Week 13 Bowl Projections Thread

According to published figures, the Music City does have a higher payout than the Las Vegas Bowl but the sources I saw could be using older figures.
All the bowl payouts just go into a big pot for the conference and then get split evenly to all members as part of the big check that the Big Ten cuts to every school per year.

All the TV money (conference deals and the CFP deal), bowl game payouts, money from all NCAA tournament appearances/"credits", etc. all goes into this pot to get evenly split.

Doesn’t really have as much to do with that anymore. But I would say us. Actually we probably have moved into the top half of the big ten traveling fan bases

1) Ohio state
2) Nebraska
3) iowa
4) wisconsin
5) Penn state
6) Michigan
7) Us or Michigan state

Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, northwestern clearly behind us.

Makes sense. Minnesota is wealthier than Indiana and has a more populous alumni than Northwestern. Northwestern really doesn't have much of a regional fan attachment either. Minnesota isn't wealthier than New Jersey or Maryland but those two programs haven't given their fan base much of a reason to travel lately.

So the Vegas Bowl is technically above the Music City Bowl? I still feel like Music City is the more prestigious bowl. Plus you play an SEC opponent rather than Pac-12.
It's a tiered system now and Vegas and Music City are technically in the same tier, but I believe if you have to list them on paper in order the Vegas game is higher.

All the bowl payouts just go into a big pot for the conference and then get split evenly to all members as part of the big check that the Big Ten cuts to every school per year.

All the TV money (conference deals and the CFP deal), bowl game payouts, money from all NCAA tournament appearances/"credits", etc. all goes into this pot to get evenly split.

I knew that but one would think that the bowl payout should be somewhat correlated with prestige.

It's a tiered system now and Vegas and Music City are technically in the same tier, but I believe if you have to list them on paper in order the Vegas game is higher.

I think the Vegas Bowl picks first so that factor would give them a higher order.

I knew that but one would think that the bowl payout should be somewhat correlated with prestige.
Ah, I got you.

The LV bowl recently up-jumped itself. It used to be a game with the Mountain West.

When LV got the new stadium for the Raiders, the PAC and Big Ten saw a great opportunity to turn the game into a P5 v P5 matchup in a great city for entertaining and travel.

Who is perceived to have the better traveling fan base? Us or Purdue? I would think it would be us.
Which bowl game was it that Purdue substantially increased their guaranteed ticket purchase so they would be selected instead of us? I think it was during the Mason era.

According to published figures, the Music City does have a higher payout than the Las Vegas Bowl but the sources I saw could be using older figures.

I could care less about the payouts. I'm talking strictly in terms of opponent. I'd rather see the Gophers play Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mississippi State, or Tennessee rather than Arizona State or Washington State again. UCLA would be a good matchup.

Right. Too bad that Iowa has had a Citrus bowl drought. If they had been there recently....I could see the case for putting them in the Outback Bowl. As it stands....one of the New Years day bowls seems unlikely. But you never know. Been a couple of years since the Outback Bowl. Would be nice to advertise our graduating seniors to the Bucs again.

An ironclad rule of the national media is that it will immediately place wisconsin, Purdue or any other tied team ahead of Minnesota in any any all situations like this. Bowls, AP rankings, etc...Minnesota is considered least desirable and always gets served last.

The good thing is that the actual bowl selection committees, CFP rankers, and such are much fairer to the Gophers than the media hacks and these things tend to resolve themselves in our favor.

I could care less about the payouts. I'm talking strictly in terms of opponent. I'd rather see the Gophers play Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mississippi State, or Tennessee rather than Arizona State or Washington State again. UCLA would be a good matchup.

Right. Too bad that Iowa has had a Citrus bowl drought. If they had been there recently....I could see the case for putting them in the Outback Bowl. As it stands....one of the New Years day bowls seems unlikely. But you never know. Been a couple of years since the Outback Bowl. Would be nice to advertise our graduating seniors to the Bucs again.
Yup. And as I mentioned above, the B1G bowl cycle reset in 2019 so technically Minnesota isn't repeating by going there. Conference just needs to put 6 different teams there from 2020 to 2025. Indiana went last year. Gotta think all of Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan, PSU, will be in play the next few years. No problem putting Minnesota there again this year.

Yup. And as I mentioned above, the B1G bowl cycle reset in 2019 so technically Minnesota isn't repeating by going there. Conference just needs to put 6 different teams there from 2020 to 2025. Indiana went last year. Gotta think all of Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan, PSU, will be in play the next few years. No problem putting Minnesota there again this year.

Let's cross our fingers. Texas A&M would be my first preference. Common opponent (Colorado) and Wright would get a shot at his old team. A little bit of a narrative for the talking heads.

So the Vegas Bowl is technically above the Music City Bowl? I still feel like Music City is the more prestigious bowl. Plus you play an SEC opponent rather than Pac-12.
The Las Vegas Bowl made a big investment in moving itself up the "prestige" ladder when Allegiant Stadium opened. Moved the date and locked up a Big 10/Pac 12 match-up in the new stadium. If it's not Florida on New Years Day, I'd take Vegas over Nashville. Lots of flights, lots to do, and plenty of Minnesotans who are always looking for an excuse for a Vegas trip. My guess is we would travel very well for this one.

The Las Vegas Bowl made a big investment in moving itself up the "prestige" ladder when Allegiant Stadium opened. Moved the date and locked up a Big 10/Pac 12 match-up in the new stadium. If it's not Florida on New Years Day, I'd take Vegas over Nashville. Lots of flights, lots to do, and plenty of Minnesotans who are always looking for an excuse for a Vegas trip. My guess is we would travel very well for this one.

Unfortunately....I won't be making the trip either way....so Vegas or Nashville doesn't really matter to me. Honestly....beating Wisconsin wa the most important thing. Either one of those bowls would be a win....considering that yesterday at this time.....a 7-5 season with a trip to the Pinstripe or the Guaranteed Rate Bowl seemed more likely than not. Still would prefer an SEC opponent.

Music City would be a great matchup....Beating an SEC team is always a nice little Cherry on top.... Keep the tradition going (Auburn...Tennessee next?)

I think the Vegas Bowl picks first so that factor would give them a higher order.
The Las Vegas Bowl shares the second selection from the Pac-12 with the Holiday Bowl after the College Football Playoff pick. From the Big Ten, the bowl gets its choice after the CFP, Citrus and Outback selections.

Which bowl game was it that Purdue substantially increased their guaranteed ticket purchase so they would be selected instead of us? I think it was during the Mason era.
That shit Alamo Bowl, which passed us up for lesser teams at least twice if not thrice during the Mason years

That shit Alamo Bowl, which passed us up for lesser teams at least twice if not thrice during the Mason years
Yeah, that’s the one. Stinking Alamo Bowl!

Pro FB Network has MN in Music City vs Tennessee. They have Iowa in citrus, Wisconsin in outback, and Purdue in Vegas by the way.

we've gone through this before.

the bowls are not obligated to follow the standings precisely. In previous years, Gophers got moved down the ladder because of perception that their fans "didn't travel well."

the bowls also like to avoid having the same teams back too often, so sometimes they will take a different team just to get someone new.

bottom line - no guarantee that MN is the #5 team in the pecking order. (or #4 if the B1G has a team in the playoffs.)
This is true, but it's no longer exclusively up to the bowls anymore.

1970s U of M alumnus here, however, I have been living in Las Vegas for 30 years now so you know which bowl I am hoping for(since CFP and Rose Bowl are out).
I have LV Raiders season tickets and Allegiant Stadium is beautiful (coincidentally built by Mortenson Construction Company). You won't be at all disappointed and can also partake in Las Vegas' New Years celebration. Only downside is it will be more expensive than Nashville.

It would be more fun to go to Vegas but the Pac 12 doesn't do much for me.

Playing a program with the history of Tennessee would be more intriguing.

Tough call. Maybe we catch a break and get back to Outback, but I feel like the national media will still be more enamored with Wisconsin.
I would like to see Gophers vs PAC 10 because PAC 10 teams are not built to stop the Gophers running attack

1970s U of M alumnus here, however, I have been living in Las Vegas for 30 years now so you know which bowl I am hoping for(since CFP and Rose Bowl are out).
I have LV Raiders season tickets and Allegiant Stadium is beautiful (coincidentally built by Mortenson Construction Company). You won't be at all disappointed and can also partake in Las Vegas' New Years celebration. Only downside is it will be more expensive.
If I remember correctly the NFL stadium is walking distance from the airport side of highway the strip. Kind of close to Park MGM…?

If I remember correctly the NFL stadium is walking distance from the airport side of highway the strip. Kind of close to Park MGM…?
Actually, directly across the bridge over the freeway from Mandalay Bay. They have been closing off the bridge to make it pedestrian only on special events days. ParkMGM would be a good 1.5 mile walk, however.

Top Bottom