Week 13 Bowl Projections Thread

Is this a Big Ten year for the Gator Bowl? I know that's kind of a switch back and forth arrangement.

Selfishly, I want it to be the Citrus, Outback or Guaranteed Rate bowl, because I want to take the boy, and I'm not taking a ten year old to Vegas, and there's another reason I don't want to take him to Nashville.
I don't think we have the Gator anymore, which I believe is now strictly SEC vs ACC.

Our alternating slot is the Music City and Mayo bowls.

And there is that deal where if we get the Rose and the Orange in a particular year -- could happen this year, on paper -- then the Citrus Bowl will switch us out for an SEC team.

FWIW, I've been in Tampa the past several years over New Year's and there were about double the fans from MN for the Outback than there were for Iowa the year before, and even more than there was for Michigan the year before that. I would think they'd want us back in Tampa, but the bowl folks may not have much say anymore.
Nah, it's all about TV money and expected TV audience, that drives it now.

B1G bowl projections, Week 13: Big House, big step​

Jim Tomlin | 16 hours ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ball/b1g-bowl-projections-after-week-13-2021/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...owl+projections,+Week+13:+Big+House,+big+step

First it was Ohio State. Then it was Iowa and Penn State. Then it was Michigan State. Then it was Ohio State again.
It seemed that every week this season, there was a new favorite to win the Big Ten, a new team that the league had ranked in the top 5 of either the Associated Press poll or College Football Playoff rankings or both.
The entire time, Michigan just waited, just bided its time, just kept winning.
Now, suddenly, the Wolverines are the team to beat in the B1G and our new pick among conference teams to land in the CFP semifinals.
After their monumental win on Saturday over Ohio State at the Big House, the Wolverines will vault to at least No. 4 and perhaps as high as No. 2 when the final regular-season CFP rankings are released on Tuesday.
Michigan still has a huge task on its hands, facing Iowa in this week’s B1G Championship Game in Indianapolis. But if Jim Harbaugh, who finally beat the Buckeyes for the first time as coach in Ann Arbor, can also bring home his first conference title, UM will land in the Playoff too.
We are projecting that to happen. We think Michigan will earn its way into the Playoff for the first time and be the B1G’s representative.
As for Ohio State, it’s hard for old-time fans to envision a trip to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize, but that’s exactly what it would be if the Buckeyes are sent there, and we project that as OSU’s destination. Both OSU and Michigan State wrapped up their regular seasons at 10-2, but Ohio State’s comprehensive victory over the Spartans on Nov. 20 will be the deciding factor in making the Buckeyes the B1G’s Rose Bowl representative.
In the meantime, Minnesota’s upset win over Wisconsin scrambled the league’s bowl order somewhat, and Maryland clinched bowl eligibility with its win over Rutgers on Saturday. The Terrapins are the 9th and final conference team to become bowl eligible.
These projections reflect where we think the B1G teams will be after Championship Saturday. Here are our Week 13 B1G bowl projections:

Cotton Bowl (CFP semifinal): Michigan vs. Cincinnati​

Rose Bowl: Ohio State vs. Utah​

Fiesta Bowl: Michigan State vs. Notre Dame​

Citrus Bowl: Iowa vs. Kentucky​

Outback Bowl: Minnesota vs. Arkansas​

Las Vegas Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Arizona State​

Music City Bowl: Purdue vs. Tennessee​

Pinstripe Bowl: Penn State vs. Louisville​

Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Maryland vs. West Virginia​

Notice they also have Michigan State playing in the Outback Bowl, Iowa in the Rose Bowl and Ohio State playing in the Citrus.....

Just an awful projections all the way around for SI...

Those are the worst bowl projections I have EVER seen. You almost have to try to screw up the Big Ten part of it that bad.

Selfish me is hoping for a game in either Florida (1 hour drive to the Outback bowl and a 2 hour drive for the Citrus bowl) or Vegas. Flights to LAV are cheap so I could swing it price and timing wise. Already flying back to MN for Christmas, so likely wouldn't make any of the other bowls unfortunately.

Not that anyone else cares about ForecastingAWin's Christmas plans haha

We deserve a rematch against Tennessee.

I'm still bitter about that 1986 Liberty Bowl.

We should have won it!

Lee Greenwood sang halftime. "From the lakes of Minnesota, to the Hills of Tennessee". He wore a Vols Jacket.

(18:00 Minute mark).

(I like our chances no matter who we matchup against this year).
I'm just now starting to be able to listen to that song again. That was a nightmare bowl game. The Vols fans were the worst. Even the band director was a dink. Beale Street was fun - that's it.

Nah, it's all about TV money and expected TV audience, that drives it now.
Except that with ESPN/ABC either owning/controlling or broadcasting all but two bowls (Sun and Holiday) they're going to get those audiences automatically. Even the low end bowls with few fans in attendance do good ratings.

Except that with ESPN/ABC either owning/controlling or broadcasting all but two bowls (Sun and Holiday) they're going to get those audiences automatically. Even the low end bowls with few fans in attendance do good ratings.
Two things: you're assuming that every fan of those teams will tune in no matter what bowl it is. Not necessarily so. And another big part of it is casual fans tuning in. That is highly matchup dependent.

This is just TV analytics. They know what makes them money.

I don't think we have the Gator anymore, which I believe is now strictly SEC vs ACC.

Our alternating slot is the Music City and Mayo bowls.

And there is that deal where if we get the Rose and the Orange in a particular year -- could happen this year, on paper -- then the Citrus Bowl will switch us out for an SEC team.
The Gator is ACC-SEC this year, that's correct. Indiana played last year, so I wasn't sure what the situation was. Of course last year was just kind of a mess anyway.

The Gator is ACC-SEC this year, that's correct. Indiana played last year, so I wasn't sure what the situation was. Of course last year was just kind of a mess anyway.
I think 2021 kicks off a new cycle of contracts and tie-ins for the Big Ten.

Looking at the ratings for the 2019-2020 bowl season, since last year wasn't a normal year, even the crappiest bowl games get around a million viewers. Ohio U - Nevada in the Potato Bowl did 1.36 million.

https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ball/b1g-bowl-projections-after-week-13-2021/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/b1g-bowl-projections-after-week-13-2021/&text=B1G+bowl+projections,+Week+13:+Big+House,+big+step

First it was Ohio State. Then it was Iowa and Penn State. Then it was Michigan State. Then it was Ohio State again.
It seemed that every week this season, there was a new favorite to win the Big Ten, a new team that the league had ranked in the top 5 of either the Associated Press poll or College Football Playoff rankings or both.
Now, suddenly, the Wolverines are the team to beat in the B1G and our new pick among conference teams to land in the CFP semifinals.
After their monumental win on Saturday over Ohio State at the Big House, the Wolverines will vault to at least No. 4 and perhaps as high as No. 2 when the final regular-season CFP rankings are released on Tuesday.
Michigan still has a huge task on its hands, facing Iowa in this week’s B1G Championship Game in Indianapolis. But if Jim Harbaugh, who finally beat the Buckeyes for the first time as coach in Ann Arbor, can also bring home his first conference title, UM will land in the Playoff too.
We are projecting that to happen. We think Michigan will earn its way into the Playoff for the first time and be the B1G’s representative.
As for Ohio State, it’s hard for old-time fans to envision a trip to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize, but that’s exactly what it would be if the Buckeyes are sent there, and we project that as OSU’s destination. Both OSU and Michigan State wrapped up their regular seasons at 10-2, but Ohio State’s comprehensive victory over the Spartans on Nov. 20 will be the deciding factor in making the Buckeyes the B1G’s Rose Bowl representative.
In the meantime, Minnesota’s upset win over Wisconsin scrambled the league’s bowl order somewhat, and Maryland clinched bowl eligibility with its win over Rutgers on Saturday. The Terrapins are the 9th and final conference team to become bowl eligible.
These projections reflect where we think the B1G teams will be after Championship Saturday. Here are our Week 13 B1G bowl projections:

Nice...that's the second Outback Bowl prediction I've seen. Like I pointed out above, a lot of publications are coming together on Purdue to Music City (driving distance), PSU to Pinstripe (east coast, NYC draw), and Maryland to Phoenix (lowest rung on the totem pole). If those things hold true, it's either Outback or Vegas. Both pretty cool, but I'm hoping for Outback...both to play an SEC team and because flights to Tampa are cheap for me personally...while Vegas is NOT at all right now.

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/b1g-bowl-projections-after-week-13-2021/&text=B1G+bowl+projections,+Week+13:+Big+House,+big+step

How hard do bowls try to avoid rematches? There’s actually 2 potential rematches here, those being Maryland vs. West Virginia and, if Oregon wins the PAC-12 championship game, Ohio State vs. Oregon in the Rose bowl. I’d assume the Guaranteed Rate Bowl could easily swap teams around to avoid a Maryland vs. West Virginia rematch, but the Rose Bowl seems tougher. I think they’d have to take Oregon as the PAC-12 champ, and I thought they were maybe also obligated to take the highest ranked Big Ten team if Michigan wins the Big Ten and goes to the playoff, but would they be able to take Michigan State instead of Ohio State in that scenario? Or would the playoff committee subtly bump Michigan State just ahead of Ohio State in the rankings to avoid a rematch?

How hard do bowls try to avoid rematches? There’s actually 2 potential rematches here, those being Maryland vs. West Virginia and, if Oregon wins the PAC-12 championship game, Ohio State vs. Oregon in the Rose bowl. I’d assume the Guaranteed Rate Bowl could easily swap teams around to avoid a Maryland vs. West Virginia rematch, but the Rose Bowl seems tougher. I think they’d have to take Oregon as the PAC-12 champ, and I thought they were maybe also obligated to take the highest ranked Big Ten team if Michigan wins the Big Ten and goes to the playoff, but would they be able to take Michigan State instead of Ohio State in that scenario? Or would the playoff committee subtly bump Michigan State just ahead of Ohio State in the rankings to avoid a rematch?
I can give you 50 reasons why Michigan state will NOT jump Ohio state in the polls

1) Purdue
2) 56-7

5vymbg.jpg

Tennessee is a nobody. Nashville is a 3rd rate city. Nationwide, the Music City Bowl in some anonymous red state craphole gets no attention.

Give me UCLA in Vegas, baby. Lots more sizzle.

on Tennessee and "Rocky Top" -

the liquor store in my home town was having a clearance sale to get rid of some old booze that wasn't selling. a buddy of mine showed up at my place with a case - 24 bottles - of half-pints of "Foamy Top" Sloe Gin.

by the end of the night, we were singing "Good Old Foamy Top" to the tune of "Rocky Top." even since then, any time Tennessee is playing and I hear that song, I flash back to getting hammered on cheap sloe gin.

(hey - I went to rehab 3 times, and I earned every trip.....)

With these bowls popping up in Baseball stadiums, maybe a Target Bowl will happen someday. I believe the field is heated.

FWIW. https://www.outbackbowl.com/
Always has a poll up all year long on who you want to see play, but just tweeted out to go vote.
Wisconsin was at like 15% this AM before tweet. Now WI at 68%. They must have bots working on their side.

With these bowls popping up in Baseball stadiums, maybe a Target Bowl will happen someday. I believe the field is heated.
As a Twins season ticket holder, please no. And yes the field is heated, but they need to stop destroying the field for these gimmicks.

My wife and I enjoyed the Tampa Bay Area so much during the last Gophers in the Outback Bowl that we bought a home in the area.

So obvious choice for me is a Florida bowl. That said, I don’t get the love affair with playing SEC teams. Its like cry that they are overrated but then feed the overrating more. I don’t think we can both run with the narrative that we get overlooked and then want to overlook others such as solid PAC 12 teams. Vegas would be fun. Been there done that with Nashville - multiple times.

Top Bottom