All Things Tubby Smith Thread UPDATED 5/27: Vince Taylor joins Tubby at TTech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we finished 8th?

If that's the case, my claim is that I could have matched that. At least. Admittedly, however, my recruiting would have definitely sucked - even worse than Tubby's this last year. But, I assume I also would not have had the private jet either, so.....

True. Quite a feat, eh?

Tubby rocks!!! Congrats on his 7th, 8th or 9th finish, which was probably a watermark for him!!! At least given the DPdoll tiebreakers, he can say on his resume that he finished 7th in the Big Ten in his best year even though he had the same record as the other teams that he tied with!!

Tubby rocks!!! Congrats on his 7th, 8th or 9th finish, which was probably a watermark for him!!! At least given the DPdoll tiebreakers, he can say on his resume that he finished 7th in the Big Ten in his best year even though he had the same record as the other teams that he tied with!!

jamalo, ties mean you have same record as the other teams.

PiPress: Gophers basketball: Mbakwe and Tubby Smith exchange Father’s Day wishes

Trevor Mbakwe has been through a whirlwind workout schedule with NBA teams. But he took the time Sunday to contact his former Gophers coach Tubby Smith to wish him Happy Father’s Day.

“We exchanged some Happy Father’s Day texts to each other; we had some conversation,” Mbakwe said after working out with the Timberwolves on Monday. “He’s been through this process a lot with his players. He said (former Kentucky player) Tayshaun Prince went through 19 workouts himself. I was complaining about 13.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...kwe-and-tubby-exchange-fathers-day-greetings/

Go Gophers!!

That's weird. Because I've never heard Tubby even mention Tayshaun before.

per Amelia:

I ran into former Gophers Tubby Smith, now at Texas Tech, on Friday. He said that he and his wife Donna were settling into a “warmer and dustier” home and reiterated that coaching at Minnesota is a much tougher job than most think.

http://m.startribune.com/?id=215563611

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia:

I ran into former Gophers Tubby Smith, now at Texas Tech, on Friday. He said that he and his wife Donna were settling into a “warmer and dustier” home and reiterated that coaching at Minnesota is a much tougher job than most think.

Go Gophers!!

then it is a good thing we now have a much tougher coach

per Amelia:

Go Gophers!!

I beg your pardon - I never promised you a rose garden.

I'd like to pick his brain about what aspects are more difficult than he envisioned, or where he was overly optimistic coming into the job. Of course facilities would be at the top of the list. I wonder if he got more public/fan/booster/donor trouble than he thought possible. In other words, did the fan base have higher expectations than he thought they would or that he did himself?

Some might say that it's hard to recruit players to Minneapolis, but I personally don't think his recruiting was all that bad. His downfall was retention/defections and player development, neither of which are any more problematic here than they would be anywhere. Besides, past coaches have been able to recruit very effectively to the U.

One way or another, he seems to have expected this job to be more of a cakewalk than it was.

I think Tubby's comment probably refers to things we already know about, and that he's already complained about. (1) He was promised a practice facility (so he says) and didn't get one. (2) There's some question about who made the calls on the Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe suspensions, and whether Tubby agreed or just went along with the party line. (3) There is of course the veto of the Jimmy Williams hiring.

There might be some truth to the facilities issues and maybe in the past the U administration was a pain in the *ss to big revenue sports, but for basketball I think the job is really a very good one and the right coach will succeed here. Dutcher and Haskins both had very good success at times, but were done in by scandals. One of these days we'll get a coach that both succeeds and avoids scandal.

I'd like to pick his brain about what aspects are more difficult than he envisioned, or where he was overly optimistic coming into the job. Of course facilities would be at the top of the list. I wonder if he got more public/fan/booster/donor trouble than he thought possible. In other words, did the fan base have higher expectations than he thought they would or that he did himself?

Some might say that it's hard to recruit players to Minneapolis, but I personally don't think his recruiting was all that bad. His downfall was retention/defections and player development, neither of which are any more problematic here than they would be anywhere. Besides, past coaches have been able to recruit very effectively to the U.

One way or another, he seems to have expected this job to be more of a cakewalk than it was.

Bad Tubby....blah blah blah.

Bad Gopher didn't take just a blind shot at Tubby for no reason. Tubby himself made a vague comment about this being a difficult job, and such vagueness lends itself to questions and speculation about what specifically he was referring to. Tubby seems to want his cake and eat it to: at Kentucky, where the talent recruits itself, he was upset by the high expectations, and at Minnesota where expectations are more relaxed (though it would be nice to finish above .500 in conference once every half decade), he was upset that it was harder to recruit.

Also, I appreciate the Leslie Gore quote by Bad Gopher, I haven't listened to her since the mid 1990s.

Bad Gopher didn't take just a blind shot at Tubby for no reason. Tubby himself made a vague comment about this being a difficult job, and such vagueness lends itself to questions and speculation about what specifically he was referring to. Tubby seems to want his cake and eat it to: at Kentucky, where the talent recruits itself, he was upset by the high expectations, and at Minnesota where expectations are more relaxed (though it would be nice to finish above .500 in conference once every half decade), he was upset that it was harder to recruit.

Also, I appreciate the Leslie Gore quote by Bad Gopher, I haven't listened to her since the mid 1990s.

Damn, I missed that.

I'll catch up eventually.

heaven forbid someone critique Tubby in a thread for Tubby....

As much as Gopherhole needs to move on from the Tubby era, you need to move on from defending every comment about him.

Tubby had a terrible staff here at Minnesota. Taylor and Jirsa were always rumored to be finalists for head jobs. Sure doesn't look like anyone even wanted them as assistants. I think his choice of people around him was one of his biggest failures. You really get sick of Tubby's whining about Minnesota being so tough. Why keep up this poor me bs. Talk about Texas Tech or shutup.

Without any detail and background to the statement I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the B1G and the top to bottom competitiveness, the B1G might not have the Kansas, Dukes, Tar Heels, or Kentucky's at the top but the conference goes pretty deep in talent, it seemed like he was alway optimistic going into the season and just couldn't compete in the B1G.

Without any detail and background to the statement I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the B1G and the top to bottom competitiveness, the B1G might not have the Kansas, Dukes, Tar Heels, or Kentucky's at the top but the conference goes pretty deep in talent, it seemed like he was alway optimistic going into the season and just couldn't compete in the B1G.

This is actually one of the better posts here. At UK, his team was always the best in defense. Here in B1G, he just didn't get a chance to have a complete roster or players to play his style. That's why I think Richard will fail here too. Teams in B1G have defense as their strength. Each team also has a home court advantage with very large arenas and great fans. It isn't really easy to win here unless so many things change.

Go Gophers

Teams in B1G have defense as their strength.

Yeah... except for that one team that made it to the national championship game a few months ago. They had a mediocre defense that was middle of the road in the Big Ten.

The Big Ten's defense was good this past season (top 5 teams), but top to bottom it's nothing special and a couple of years ago (2010-2011) it was pretty bad.

Smith failed to reach reasonable expectations. The U's decision to find a new coach was necessary in the worst way.

It ain't gonna be pretty at Texas Tech. Gonna be uuugggggllllyyyy. Really bad.

heaven forbid someone critique Tubby in a thread for Tubby....

As much as Gopherhole needs to move on from the Tubby era, you need to move on from defending every comment about him.

Try every 20th comment.

Yeah... except for that one team that made it to the national championship game a few months ago. They had a mediocre defense that was middle of the road in the Big Ten.

The Big Ten's defense was good this past season (top 5 teams), but top to bottom it's nothing special and a couple of years ago (2010-2011) it was pretty bad.

Smith failed to reach reasonable expectations. The U's decision to find a new coach was necessary in the worst way.

It ain't gonna be pretty at Texas Tech. Gonna be uuugggggllllyyyy. Really bad.

I have a feeling that you might be wrong about TT. They do have some good players coming back and are picked to finish 6th in Big12. Next year is a different story. They will be bad unless Tubby does find some good players at 4 and 5 position. As far as your evaluation of B1G goes, I disagree again. Mat Painter's teams always play hard. He just couldn't find a right combination last year. Iowa was great last year so I am not sure why you only think of the top 5 teams to be good in defense. I think we all will be very shocked how good PSU will be this year. Nebraska will also be very good. That's why I have a feeling that Richard will fail this year. Unlike Tubby, Richard might do very well next year if he gets 2 out 3MN top players. We just have to wait and see.

Go Gophers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom