All Things 2012-2013 Gopher Women's Basketball Season Thread

Banham turnover at end kills the ladies. She still turns the ball over, but much better shot selection
than in the past 3-4 games.

Banham turnover at end kills the ladies. She still turns the ball over, but much better shot selection
than in the past 3-4 games.

bad call on the over and back.

Nice comeback but fell short.

Weird Ill record....4-0 on the road.....0-3 at home.......I think I caught that right.

Notice how every time Banham scores(which is often), she immediately turns and plays defense. No groans, stupid faces or muscle posses. Some of the men could learn a lot.

Banham has to bring her "A" game every night. She just doesn't have a B1G supporting cast. Kyla Hirt has not come back from the two knee injuries, so she is really a defensive liability. She didn't
Get much PT last night because of the Iini quickness.

we are undefeated in moral victory games. last night was a good moral victory.

I watched the second half and came to the conclusion the women run the same inbounds play as the men.....(NOTHING!) Nobody sets a pick, etc. We learned simple inbound plays in youth basketball (go across pick for the other guy and roll to the ball while the other guy uses your pick to get open.......it's not that HARD!)

I watched the second half and came to the conclusion the women run the same inbounds play as the men.....(NOTHING!) Nobody sets a pick, etc. We learned simple inbound plays in youth basketball (go across pick for the other guy and roll to the ball while the other guy uses your pick to get open.......it's not that HARD!)

Guess what, everyone cheats on that play, or zones the out of bounds.

Sounds like its between Banham, and Maggie Lucas for B1G POY, with Tayler Hill closely following.

Gophers had 4 turnovers to 21 assists as they "upset" Michigan 82-67. The Wolverines dropped to 16-5 (5-3).

Banham went off again -- 32 points on 11-15 FG. She had 17 in first half, 15 in 2nd.

To the previous post mentioning Lucas as POY candidate -- #7 PSU somehow lost in Madison tonight 63-61. Lucas had 18 pts. 2 weeks ago PSU beat Wisconsin by 44 in Happy Valley.

Why are there never any good debates about the Womens Gopher Basketball Team?

Okay I'll start one. Is/will Banham be better than Lindsey?

They do have some similarities. Banham may end up scoring more points than Whalen but I don't think has the same intensity. Perhaps, Whalen benefited from a better supporting cast and 10,000 fans. Banham needs to elevate the play of those around her and instead has been a bit of a ball hog. Over the last few weeks, her shooting percentage has been around 35% yet she keeps chucking up shot after shot. Whalen had some of those games but far fewer it seems. We may have revisit this discussion in another year when the team has some bigs and better and bigger guards.

I agree Banham will score more, but because she has to. Banham has Riche as the only somewhat consistent scorer on her team. I agree her shooting percentage is not good recently (besides ILL and MICH games) and she takes a lot of shots she shouldn't but who else will take them (and make them)? Whalen had McCarville and often Schonrock, Von Wald, and Andersson. It doesn't help Banham that Buford graduated and Loberg has taken a step back from the numbers she produced last year. Whalen has a Final Four run, a WNBA Championship and a gold medal in the Olympics, I don't think Banham will have any of those.

Carlie Wagner (2014) from NRHEG has committed to the Gophers. This will probably help Borton keep her job...

She dropped 43 in a game in the state tournament last year vs. Rebekah Dahlman and Braham.

This could also explain a bit why Kenisha Bell decommited? Wagner is #1 in MN for 2014 and Bell #2 according to gprep.net

Carlie Wagner committing is huge for this program. For those of us who have seen her play, it will be the ultimate treat to watch her play for the Gophers. Easily the best girl basketball player in this state.

This could also explain a bit why Kenisha Bell decommited?

I have heard that before but I don't know. Wagner had an offer probably before Bell did. If Bell was influenced by a glut of Gopher guards, Joanna Hedstrom committing might have been more of an influence.

In 2014-15 the guards will be Banham (Sr.), Mullaney and Bailey (Jrs.), Hedstrom (Soph.) and Wagner and Grace Coughlin (Fr.). It's true that 7 guards is a bit much but which one or ones will be odd-man out? Not Bell, not Banham, not Mullaney, not Wagner.

The question some day may be whether Wagner is better than Whalen and Banham. But for now, no, Banham is not better than Whalen. I agree with those who say that Whalen elevated her teammates. Banham has not done that so far.

Whalen had and still has unbelievable court smarts. Banham has a long way to go before she is even mentioned in the same breath as Whalen. We've horrible low post defense. The Swedish must not be good enough to help because Borton could've had her for I believe one non conference game and the Big Ten Season. Borton has not recruited and developed good low post players. Milan
came in with great promise and regressed during her 4 years. Borton brought in the Aussie Zoe Harper and she ended up playing a minor reserve role. Who was the big gal from Forest Lake? Did she ever see the floor? Katie Loberg I thought would be a " player" but she seemed not to get any stronger during her 4 years. She did have the knee problem that set her back for this year. She averages what, about 8 minutes a game? Right now Riche is there only
option in the post. Kelloge is still learning the game and can a "train wreck " at certain times. A nice win for the ladies last night, but you can't expect Banham to put 30 some points on the board every night. She needs some help, and just recruiting wings and guards isn't going to help in the grand scheme of things.

Whalen had and still has unbelievable court smarts. Banham has a long way to go before she is even mentioned in the same breath as Whalen. We've horrible low post defense. The Swedish must not be good enough to help because Borton could've had her for I believe one non conference game and the Big Ten Season. Borton has not recruited and developed good low post players. Milan
came in with great promise and regressed during her 4 years. Borton brought in the Aussie Zoe Harper and she ended up playing a minor reserve role. Who was the big gal from Forest Lake? Did she ever see the floor? Katie Loberg I thought would be a " player" but she seemed not to get any stronger during her 4 years. She did have the knee problem that set her back for this year. She averages what, about 8 minutes a game? Right now Riche is there only
option in the post. Kelloge is still learning the game and can a "train wreck " at certain times. A nice win for the ladies last night, but you can't expect Banham to put 30 some points on the board every night. She needs some help, and just recruiting wings and guards isn't going to help in the grand scheme of things.

Reminds me of my time at Moorhead St in the early 70's(not as a player). We had a soph guard that was our really only legit scoring option. Was considered a ball hog for the same reason. The following year 3 players, all very good, joined the team and that player led the conference in assists.

Amanda Z. opted to sit out this year to have 4 full years. In the long run, this is a good decision as this affords her a year of conditioning and learning the playbook. The Gophers have commitments from these coveted bigs for 2014:

Terra Stapleton- 6'4" Fairland HS, OH
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1819666748/Stapleton-to-play-at-Minnesota

Josie Buckingham- 6'5" New Richmond HS, OH
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/recruit...sie-buckingham-verbally-commits-to-minnesota/

Incidentally, Bell's offer was before Wagner. Bell blew up summer 2011 while Wagner began catching notice over the course of the following high school season.

A lot of you are forgetting Dallas Skyline 5'10 guard Stabresa McDaniel who has already signed for next year. She picked the Gophers over Texas, Texas Tech and North Texas.

Coach said she is one of the strongest players they have ever recruited. She is a athlete and will add a different element to the team than we have had.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111412aab.html

Wagner's commitment is great news on the recruiting front.

Likely NIT Bound

Are we going to be tournament-bound this year?

The Gophers are likely heading to the NIT unless they get hot and start playing some defense. They faltered at home versus similar programs such as NE and IL. That does not bode well. They seem to be able to score easily enough but need to do a better job defending the 3.

It's going to be hard, but do-able. Let's take a look at the remaining stretch.

@Nebraska will be a loss on Sunday. Everything else is fair competetition in my book.

vs Iowa (Could be a hard game to win, but it's not impossible)
@Illinois (haven't won at home yet, and we should beat them this time around)
vs Northwestern (has to be a win, should be a win)
@Ohio State (a game you gotta win, it should be tough but this should be favorable for MN)
vs Purdue (we always hang with them)
vs Penn State (We can definitely knock them off and have proven that along w/ Wisky)
@Indiana (gotta win, and should win)

I think Minnesota beats Northwestern, Indiana, and Ohio State.

Than my feeling is a win against either Purdue/Penn State because we can hang with both of them and we are always good for an upset or 2 every big ten season.

We will also take Illinois.

I think Minnesota loses at Nebraska for sure and it's just a heavy gut feeling that Iowa will handle us like they always seem to do. Then we will lose one of the Penn St/Purdue games.

*We'll finish 5-3 maybe 4-4 in conference as these ladies look to be starting to gel and seem incredibly driven

That leaves us at 19-11 come B1G tournament time.

1-2 wins in the B1G tournament will be huge in determining if the team makes it or not.

It sucks that we lost out on Nia Coffey, because she could be the difference between the 2014 team being top material or not.

What the roster looks without her.

PG- Banham
SG- Wagner
SF- ??
PF- Hirt
C- Zahui B.

With her

PG- Banham
SG- Wagner
SF- Coffey
PF- Hirt
C- Zahui B.

This is a huge recruiting loss for the gophers at the most needy postion in 2014.

Could Minnesota still land Kenisha Bell btw? It says on her ESPN Profile that Minnesota is the only school she's considering right now.

She is averaging only 13 ppg for her team in her Junior year, she must not be a scorer huh... Her stock has consistently dropped too. From #16 to #18 to #19 and now to #37. That's not a good sign.

Incidentally, Bell's offer was before Wagner. Bell blew up summer 2011 while Wagner began catching notice over the course of the following high school season.

In any event, Wagner has had an offer since prior to her sophomore season. She is said to have been ready to verbal sometime ago, but her AAU club said please no, so that coaches would continue to come to their games, thereby getting more exposure for her summer teammates.

PS. Wagner is a junior. She is not gonna be on the Gopher roster 2013-2014 with or without Nia Coffey.

Personally I think the big miss among the 2013s is Tyseanna Johnson. We shall see. But the 2013s have been regarded as the best MN class ever and Pam missed on the big 3 (Johnson, Dahlman, Coffey) plus January and Jade Martin.

In any event:

2013-2014

C- Zahui (FR)
F- Riche (SR), Hirt (SO)
G- Banham (JR), Mullaney (SO)

2014-2015

C- Zahui (SO)
F- Hirt (JR), maybe McDaniel or Pendleton
G- Banham (SR), Mullaney (JR), Wagner (FR)

I hope folks are aware that Joanna Hedstrom from Minnetonka was a 4 star recruit. I could certainly see her competing for some PT with Mullaney next year as a bigger guard.

It's going to be hard, but do-able. Let's take a look at the remaining stretch.

@Nebraska will be a loss on Sunday. Everything else is fair competetition in my book.

vs Iowa (Could be a hard game to win, but it's not impossible)
@Illinois (haven't won at home yet, and we should beat them this time around)
vs Northwestern (has to be a win, should be a win)
@Ohio State (a game you gotta win, it should be tough but this should be favorable for MN)
vs Purdue (we always hang with them)
vs Penn State (We can definitely knock them off and have proven that along w/ Wisky)
@Indiana (gotta win, and should win)

Illinois upset Iowa at home on Thursday for their first conference home win. There is a 5-team log-jam at 5-3: MSU, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan.

I agree Nebraska is a loss, but after that the Gophers have a good chance to win their remaining games if their defense can step up. Purdue and Penn State tend to play to their competition, both of these are winnable upsets at home.

Ladies lose to Nebraska 80-54. The beat goes on. Nebraska thumped them by 20 at Williams, so expected.

Hey Strib, get your head out of your butt

"Huskers stop Banham, AVENGE LOSS to Gophers "
The Gophers "lost" by said score at Williams on January
20th. You not only botched the headline, but also in the game recap.
Here's a thought, take the rose colored glass off about every fricking knit
piece of irrelevant crap concerning the Super Bowl, the Little Darlings, and the NFL in general. Your proof reader should be put on a slow skiff to the Azores. Your handling of University of Minnesota sports is pathetic.

Top Bottom