I screwed up a thing or two.. please call me on it)

Total B1G Wins – Last 6 Years
Tubby's entire B1G body of work at Minnesota (46 wins) has been below average (55 wins). Look at Tubby's trend. Then look at Iowa's Trend. Or Michigan's trend. Or Indiana's trend.

e7j8fm.gif

Total B1G Wins – Last 3 Years
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He needed to "rebuild" the program after Dan Monson left. Let's look at the last 50% of his tenure. Tubby's program is in place. His recruits. Oops. That didn't work. He's actually worse. 9th place. Average over that time period is almost 25 wins. Elite teams are staying elite and other teams are getting better.

7086pu.gif

Best B1G Season in Last 6 Years
Surely Tubby has snuck in a really good year or two, right? Nope. That didn't work either. Even Penn State sneaks in a 10-win season during Tubby's tenure.

2wnxoj5.gif

This Year
Ok, 6th year. Program is fully in place. Ranked as high as 8th in the country. Life is good. Oops. Late-season Tubby ball takes over. 8 wins.

2mz08z8.gif

NCAA Tourney Wins – Last 6 Years
Michigan St., Ohio State and Wisconsin are in it just about every year. Michigan, Indiana and Iowa are trending upwards. Tubby has 1 win in six years. Doesn't look good when you look at the rest of the conference. Oh, to be Mich St. or Ohio State.

j7ag7s.jpg

NCAA Tourney Wins – Last 3 Years
How about we just look at the last three years. He actually fairs worse. Indiana and Michigan are trending upwards.

2qwhdso.gif

No response from my friends yet.

Nice work on the analysis. I'm not a Tubby basher either. Loved him during his first 4-5 years here and was one of the people who suggested putting Tubby talk on hold until after the season. He's a great man, but these types of statistics is exactly why I don't understand the outrage with national media (and Parski). I don't want to ask you to go through all that time again, but I'd be curious to see what these numbers would look like over the 6 years prior to Tubby's tenure for comparison.

+1000

I hate the combining of threads. I find it much easier to manage a number of threads than these huge ones. I was away Friday and Saturday and the huge threads make it impossible to catch up.

Barn Boy's analysis was well done, by the way.

Nice work on the analysis. I'm not a Tubby basher either. Loved him during his first 4-5 years here and was one of the people who suggested putting Tubby talk on hold until after the season. He's a great man, but these types of statistics is exactly why I don't understand the outrage with national media (and Parski). I don't want to ask you to go through all that time again, but I'd be curious to see what these numbers would look like over the 6 years prior to Tubby's tenure for comparison.

No stats, but as a season ticket holder during the Monson era, and the Smith era, there is absolutely no comparison as to the product on the floor. We are light years ahead of where we were then when Coach Monson proved that he did not have recruiting or technical prowess to succeed in the B1G. The upgrade in the quality of the league may skew the stats some, but anyone who thinks we are the same now as then is not paying attention or has distorted memories. The right hire now could lift us up pretty quickly. That was not going to be the case in the last transition.

No stats, but as a season ticket holder during the Monson era, and the Smith era, there is absolutely no comparison as to the product on the floor. We are light years ahead of where we were then when Coach Monson proved that he did not have recruiting or technical prowess to succeed in the B1G. The upgrade in the quality of the league may skew the stats some, but anyone who thinks we are the same now as then is not paying attention or has distorted memories. The right hire now could lift us up pretty quickly. That was not going to be the case in the last transition.

I definitely agree. Wasn't trying to imply we are the same or worse. I just think some (particularly national media) might think Tubby's time was better than it really was. He certainly improved us. He just failed to take the next step and wasn't improving after his second year. I just think a statistcal comparison would be interesting to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom