All Things Henry Ellenson Thread

I hate to say it but does anybody else think that the Ellenson family was a bit put off by the Tubby Smith firing. Things could change, like Wally really improving or being successful, but maybe they weren't thrilled with Smith being fired.

I hate to say it but does anybody else think that the Ellenson family was a bit put off by the Tubby Smith firing. Things could change, like Wally really improving or being successful, but maybe they weren't thrilled with Smith being fired.

No.

If you read the article futuregopher posted and the comments from Henry in it, I don't think that's the case.

Interesting and noteworthy comment from Henry, about wanting to play F in college and not C. I suppose if he wants to play in the NBA someday, he realizes there aren't any 6'9" centers.

If we put Ellenson on the front line with another 6'9" guy like Illikainen (or a bulked up Joey King or Buggs), we may not need a center.

Interesting and noteworthy comment from Henry, about wanting to play F in college and not C. I suppose if he wants to play in the NBA someday, he realizes there aren't any 6'9" centers.

If we put Ellenson on the front line with another 6'9" guy like Illikainen (or a bulked up Joey King or Buggs), we may not need a center.

Henry is just barely under 6'10" in bare feet. In basketball terms, he's about 6'11".

I really like that Pitino hasn't even mentioned anything about playing with his brother. That is the lazy strategy to recruit Henry. Henry probably cares a whole lot more about developing his game and becoming the best player possible. Plus he realizes he would be on the Wally's team, so there is no need to bring it up.

I really like that Pitino hasn't even mentioned anything about playing with his brother. That is the lazy strategy to recruit Henry. Henry probably cares a whole lot more about developing his game and becoming the best player possible. Plus he realizes he would be on the Wally's team, so there is no need to bring it up.

Whatever you tried to say here has me in total confusion, therefore I agree with you.

Whatever you tried to say here has me in total confusion, therefore I agree with you.

If you actually read the article you'd know that Henry said Pitino hasn't tried to use Wally to sell him on Minnesota, something Tubby constantly did (according to the article).

If you actually read the article you'd know that Henry said Pitino hasn't tried to use Wally to sell him on Minnesota, something Tubby constantly did (according to the article).

Bingo. A prospect earns his own scholarship offer.

I read the article. It is awesome that Pitino is recruiting him for him and not using his brother as leverage. Obviously Henry would like to play with his brother, who wouldn't? But he is also a better recruit than his brother was so he has to go somewhere where he can improve and develop. The key is to sell him on the gophers being able to develop him, we may not have to sell him on it as hard as some of the other schools, but we still have to. Having his brother here just gives a leg up, we will have a chance until the end.

@hollyjelle: Coach Pitino made sure Henry knew Minnesota offered and Coach Crean offered Henry today successful weekend #SummerClassic Bloomington,MN

Go Gophers!!

She also just tweeted this: Texas Tech, Nebraska, and Arizona State offered Henry earlier in the weekend also#SummerClassi

She also just tweeted this: Texas Tech, Nebraska, and Arizona State offered Henry earlier in the weekend also#SummerClassi

Now this is one guy that Tubby has a shot at. Went after him hard when he was here, probably has a good relationship with Vince Taylor and Tubby already. Jarvis Johnson and JP Macura maybe not. Especially Jarvis Johnson, he has no shot.

One thing I will say about Tubby is that he recruited the instate talent very well during his time. I am sure he has plenty of connections up here.

Indiana has been hitting the Minnesota talent really hard today!!

Doubt if Tubby spent a year telling Henry he could play with is brother sound like Fuller nonsense. Completely self evident to the point it would soon become annoyingly redundant . Also not very material to the recruiting process until Henry is ready to pull the trigger at which point Wally still being a happy camper on the team would be a recruitment positive. Not to mention excessive usage of the playing with brother angle would be tough to discount now that Tx Tech has offered Henry.

Have you not read any quotes from Wally?

I do remember those quotes, but to be honest, what matters it that Wally is extremely happy now it seems.

I think they were a little put off by how it all went down if I'm not mistaken. But at this point, I'm pretty sure that's all in the past now.

I do remember those quotes, but to be honest, what matters it that Wally is extremely happy now it seems.

I hope Wally earns enough playing time this season to keep him happy, and help the team. I'm a little concerned that he's a "tweener" like Coleman was. Still has plenty of time to improve his guard skills though. Sounds like he's working hard on his shot this summer.

I hope Wally earns enough playing time this season to keep him happy, and help the team. I'm a little concerned that he's a "tweener" like Coleman was. Still has plenty of time to improve his guard skills though. Sounds like he's working hard on his shot this summer.

Much more of a guard than Coleman ever was, a SG that can play the 3 because of his athleticism, he just didn't play good enough defense last year, improves on that and he can be a contributor.

Much more of a guard than Coleman ever was, a SG that can play the 3 because of his athleticism, he just didn't play good enough defense last year, improves on that and he can be a contributor.

Agreed. If he can develop a consistent outside shot, he would remind me of Richie Frahm of Gonzaga fame - but even more athletic.

I think they were a little put off by how it all went down if I'm not mistaken. But at this point, I'm pretty sure that's all in the past now.

i think that the mom was mad that Norwood somehow got the news out before tubby even heard of it which she thought was unprofessional, also i think wally will be like austin hollins with less length on defense, and is it just me or do you guys feel like Henry wouldn't be a great fit for Pitino's system? he seems bigger, thicker, chubbier then most guys and would be a better fit in a slower tempo team, i think he is a good enough of a player where he would be able to contribute regardless of him fitting in or not though

i think that the mom was mad that Norwood somehow got the news out before tubby even heard of it which she thought was unprofessional, also i think wally will be like austin hollins with less length on defense, and is it just me or do you guys feel like Henry wouldn't be a great fit for Pitino's system? he seems bigger, thicker, chubbier then most guys and would be a better fit in a slower tempo team, i think he is a good enough of a player where he would be able to contribute regardless of him fitting in or not though

Definitely not a Pitino type of player. And it shows, because they've only talked twice since Pitino's gotten here. Other recruits have kept in touch with Minnesota almost every day. Henry's stock has slowly been slipping too, but I agree, he's a nice player.

Henry has lost a lot of weight and is a big man that can run the break well. I see no reason why he wouldn't be a great fit in Pitino's system.

I also think he'd be a great fit in MSU's system though. Izzo loves big men that can handle the ball like a guard and that is preciously what Henry is.

Henry has lost a lot of weight and is a big man that can run the break well. I see no reason why he wouldn't be a great fit in Pitino's system.

I also think he'd be a great fit in MSU's system though. Izzo loves big men that can handle the ball like a guard and that is preciously what Henry is.

I am sure I am tad biased, but I see Henry as a great fit in Madison. His ability to make shots from the perimeter at his size is something that has been very successful during Bo's time in Madison. That's certainly not to say he is just a shooter, but it's something he's very good at now and will presumably be down the road as well. He really has slimmed down, and I will be anxious to see what he does to continue to expand his game.

I am sure I am tad biased, but I see Henry as a great fit in Madison. His ability to make shots from the perimeter at his size is something that has been very successful during Bo's time in Madison. That's certainly not to say he is just a shooter, but it's something he's very good at now and will presumably be down the road as well. He really has slimmed down, and I will be anxious to see what he does to continue to expand his game.

He said he wants to play in a fast tempo system though. ;)

Top Bottom