Transfer Portal

"Denied admission" :rolleyes:

It's a huge public school. They can get anyone in they want.

That's just an official way of making things not work out, when the coach and/or player didn't want them to.
Caleb Ford Dement was on the Thorpe award preseason watch list coming into the year, a watchlist that neither St Juste nor Durr, were included on and those two guys were coming off pretty good years both being named honorable mention All Big Ten. Also Georgia offered him immediately after he decomitted from UCLA and he also has several other P5 offers since he entered the portal.

Highly unlikely UCLA didn’t want him. Athletes get denied admissions all the time at large public universities, I don’t know why that’s not a good enough explanation for you.

Caleb Ford Dement was on the Thorpe award preseason watch list coming into the year, a watchlist that neither St Juste nor Durr, were included on and those two guys were coming off pretty good years both being named honorable mention All Big Ten. Also Georgia offered him immediately after he decomitted from UCLA and he also has several other P5 offers since he entered the portal.

Highly unlikely UCLA didn’t want him. Athletes get denied admissions all the time at large public universities, I don’t know why that’s not a good enough explanation for you.
you know exactly why

From the UCLA website

It's not enough to simply learn—you will progress, discover, impact and influence. We're looking for game changers, movers and shakers.

Our average GPA for accepted transfer applicants is 3.70; additionally, strong academic preparation and completion of preparatory coursework toward your major is essential. This all adds up to the fact that you'll be studying alongside the best and brightest. If you're accepted, it's where you're meant to be.

A minimum of 3.2 GPA and none of the required courses can be waived.

He can't play school at UCLA? All kidding aside, UCLA is a tough school to get into even for athletes.

I gather that since PJ Fleck offered that in all likelihood that he will be able to get admitted to the U. So, it's just a question of whether he wants to.

The one person that I wished that have been able to play for the Gophers was Jeff Jones. Didn't Jerry Kill get him a conditional admission? From what I heard, it was far too late in HS to give him the help that he needed academically.

Last edited:

He can't play school at UCLA? All kidding aside, UCLA is a tough school to get into even for athletes.

I gather that since PJ Fleck offered that in all likelihood that he will be able to get admitted to the U. So, it's just a question of whether he wants to.

The one person that I wished that have been able to play for the Gophers was Jeff Jones. Didn't Jerry Kill get him a conditional admission? From what I heard, it was far too late in HS to give him the help that he needed academically.
Jeff actually did end up playing in a few games for us.

We've been screaming for a competitive Gopher roster for years. The depth is not there yet on certain positions, but man what a change under Fleck. It appears the he is up front with his players on their one on ones, but supportive. When you are out-recruited and you want playing time, you move on to a different program..
PJ is the best coach Minnesota has ever had. If one disagrees then you may be a cheesehead.
Ya, he is going on year 5 and he has already been to two bowl games.

Ya, he is going on year 5 and he has already been to two bowl games.

He's gone to bowl games in two out of three non-COVID seasons. And if I remember correctly they may in fact have been eligible to go bowling last season, but they had announced in advance that they wouldn't accept a bid because of COVID.

Saw MN is in on a WR transfer from Georgia and a CB from Texas Tech.

Andy Greder tweeted

Check-in: The #Gophers football program is in the mix for Georgia transfer receiver Tommy Bush and Texas Tech transfer cornerback Dequanteous Watts. Minnesota has been hitting the portal hard this offseason; we’ll see if they can reel more players in.

Saw MN is in on a WR transfer from Georgia and a CB from Texas Tech.

Andy Greder tweeted

Check-in: The #Gophers football program is in the mix for Georgia transfer receiver Tommy Bush and Texas Tech transfer cornerback Dequanteous Watts. Minnesota has been hitting the portal hard this offseason; we’ll see if they can reel more players in.

Both look to be young guys who would have multiple years of eligibility left, so not quick fix types.

Wait one time transfers for .... this year? Approved after the Final Four?

What good is allowing transfers that late?
Not sure what you are getting at. This is the one time blanket waiver that people have been waiting on that would make Wright and Shaw eligible for the 2021 season even though they are not grad transfers.

Where this could get real interesting is on the basketball side. Assuming the coaching change happens then the new coach could bring in any transfer they wanted and have them be immediately eligible.

ncaa football hasn’t seen anything this big since the 1991 scholarship adjustment that allowed the badgers and app states of the world to rise. PJ is the perfect coach for this new dawn.

ncaa football hasn’t seen anything this big since the 1991 scholarship adjustment that allowed the badgers and app states of the world to rise. PJ is the perfect coach for this new dawn.
Please explain why you feel this about Fleck?

He's gone to bowl games in two out of three non-COVID seasons. And if I remember correctly they may in fact have been eligible to go bowling last season, but they had announced in advance that they wouldn't accept a bid because of COVID.
It sounds like he opted to have his players go home to their families instead. He is worried about their psychological well-being.

It sounds like he opted to have his players go home to their families instead. He is worried about their psychological well-being.
Given how the season went, he might have been more worried about a bowl game blowout and what that could do to national perception of the program. JMO

Yeah it felt like there was a plateau and ... some of it was self imposed (coaching...).

Maybe and let's hope even better things things are on the way, but let's not forget who recruited the Gophers making waves in the NFL.

Given how the season went, he might have been more worried about a bowl game blowout and what that could do to national perception of the program. JMO

Umm....the Gophers weren't declining an invite to the CFP.

Oh come on.....you can't honestly believe that was the reason. The bowl game would have been against another .500 level team that we almost certainly could have competed with just fine. We were 2-1 in our final 3 games and playing decent football.

It had been a long crazy year, we dealt with a ton of COVID issues and I am sure everyone was just ready to be done with the season. There was very little to be gained in playing a bowl game in front of an empty stadium when the players would not be able to enjoy the typical bowl experience.

A lower level bowl game would have given the team about an extra week of practice. I think being home with their families, was far more of a benefit, than an extra week of practice.

Yeah, it was a crappy year. The staff did the right thing. I believe they said the team voted on it.

Wait one time transfers for .... this year? Approved after the Final Four?

What good is allowing transfers that late?
This is for players who have either already transferd this school year or are planning to do so after this current semester (so enroll either this coming summer or this fall), to be eligible to play right away in the coming school year (2021-22).

Then starting with the 2021-22 school year, players who transfer for the first time won't even need a waiver. It will just be in the rules that you get one "free" transfer.

Already is that way for most sports, actually. I believe just a few sports you have to sit out (football, men's and women's basketball, not sure on others?)

Maybe and let's hope even better things things are on the way, but let's not forget who recruited the Gophers making waves in the NFL.
Carter Coughlin. And be real, had players of that caliber not been from MN, they wouldn't have given Jerry Kill the time of day. No way does Kill recruit someone like Winfield here if Winfield didn't already have ties here.

Top Bottom