Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

per Bossi:

On Sunday, Minnesota emerged as one of the big winners of the 2020 transfer cycle when Drake 7-footer announced that he was transferring to play for Richard Pitino and the Gophers.

A native of Davenport, Iowa, who was lightly recruited after prepping at Bel Aire (Kans.) Sunrise Christian, I did not see Robbins play in high school. However, I've had the chance to watch him develop at Drake where he averaged more than 14 points, seven rebounds and just under three blocks per game as a sophomore.

I am interested to see how well Robbins translates athletically to the Big Ten, but he's big, takes up space, has excellent timing as a shot blocker and good touch on the offensive end, out to about 15 feet, meaning he could extend into a pick-and-pop guy.

You never can quite be sure what you will get when a guy transfers up a level, but Robbins has improved drastically over the past few years and if he continues that trend he could go a long way toward plugging the hole that is left by Gophers' sophomore big man Daniel Oturu's departure to the NBA.

Go Gophers!!

We hang the banners for any season we cheated and i will end every and all gifts to this university.
I get your angle, but to me it feels like you're throwing rocks at a tank.

In college basketball above all else, if no other sport in college, schools cheat. They work with people who pay players and their families cash under the table, in exchange for funneling the players to a school and/or in hopes they'll pick them for pro representation.

That's how it works, and has for some time.

The NCAA needs to get everything figured out to make competition continuously more fair as best as they can. That's all I hope from them, which maybe is too much to ask it seems. That said, I'm gonna be a Gophs fan year-in and year-out regardless of the way things go down at other schools. I hope we're doing it the right way, that's all I ask.

Last edited:

I’m not in favor of hanging banners because I approve of cheating. I’m in favor of hanging banners as a protest toward the NCAA. Our severe punishment should have been levied toward UNC. The unbalanced approach taken by the NCAA is incredibly maddening.

Thanks for the update.

Man do we have a lot of irons in the fire now. Color me impressed.

Does anyone have any insight on how this works to who grab the last spot (I'm assuming Carr is coming back at this point and we don't have a nother scholarship available)? Is it first come, first serve? I'm also guessing the other bigs 4/5 have been told we're good at this point.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update.

Man do we have a lot of irons in the fire now. Color me impressed.

Does anyone have any insight on how this works to who grab the last spot (I'm assuming Carr is coming back at this point and we don't have a nother scholarship available)? Is it first come, first serve? I'm also guessing the other bigs 4/5 have been told we're good at this point.

Thanks!
I would think once you promise the next scholarship we're done. I don't know if there's any way to scrounge up another scholarship(s) besides kids transferring out. I wouldn't expect us to hit on this kid today or really want to hit on him if that's the case.

Everyone on this board has speculated that Greenlee would be the one out if a current player were to transfer. Do we have any indications he wants out/Richard is gonna push him out? Or is this pure speculation/wishful thinking?

I would think once you promise the next scholarship we're done. I don't know if there's any way to scrounge up another scholarship(s) besides kids transferring out. I wouldn't expect us to hit on this kid today or really want to hit on him if that's the case.
Thanks.

So if Peterson commits then we're done with Walton (assuming we don't have another spot)?

If that's the case and he really wants to come here, maybe he pulls the trigger sooner then.

The NCAA needs to get everything figured out to make competition continuously more fair as best as they can. That's all I hope from them, which maybe is too much to ask it seems. That said, I'm gonna be a Gophs fan year-in and year-out regardless of the way things go down at other schools. I hope we're doing it the right way, that's all I ask.
If (several) other Big Ten schools are taking guys that are getting paid under the table with cash by 3rd parties, and aren't getting caught doing it, then the Gophers need to be doing it too.

If (several) other Big Ten schools are taking guys that are getting paid under the table with cash by 3rd parties, and aren't getting caught doing it, then the Gophers need to be doing it too.
That's true, and for me, if everybody else is doing it and the NCAA is just standing by, it's like it's almost become part of the rule book. I'm not saying that's the case, but if it is, I don't think I have a huge problem with that. At least everyone knows what's established. College basketball then just operates like the MLB with no salary cap. Duke/UNCs of the world like the Yankees.

Everyone on this board has speculated that Greenlee would be the one out if a current player were to transfer. Do we have any indications he wants out/Richard is gonna push him out? Or is this pure speculation/wishful thinking?
Greenlee most likely due to potential of perceived playing time in the future but any transfer rumbling with him is speculation at this point. Probably would have transferred already or announced if that was his intention but you never know everyday there are new entries to the portal

That's true, and for me, if everybody else is doing it and the NCAA is just standing by, it's like it's almost become part of the rule book. I'm not saying that's the case, but if it is, I don't think I have a huge problem with that. At least everyone knows what's established. College basketball then just operates like the MLB with no salary cap. Duke/UNCs of the world like the Yankees.
After seeing The Scheme on HBO, and hearing Dawkins' story, I have zero doubt that it is.

He's out of basketball entirely. He got convinced and sentenced with prison time. He had nothing to gain by telling his story. I believe it entirely.

Greenlee most likely due to potential of perceived playing time in the future but any transfer rumbling with him is speculation at this point. Probably would have transferred already or announced if that was his intention but you never know everyday there are new entries to the portal
Anybody know the deadline to enter the portal? I would say Greenlee is feeling pretty good if Carr stays in the draft.

Anybody know the deadline to enter the portal? I would say Greenlee is feeling pretty good if Carr stays in the draft.
Pitino can't just sit back and hope for the best. He has to plan for the possibility that Carr could decide to leave, as Coffey did.

Maybe Greenlee and Mashburn would split time at PG, then?

Richard does not have a history of shoving guys out the door. I would not expect that. If Greenlee is looking for court time, going to a lower level program would be in his best interest.

With all due respect -if that was our policy I would not actively root for the Gophers. I doubt I am the only one who holds this sentiment.

You are entitled to your opinion, however to say that's what we must do when it is against the rules and act like it's the Gospel is pure folly.

What profits the man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul?

Pitino can't just sit back and hope for the best. He has to plan for the possibility that Carr could decide to leave, as Coffey did.
But he's in a tough spot because you've got 2 available scholarships. The talk has mainly been that Carr comes back. So we've got 1. Now we're chasing Peterson, Walton, El-Amin, whoever else. I don't think you wanna be that school that tells multiple kids "hey we're waiting on these other decisions before we can let you commit." I wouldn't be thrilled if I was being told that.

With all due respect -if that was our policy I would not actively root for the Gophers. I doubt I am the only one who holds this sentiment.
I wouldn't be surprised if it already happened. Seems pretty rampant to me.

That's silly. It's just basketball. It doesn't amount to a hill of beans in your own personal life. It's just for entertainment.

But he's in a tough spot because you've got 2 available scholarships. The talk has mainly been that Carr comes back. So we've got 1. Now we're chasing Peterson, Walton, El-Amin, whoever else. I don't think you wanna be that school that tells multiple kids "hey we're waiting on these other decisions before we can let you commit." I wouldn't be thrilled if I was being told that.
Which is why I said, maybe his plan is to use some combination of other players at PG if Carr does leave, and use the schollys for the other positions.

You are entitled to your opinion, however to say that's what we must do when it is against the rules and act like it's the Gospel is pure folly.

The only way I disagree with you here is if there has become a school-wide understanding that it has become commonplace. I don't know how realistic that is though or if that's what we'd really want the NCAA to operate as.
I also think there is a place where money legitimately helps some of these kids and their families. McBrayer when his mom was sick I know was all paid when the team went out to visit him. NCAA must have some allowance there or the U paid it maybe.
I'm sure most payments are selfish for the coach thinking how it benefits him, but the rules are just strange even in solid moral cases.

Which is why I said, maybe his plan is to use some combination of other players at PG if Carr does leave, and use the schollys for the other positions.
I would agree this should be how he approaches it. Sounds like Peterson could play the 1. Mashburn also. Then Willis when he needs to if it comes to that.

The only way I disagree with you here is if there has become a school-wide understanding that it has become commonplace. I don't know how realistic that is though or if that's what we'd really want the NCAA to operate as.
Believe me on this, the NCAA only cares about amateurism because they, somehow, believe people only watch/care about college teams because of the perception that the athletes are amateurs, instead of professionals.

That is a farce, of course. But that's why they're afraid to death of killing the "golden goose".

Believe me on this, the NCAA only cares about amateurism because they, somehow, believe people only watch/care about college teams because of the perception that the athletes are amateurs, instead of professionals.

That is a farce, of course. But that's why they're afraid to death of killing the "golden goose".
I got your point and I know it's happening, but to what extent really makes me think. Who are the guys out there doing it the right way? What does the right way look like? What percentage of coaches at P5 and G5 conferences are doing it the "right" / "wrong" way?

The on-topic police will be swooping down upon us at any moment, so we should probably table it from here and get back to the transfers. Thanks for indulging me though!

The on-topic police will be swooping down upon us at any moment, so we should probably table it from here and get back to the transfers. Thanks for indulging me though!
Just thinking the same, either way paid or not I'm a hoops fan and I feel good about my own moral compass.

Sotos announcing shortly here. Wouldn't expect a commit there.

I get your angle, but to me it feels like you're throwing rocks at a tank.

In college basketball above all else, if no other sport in college, schools cheat. They work with people who pay players and their families cash under the table, in exchange for funneling the players to a school and/or in hopes they'll pick them for pro representation.

That's how it works, and has for some time.
Has never worked that way with the coaches, players and families i have worked with. We have always targeted the Ty Jerome types, the Brogdons, Penney's, Wilikinsons, Tuckers, Lows and Weavers. Your simply lumping in the bad characters with the good. That is offensive to all the great coaches and players and parents who have never cheated. Of course programs have cheated, look at our own. Does not mean everyone does it because they do not. Minnesota is not cheating now.

Not really. People watch because of their association with the schools and communities, not their status as pros or amateurs. As much as we talk about them being professional, it is a microscopic percentage of them, even in the big money sports, who are and can be. The question few ask or want to deal with is whether the entire system should be altered by small numbers of people who could be categorized as "professionals." If they cared about their system, they would work more closely with the pro leagues to remove the ambiguity that is there for the few.

Just because others cheat does not make it right that you do it. Name one guy from UW they had to pay for, name one here, name one for UVA. That scum Dawlins did not pay anyone not highly ranked. He was in for himself. This past winter i was asked to host a recruit on a visit and i am always reminded to not even consider buying lunch ! Of course these types of kids come from families that would never raise a kid that way. They understand a 500,000 scholarship, a degree from a elite college and in several cases a masters degree. Complete insult as well as out of touch that everyone cheats.

Top Bottom