Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Although the transfer and recruiting cycle are still fluid, it does seem like getting Gach and the Mutaf. Gives us more wing depth that both bring different skill sets.

Long time viewer, first time poster.

Wanted to give some context to the Gach conversation and his lack of recruitment from the U out of high school. (I am from Austin). He was an absolute superstar in high school. He and his twin brother were stand outs, both incredibly athletic, very skilled but rail thin at that age (freshman-junior years).

Both was pretty clearly a level or two better than his brother but the two together were lethal. If you get the chance to google them, they put on a show at Target Center his junior year against a very good Marshall team. Throwing fast break alley oops off the back board in transition, it was something.

As for the “character issues” this would be news to me and anyone in Austin. They did however, have widely known academic issues. Two different things. Neither was going to academically qualify as was. Thus, Both made the difficult decision to leave Austin and go to prep school in AZ. That allowed him the opportunity to get proper nutrition, weight room, etc. He also was able to get his grades right. Was widely considered a mid-major kid if he could quality but bulked up substantially in AZ. At that time, some P5 interest started to come and landed at Utah.

As for AAU, he was largely under the radar. Austin is two hours from the Twin Cities and his family had very limited resources. He had bounced around on some elite teams but clearly had some disadvantages out of his own control.

In Austin, many of the athletes do not have access to proper nutrition, etc. Fads (Head Coach) would keep a loaf of bread and peanut butter in his office just so they would have something to eat.

Anyway... I saw him last summer and he was huge, physically imposing, legit 6 foot 6 and thick. He’s matured into a man. I get the sense he would like to come back and being close to his family that still resides in Austin.
Firstly, welcome! And thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Wondering if you have any thoughts on why the following Twitter person doesn't think so?

Thanks MPLS!

Not sure what Conover is talking about? I would put more credence in James Hebrink. James is the father of Tate Hebrink (good friends with Gach Twins. ) Tate is headed to an NAIA school in Dakotas after a Juco stint. Basketball family, mom was a collegiate women’s head coach.

Anyway... that family essentially hauled Gach kids around to tournaments, meals, etc. They are like family to them. James has been vocal on twitter saying Gophers are likely landing spot.

Thanks MPLS!

Not sure what Conover is talking about? I would put more credence in James Hebrink. James is the father of Tate Hebrink (good friends with Gach Twins. ) Tate is headed to an NAIA school in Dakotas after a Juco stint. Basketball family, mom was a collegiate women’s head coach.

Anyway... that family essentially hauled Gach kids around to tournaments, meals, etc. They are like family to them. James has been vocal on twitter saying Gophers are likely landing spot.
Thanks again!

Well, if it is what the young man and his family want, I hope the Gophers offer him with open arms!

I think EG9 brought up a good point on what kind of expectations would he have coming to our team, as far as opportunities to shoot or handle the ball. But if at the end of the day, being closer to home and having family watch you is more important, we all gotta decide what our priorities are.

For those that haven’t seen him. This was his best game of 2019-20 season. Career high 28 against a good Colorado team.

I have followed Both closely at Utah. Shot selection has been liberal no doubt, he is a talented and willing passer though. Again I’m biased and take it for what it’s worth but the kid would be a good Big Ten contributor.

Hadn't even actually seen him before watching this, I really like the look of him. Looks athletic and quick but well built, with a pretty nice looking shot and some slashing ability.

Really liked the sequence at 2:13 in the video where he gets the board and goes coast to coast for the layup.

For those that haven’t seen him. This was his best game of 2019-20 season. Career high 28 against a good Colorado team.

I have followed Both closely at Utah. Shot selection has been liberal no doubt, he is a talented and willing passer though. Again I’m biased and take it for what it’s worth but the kid would be a good Big Ten contributor.

Saw him plenty and think he would help this team but is it best for the program ? Can he play this coming season and if not that could be a huge factor in not wanting him.

Long time viewer, first time poster.

Wanted to give some context to the Gach conversation and his lack of recruitment from the U out of high school. (I am from Austin). He was an absolute superstar in high school. He and his twin brother were stand outs, both incredibly athletic, very skilled but rail thin at that age (freshman-junior years).

Both was pretty clearly a level or two better than his brother but the two together were lethal. If you get the chance to google them, they put on a show at Target Center his junior year against a very good Marshall team. Throwing fast break alley oops off the back board in transition, it was something.

As for the “character issues” this would be news to me and anyone in Austin. They did however, have widely known academic issues. Two different things. Neither was going to academically qualify as was. Thus, Both made the difficult decision to leave Austin and go to prep school in AZ. That allowed him the opportunity to get proper nutrition, weight room, etc. He also was able to get his grades right. Was widely considered a mid-major kid if he could quality but bulked up substantially in AZ. At that time, some P5 interest started to come and landed at Utah.

As for AAU, he was largely under the radar. Austin is two hours from the Twin Cities and his family had very limited resources. He had bounced around on some elite teams but clearly had some disadvantages out of his own control.

In Austin, many of the athletes do not have access to proper nutrition, etc. Fads (Head Coach) would keep a loaf of bread and peanut butter in his office just so they would have something to eat.

Anyway... I saw him last summer and he was huge, physically imposing, legit 6 foot 6 and thick. He’s matured into a man. I get the sense he would like to come back and being close to his family that still resides in Austin.
thanks RBT, good insight.

I would think his waiver chances are equal to if not better than Robbins. Gach comes from an improverished family and is moving back to support system during unprecedented times.

When you have as limited as depth as we have, take the most talented kid and figure it out. This is NOT a Zach Lofton type of deal. Yes he likes ball in his hands but he’s a great kid and tieless worker.

Not saying I know anything about Lofton as a person. Referring to the fit in terms of culture, team components and ball dominance, etc

Did he just have an off year last year or is he not a good 3 pt shooter? 25% and 19% in pac 12 play.

Did he just have an off year last year or is he not a good 3 pt shooter? 25% and 19% in pac 12 play.

He went through an awful slump where he missed something like 20+ straight 3’s... no doubt it was bad, very bad. Overall he’s an adequate three point shooter throughout his life. Shot a very solid percentage as a prep. I would expect low 30’s.

One thing about the kid is he is fearless. I remember watching him against Matthew Hurt and would go right at him. Same when Austin and DLS met in the summer season... went right at Gabe, Terry, etc.

Not afraid to take big shots. Something this team can use. There is probably some validity to concerns surrounding only one ball when he’s on the floor with Carr/Mash/Tre, etc but beggars can’t be choosers with two open schollies and talent that may want to come home. Just my two cents.

How is Gach's defense? He's athletic, and Damian seems excited about the team's defensive potential if we get him, so I assume he's a good defender. Can anyone who has seen full games of his speak more to that?

German KD ha, man first he's Doncic and now he's KD?? I guess the one year we have Mutaf we would need to dominate since he's likely going #1 :cool:

How is Gach's defense? He's athletic, and Damian seems excited about the team's defensive potential if we get him, so I assume he's a good defender. Can anyone who has seen full games of his speak more to that?

Extremely long and athletic, very active defensively. Tips, deflections, etc. Can guard 1-3 at HM level. Should fit in well with this group in that regard.

Extremely long and athletic, very active defensively. Tips, deflections, etc. Can guard 1-3 at HM level. Should fit in well with this group in that regard.

Great to hear. Sounds like a high motor type of player? Could really use that.

Great to hear. Sounds like a high motor type of player? Could really use that.

From what I've seen on Gach, the motor runs hot and cold. When he's locked in and engaged, he can be impactful. Not sure what his wingspan is, but he plays long (some long guys don't extend their damn arms, negating the value of said length) and is cat-quick.

I wouldn't expect 'lockdown defender' from Gach, but he could hold his own and potentially ignite some transition opportunities.

If the Gophers can land Gach, I don't know if he's their second best player, but that title could literally be a revolving line from night to night with Kalscheur, Robbins, Johnson and him. I like that. Would make the team difficult to plan for.

Yes definitely more in that high motor, athletic, attack mentality than a Gabe type that is always in the right spot, heady, make the right decision type. Don’t get me wrong, he’s got a fairly high basketball IQ but that’s not his bread and butter.

Gach would absolutely have nights when he is in our top 3 players. Like almost everybody on the Gophers recently, except Murphy and probably Daniel too,,,consistency has been a major issue. Coffey had games he completely disappeared. Carr did not look to score some nights. Gabe couldn't make a basket some nights...etc
We don't know about where Robbins and Johnson fit but certainly should be top 3 guys too.
So top 3 is a moving target. Gach has the talent to enter the discussion each game. With him we'd have another candidate.
Thing about Gach...he makes big plays.

As a prep his skill was NEVER in question. He was considered a mid major type of kid because he was sooo thin mostly. Compound that with the academic challenges and he just wasn’t close to a take for the U at the time (rightfully so). Today I would think he has to be.

Thanks as I asked about his HS recruitment, as others may have.

Sounds like the kind of guy you would want on your team and would in a round-about way satisfy the nativists fans as well since he's from Austin.

Richard, Sign him on the line which is dotted, ASAP.

He averaged 30 minutes a game and was 2nd leading scorer at a P5 school. (A team that nearly ran us out of the building). I realize Utah wasn’t great and the PAC 12 is down but it’s May and we have two open schollies.

Can’t believe this is even a conversation.

Exactly.

Top Bottom