All Things 2012-2013 Gopher Women's Basketball Season Thread

Pam just got her 200th win. And as a reward she gets Maryland added to the league.

Pam should be just thrilled. You all do remember Pam made the 2004 NCAA Final Four with Brenda's players don't you?

People have forever made this mistake, and I am forever correcting them: Cheryl Littlejohn recruited the bulk of the players that made the Final Four, including Whalen and McCarville. Brenda came in for one season and already had all that talent on the roster. Maybe someday people will stop with the "Brenda's players" garbage.

@pamborton: Proud of this team... a couple BIG wins on the road! Grew as a team and we saw a lot of adversity. Have a long ways to go, but we are 6-1!

Go Gophers!!

People have forever made this mistake, and I am forever correcting them: Cheryl Littlejohn recruited the bulk of the players that made the Final Four, including Whalen and McCarville. Brenda came in for one season and already had all that talent on the roster. Maybe someday people will stop with the "Brenda's players" garbage.

How dare you tell GH'ers they make mistakes, especially when they don't know about what they speak.

TV reminder -- Gophers host Virginia in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge tonight on BTN at 7 PM. Freshman starting guard Mikayla Bailey is uncertain for tonights game due to illness.

B1G needs to sweep all 4 games tonight to win the series. ACC leads 5-3.

TV reminder -- Gophers host Virginia in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge tonight on BTN at 7 PM. Freshman starting guard Mikayla Bailey is uncertain for tonights game due to illness.

B1G needs to sweep all 4 games tonight to win the series. ACC leads 5-3.

Virginia is 4-1, Gophers are 6-1

Horrible performance

Pam recruits slow players. Virginia much quicker at all positions.

This is the worse performance by a gopher lady's team I have ever seen. They have some shooters, but that's it. Really discouraging.

2,000 in attendance ? Did they come disguised as empty seats?
Time for Pammy to move back to the Sports Pavillion for the predominantly white slow
footed Gopher's

Time for Pammy to move back to the Sports Pavillion for the predominantly slow
footed Gopher's

FIFY. Why bring race into your otherwise accurate comment.

Time for Pammy to move back to the Sports Pavillion for the predominantly white slow
footed Gopher's

What the hell difference does it make to you if they play in Williams? Pretty sure they're capable of figuring out how to squeeze the practice and game schedules of two teams in. As far as I know, every other team in the league does it. Incidentally, of the 12 players on the team 5 are "non-white". If you actually knew anything about the subject, you'd realize this league is predominantly filled with slow players when compared to other leagues. Been that way for years. The Big Ten doesn't have a recent history of being that tough.

No need for the "Pammy" either. Sort of like the few jerks who refer to Kill as "Country Jer" because they don't like him. Snarky stupidity doesn't pass as wit or knowledge.

I think a good case can be made for a new women's coach. The value she seems to place on toughness and defense instead of ball-handling and shooting drives me nuts. It would be nice to see an actual discussion of that instead of the knee-jerk dislike some spout.

Starting freshman guard Mikayla Bailey has been out with mono. Not sure when she will return.

Banham with 20 points in the first half tonight vs. UMKC. Gophers up 46-29.

Banham with 29 for the night in LadyGophers 87-49 win over UMKC.

Mulligan....I would love to have a discussion with you about LGB. First, I would go back into the archives and look at the problems Pam has had with players leaving. Then I would check her recruiting class for this year and last. Then I would go back and see the comments Taylor Hill said about not considering Minnesota even in here final 4. Then I would ask the young lady at DelaSale
who by many think is the best player in the state this year other than Rebecca Dahlman from Braham
who is going to Vanderbuil, why she didn't even give Minnesota a sniff. Then I would look back and see that her only success was with Cheryl Littlejohn's recruits ( J. Mac , Whalen etc. ) After you have done that given that it takes alot
bucko's to maintain Williams Arena versus the Sports Pavillion why in the wide world of sports should the Lady Gopher's be allowed to play 15 games a year in front of 1,500 fans?

I went to the game today, along with a few hundred others. Probably the smallest crowd they've had in a decade, but obviously largely due to the awful weather.

They had a really cool promotion today...a "Daddy/Daughter Day" promotion which included food vouchers for both Daddy and Daughter, a very nice embroidered Gopher blanket for the daughter and they had a photo booth for us to take pictures together which they printed immediately. I hope this is an annual promotion as both my little lady and I had a great time.

Go Gophers!!

Mulligan....I would love to have a discussion with you about LGB. First, I would go back into the archives and look at the problems Pam has had with players leaving. Then I would check her recruiting class for this year and last. Then I would go back and see the comments Taylor Hill said about not considering Minnesota even in here final 4. Then I would ask the young lady at DelaSale
who by many think is the best player in the state this year other than Rebecca Dahlman from Braham
who is going to Vanderbuil, why she didn't even give Minnesota a sniff. Then I would look back and see that her only success was with Cheryl Littlejohn's recruits ( J. Mac , Whalen etc. ) After you have done that given that it takes alot
bucko's to maintain Williams Arena versus the Sports Pavillion why in the wide world of sports should the Lady Gopher's be allowed to play 15 games a year in front of 1,500 fans?

First of all, I'd have no opposition to replacing Pam Borton. The program has been on a slow slide for quite a while. I used to have season tickets but now pick and choose so I really don't need to go back and check anything. Don't need to dredge up the obvious I've gleaned from the newspaper; believe me, I've watched and followed it closely.

Your main point was to move the women's program into the Pavilion simply because you have a burr up your arse about Borton. So your knee-jerk solution, born of an ignorance you try to hide, is to punish the players and the whole program. Again, every other team in the league plays in the same arena as the men do. That includes several teams whose attendance is worse than the Gophers. It doesn't take bucko's to state that. It just shows ignorance on your part. Why in the hell would you make it even harder for one of your programs to succeed? Because you throw out a number like 1,500? Attendance under Borton has been 4,000 to 5,000 until last year when it dipped to 3,500. Ya, I know, but all schools count tickets sold.

Love the way you cherrypick the recruiting. Again, shows your actual dearth of knowledge. Dahlmans have a pretty good record of ignoring the University. Tayler Hill was a Michael Floyd or Sentrel Henderson type. She simply wanted a larger stage. The one that really hurt was Nia Coffey who I would have thought Borton could get. Hopefully, she can get Wagner which would salvage that class. It's not the quality of Minnesota recruits. She's gotten her share of the highly rated ones like Voight, Hirt, Banham, Buford, Ellis-Milan, Loberg. Problems are sometimes the players don't mesh; she doesn't value kids who don't fit her tough, rugged style; and, most important, her players often hit a wall their junior year and sometimes regress as seniors. Incidently, since the mass defection, there has been no transfer problem. Entirely within the norm for women's basketball. Then again, someone like you wouldn't know that.

Mulligan... The Sports Pavillion is a nice venue for VB and Lady's hoops. Even Tubby has mentioned the conflicts between men's and women's BB in regards to shared practice times. The revenue producing men's team should have top priority till the new BB practice facility is built. You don't see
women's hockey team playing in men's arena.

Gophers rallied from 15 down with 6:42 left to beat MVC preseason favorite Creighton 88-81 in 2OT. Gophers trailed by 20 near the end of the first half.

Quality win; CU's losses are to ranked teams Oklahoma and Kansas and they beat Nebraska when the Huskers were ranked.

Banham career-high 39 pts, Riche 23 pts & 10 rebs. Watertown native Marissa Janning led Creighton with 18 points before fouling out in the first OT. Nelson ended up leading them with 19 points.

Banham is amazing. Heck of a comeback today.

Go Gophers!!

Awful first half. Thought hard about going home to catch the first half of the Vikings. Hell of a fun second half more than made up for sitting through the first 20 minutes. Banham was great--just fearless-- but Riche also played really well. Amazing thing was we hit 1 3-pointer out of what seemed like about 20 shots though it wasn't that many.

Well, the defense was awful throughout. The Gopher women seem not to fight over picks, instead ending up accepting whatever mismatches the Blue Jays wanted to create. And the Creighton post, Nelson, repeatedly backed down to the rim dribbling the ball 6 even 8 times and help never arrived. Where have you ever seen a post dribble the ball 6 or 8 times in the paint and not get doubled? And eventually turn and drop in the easy layup? Wow. And they never got out on the 3 ball. Even in OT when trailing by 8 Creighton had no other option but throwing up the long ball. And sure enough they hit 3 of them inside of 1 minute to force a 2nd OT. Terrible.

A three game stretch of Gopher Women's games on BTN coming up.

01/20/13 vs. Nebraska * Williams Arena 5:00 p.m. CT
01/24/13 at Penn State * University Park, Pa. 5:30 p.m. CT
01/28/13 vs. Illinois * Williams Arena 8:00 p.m. CT

If I'm not mistaken, the women *used* to play in William when hockey was in the same building. Then they moved over to the Pav because of the small crowds. Then they got too big for the Pav and moved back to William.

If I'm not mistaken, the women *used* to play in William when hockey was in the same building. Then they moved over to the Pav because of the small crowds. Then they got too big for the Pav and moved back to William.

There was a water pipe burst in winter 2002. The damage forced all tenants at the Pavillion to move over to Williams for the rest of the winter. The first game for the women over there was a Sunday game v. Indiana that drew over 12,000, and it was off to the races ever since.

And to answer your question, the Pavillion is good for volleyball and other things, but not good for basketball anymore. Everything has to be marked out with athletic tape, and it's a mile away from everyone.

Pam Borton had mentioned on twitter 4 days ago how they had added another member in the 2014 class to the "Gopher Family". Any idea who that is?

And has Kenisha Bell decommitted in the 2014 class? She is a great talent was #18 in the class, don't know what she is now.

Top Bottom