Transfer Portal

Sweet. Good looking athlete, and if there's a position I trust Fleck to recruit it's WR. Burns has been saying for a couple weeks that MN would look to add an impact WR in the portal. I definitely agree with the need. They need a long guy to stretch the field at X. I don't see Joiner running a lot of deep stuff in these highlights, but he looks really smooth.
If PJ is to be trusted to recruit WR, why are we looking for a grad transfer WR after 4 years of recruiting that position? Yes he got Rashad to play here, but outside of him what other impact WR has there been?

If PJ is to be trusted to recruit WR, why are we looking for a grad transfer WR after 4 years of recruiting that position? Yes he got Rashad to play here, but outside of him what other impact WR has there been?
Joyner isn’t a grad transfer for one. You don’t think CAB is an impact wr? Most of his wr recruits are either very young or have left the program. Not sure how many impact wrs you are supposed to have when you start with Johnson, then add Bateman right away, and you mainly throw it to just those two guys.

It does seem odd they offer WR grad transfer unless Fleck knows of one or more underclassmen that aren't returning, and maybe the three redshirt seniors have indicated they won't be taking advantage of the covid year waiver.

I don’t know anything about him, but I don’t think I take a transfer unless I think he can make an impact.

being a good #2 or #3 wideout would qualify as making an impact

We do need an experienced third wide out. Demetrious Douglas left the team, and Tyler Johnson graduated creating a void. We need that extra third legitimate threat that will stretch Defenses thin.

IMHO, the Gophers need to sign a 4-Star WR in every class. They did not in 2021.

The Gophers signed Lemeke Brockington (0.8721), Brady Boyd (0.8593), Dino Kaliakmanis (0.8558), amd Dylan McGill (ATH/WR 0.8443). I think Dino was included to cement his brother Athan's commitment. Unless PJ Fleck and his staff consider one or more of these WRs as late blooming or under recruited hidden gems, they are developmental guys. I believe Rashod Bateman was a 3-Star when he committed early to the Gophers. His rating shot up to a 4-Star after he got noticed. By then, he already had Gopher tattoos.

Last edited:

We do need an experienced third wide out. Demetrious Douglas leave the team, and Tyler Johnson graduated creating a void. We need that extra third legitimate threat that will stretch Defenses thin.

IMHO, the Gophers need to sign a 4-Star WR in every class. They did not in 2021.

The Gophers signed Lemeke Brockington (0.8721), Brady Boyd (0.8593), Dino Kaliakmanis (0.8558), amd Dylan McGill (ATH/WR 0.8443). I think Dino was included to cement his brother Athan's commitment. Unless PJ Fleck and his staff consider one or more of these WRs as late blooming hidden gems, they are developmental guys. I believe Rashod Bateman was a 3-Star when he committed early to the Gophers. His shot up to a 4-Star after he got noticed.
Signing a four star wr every class is certainly not a necessity. How often do Wisconsin, Iowa, and NW sign four star wrs? Brockington should bring a speed element to help stretch defenses.

Hey! You can't ask that question here. Come on...the first year doesn't count. Then Covid arrived and other stuff was in the middle. Wait til next year...
It is strange though...he and Simon have developed Corey Davis, didn't recruit Johnson but developed him, Bateman is a First Round talent on many boards and Bell is solid but sure seems with that legacy we'd have guys who could play begging to join and become even better?
We don't though.

Hey! You can't ask that question here. Come on...the first year doesn't count. Then Covid arrived and other stuff was in the middle. Wait til next year...
It is strange though...he and Simon have developed Corey Davis, didn't recruit Johnson but developed him, Bateman is a First Round talent on many boards and Bell is solid but sure seems with that legacy we'd have guys who could play begging to join and become even better?
We don't though.
A four star wr in two of the last four classes seems pretty good to me, especially when our area of the country rarely produces four star wrs.

A four star wr in two of the last four classes seems pretty good to me, especially when our area of the country rarely produces four star wrs.
The stars don't really matter to me. Are they an impact player? The Clemson and Alabama four stars start as freshmen and the country talks about them. Our 4 stars have not done much at most any position or even a couple years in...often they don't play. Bateman is the exception at any position.

The stars don't really matter to me. Are they an impact player? The Clemson and Alabama four stars start as freshmen and the country talks about them. Our 4 stars have not done much at most any position or even a couple years in...often they don't play. Bateman is the exception at any position.
What are you talking about? Fleck has landed five four stars prior to this year. Bateman, Dunlap, Faalele, Jackson, and Brown. They all have done plenty other than Brown who redshirted. Of course Bama and Clemsons guys start as freshmen, they get the best players in the country and have guys leaving for the pros.

this is largely untrue. Using 247

2018: Bateman, Dunlap, Faalele; all will be multiyear starters and Bateman a major impact player and would also argue the other two have had huge impact
2019: no consensus 4 stars
2020: Daniel Jackson; started after Bateman opted out as a FR and had 12 catches for 167 yards coming mostly after Bateman opted out; Other one is Itayvion Brown who did not play

We haven't had that many consensus 4 stars sign to this point and those that have had by and large contributed

Edit: I see this has been addressed. Sorry for piling on.

247 says Nebraska offered him. That automatically bumps him up a star or two.

First off, a very low percentage of true freshman start for Alabama. Secondly, Alabama gets 20+ 4 and 5 star recruits every class so yes their 4 and 5 star recruits make an impact because all their recruits are 4 and 5 stars. They also swing and miss on many highly rated recruits but they get so many that you don't really notice it.
Also is it fair to compare us to Clemson and Alabama. Like no $hit they have "impact players" they're the top 2 teams in the country.

We do need an experienced third wide out. Demetrious Douglas leave the team, and Tyler Johnson graduated creating a void. We need that extra third legitimate threat that will stretch Defenses thin.

The Gophers signed Lemeke Brockington (0.8721), Brady Boyd (0.8593), Dino Kaliakmanis (0.8558), amd Dylan McGill (ATH/WR 0.8443). I think Dino was included to cement his brother Athan's commitment. Unless PJ Fleck and his staff consider one or more of these WRs as late blooming hidden gems, they are developmental guys. I believe Rashod Bateman was a 3-Star when he committed early to the Gophers. His shot up to a 4-Star after he got noticed.
Bolded: rumors are there's one from TCU ..... guessing he might have more loyalty and drive to do well here than some kid from Arizona. But that's just a wild guess.

Signing a four star wr every class is certainly not a necessity.
Don’t take this personally, but I’m sure glad you are not in charge of recruiting. If we can get a 4-star receiver every class we should take it. When you factor in that we have 3 receivers on the field most of the time, injuries, players leaving early and players that you “miss” on, at least one four star every class should be a requirement.

I trust him to identify the talent, not get every recruit to attend MN.

PJ Fleck said early on that he is constantly out recruiting current players.

Jamare's 2018 247SPorts Profile:

Current 2020 Wide Receiver Roster Minus Rashod Bateman:
Are the Gophers Coaching Staff not confident that they have enough help with the current roster of receivers?

View attachment 10953

I am hoping Daniel Jackson is going to make a 4-Star impact like Rashod Bateman did.

Incoming Class of 2021 Wide Receivers:

They have four incoming Wide Receivers in the 2021 Class. On paper, they look like developmental guys. Who knows.

View attachment 10954

247 Sports Ranking:

Man Bateman made a 5 star impact and is probably the best WR the U has had. I don't think we can expect that often. Depth and having 3 capable WR's plus using some of our TE will still allow our passing attack to keep defenses honest and not load the box against our run. Hopefully we get that. We have 2 WR's in Jackson and CAB.

Don’t take this personally, but I’m sure glad you are not in charge of recruiting. If we can get a 4-star receiver every class we should take it. When you factor in that we have 3 receivers on the field most of the time, injuries, players leaving early and players that you “miss” on, at least one four star every class should be a requirement.
If it were only that easy!

I didn’t say I wouldn’t take it. My point is it isn’t a necessity for us to win a lot of games. Saying it should be a requirement is silly, might as well say recruiting a 5 star qb every couple years should be required.

Bolded: rumors are there's one from TCU ..... guessing he might have more loyalty and drive to do well here than some kid from Arizona. But that's just a wild guess.
I’ll take the guy with multiple years over one year from JD, loyalty doesn’t really factor in when he only has a year to play. I’m sure the Zona kid has drive to do well anywhere, he’s leaving his home state team for more opportunity to succeed.

You must've loved our previous coaches who got all low 3 star and 2 star WR's then.

Former QB. He had a good 2019 (34 - 552 yards - 5 TDs).
Forget about being an impact WR; if he can be an above average KR and PR, they should be jumping at the chance to add him to the roster. Two areas of major need right now that sure seem to be overlooked way, way too often

Wonder why it didn't work out for him at A&M ?

Top Bottom