All Things Tubby Smith Thread UPDATED 5/27: Vince Taylor joins Tubby at TTech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maintain that 80% of the national opinion has probably watched a per-season average of 1.5 Gopher games over the past three seasons. None after January.

Actually, probably the only games any of these yay-hoos have seen the Gophers play in the last 6 years were the thrashing of UCLA and maybe the upset of #1 Indiana. Outside of that, no attention whatsoever was paid to our squad by them. These two high profile games may be obscuring the annual, severe, puss-filled acne that was Tubby Time February.

"saving that program"??

Georgia fans should stick to analyzing football since they obviously know nothing about basketball.

"saving that program"??

Georgia fans should stick to analyzing football since they obviously know nothing about basketball.

Saving is a bit far, but it's certainly better than 6 years ago. Doesn't mean the wrong decision was made.

The game passed Tubby by. I think his health issue ( prostate cancer) had more to with it than most people think. He aged dramatically after that bout

The media and message boards did mess with the players and coaches that's why most stopped going on twitter during the losing streak. Some think that things like Gopherhole have no effect on coaches or players but in reality it does.

I haven't frequented the board this year - I just went to all the games.
Watching Tubby coach, listening to his comments, it is clear he has slipped significantly.
The situation reminds me of Gene Keady who took Purdue to the bottom of the BT his last years - even with the heir apparent on his staff. Tubby had no intention of cooperating with assistants or retiring so we were left with no choice. Really. While many coaches will gasp that MN was awful to 'do this to Tubby', don't think they weren't all ready to point to his poor record of developing players against the program in recruiting. Players spend more time looking at the bench than at the floor.
No, Tubby could have retired and left a the top of his game but he chose not to.

I haven't frequented the board this year - I just went to all the games.
Watching Tubby coach, listening to his comments, it is clear he has slipped significantly.
The situation reminds me of Gene Keady who took Purdue to the bottom of the BT his last years - even with the heir apparent on his staff. Tubby had no intention of cooperating with assistants or retiring so we were left with no choice. Really. While many coaches will gasp that MN was awful to 'do this to Tubby', don't think they weren't all ready to point to his poor record of developing players against the program in recruiting. Players spend more time looking at the bench than at the floor.
No, Tubby could have retired and left a the top of his game but he chose not to.

Well put.

The media and message boards did mess with the players and coaches that's why most stopped going on twitter during the losing streak. Some think that things like Gopherhole have no effect on coaches or players but in reality it does.

Every team faces reactionary media and fanbases. They need to know how to deal with it if they are going to succeed in this business.

Considering Tubby's B1G record is nearly identical to Monsons, with FEWER winning seasons within the conference, were the national writers this hard on MN when Monson was let go??

Considering Tubby's B1G record is nearly identical to Monsons, with FEWER winning seasons within the conference, were the national writers this hard on MN when Monson was let go??

No. They all saw the Clemson game on National TV in ACC Challenge and knew what would and needed to happen. The mid season axe may have surprised them, though.

Historical comparison is always slippery, but there can be no argument that the conference is far stronger now than it was in Monson's time, so even a remote suggestion that we were "better" when Dan was in charge is an overstatement. I provide as my evidence the aformentioned Clemson game, the absolute lowest on court Gopher experience in my life.

It's official, AP Jon just tweeted:

Jon Krawczynski @APkrawczynski
Tubby Smith has agreed to terms to become the head coach at Texas Tech, sources tell AP.

All Things Tubby Smith Thread

RandBall ‏@RandBall 13s
RT @APkrawczynski: Tubby Smith has agreed to terms to become the head coach at Texas Tech, sources tell AP.

Feel bad for TT fans.

Tough situation for Tubby. I don't feel bad for Tech fans as he's as good as a program of their stature could expect. He'll elevate their program, I imagine.

Lots of former Big Ten coaches in the Big XII now... Self, Weber, and Tubby.

Tough situation for Tubby. I don't feel bad for Tech fans as he's as good as a program of their stature could expect. He'll elevate their program, I imagine.

Good for Tubby. I am happy to see him get another shot at going out in a better way. He's a decent guy and maybe this fires him up to go all out again.

Happy for Tubby. I expect he'll make Texas Tech competitive quickly, much like he did here, and much like Bob Knight did when he arrived in Lubbock. Unlike Knight, however, Tubby won't quit in the middle of a season like Knight the hypocrite did.

just MN and USC left for a coach looking to move up or move on

so, no huge sense of urgency to get a deal done?

Reception for this hire on the Texas Tech Scout.com board seems to be decidedly mixed.

Best of luck to Tubby. I hope it goes well for him.

Wish him the best of the luck. It's definitely warmer down there.

I guess it's not a done deal yet, according to Katz:

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 7s
AP reporting Tubby Smith to Texas Tech. Tech puts out statement that deal is not in place. But source said two sides are in talks.

Wonder if Brandon Smith is working the phones recruiting for Tubby? Lol

Someone needs to get RedRaidersPlaya over there too for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom