Transfer Portal

You’d think that St Thomas could load up on transfers this year.
I mean it's Pioneer League, but yeah you do get an autobid to the FCS playoff. Maybe with the right crew they can win a game or two, before losing to the handful of schools on the Dakotas' level.

They’re going D1 with no scholarships?
Pioneer League is essentially DIII football, embedded into the FCS.

There is a specific history behind it: the rules used to allow DI basketball schools to play DIII football. Dayton in particular was very good at this. So the DIII schools kicked them out. The current Pioneer League is all the schools that did this, that were then forced to move "DI" in football. Their league rules are set-up so that they can continue at a DIII level of play with no "official" scholarships. FCS has no minimum requirements.

That said, if you think football players at St Thomas will pay full price -- or did in the MIAC -- you don't know how it works ...

That said, if you think football players at St Thomas will pay full price -- or did in the MIAC -- you don't know how it works ...
Nobody pays full price. That’s the gimmick. And everyone is paying. They may relax admission standards, but if you think they are giving people full ride scholarships wink wink, you are mistaken.

I am worried that I will see a Gopher QB on this list in the near future. Are my concerns warranted?
Signed,
Nervous in the North

It would not shock me to see some movement from the backup QBs.

Nobody pays full price. That’s the gimmick. And everyone is paying. They may relax admission standards, but if you think they are giving people full ride scholarships wink wink, you are mistaken.
I truly would not be surprised if they found enough "academic leadership scholarships" for top players to have to pay a minimal amount, if that.

I am worried that I will see a Gopher QB on this list in the near future. Are my concerns warranted?
Signed,
Nervous in the North
The only guy that would be a bummer to lose is Clark. Hasn't been given a chance yet.

If Morgan tanks next year (thanks Sanford), he might still get a shot. Or maybe they've already promised the keys to Athlan to get him to sign. Who knows

Last edited:

The only guy that would be a bummer to lose is Clark. Hasn't been given a chance yet.

If Morgan tanks next year (thanks Sanford), he might still get a shot. Or maybe they've already promised the keys to Dino to get him to sign. Who knows
i hope not since Dino isn't a QB

They give grants. You play football, grant. Academic, grant. Play an instrument, grant. Had a relative go to the school, grant. etc. etc. I know non athletes that have received enough in grants to make going to an MIAC school less than the UofM.

If Morgan tanks next year (thanks Sanford), he might still get a shot. Or maybe they've already promised the keys to Dino to get him to sign. Who knows
Clark played last year. How are they suppose to give more chances when Morgan is the starter and never gets hurt? There is no reason to play anyone else. When Morgan leaves, the next best will step into the starting spot. Some may eliminate themselves from the equation by transferring. We will see. Some of these guys will graduate before their junior years with the way the eligibility has changed due to COVID. That will affect a lot of decisions.

Nobody pays full price should be the motto on the crest of every private school in Minnesota. From my experience, as a bad student, I was offered like $14,500 in financial aid from multiple private schools, despite my parents having the means to pay for my school. I know people from lower income situations who were paying 25% of the total cost.

Some people may pay $40k, but the majority are not.

Nobody pays full price should be the motto on the crest of every private school in Minnesota. From my experience, as a bad student, I was offered like $14,500 in financial aid from multiple private schools, despite my parents having the means to pay for my school. I know people from lower income situations who were paying 25% of the total cost.

Yeah, then they often reduce financial aid after year 1. This is incredibly common for law schools too. They'll offer 50% of the class essentially 75% scholarship for the first year.

This is actually also the enormous advantage that partial athletic scholarships have for FCS schools too. Many D1 athletes would qualify for a significant amount of financial aid due to their economic background. So every student goes through FAFSA and after the initial aid, NDSU is able to sort of piece together a ton of scholarships. Because of financial aid, the FCS schools can really make those scholarships go a long way while keeping costs for the athletes at a minimum.

Clark played last year. How are they suppose to give more chances when Morgan is the starter and never gets hurt? There is no reason to play anyone else. When Morgan leaves, the next best will step into the starting spot. Some may eliminate themselves from the equation by transferring. We will see. Some of these guys will graduate before their junior years with the way the eligibility has changed due to COVID. That will affect a lot of decisions.
I didn't say Clark should've been given a chance to start by now. Just that he hasn't had his chance, yet.

Unless Morgan falls over a cliff next year, it still won't happen, I guess.

Rich, private school kids.

I was wondering why Coan didn't go in to the game yesterday. I just assumed he wasn't ready physically. Given how poorly Mertz played this season, I am shocked he's leaving but if he was healthy and never got put back out there this year I certainly see why. Doesn't seem like Wisconsin treated him very well as a guy who just won them the West the previous year? Odd situation from the outside looking in.

I hope the Gophers can find a really good WR in the portal this offseason. If Jackson can stay as the 3rd option and CAB as the 1 or 2 (depending on how good the transfer is) that would get us back close to Bateman/Johnson/Douglas trio of 2019. 2nd on the wishlist would be another CB and following that more Dline help as almost every program in the nation could use that. Strangely starting to feel OK about LB with Gordon/Willis looking the part late, Oliver coming back off injury, and already having Gibbens coming in as a transfer. For a team that plays a lot with only 2 LB's on the field I think we should be able to improve significantly there in 2021.

I heard JD Speilman is available. Someone should start a thread.

If Morgan tanks next year (thanks Sanford), he might still get a shot. Or maybe they've already promised the keys to Athlan to get him to sign. Who knows

Ryan Burns said on a pod a couple weeks ago that Kramer may be ahead of Clark.

Ryan Burns said on a pod a couple weeks ago that Kramer may be ahead of Clark.
Fair enough, and would seem perhaps to fit the mold of a bit shorter, more athletic that Fleck has won with so far as opposed to the tall, lanky, Tom Brady type.

They give grants. You play football, grant. Academic, grant. Play an instrument, grant. Had a relative go to the school, grant. etc. etc. I know non athletes that have received enough in grants to make going to an MIAC school less than the UofM.
For most normal decent student it usually equates to being similar to Madison or UMN instate tuition.

If you’re bad academically you pay more but are likely coming from money.

If you’re low income your going free essentially.

That’s pretty standard across the MIAC.

Kramer and Annexstad are the two I think are most likely to leave. If Annexstad isn't a clear #2 (or unseats morgan for starter) after spring, he risks losing the spot his senior year and being backup again, but maybe he is ok with only playing his senior year. I think Kramer is probably 4th on the depth chart but we won't know until after spring and I know there was debate about it, but regardless with a 4 star qb coming in, I thinking qb 4 after spring transfers.

Kramer and Annexstad are the two I think are most likely to leave. If Annexstad isn't a clear #2 (or unseats morgan for starter) after spring, he risks losing the spot his senior year and being backup again, but maybe he is ok with only playing his senior year. I think Kramer is probably 4th on the depth chart but we won't know until after spring and I know there was debate about it, but regardless with a 4 star qb coming in, I thinking qb 4 after spring transfers.
Would make sense if they think they’re going to go somewhere and play.

Also possible they would rather be QB4 at Mn than QB1 and MN duluth

also possible they’d rather be QB4 at MN than in a competition at Kent state

Depends on the kid.

Would make sense if they think they’re going to go somewhere and play.

Also possible they would rather be QB4 at Mn than QB1 and MN duluth

also possible they’d rather be QB4 at MN than in a competition at Kent state

Depends on the kid.
If I’m not mistaken this year does not count against their eligibility do next fall Clark will again be a RS-Fr! Crazy- he’ll be starting his 4th year here but have 3 years of eligibility left.

Northwestern has 3 players entering the potral:

RB Isaiah Bowser GTR
WR Malik Washington SO
DB Gunnar Maldonado FR
Joined by starting DE leading sack getter Leotta, and an experienced wr McGowan. Also junior cb Greg Newsome II is declaring for the draft.

If I’m not mistaken this year does not count against their eligibility do next fall Clark will again be a RS-Fr! Crazy- he’ll be starting his 4th year here but have 3 years of eligibility left.
Starting his 3rd year and 3 years of eligibility left after the season.

He could be Dr. Clark by the time he's done here.

Don’t think guys entering the portal from G5/P5 schools are looking at an expensive private school without scholarships
I’m guessing St Thomas will find a way to make it work Financially for any transfer. I drive by one of their big booster’s complex in Nisswa every day.

Clark must not be that good, he came from Texas and had a lot of yards and he is behind a bunch of guys that did not have a lot of yards in HS.

Clark must not be that good, he came from Texas and had a lot of yards and he is behind a bunch of guys that did not have a lot of yards in HS.
For sure. Yards in high school are the biggest determinant of who can play at the next level.

that’s why 9 man running backs all go d1

Not

Top Bottom