Week 13 Bowl Projections Thread

We were just at the Outback two seasons ago. Vegas or Nashville would be more fun.

SDS also has us pegged for Outback vs Arkansas: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-bowl-projections-after-week-13-2021/
If you were at the Outback last time you know it was VERY FUN and many Gophers fans would love to go back! New Year's Day game, Busch Gardens, beautiful weather, fun parade, good pregame party, nice NFL stadium, marquee opponent.

Vegas would be my next choice for weather, crazy fun town, and awesome new stadium. But the downsides are a 10:30 ET start (how many people watching that?), "lesser" opponent, expensive hotels, and (at least from my neck of the woods) super expensive flights. I honestly probably can't go (boo hoo, I know).

Nashville is a distant third. Would've been thrilled to get it last week just to avoid Pinstripe or Phoenix, but it now seems like a consolation prize.

If you were at the Outback last time you know it was VERY FUN and many Gophers fans would love to go back! New Year's Day game, Busch Gardens, beautiful weather, fun parade, good pregame party, nice NFL stadium, marquee opponent.

Vegas would be my next choice for weather, crazy fun town, and awesome new stadium. But the downsides are a 10:30 ET start (how many people watching that?), "lesser" opponent, expensive hotels, and (at least from my neck of the woods) super expensive flights. I honestly probably can't go (boo hoo, I know).

Nashville is a distant third. Would've been thrilled to get it last week just to avoid Pinstripe or Phoenix, but it now seems like a consolation prize.
Unfortunately I was not. But you do a great sell job.

OK, you convinced me! 🤩

Do we know when it would be announce which bowl game we go too? Is there a specific date or time frame usually of when we will find out?

Should be next Sunday when they announce the CFP pairings.
Yes. A lot still depends on how the Championships play out. If Iowa beats Michigan, where does that drop Michigan State, for instance?

Also, I know you have been around awhile (like I have). I have a long memory with a sprinkling of mis-trust for Bowl representatives in general. The new Big 10 system seems to work better than it used to. We may be "ahead" of Puride, Penn State, Wisconsin in the Bowl selection "pecking order". But maybe not though. Seems like we got passed over by better Bowls a few times in the years 1999-2012 period. The Alamo Bowl about 2-3 times, I recall. And even being passed by Purdue and Penn State to get sent to El Paso in 1999.......fun town, but we probably deserved a berth in the Outback that year. Do we deserve the Outback this year? I think so. But I am a Goper fan. Not sure my opinion is valued or relevant......

"Minnesota has a good defense but we can exploit them with speed and speed offense. They are highly dependent on the run game and we can manage that. We could win that one with a 50-17 type score."

Off the Vols site hahahahaha these clowns say this every year. Auburn did too. Tennessee will get hammered by us. Boring

"Minnesota has a good defense but we can exploit them with speed and speed offense. They are highly dependent on the run game and we can manage that. We could win that one with a 50-17 type score."

Off the Vols site hahahahaha these clowns say this every year. Auburn did too. Tennessee will get hammered by us. Boring
I agree. Tennessee doesn’t move the needle much for me. I’d rather play a good team, not some “has been” whose fans don’t realize they’ve been circling the drain for the last dozen years. Tennessee did manage to beat Bowling Green this year, so I guess they have that going for them.

I’d be a little happier playing Arkansas based on them being slightly more competent on the field this year.

TN did make the UGA D look more human than any other team this year!

I do think PJs sparkle may help MN a bit in not being picked over. Bowls want a product that sells. But still an uphill battle for our beloved rodents.

Selfishly I want to go to Las Vegas. I'm 100% in if the Gophers go there.

The Power Trip Morning Show made some comments about going to Vegas if the Gophers play there. If the Power Trip broadcasts from LV....I'd maybe be able to get one or two friends to come with.

Just voted on this, for fun, and noticed Minnesota is only receiving 3% of the vote — yuck.

Arkansas, Tennessee, and UCLA would all be fun matchups and good competitive games. I'd be happy with any of them. I'd love to play Kentucky too, but they seem to be a rung above us in the bowl carousel...

And there is that deal where if we get the Rose and the Orange in a particular year -- could happen this year, on paper -- then the Citrus Bowl will switch us out for an SEC team.
The SEC already has a team in the Citrus Bowl. So how does that work?

The SEC already has a team in the Citrus Bowl. So how does that work?
Pretty sure he meant they'd swap a Big Ten team out for an ACC team, not an SEC team. I remember some rule about if a Big Ten team plays in the Orange Bowl, then the Citrus Bowl cannot take a Big Ten team, and I think they take an ACC team instead. But I believe that was for the last bowl cycle, not sure if that rule still applies to the current one.

If Michigan beats Iowa:

CFP - Michigan
Rose - Ohio State
Fiesta/Peach - Michigan State
Citrus - Iowa
Outback - Purdue
Vegas - Wisconsin
Music City - Minnesota
Guaranteed Rate - Penn State
Pinstripe - Maryland

If Iowa wins, they get the Rose Bowl and bump Sparty to the Citrus. I don't think anything else changes. Our recent trip to Tampa and Purdue not playing there since the Drew Brees days coupled with their hot finish gives them the nod. Vegas/Nashville could flip, but my hunch is they'll send the Badgers out west. Penn State gets a date with old rival West Virginia in Phoenix.

Pretty sure he meant they'd swap a Big Ten team out for an ACC team, not an SEC team. I remember some rule about if a Big Ten team plays in the Orange Bowl, then the Citrus Bowl cannot take a Big Ten team, and I think they take an ACC team instead. But I believe that was for the last bowl cycle, not sure if that rule still applies to the current one.
The Orange Bowl is part of the playoff this season.

New Years 6 = Mich , Mich St, Ohio St
Citrus = Iowa v. Kentucky
Outback = It seems like it should be Minnesota (again). In the three-way tie with Minnesota, Iowa, and Purdue, Minnesota is 2-0, Wisconsin 1-1, Purdue 0-2. Of course, they don’t select that way. But they probably should. The SEC team with the edge is Arkansas, having beat Texas A&M head-to-head.
Las Vegas - Wisconsin vs. AZ St or UCLA
Music City - Purdue vs Miss State
Pinstripe - Penn State v. VA Tech
Quicklane - Maryland vs MAC Champion
Guaranteed Rate - unfilled

(But I think they’ll put Minnesota against Tennessee in the Music City Bowl.)

Yes. A lot still depends on how the Championships play out. If Iowa beats Michigan, where does that drop Michigan State, for instance?

Also, I know you have been around awhile (like I have). I have a long memory with a sprinkling of mis-trust for Bowl representatives in general. The new Big 10 system seems to work better than it used to. We may be "ahead" of Puride, Penn State, Wisconsin in the Bowl selection "pecking order". But maybe not though. Seems like we got passed over by better Bowls a few times in the years 1999-2012 period. The Alamo Bowl about 2-3 times, I recall. And even being passed by Purdue and Penn State to get sent to El Paso in 1999.......fun town, but we probably deserved a berth in the Outback that year. Do we deserve the Outback this year? I think so. But I am a Goper fan. Not sure my opinion is valued or relevant......

I'd think that if Iowa were to win, they'd jump up into the top 12 and be eligible for a New Year's Six Bowl. The winner of the ACC Championship (Pitt or Wake) will likely jump into the top 12. Just basing this off the AP Poll (I know...not a perfect gauge)....it would push MSU out. OSU is safe....and I'd think that Michigan wouldn't fall out.

Really....the best case scenario, IMO, is Michigan winning and going to the CFP. OSU will get a NY6 Bowl. MSU is the wild card. The ACC will get a NY6 Bowl. Leaves very little room for error. MSU was already ahead of BYU in last weeks CFP rankings. I don't think they swap spots after MSU beat Penn State and BYU beat a very down USC. Winner of Utah/Oregon likely gets a NY6 Bowl. OK State/Baylor could make things interesting. OK State beating Baylor would push them out I'd think. Baylor beating OK State would likely end with both getting a NY6 Bowl.

Anyways.....lots of factors remain. Just based on all the scenarios....and taking into account last weeks CFP rankings.....I think the Big Ten is likely to send three teams to the CFP/NY6 Bowls. One ten win Big Ten team will get the Citrus or the Outback Bowl. Then we'll just have to cross our fingers, hoping for the other.

Just for fun, this is what VolNation thinks of their bowl game projections.
Playing Tennessee in a bowl game was a meh... for me. No real interest, they are at most a wannabe, not anything like our game with Auburn.

After reading the comments, now I wouldn't mind opening up a can of whop ass on them. Nothing is more fun than destroying the hopes of a delusional fanbase, just like Nebraska.

Playing Tennessee in a bowl game was a meh... for me. No real interest, they are at most a wannabe, not anything like our game with Auburn.

After reading the comments, now I wouldn't mind opening up a can of whop ass on them. Nothing is more fun than destroying the hopes of a delusional fanbase, just like Nebraska.
Easy Bobby

FWIW. https://www.outbackbowl.com/
Always has a poll up all year long on who you want to see play, but just tweeted out to go vote.
Wisconsin was at like 15% this AM before tweet. Now WI at 68%. They must have bots working on their side.
Ok, I voted!! I do not want to go to Nashville...it's was freezing last time I went there in November, no thanks in the dead of winter.

If Michigan beats Iowa:

CFP - Michigan
Rose - Ohio State
Fiesta/Peach - Michigan State
Citrus - Iowa
Outback - Purdue
Vegas - Wisconsin
Music City - Minnesota
Guaranteed Rate - Penn State
Pinstripe - Maryland

If Iowa wins, they get the Rose Bowl and bump Sparty to the Citrus. I don't think anything else changes. Our recent trip to Tampa and Purdue not playing there since the Drew Brees days coupled with their hot finish gives them the nod. Vegas/Nashville could flip, but my hunch is they'll send the Badgers out west. Penn State gets a date with old rival West Virginia in Phoenix.
I could see all this for sure. Hadn't considered PU to the Outback considering they lost to both Wisconsin and MN, but the B1G needs to get 6 different teams during the 6 year bowl cycle (2020 - 2025), so this could be a good chance to place PU in a bowl they might not "qualify" for as often as Minnesota and Wisconsin. Honestly, the Outback through Music City could be filled by any of those three teams, so your guess is as good as anyone's.

Ok, I voted!! I do not want to go to Nashville...it's was freezing last time I went there in November, no thanks in the dead of winter.
Average high for end of December for Nashville would be upper 40's or low 50's I think...

Top Bottom