Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

He averaged 30 minutes a game and was 2nd leading scorer at a P5 school. (A team that nearly ran us out of the building). I realize Utah wasn’t great and the PAC 12 is down but it’s May and we have two open schollies.

Can’t believe this is even a conversation.

I would want him. But to say Utah nearly ran us out of the building is absurd. We lost by 4.

I would want him. But to say Utah nearly ran us out of the building is absurd. We lost by 4.

Key being NEARLY. The lead was I believe 18 at one point? NEARLY references the fact that one more run takes place and we could have got run.
Anybody that watched that game would have thought down big “this is going to get away”.

Semantics, idea is Utah dominated the game. He was their 2nd best player and we had people on this site saying he could at best play 12 minutes for us. You get the idea...

I hope we get him but I dont think he will be one of our top 3 players next year.
Who would you say is over him? Gabe is just as inconsistent and def less of a playmaker & other than Carr and maybe Robbins I dont see another player on the roster who has a case for being definitively better

Key being NEARLY. The lead was I believe 18 at one point? NEARLY references the fact that one more run takes place and we could have got run.
Anybody that watched that game would have thought down big “this is going to get away”.

Semantics, idea is Utah dominated the game. He was their 2nd best player and we had people on this site saying he could at best play 12 minutes for us. You get the idea...

I would never call a game dominated where it was a 6 point game at halftime and pretty much a 6 point game the whole second half.

You could say one more run by Minnesota and they win the game. Gach is solid but I am not going to trust your analysis

I would never call a game dominated where it was a 6 point game at halftime and pretty much a 6 point game the whole second half.

You could say one more run by Minnesota and they win the game. Gach is solid but I am not going to trust your analysis

Well this seems productive.

Seems per the Tweets above that Pitino & staff's analysis are that he could help us.

Who would you say is over him? Gabe is just as inconsistent and def less of a playmaker & other than Carr and maybe Robbins I dont see another player on the roster who has a case for being definitively better
Carr, gabe(combining his d), robbins, johnson, and possibly ihnen(expecting a big jump from him).
This is obviously my opinion. I want Gach on our team but I just dont think he is top 3. Some nights maybe but overall I dont think so.

So let’s just hypothetically say we land Gach. Assuming he’s eligible immediately..What would be the ideal last schollie?

I’d say a knock down shooter or an immediately eligible big that can play 8-10 minutes a night. Personally still concerned over immediate depth at 4/5. Mitchell is not likely to be ready and Freeman is an absolute wild card along with Curry’s question mark.

If you are talking about just offense I could maybe agree.

Carr / Mash
Gabe / Tre
Gach / Ihnen
Johnson / Omersa
Robbins

Gach/Tre/Mash flexibility between 1-3 gives you more actual depth than one would think. Immediate big man depth concerning.

Nonetheless... that’s a pretty legit top 9 assuming nothing from Curry!!

So let’s just hypothetically say we land Gach. Assuming he’s eligible immediately..What would be the ideal last schollie?

I’d say a knock down shooter or an immediately eligible big that can play 8-10 minutes a night. Personally still concerned over immediate depth at 4/5. Mitchell is not likely to be ready and Freeman is an absolute wild card along with Curry’s question mark.
David Mutaf please

David mutaf. If carr comes back and Robbins is eligible

Carr / Mash
Gabe / Tre
Gach / Ihnen
Johnson / Omersa
Robbins

Gach/Tre/Mash flexibility between 1-3 gives you more actual depth than one would think. Immediate big man depth concerning.

Nonetheless... that’s a pretty legit top 9 assuming nothing from Curry!!
If we get gach I so hope we can run a press for most of the game with this depth.
I know it wont happen though.

It has to be a transfer big, because Robbins is absolutely not a slam dunk to be immediately eligible this season.

Unless they know that Freeman and/or Curry are ready to hold it down.

Carr, gabe(combining his d), robbins, johnson, and possibly ihnen(expecting a big jump from him).
This is obviously my opinion. I want Gach on our team but I just dont think he is top 3. Some nights maybe but overall I dont think so.
If u expect a big jump from Ihnen why wouldnt Gach make a leap also. If Gabe is still one of our top 3 still then we will be in trouble. Robbins probably better but Johnson is really debatable

If u expect a big jump from Ihnen why wouldnt Gach make a leap also. If Gabe is still one of our top 3 still then we will be in trouble. Robbins probably better but Johnson is really debatable
I have no problem with gabe being one of our top 3 players. If he is, that means hes knocking down 3's night after night. If gabe has a great year, we have the chance to be really good!

Never missed Matz so much!!! Though he’s more of a UW kind of guy...

Ihnen has more of a ceiling I would think. He just started playing in america, was injured last year, and has a year up on gach on the system. Gabe is one of the better defenders in the big 10, so yes I still say top 3. Johnson is debatable just my opinion, think he is going to be the tough guy rebounding, defending multiple positions and getting the scrap points.

You might have said this early but you seem close to the situation on gach. Do you think he would come to the gophers? I mean do you think that would be one of his first choices? Because i am getting a lil too excited now, lol.

When will the ncaa decide on if liam robbins gets a waiver? I read sometime in may, but is there an actual date.

When will the ncaa decide on if liam robbins gets a waiver? I read sometime in may, but is there an actual date.

The vote on the 1-time transfer rule is tomorrow. As of last check it was not expected to pass, and most D-1 coaches don't want it to. I would expect waivers to be filed Thursday if they haven't been already.

You might have said this early but you seem close to the situation on gach. Do you think he would come to the gophers? I mean do you think that would be one of his first choices? Because i am getting a lil too excited now, lol.

I don’t know that I would call myself close to situation but am moderately connected to Austin basketball scene and Southern Minnesota basketball scene.

What I do know is he has a strong interest in being closer to home. This is probably a faulty analogy but if you think about what Tyler Johnson means to the Minneapolis North community... that’s how Both Gach is thought of in Austin. The Sudanese basketball community kids look up to him. The program is turning out multiple scholarship kids these days. I have heard from several people that are close to him that he would have a strong interest in the U.

With that said, he also will likely feel a responsibility to take care of his family financially. I believe he has multiple (5-6-7?) siblings that struggle financially. The opportunity to play professionally will be alluring to that family. The counter to that is his older brother Gach Gach was a D2 All American and first in family to graduate college. The family and Sudanese community in Austin is very proud of that. I think the opportunity to play in front of family and friends along with get a degree will win out.

There is also a sense that he missed out on some of the “hometown hero” stuff when he left Austin just days before the start of his senior year to go to Compass Prep in AZ. That Austin team would have likely won the AAA state title. His twin brother stayed with his friends and finished the year. That team lost to Delano in the semis when Wishert carried them to a title.

Point being... it seems like he would love to come back and soak up playing locally. For a kid who missed his senior year of playing at home and has now played three straight basketball seasons with limited support network around him, it feels like that will help us. I know he’s been in town at least on or off in past months and several in basketball community think the U is very likely.

All of that said.. I think the three options in order are:

1.) Play at U
2.) Play for a sexy national program that comes calling (he never got to experience the recruiting process as a prep really). Playing at a national power could elevate his status.
3.) Go Pro

All of that to say, I think it’s highly unlikely to go to a non blue blood HM program.

Last edited:

Ihnen has more of a ceiling I would think. He just started playing in america, was injured last year, and has a year up on gach on the system. Gabe is one of the better defenders in the big 10, so yes I still say top 3. Johnson is debatable just my opinion, think he is going to be the tough guy rebounding, defending multiple positions and getting the scrap points.
I think Gach still is improving and has incredible upside also. Thats one of the reasons hes being mentioned on draft boards. I can see Ihnen making a jump but it depends on what position he plays. He’s had time to adjust as a stretch 4 but as far as playing on the wing he will have to adjust again

As previously noted, the big questions are
What does Pitino want? and
What can he get?

Sure, in a perfect world, you want an impact transfer who gets a waiver and can play immediately. Or, an impact grad transfer who can give you one good year.

but, if you cannot find an impact player at this date - or the guy you want does not get a waiver, then you need to have a Plan B.

And the situation is definitely impacted by Pitino's status. another bad year and he's gone. and I think he knows it. so, can he afford to use a scholly on someone who may not be able to help him immediately? I would tend to say No.

It may not be the best long-term option for the program, but my gut tells me that Pitino will take a grad transfer first, even if it means losing a more talented player who has to sit a year.

The vote on the 1-time transfer rule is tomorrow. As of last check it was not expected to pass, and most D-1 coaches don't want it to. I would expect waivers to be filed Thursday if they haven't been already.
The DI Board has a considerably different makeup than the DI Council that will actually be voting.
http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=BOARD
http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1COUNCIL

But it's presidents that usually have the final decision, and the board is mainly presidents. The council is mainly ADs and commissioners.

So anyway, I wonder if there is any chance in hell that the Council disagrees with the Board and votes yes on the waiver guidelines update proposal? I guess that would probably get leaked out or be known, and I haven't heard anyone saying anything like that, so I guess probably not.

As previously noted, the big questions are
What does Pitino want? and
What can he get?

Sure, in a perfect world, you want an impact transfer who gets a waiver and can play immediately. Or, an impact grad transfer who can give you one good year.

but, if you cannot find an impact player at this date - or the guy you want does not get a waiver, then you need to have a Plan B.

And the situation is definitely impacted by Pitino's status. another bad year and he's gone. and I think he knows it. so, can he afford to use a scholly on someone who may not be able to help him immediately? I would tend to say No.

It may not be the best long-term option for the program, but my gut tells me that Pitino will take a grad transfer first, even if it means losing a more talented player who has to sit a year.
I think if we cant get an immediate eligible player like Mutaf I would go with a sit one and pocket the other because there is no point in trying to sign a 2 year grad transfer from a small conference just to get another body or a 4 year ie Greenlee, Mav, or one of our late signee 4 year guys. I think we are deep enough and would rather focus on developing Williams, Ihnen & Mashburn if Robbins is eligible

Top Bottom