All Things 2012-2013 Gopher Women's Basketball Season Thread

All I know its a good thing they were up 10 down the stretch and not 4......cause that last 90 seconds was UGLY.....but The Gophers pull it out.....

Nice win! The Gophers shot 66.7% from the field and, out of 170 total points , the benches combined for 12 of them. Both pretty unbelievable.

Mullaney with six big FT's down the stretch when the game was still a game.

The gals must have been inspired by the announcement of Pam's extension.:rolleyes:

This is what we have. A coach with a two year extension that doesn't know how to get the ball in from the baseline. Nicki Green? Should have been tossed. Git rid of women officials. The two last night should be on report to the B1G offices. Anybody see Green punch Kellogg in the stomach?

This is what we have. A coach with a two year extension that doesn't know how to get the ball in from the baseline. Nicki Green? Should have been tossed. Git rid of women officials. The two last night should be on report to the B1G offices. Anybody see Green punch Kellogg in the stomach?

Greene and Griner both HS recruits out of Texas the same year? What do they feed the Centers in Texas??

Gophers win at Indiana 59-53. Riche had 17 pts, 15 rebs.

Gophers end up tied for 8th place at 7-9 with Ohio State after the Buckeyes upset Michigan today. But Gophers swept OSU so they get the #8 seed.

#8 Gophers v. #9 Ohio State Thursday in Hoffman Estates, Ill at 6:00 on BTN.

I'm guessing the ladies need to win the BTT to get to the dance. Although I think other than Bayor
UConn,Maryland, Tenn,and Stanford you could throw the rest of the teams in a hopper and pick your seedings.

Hey, it turns out I'm traveling with the pep band to the Big Ten women's basketball tournament later this week. I see we're an 8 seed playing 9 seed Ohio State in the first round, and that we have identical 7-9 conference records, with the Gophers having one more win overall, and winning both games against the Buckeyes in the regular season. I haven't been following women's basketball this year, but I remember Ohio State being a top 10 or 15 team last year, I was at the game when we beat them at the Barn, so it seems they have fallen off since last season? Mostly I'm curious what you guys who have been following the team think of our chances of a first round victory, and maybe the chance that we might beat Penn State in the second round? I remember we beat them last week, and it looks like we only lost by 5 in Happy Valley.

We beat tOSU twice; once on a Banham wing and a prayer in Columbus. We played Penn State tough in Happy Valley and beat them here. If Banham catches on fire in the tourney the ladies could win 2-3 games. I don't think they've the depth to win it all

Hey, it turns out I'm traveling with the pep band to the Big Ten women's basketball tournament later this week. I see we're an 8 seed playing 9 seed Ohio State in the first round, and that we have identical 7-9 conference records, with the Gophers having one more win overall, and winning both games against the Buckeyes in the regular season. I haven't been following women's basketball this year, but I remember Ohio State being a top 10 or 15 team last year, I was at the game when we beat them at the Barn, so it seems they have fallen off since last season? Mostly I'm curious what you guys who have been following the team think of our chances of a first round victory, and maybe the chance that we might beat Penn State in the second round? I remember we beat them last week, and it looks like we only lost by 5 in Happy Valley.

The first two rounds are favorable for the Gophers.

The Buckeyes are also on the bubble, so beating them is huge, and a game the gophers should win. However OSU is HOT as of late.

Penn State is always a team the Gophers play well, going back to the 2nd round of the tournament last year.

Ultimately, I think 2 wins is the magic number to get them in.

Too bad we couldn't win against Northwestern!

Btw...

Banham 1st team All-Big Ten, Mullaney on the All-Big Ten Freshman team, and Riche an HM All-Big Ten.

Congrats to all 3.

per Shama:

Borton & U Need to Build on 2013

Coach Pam Borton, finishing up her 11th season at Minnesota, saw more than a 58-47 opening round Big Ten Tournament loss to Ohio State last night. The defeat almost for certain left Minnesota, with an overall 18-13 record, out of the women’s NCAA Tournament field to be announced later this month.

The Gophers haven’t been to the tournament since 2009. Borton’s Big Ten regular season records the last four seasons are 6-12, 4-12, 6-10 and 7-9 in 2013. Those results are in contrast to her early years at Minnesota when the Gophers had winning conference records, made two Sweet 16 appearances and one Final Four.

Along with a fall off in wins has also come a decline in home attendance. A program that once drew over 9,000 fans in Williams Arena for some games regularly announces crowds now of 2,500 to 5,000 and averaged 3,405 this season.

That means lost revenue for the athletic department, and among women’s sports Gophers basketball rates high among potential revenue generators. And there’s plenty of potential to make Gophers basketball — the state’s only Division I women’s program — much more significant financially.

New administrators in the athletic department have basketball expertise. They should be interested in improvement on the court and at the box office. Athletic director Norwood Teague built part of his reputation as AD at VCU on the hiring of men’s basketball coach Shaka Smart who made the Rams a national brand. Senior associate athletic director Mike Ellis is a former basketball coach and founder of the Villa 7 consortium that brings outstanding women’s and men’s assistant basketball coaches together with athletic directors for networking and career development.

Teague’s most recent hire is Beth Goetz who previously worked at Butler where men’s coach Brad Stevens praised her work in the school’s athletic department. Stevens and Smart are considered two of the best young coaches in the country. As a senior associate athletic director at Minnesota, Goetz’s responsibilities include overseeing women’s basketball.

Borton’s 2013 starters all have remaining eligibility. The group includes sophomore guard Rachel Banham, an All-Big Ten player who averaged 21 points per game and has been described as “the next Lindsay Whalen.” Another returnee is junior forward Micaella Riche who averaged 7.7 rebounds per game. And Borton has 6-5 Swedish center Amanda Zuhi ready to play for the first time next fall.

Next fall those players will create expectations for better results than either they or Borton have known in recent seasons.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Borton & U Need to Build on 2013

Coach Pam Borton, finishing up her 11th season at Minnesota, saw more than a 58-47 opening round Big Ten Tournament loss to Ohio State last night. The defeat almost for certain left Minnesota, with an overall 18-13 record, out of the women’s NCAA Tournament field to be announced later this month.

The Gophers haven’t been to the tournament since 2009. Borton’s Big Ten regular season records the last four seasons are 6-12, 4-12, 6-10 and 7-9 in 2013. Those results are in contrast to her early years at Minnesota when the Gophers had winning conference records, made two Sweet 16 appearances and one Final Four.

Along with a fall off in wins has also come a decline in home attendance. A program that once drew over 9,000 fans in Williams Arena for some games regularly announces crowds now of 2,500 to 5,000 and averaged 3,405 this season.

That means lost revenue for the athletic department, and among women’s sports Gophers basketball rates high among potential revenue generators. And there’s plenty of potential to make Gophers basketball — the state’s only Division I women’s program — much more significant financially.

New administrators in the athletic department have basketball expertise. They should be interested in improvement on the court and at the box office. Athletic director Norwood Teague built part of his reputation as AD at VCU on the hiring of men’s basketball coach Shaka Smart who made the Rams a national brand. Senior associate athletic director Mike Ellis is a former basketball coach and founder of the Villa 7 consortium that brings outstanding women’s and men’s assistant basketball coaches together with athletic directors for networking and career development.

Teague’s most recent hire is Beth Goetz who previously worked at Butler where men’s coach Brad Stevens praised her work in the school’s athletic department. Stevens and Smart are considered two of the best young coaches in the country. As a senior associate athletic director at Minnesota, Goetz’s responsibilities include overseeing women’s basketball.

Borton’s 2013 starters all have remaining eligibility. The group includes sophomore guard Rachel Banham, an All-Big Ten player who averaged 21 points per game and has been described as “the next Lindsay Whalen.” Another returnee is junior forward Micaella Riche who averaged 7.7 rebounds per game. And Borton has 6-5 Swedish center Amanda Zuhi ready to play for the first time next fall.

Next fall those players will create expectations for better results than either they or Borton have known in recent seasons.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

bump

Watching some of the state basketball tournament and noticing all these girls going to BCS schools and none headed to Minnesota. How good would the Gophers be with Banham and Dahlman or even adding in Johnson or Coffey. Seems like it was a bad year to only have 2 players and scholarships to replace, seems like Borton either missed out or couldn't land some very talented in state players. Seems like it was a bad year to only have 2 players and scholarships to replace. I believe Dahlman and Coffey were both named to the mcdonalds all american game and instead of playing for the Gophers they are headed to Vanderbilt and Northwestern respectively.

Future Gopher Carlie Wagner had 48 points and 13 rebounds as her team advanced to play in the state championship tomorrow against Rebekah Dahlman's Braham squad.

Gophers host Ball State Friday night in the first round of the WNIT. Can't imagine a big crowd with the men playing and the womens hockey Frozen Four next door.

Borton cannot keep the elite, explosive 3a, and 4A Metro players in State and that is problem. For the most part, she has given up on recruiting them for the most part from what I can tell.

I know Banham is the exception, but Nia Coffee, Starr/Johnsonfrom DeLasalle, and the the explosive girl from Kennedy going to Georgetown did not want to play for Pam Borton. There was also a track/BB star from Richfield and great player at Tartan that all went elsewhere.

This is not about that Braham girl, this is all the big school talent that is leaving every single year. These young women want nothing to do with Borton and her program.

Maybe they should just hand it over to assistant Ted Riverso. He could actually get some of these players to sign up.

Something is very wrong with this program. If Minnesota would keep the best Metro players here every year, we would have a top Big Ten team every year.

Touchy issue with Pam. You can bet whether right or wrong, that some mothers will say my daughter is not playing for Pam Borton. You're dealing with philosophical issues here that will continue to be closet comments in the circle of recruiting. You would hope one would be judged on their coaching abilities and not their social preferences.

Gophers host Ball State Friday night in the first round of the WNIT. Can't imagine a big crowd with the men playing and the womens hockey Frozen Four next door.
I would guess a very small crowd and you can also throw in that Gopher mens hockey plays Friday night in the final 5 at the X and probably will play against UND.

I suppose some of the crowd from the women's hockey game at 5:00 might head over to William's for the women's basketball game. I expect it will be a pretty thin crowd, too much else competing with it. Still, the spillover might be significant, the tickets for the women's hockey game are sold out, and tickets are being sold on Stubhub for quite a lot over face value.

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

That's what it'll be like at Williams Arena.

And let's not forget, the Gopher program was "in a great situation" heading into the Big Ten Tournament.

Now, if this game were played at noon, the attendance probably would be a lot better. People could start their partying by going to the WNIT game, then the women's hockey game and then the men's hockey game. Maybe they could show the men's hockey game on the Williams Arena scoreboard during the WNIT game. I did a little looking, and I guess there were a bit over 1,000 tickets that showed up as "sold" for this game in the seat map, around 500 were in the best sideline seats. Of course, this doesn't mean they were actually sold, they might simply be unavailable. One block that stood out was section 114 in the corner had 147 seats sold, I'm guessing that the visiting team's allotments. If anyone goes I don't think they will be checking to closely to see if you paid for a chairback seat vs. bleachers.

Top Bottom