All Things Henry Ellenson Thread

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers Recruit Henry Ellenson to Receive Scholarship Offer from Georgetown
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/145631?referrer_id=388419

Henry Ellenson, a 6-foot-8 freshman from Rice Lake (Wis.) High, is one of the top players in the Midwest in the Class of 2015. He is one of three Ellenson brothers who shined for the Warriors, leading them to a 23-2 mark, losing to eventual Division II champion Onalaska 57-47 in the playoffs.

Ellenson, who averaged 12.1 points per game this season, is expected to receive a scholarship offer from Georgetown Monday. Hoya head coach John Thompson III watched Ellenson play this past weekend.

Gopher Hole caught up with Ellenson to learn the latest on his recruitment, his AAU plans and the possibility of playing with his brother again in college.

Gopher Hole: You had a great week, wining the Best Buy Spring Classic 15-and-under title, one week after playing up and finishing second the Minnesota Pump N Run 16’s in the Comets Shootout. How pleased are you with how well your team is playing so far?

Henry Ellenson: I am happy with our performance lately. I think that we are doing really good and I am excited for the rest of the year, obviously next week in Denver. I think that we have a good chance to win it.

Gopher Hole: Are you surprised at how well you are playing because it is just you and Marshawn Wilson back from last year along with eight new players? Are you surprised by how you are having such good team chemistry so quickly?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I am kind of surprised at how things are going along so nicely with everyone doing a good job.

Gopher Hole: Does this give you even more confidence going into a big tournament this upcoming weekend in Denver?

Henry Ellenson: Yes, it does.

Gopher Hole: How pleased where you with this past season, losing just two games and made a strong run in the playoffs?

Henry Ellenson: I was pretty happy with this year and that we did so good. There were some games that I wished that we had done better, like the ones we lost, but I thought that we did good.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience playing with both your brothers (Wally, a senior and Ellwood, a junior)?

Henry Ellenson: It was fun because you would be on the court and see Wally doing good and you are cheering him on when you are teammates. It was a fun experience.

Gopher Hole: Are you glad that you got to do that since next year he is going to be going to college?

Henry Ellenson: I am glad that I got to play with him, so I was happy. It was kind of a big thing that we always wanted to do when we were growing up to play on varsity together.

Gopher Hole: You lose Wally, Alex Cuskey, a 6-foot-4 forward and point guard Joe Shervey to graduation. What are the expectations for next year?

Henry Ellenson: Next year, I still think that we will be the top team in our conference and I think that we will still have a good chance to go to me and Ellwood returning. I think that we will be pretty strong next year.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to improve yourself as a player?

Henry Ellenson: Really be better off the bounce. Being a quicker, more athletic player is something that I think that I need to improve on.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still very early being only a freshman, but what schools are you hearing from right now?

Henry Ellenson: I’ve heard from Indiana, Purdue,, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska. Kansas gave me a letter and also Marquette.

Gopher Hole: Would you ever want to play with Wally in college? Have you ever talked about it?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. Maybe that would be a possibility.

Gopher Hole: What are your expectations for Minnesota Pump N Run this spring and summer?

Henry Ellenson: This year, I think that we should be winning most of our tournaments, at least in my expectation. Winning the adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas. That is the main thing that I am looking forward to.

are you a gopher recruit without getting an offer? Hopefully Tubby does offer Henry. I guess he is not transfering to De

I hope they upgrade him from a recruit as in we sent him a letter and observed him, to recruit as in we offered him a scholly, to recruit as in he is a a member of our 2015 recruiting class.

Tubby better offer soon. He is big, athletic, can run the floor, has good hands and can shoot from the outside. He will get a lot of offers.

Whether he signs or not will depend a lot on what kind of experience his brother Wally has here IMO. My impression is that this family has moved around a bit to get the basketball experience they want.

Well mom works in Rice Lake and dad works in Eau Claire. Moved from Rice Lake to Eau Claire and then back. Lot more tp that story than looking for the basketball experience they want.

Iowa ST has now also offered Henry, gophs probably will probably get on the bandwagon and also offer

I am shocked anyone is upset tubby hasn't "offered" yet.

I think it is safe to assume when Tubby was recruiting Wally he talked to Henry once or twice and to his parents once or twice and Id assume the possibility of them playing together came up in a conversation too.

I think it is wrong to think Tubby is "behind" in recruiting Henry just because he hasn't offered him officially yet.

The middle kid Elwood is a nice player and will play some college ball after high school, but I don't see him on a d-1 roster.

So is the other brother not good, or just an average player?

Ellwood? I have heard that he's a low-major or D2 player, but I can't say I've ever seen him play. Personally, I just want him to play for the Gophers so we can have Elliot Elliason and Ellwood Ellenson on the floor at the same time.

Ellwood is NOT a D1 player. After seeing him for a couple years, I question if he is a scholarship player.

The strange thing is Elwood is playing up a year for age 17 pumpnrun after averaging only 8ppg, Henry already a better player 12ppg is play 2 years behind Elwood on age 15 pumpmrun

The strange thing is Elwood is playing up a year for age 17 pumpnrun after averaging only 8ppg, Henry already a better player 12ppg is play 2 years behind Elwood on age 15 pumpmrun

Guessing Henry chose to play at that age. Ellwood might blowup this summer you never know.

Is Elwood a walk-on candidate?

As others have pointed out...NO. He just doesn't not have the game of either of his brothers. He is a D2 prospect at best at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play D3.

Tweet from Monter:

"Minnesota has offered FR Henry Ellenson, according to Minnesota Pump N Run director Tom Kroschell. His brother Wally signed w/ the Gophers."

Go Gophers!!

Getting Henry would be huge. The guy can play. I question Wally's shooting ability. He may be Rodney reincarnated. I hope I'm wrong as we need shooters. I've only seen him play one time. Again, Henry will be a player.

I think that the Gophers chances with Henry will be dictated by Wally's experience at the U. If Wally is successful, then the Gophers should have a great shot at Henry. If Wally doesn't play a significant role for the Gophers, then they have little shot with Henry. Unlike the Devoe/Cory situation, I don't believe there will be the same isssue of one brother potentially taking playing time away from the other.

Getting Henry would be huge. The guy can play. I question Wally's shooting ability. He may be Rodney reincarnated. I hope I'm wrong as we need shooters. I've only seen him play one time. Again, Henry will be a player.

Wally's shooting and ball handling has improved 10 fold since his sophomore year in HS. He is a dedicated worker and will continue to get better. IMO, his biggest challenge will be on the defensive end. He needs to get quicker laterally, as do most who come into a D1 program.

Wally probably won't get a lot of playing time next year but I think he is going to surprise many people before his time is up here in MN. Henry would be a huge get if he commits down the road.

Writeup on some Gopher recruits:
http://hardwoodelite.com/article.php?a=65

Ryan James also had some positive things to say about Marshawn Wilson:
"Marshawn Wilson, man is this kid incredibly good. Lift on his jumper is crazy, makes me think Helicopter Levitt, with a real touch."

Hopefully Gopher coaches are at the very least in contact with Wilson. Some talented underclassmen in the area.

Top Bottom