Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Arkansas and Eric Musselman are going after David Mutaf. Apparently Mutaf likes that one of their assistant coaches has past NBA experience. You would have to think having Demir and sending Coffey/Oturu to the NBA would give us the edge though right?

I would think the Demir angle would be helpful for sure. I think Arkansas probably has a couple recent guys in the NBA (at least Daniel Gafford) that they can hang their hats on too. I have been seeing a lot of Arkansas being on the same spring guys as us, so not really surprised.

So what's your vibe on David Mutaf?
I have a hard time getting a read on Mutaf, he seems skilled but I can't tell how his (seeming) lack of athleticism would be a factor in how he played here. It's tough watching the YouTube stuff of the foreign kids if their opposition appears to not have NCAA level athleticism (at least for me). This article came out today from the Arkansas site that is pretty encouraging on Mutaf:

highlights:

* The guy advising Mutaf calls him the best wing player for his age in Turkey and one of the best 3 at his position in Europe

* The same guy says the Gophers and Razorbacks should be considered the leaders for Mutaf

Key Quote: "He (Mutaf) likes Minnesota and the warmness. He can see Minnesota really wants him bad. He likes the Big Ten Conference. At Arkansas, he likes Eric Musselman a lot. He likes Musselman's past record. He likes the fact that the assistant coach has NBA experience (Clay Moser).

Further: "I think he wants to make a decision quickly. I know Arkansas and Minnesota want him to make it quickly."

Edit: sorry that this link was already posted. I looked at the messages I needed to respond to before reading the thread.

Last edited:

I have to assume Gach would be a fairly big priority. mn kid means chance at a waiver and a decent producer at a P5 school that beat us

I have a hard time getting a read on Mutaf, he seems skilled but I can't tell how his (seeming) lack of athleticism would be a factor in how he played here. It's tough watching the YouTube stuff of the foreign kids if their opposition appears to not have NCAA level athleticism (at least for me). This article came out today from the Arkansas site that is pretty encouraging on Mutaf:

highlights:

* The guy advising Mutaf calls him the best wing player for his age in Turkey and one of the best 3 at his position in Europe

* The same guy says the Gophers and Razorbacks should be considered the leaders for Mutaf

Key Quote: "He (Mutaf) likes Minnesota and the warmness. He can see Minnesota really wants him bad. He likes the Big Ten Conference. At Arkansas, he likes Eric Musselman a lot. He likes Musselman's past record. He likes the fact that the assistant coach has NBA experience (Clay Moser).

Further: "I think he wants to make a decision quickly. I know Arkansas and Minnesota want him to make it quickly."

Edit: sorry that this link was already posted. I looked at the messages I needed to respond to before reading the thread.
He’s as athletic as a white European player gets. Is he going to be Jarvis Omersa around the rim? No, but he’s got a hell of a lot more bounce than Demir did.

I already argued with Built about this but you can tell he moves very well for his size regardless of the competition. The easiest comparison to make is to Luka Doncic - both are 6’6 wing/SGs.

I have to assume Gach would be a fairly big priority. mn kid means chance at a waiver and a decent producer at a P5 school that beat us
Only a 25% 3 point shooter last year....although he did go through a huge dry spell - 1-35 over several games

Where did we argue ? I simply have not seen him in person. Other coaches have seen him and passed. That also does not mean he will not be a really good player. I always hesitate to compare kids to a extremely skilled NBA player.

Where did we argue ? I simply have not seen him in person. Other coaches have seen him and passed. That also does not mean he will not be a really good player. I always hesitate to compare kids to a extremely skilled NBA player.
I should've been more clear. I didn't mean pertaining to David Mutaf but with regards to the competition doesn't influence athleticism. You can tell from his highlight reel that he moves well for a big 6'6" wing/guard.

And I'm by no means saying Mutaf will be anything close to Doncic. Just that they share similarities in both their game and build. What programs passed on him?

That article is great highlighting Gophers and Arkansas. Hope to see him make a choice soon. Musselman scares me a little bit but sounds like we've got just as good a shot.

I'm now in on the Gach club too.

My 2 scholarship fills updated to these 2 guys. Or I should just say I'd be happy with these guys. Things change daily.

Last edited:

Just noticed we didn't offer him out of HS - anyone know why weren't on him then?

Per his profile, looked like he moved from Austin or prepped in AZ and was pretty highly rated -

1589511602428.png

Last edited:

I should've been more clear. I didn't mean pertaining to David Mutaf but with regards to the competition doesn't influence athleticism. You can tell from his highlight reel that he moves well for a big 6'6" wing/guard.

And I'm by no means saying Mutaf will be anything close to Doncic. Just that they share similarities in both their game and build. What programs passed on him?
Gonzaga, Nova, Florida that i know of. It is not like the top 20 programs did not know about him. Again, it does not mean that he will not become a really good player. Simply information. As we were scratching and clawing for prospects he was not the first priority.

highlights:

Thanks for the summary!

Why is Gach leaving Utah? That seems like a solid program with a coach who is at least respected where he has a big opportunity as a starter and heavily featured player.

He's talented. And if he wants in, I'd take him. But what do Utah folks say about him? I wonder if there aren't off-court maintenance things with him.

Why is Gach leaving Utah? That seems like a solid program with a coach who is at least respected where he has a big opportunity as a starter and heavily featured player.

He's talented. And if he wants in, I'd take him. But what do Utah folks say about him? I wonder if there aren't off-court maintenance things with him.
Sit one play two ? Low efficiency.Would he be cut minutes here ?

I'm just making some inferences here, but that's pretty aggressive for him to put his name in the NBA draft after those 2 seasons and those stats. I'm thinking he wants to go to a program that will help better put him on the map and develop more into an NBA guy. Good thing now is I wouldn't rule out Minnesota possibly being in the mix for a kid like that. And doesn't hurt he is from here and I assume family is here.

He got beat out of the starting 5 after a midseason injury I believe. Don't think Utah fans are too upset about losing him.

Gach was mentioned in Chip's feature on Austin and its newly (over last 25 years) diverse community:

"He became a role model for Sudanese kids, including his twin 20-year-old brothers. Duoth Gach plays at a junior college with hopes of transferring to a D-I program; Both Gach is a sophomore guard at the University of Utah and his team’s second-leading scorer at 10.6 points per game. All three brothers hope to play professionally, either in the NBA or overseas, to “get my mom off her feet,” Gach says."

Really nice story if you didn't catch it.

He got beat out of the starting 5 after a midseason injury I believe. Don't think Utah fans are too upset about losing him.

His Utah bio says he started 25 of 27 games and averaged 30 minutes a game. Seems like he was a big part of their team.

FWIW. I have no other context, just found it interesting. Alex seems relatively credible in this instance.

I'm not sure why we didn't pursue Both out of high school but there could be a couple reasons.
If language or some requirements prevented him from qualifying out of high school that'd be one.
He was razor thin which could be a drawback in the Big Ten. But he is lightning quick, fearless attacking the rim on the break and can completely overtake a game from 3 when he hits a frequent hot streak. Saw him play a bunch at Austin...like his game a lot. But like a lot of guys he needs a coach who will utilize his strengths and not ask him to do things he isn't capable of. Put him in scheme that covers up the weaknesses and utilizes his gifts. We have not done that much other than with guys who dominate the ball.

Gonzaga, Nova, Florida that i know of. It is not like the top 20 programs did not know about him. Again, it does not mean that he will not become a really good player. Simply information. As we were scratching and clawing for prospects he was not the first priority.

I have been reading this board for a long time but don’t post much. I am just curious built. What makes you so plugged in? Do you have previous division 1 coaching experience, how do you know all the kids family’s and inside information? Just curious not meant to be a jab.

I have been reading this board for a long time but don’t post much. I am just curious built. What makes you so plugged in? Do you have previous division 1 coaching experience, how do you know all the kids family’s and inside information? Just curious not meant to be a jab.
Represented dozens of coaches. Scouted for over 40 years. Know only a small % of kids and families but see hundreds play every year. After so many years close to the game you make friends with people, you meet a lot of folks. Started when i was a kid. My father was close to Phil Woolpert and i had access to practice as a young boy. Played college golf on the west coach and went into a family practice that represented coaches. They thought i had a eye for it and over the years had me do early assessments. Those coaches knew what other coaches were great right away and told me. Decades of going to clinics, practices and games. Listening, watching ,learning. Lifetime now of what makes great leaders, players and teams. Started at home, started with playing sports, grew from the competitive drive and education. Really studied Maslow, Generals, coaches.

He has skill at hittin F5 and reporting it here. Just pokin fun

The easiest comparison to make is to Luka Doncic - both are 6’6 wing/SGs.

Oh, c'mon, let's not get carried away. If he's a budding Luke Doncic, pencil us in for a final 8 appearance now.

Top Bottom