Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Long time viewer, first time poster.

Wanted to give some context to the Gach conversation and his lack of recruitment from the U out of high school. (I am from Austin). He was an absolute superstar in high school. He and his twin brother were stand outs, both incredibly athletic, very skilled but rail thin at that age (freshman-junior years).

Both was pretty clearly a level or two better than his brother but the two together were lethal. If you get the chance to google them, they put on a show at Target Center his junior year against a very good Marshall team. Throwing fast break alley oops off the back board in transition, it was something.

As for the “character issues” this would be news to me and anyone in Austin. They did however, have widely known academic issues. Two different things. Neither was going to academically qualify as was. Thus, Both made the difficult decision to leave Austin and go to prep school in AZ. That allowed him the opportunity to get proper nutrition, weight room, etc. He also was able to get his grades right. Was widely considered a mid-major kid if he could quality but bulked up substantially in AZ. At that time, some P5 interest started to come and landed at Utah.

As for AAU, he was largely under the radar. Austin is two hours from the Twin Cities and his family had very limited resources. He had bounced around on some elite teams but clearly had some disadvantages out of his own control.

In Austin, many of the athletes do not have access to proper nutrition, etc. Fads (Head Coach) would keep a loaf of bread and peanut butter in his office just so they would have something to eat.

Anyway... I saw him last summer and he was huge, physically imposing, legit 6 foot 6 and thick. He’s matured into a man. I get the sense he would like to come back and being close to his family that still resides in Austin.

Wanted to give some context to the Gach conversation and his lack of recruitment from the U out of high school. (I am from Austin). He was an absolute superstar in high school. He and his twin brother were stand outs, both incredibly athletic, very skilled but rail thin at that age (freshman-junior years).

Both was pretty clearly a level or two better than his brother but the two together were lethal. If you get the chance to google them, they put on a show at Target Center his junior year against a very good Marshall team. Throwing fast break alley oops off the back board in transition, it was something.

As for the “character issues” this would be news to me and anyone in Austin. They did however, have widely known academic issues. Two different things. Neither was going to academically qualify as was. Thus, Both made the difficult decision to leave Austin and go to prep school in AZ. That allowed him the opportunity to get proper nutrition, weight room, etc. He also was able to get his grades right. Was widely considered a mid-major kid if he could quality but bulked up substantially in AZ.

In Austin, many of the athletes do not have access to proper nutrition, etc. Fads (Head Coach) would keep a loaf of bread and peanut butter in his office just so they would have something to eat.

Anyway... I saw him last summer and he was huge, physically imposing, legit 6 foot 6 and thick. He’s matured into a man. I get the sense he would like to come back and being close to his family that still resides in Austin.

Good call, I meant academic issues which are not always indicative of good or bad character.

As for the “character issues” this would be news to me and anyone in Austin. They did however, have widely known academic issues. Two different things. Neither was going to academically qualify as was. Thus, Both made the difficult decision to leave Austin and go to prep school in AZ. That allowed him the opportunity to get proper nutrition, weight room, etc. He also was able to get his grades right. Was widely considered a mid-major kid if he could quality but bulked up substantially in AZ. At that time, some P5 interest started to come and landed at Utah.

As for AAU, he was largely under the radar. Austin is two hours from the Twin Cities and his family had very limited resources. He had bounced around on some elite teams but clearly had some disadvantages out of his own control.

Welcome to GopherHole, thanks for posting and very helpful background.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Excited to join the board, though I fear it won’t be good for my marriage.

For additional context, there has been a lot of talk on Utah sites about his cold streak last season from 3 when he missed 20+ threes in a row. For what it’s worth, I would classify him as a very good three point shooter as a prep. I get it’s a different deal in P5 but that slump was more confidence and system fit related than skill set imho.

Additionally, it is believed he would like to continue to develop his skill set as a PG. (He believes that his position as a pro for what that’s worth). He played both guard spots in high school and was considered a combo guard coming out of prep school. Utah slid him more and more into a wing and took away PG responsibilities. Not sure we have the need for him in PG minutes outside of a handful when Carr sits.

As many of you know RJ is from Austin and still has family there so I’d guess he will be in the loop on that as it develops.

In Austin, many of the athletes do not have access to proper nutrition, etc.

What spam isnt nutritional? Kidding aside I loved you post but I didnt get this statement. Austin isnt a 3rd world country. How is proper nutrition different in austin than anywhere else in minnesota?

Agreed. I should have been more specific...

I’m referring to the unfortunate realities surrounding the financial challenges with Sudanese kids in Austin face. They often times do not have the financial resources to get proper nutrition at home. I didn’t want to dive into the details.

Great kid, coachable, etc by all accounts.

The point being, he went from limited nutrition due to financial status to P5 meal table, nutritionists, etc.

My guess would be his natural physical maturity matched with the above reference has resulted in his incredible transformation physically. He literally probably put on 50 pounds of muscle and has not lost athletic ability.

What spam isnt nutritional? Kidding aside I loved you post but I didnt get this statement. Austin isnt a 3rd world country. How is proper nutrition different in austin than anywhere else in minnesota?

Did you not read the article Chip Scoggins wrote about Austin this winter? Lays it all out. Lots of refugee families struggling to put food on the table

As a prep his skill was NEVER in question. He was considered a mid major type of kid because he was sooo thin mostly. Compound that with the academic challenges and he just wasn’t close to a take for the U at the time (rightfully so). Today I would think he has to be.

Did you not read the article Chip Scoggins wrote about Austin this winter? Lays it all out. Lots of refugee families struggling to put food on the table
I didnt. I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know.

Played against Austin this summer at Pitino camp or some other summer team deal their kids play hard and with passion. Always thought Austin and Marshall played hard when I saw these teams from time to time.

I would have to think Gach’s chances of getting a waiver are fairly high all things considered (never say never with NCAA).

I am probably biased but I’d rather have Gach than Peterson. Can play 1-3, more athletic and stronger. Hopefully it all works out in end.

I would have to think Gach’s chances of getting a waiver are fairly high all things considered (never say never with NCAA).

I am probably biased but I’d rather have Gach than Peterson. Can play 1-3, more athletic and stronger. Hopefully it all works out in end.
Thanks for sharing. I am not as high on him as you are. He is not very efficient.

Thanks for sharing. I am not as high on him as you are. He is not very efficient.

The efficiency worries me a bit as well - at his best, he's a capable 12-15 point per game guy but he had like an eight game stretch last year where he was brutal. Wasn't due to minutes and I will not buy that the system or coach was the crux of the issue. It wasn't when he was doing well. I get that guys go through slumps, but it was like a month-long draught.

At this point in the process, any transfer the Gophers - or anybody - get is going to be flawed. Is Gach going to be an all-league guy? probably not. But at his best, he's a 30 mpg guy who can score - that's better than just about anybody at this point. He'd be a solid piece here - no doubt about that.

Understand his efficiency ratings weren’t great at Utah. I do think he would fit very well in a rotation with the opportunity to play on the floor with Carr/Gabe/Mash or some combination thereof. Based on fit and complimentary skill set.

I don’t think he would be an ideal fit for your UW squad thou... for a variety of reasons... I’ll leave it at that...

As for fellow GOPHER fans. If we could land Gach that would give us tremendous flexibility to use the last schollie for best available.

The efficiency worries me a bit as well - at his best, he's a capable 12-15 point per game guy but he had like an eight game stretch last year where he was brutal. Wasn't due to minutes and I will not buy that the system or coach was the crux of the issue. It wasn't when he was doing well. I get that guys go through slumps, but it was like a month-long draught.

No doubt the slump was brutal. I’m not suggesting it was coach fault. I’m saying the shooting woes were confidence related.

At his worst, he struggled, conversely at his best he was there second best player.

I don’t think he’s an all league guy. I do believe he is a rotation guy for sure. If you can get a rotation guy with position flexibility that should be immediately eligible, that’s a take without a doubt at this stage.

Understand his efficiency ratings weren’t great at Utah. I do think he would fit very well in a rotation with the opportunity to play on the floor with Carr/Gabe/Mash or some combination thereof. Based on fit and complimentary skill set.

I don’t think he would be an ideal fit for your UW squad thou... for a variety of reasons... I’ll leave it at that...

As for fellow GOPHER fans. If we could land Gach that would give us tremendous flexibility to use the last schollie for best available.
UW is not my squad but they would not recruit him. Are the Gophers looking at him ? I grade him low on court sense, pace awareness, ball security, shot selection. He does not make others better. Again, just my opinion.

For what it’s worth, Gach is projected as a late 2nd round pick in the 2021 draft by Nbadraft.net

Is the player at Utah all he’s capable of being is a question? Shot selection surely can be improved on by coaching. I like the athleticism. If he’s a good kid who works hard if he’s immediately eligible might be a decent risk to take.

Is the player at Utah all he’s capable of being is a question? Shot selection surely can be improved on by coaching. I like the athleticism. If he’s a good kid who works hard if he’s immediately eligible might be a decent risk to take.
Do you think he will get better coaching here then Utah ? There is a chance he improves.

He averaged 30 minutes a game and was 2nd leading scorer at a P5 school. (A team that nearly ran us out of the building). I realize Utah wasn’t great and the PAC 12 is down but it’s May and we have two open schollies.

Can’t believe this is even a conversation.
There is a ton to consider on both sides. I am confident that Pitino will make the best decision.

I think coaches are a push. Both have two tourney appearances and fairly mediocre runs. Big Ten has been tougher conference clearly of late. LK has had more stability from a W-L perspective. Both are decent talent developers.

Clearly we know builts opinion.

I would like to be clear: I don’t think Gach is flawless. But... he’s easily the most known commodity in the market that is likely to have serious interest.

Starters are pretty well set. At this point you’re looking for good rotation guys that can give you 15-20 minutes a night.

It’s not like this is some kid who played a directional school or was a 8th or 9th kid at a P5 school...

Was trying to find the link to the Hurt vs Gach highlights from high school. Couldn’t find them but found this gem.

Gives you a feel for the athleticism component.

Enjoyed reading the back and forth RTB-87 and builtbadgers. A question for each of you

RTB-87: Do you have any idea what Both is looking for? I'd be concerned that he's looking for a bigger role than he had at Utah which I don't think he'd have here. He'd be behind Carr and Robbins (if eligible) for shots and likely Kalscheur as well. He'd be competing with Johnson, and Mashburn Jr to be that 3rd or 4th option on the offensive end which could result in fewer shots than he was getting at Utah. For a kid that entered the NBA draft this offseason, that might be a problem.

builtbadgers: I understand you don't care for Both as a player, but who do you like that is available now to come in and play immediately? I feel like the efficiency concerns are justified, but there are only so many guys available in May and the alternative on the roster right now is Tre Williams.

Enjoyed reading the back and forth RTB-87 and builtbadgers. A question for each of you

RTB-87: Do you have any idea what Both is looking for? I'd be concerned that he's looking for a bigger role than he had at Utah which I don't think he'd have here. He'd be behind Carr and Robbins (if eligible) for shots and likely Kalscheur as well. He'd be competing with Johnson, and Mashburn Jr to be that 3rd or 4th option on the offensive end which could result in fewer shots than he was getting at Utah. For a kid that entered the NBA draft this offseason, that might be a problem.

builtbadgers: I understand you don't care for Both as a player, but who do you like that is available now to come in and play immediately? I feel like the efficiency concerns are justified, but there are only so many guys available in May and the alternative on the roster right now is Tre Williams.
Great point about what is available and we are in a tough spot because the best thing is a 4-5 year player but Pitino needs help now.

Top Bottom