All Things Tubby Smith Thread UPDATED 5/27: Vince Taylor joins Tubby at TTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

He wasn't here and past results are the best predictor of future results.

I'm not saying this to rip on Tubby , but is anyone else concerned that Tubby's age is starting to catch up to him ? It was almost painful to watch him try to express himself in interviews and press conferences later in the year. It seemed like it was difficult for him to put his thoughts into words. He has always spoken in a slower pace , but it seemed more obvious this season.

I really hope better for Tubby. At least let him end up at some decent, non-Kentucky SEC school or maybe a mid-tier ACC school to close out his career.

He didn't really deserve his treatment at Kentucky, and I really don't think he deserved how he was treated at the end of this year, particularly by the fans calling for his head (there's a difference between criticizing coaching style and going ballistic, the latter of which was the path of too many Gopher fans). That said, he also wasn't moving the program forward any longer, and parting ways was probably best for both sides. I do wish him and his family the very best and will carry fond memories of his time here.

I'm not saying this to rip on Tubby , but is anyone else concerned that Tubby's age is starting to catch up to him ? It was almost painful to watch him try to express himself in interviews and press conferences later in the year. It seemed like it was difficult for him to put his thoughts into words. He has always spoken in a slower pace , but it seemed more obvious this season.

He's seemed that way to me for quite awhile. Maybe you are just noticing it.

Interesting on a number of fronts to me. Bobby Knight was actually more successful at Tech than Tubby was at Minnesota thought neither did anything extraordinary. At the time they got their respective jobs, I thought Tubby had a lot more left in the tank and was a significantly more appealing coach to play for (Reed incident and student incidents for Knight). Knight actually made a sweet 16 at Tech and was over .500 in conference play in 4 of 6 seasons.

Was Knights success enough for them to want to go after another coach who may be past his prime?

How will Tech fans feel about Saul Smith, given that Pat Knight got the job when Bobby retired and was pretty much a disaster? I have a feeling that their fan base would react very negatively to another father/son coaching duo especially if Saul is rumored to be coach in waiting.

When looking at the list of candidates for the job, Tubby clearly stands out. I sincerely hope he gets the job if he wants it. My hunch is he'd prefer someplace other than Lubbock.

@AaronDickens

Sources tell RRS that Tubby Smith and his wife are currently in Lubbock and that he is the "front-runner" for #TexasTech's MBB position.

@AaronDickens

Sources tell RRS that Tubby Smith and his wife are currently in Lubbock and that he is the "front-runner" for #TexasTech's MBB position.

Schedule a game with Texas Tech next season and play some zone D?

I really hope better for Tubby. At least let him end up at some decent, non-Kentucky SEC school or maybe a mid-tier ACC school to close out his career.

He didn't really deserve his treatment at Kentucky, and I really don't think he deserved how he was treated at the end of this year, particularly by the fans calling for his head (there's a difference between criticizing coaching style and going ballistic, the latter of which was the path of too many Gopher fans). That said, he also wasn't moving the program forward any longer, and parting ways was probably best for both sides. I do wish him and his family the very best and will carry fond memories of his time here.

Poor Tubby. And we deserved all of his BS interviews for other jobs in each of the first four years after he came on board. Music stopped for the game that he and his agent were playing

Texas Tech is no prize. But neither were Auburn, LSU, SMU or some of other jobs Tubby was supposedly ready to jump to. In any case, I wish him well. The Big 12 isn't that tough outside of Kansas.

I didn't think Knight had many options left when he went to Texas Tech.

Ditto when Gillespie ended up there - no real options.

If Tubby goes there, I'd have to think he also has few viable options. His pride has already taken a bruising - would be really want to retire from TT? Would be really want to follow Gillespie?

@GoodmanCBS: Tubby Smith met with Texas Tech today in Lubbock and emerged as frontrunner for the job, sources told CBSSports.

Go Gophers!!

Lots of interesting comments on the sportsline article about this: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...83/tubby-smith-in-discussions-with-texas-tech

"Lifelong Red Raider and this hire is completely depressing."

"A bad coach going to a bad basketball school-perfection."

"Tubby would be perfect for Texas Tech. If he makes the NCAAS, they'd be happy in Lubbock."

You've got Louisville fans, Spartan fans and Tech fans all saying that Tubby's not exactly a great coach right now. I thought Gopher fans were the only ones who felt that way and the U should consider itself lucky to even have him.

I work with a Tech alum who is a Red Raider fanatic. Upon hearing the news of Tubby's possible hire I went out and bought him a cot and pillow so he could be comfortable during Red Raider snooze fests to come. Could there be a greater contrast between the uptempo Football offense of Kingsbury and Tubby's Sominex Special offense ?

I want to preface this by saying this is just a rumor I heard...not from a source I've known to be reliable, but one that knows the Texas Tech program. I'm just sharing because I know many of you like to hear things, and you can sift through and decide for yourself if you think it's correct...

I heard that Tubby's deal is done and will be announced Monday. I have not had any terms.

If so - good for him, I'm happy for him and always wish the best for him.

I want to preface this by saying this is just a rumor I heard...not from a source I've known to be reliable, but one that knows the Texas Tech program. I'm just sharing because I know many of you like to hear things, and you can sift through and decide for yourself if you think it's correct...

I heard that Tubby's deal is done and will be announced Monday. I have not had any terms.

If so - good for him, I'm happy for him and always wish the best for him.

That would be good news. Thanks Nadine.

He's a quality guy and will do some good things for them. I hope he does well.

Good for Tubby. Lots of good players in Texas. Hope for the best for him. Definitely room for improvement at Tech.

Tubby from an Atlanta Perspective

The following were comments in the Atlanta Journal Constitution this morning in the ink and paper version. I live in Atlanta and there is hardly ever any commentary on the Gophers. In light of the fact that the Final Four will be here I thought you might find this interesting:

The section is called Sports Vent. There were 30 or so comments in this section today with the following about the UofM.

“Not crying for Tubby Smith. He dumped UGA and now he got a taste of the same. How does it feel, Tubby?”

“Tubby didn't “dump” UGA. He received a promotion. No UGA fan blamed him or had any resentment toward him for doing so. I would welcome him back any day.”

“Minnesota doesn't deserve a class act like Tubby Smith. He will land on his feet somewhere else, and I hope his new team kicks Minnesota's butt”

“When you see people like Tubby Smith getting fired after the job he did of saving that program, it is clear that this country is a mess. Our priorities, even in sports, are way out of line.”

“Tubby Smith could coach my team any day. He does it the right way. Problem is that some don't want it the right way, they want it at win at any cost. He is a class act!”

I read somewhere else that the national opinion is 80% feel that it was not a good move on Minnesota's part. I think it had to be done. Not because Tubby couldn't get the job done here eventually, but because the negative Twin City media including social media, forums, etc. put the whole program in a bad position. That impacted the players, recruits and you could see it wear on Tubby this year. Mr. Teague has been brought in here to produce winning programs. With his background that is especially true for basketball. He had to take action.

Mr. Teague, I hope that you make a “Tubby like” hire soon. The media is watching and growing impatient. I for one believe you will. I can't wait for next year.

Tubby was unquestionably a butt kicker and name taker when he was in Athens. Not so here, and his results and on-court product bear that out. There are no arguments about him being a class act and running a clean operation.

It's comforting to know that the commenters to on-line press down there are no better than they are up here.

I maintain that 80% of the national opinion has probably watched a per-season average of 1.5 Gopher games over the past three seasons. None after January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom