All Things 2012-2013 Gopher Women's Basketball Season Thread

Huh? Here is the STrib headline both online and in the print edition:

Nebraska shuts down Banham, rips Gophers

The Nebraska women's basketball team, playing before a season-high crowd of 6,935 on Super Bowl Sunday, whipped the Gophers 80-56.

It completed a season sweep for the Huskers, who also defeated the Gophers 84-63 in Minneapolis on Jan. 20.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/189597631.html

Go Gophers!!

Gophers are up 38-27 at halftime. Banham leading with 18 points.

Banham just looks awesome out there!

The bigs haven't looked good tonight, but Riche's been a good rebounder at least and had a couple nice up and unders.

Kayla Hirt is money from that baseline mid range btw.

Leah Cottons just gotta stop playing the way she does if she wants to help the team. Way too out of control when driving, passing, and shooting. Not good stuff out of her this season.

I like the way Hirt's been this game, but that last shot was an example of how she still has to improve upon her shot selection. When to shoot, when to pass. Little freshman things , so it doesn't worry me much.

As bad as the men's team gets screwed by refs, there was all-timer in this game. They call a hold on the Gophers inside. The player fouled proceeds to throw it out to a shooter. The shooter takes a 3. They count the basket. The shot occurred at least 3-4 seconds after the foul was called. Iowa gets a 5 point play. Wow.

Banham with a 3 almost from the M. Maybe put in her in Mav's uniform on Sunday and pray Illinois doesn't notice....

Riche is atleast grabbing boards. Cotton is doing nothing.

Banham with a 3 from the edge of the M .. 31 points!

Mullaney getting some big baskets down the stretch!

She really looks good for a freshman guard.

I can't even start to imagine Banham, Mullaney, and Wagner as a part of a 3 guard lineup in 2014!

But this Banham, Mullaney backcourt will be a staple of this team for years to come, and could lead this team to the tournament.

They combined for 45 points tonight!

Unfortunately Banham and Wagner will only have 1 year together. Rather than a Banham-Wagner combo, I think you'll see a transition from the Banham era to the Wagner era. Mullaney will have 3 years with Banham and 2 with Wagner, she and Wagner as a senior-sophomore combo could be special, but of course Banham and Mullaney as a senior-junior combo could be even more special. Time will tell. Time will also tell where and how Mikayla Bailey, Joanna Hedstrom and Grace Coughlin are supposed to get any minutes.

Banham with a 3 almost from the M. Maybe put in her in Mav's uniform on Sunday and pray Illinois doesn't notice....

The men's team certainly needs someone with her confidence right now. She is very special. I have not read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Have you ever seen a worse call by a ref then the one that the ref made last night. A Gopher fouls the person with the ball. After the foul the ball is passed out to the perimeter where the Iowa player catches it and hits the 3. The play should have been over as soon as the foul was made, but the 3 counted and the person that was fouled got and made 2 free throws. It was like nothing you would even see in the NBA with continuation rules. It was a 5 point play and cut the Gopher lead in half.

I didn't realize this until last night when the announcers said it, but Banham has already broken 1,000 points for her career? That's insane.

The two " women "? officiating were absolutely horrible. The push off in the post was way before the 3 shot went in. If I were Pam I would've been all over that ref like a cheap suit. I hope the 3 big gals ( the Swede and the 2- 2014 freshmen) can add board and post strength. I think if the ladies can win out at home and get 1 road win plus two in the Tourney they might make the dance.

Big game today -- Minnesota @ Illinois -- at 1:00 PM CT on Big Ten Network. Both teams need the win to keep their bubble hopes alive. Last meeting Illinois won 91-86 at the Barn.

Big game today -- Minnesota @ Illinois -- at 1:00 PM CT on Big Ten Network. Both teams need the win to keep their bubble hopes alive. Last meeting Illinois won 91-86 at the Barn.

A very important game for Minnesota to enhance their bubble hopes. I think they have a good shot today if they are disciplined and Banham is on.

No need for the two teams to wear different colored uniforms today, if you know what I mean.

Turnovers. Lots of falling down by our ladies. Weight room anyone? Kyla Hirt is really slow. Illinois
quickness sealing off the passing lanes. Same old, same old. Banham doesn't score 30, the ladies lose.

Are women taught to shoot from their shoulder like that? They all have that funky set shot from their shoulder and out like a shot put.

I'm having my first daughter in a few months, I need to figure this stuff out.

Alright Riche has 3 buckets in a row .. Banham steal leads to a Cotton lay-up.

55-54 Illini 7:18 left

Men shoot more with their wrists. Many of the women shoot with their arms/shoulders because of strength. This is why when you see the women shoot the three it is more of a standing 3. Banham has the wrists to shoot an " actual " jump shot. If you notice, the way Banham shoots freethrows, you'll see what I mean.

Minnesota is 5th team outside looking in Charlie Creme's Bracketology for ESPN.

So this last stretch will literally make or break.

vs Northwestern (should be a win)
@ Ohio State (A potentially tough game, but it's Minnesota to lose for sure)
vs Purdue (Tough opponent, but very winnable, Gophers always match up well)
vs Penn State (same as Purdue game)
@ Indiana (1-11 in big ten, should also be a win)

B1G Tourny Game: Expect a 1st round win...

I think 4 wins gets them in, 3 doesn't...

Gophers @ Ohio State tonight 5:00 PM CT on BTN.

Teague will be there for this one.

Top Bottom