Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Seth Towns to Ohio State

What do we (as a consensus, not directed at you in particular, Built) think about these guys like Towns, Sestina, and Travis that go to legitimate academic universities and then turn around and grad transfer to the sleaziest teams around? Ohio State is probably better with Holtman but historically they have had as many issues as anyone. I guess they are the lucky few that can have their cake and eat it too.

Blue bloods aren't involved (yet) which definitely helps. DJ wants to go somewhere where he can start. While I'm sure even he hasn't begun to fully evaluate his options yet, have to think Creighton, Illinois, Nebraska, Oregon, and Seton Hall will be among serious considerations from him. It's going to still be an outside shot he comes to the Gophers but one worth watching.
Would he be the PG here, and Carr moves to another position? Or the other way around?

Would he be the PG here, and Carr moves to another position? Or the other way around?
They should be able to play along side each other. Then vary the times they're on the bench and the other takes the point. Shouldn't be too difficult to coach that in, if these guys are that talented, which I think they are.

Well I have zero idea if he would come here, but if he does, and Oturu comes back, then we should have plenty of talent to contend. If Pitino doesn't screw it up.

Carr would likely stay at PG with Carton handling duties when Carr gets a breather or is winded. Carton had lots of turnover issues when he ran point in long stretches this past season and Carr is the better distributor.

Still a long shot, and we're caught up in hypotheticals here, but I'd imagine it working like the Kemba Walker Shabazz Napier backcourt UCONN had about 10 years ago.

Well I have zero idea if he would come here, but if he does, and Oturu comes back, then we should have plenty of talent to contend. If Pitino doesn't screw it up.
I have no confidence in Pitino putting guys in the right spots and getting 'em to play together.

We have consistently had talent IMO.

Minnesota: [Richard Pitino] wants to have a center come in and play right away.

Arizona State: Romello White...they’re losing him, so they’re thinking about having someone like me come in too. [he is a junior, so Udeze seems to be referring to them losing him after next season)

Butler: They want me to come in, redshirt and then play. Most likely, I’m going to have to sit out with the NCAA rules.

Thanks for sharing the article. So we are telling him he can come play right away, but he says with Butler he would have to most likely sit out? And ASU wants him for 2021-2022 season?

Pitino seems very confident he will be able to get guys eligible. I hope he is right!
I think this strongly leans toward Pitino thinking Oturu is gone. Just about lock that in.

What do we (as a consensus, not directed at you in particular, Built) think about these guys like Towns, Sestina, and Travis that go to legitimate academic universities and then turn around and grad transfer to the sleaziest teams around? Ohio State is probably better with Holtman but historically they have had as many issues as anyone. I guess they are the lucky few that can have their cake and eat it too.
My understanding is that they have no choice but to transfer if they want to continue playing ball. From ESPN: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-transfer-policy-helping-players-hurting-them

But it's safe to say those tenets failed to anticipate the NCAA's graduate transfer rule, which has altered the landscape of college basketball over the past decade. It's even safer to say the Ivy League of 66 years ago never anticipated a talent like Columbia guard Mike Smith.

Smith, who leads the Ivy League in scoring with 21 points per game, missed most of what would have been his junior year in 2018-19 with a torn meniscus.

In every other Division I league, Smith would have been granted a medical redshirt, allowing the fifth-year athlete to play a fourth season of basketball as a graduate student at the school where he enrolled as a freshman in 2016.

Those options, however, do not exist in the Ivy League, which neither grants redshirts nor permits graduate students to play athletics.

per Marcus:

With Daniel Oturu likely heading to the NBA and other frontcourt issues to resolve, the Gophers coaching staff has been combing the transfer market for big men.

College basketball teams with post player needs can’t wait too long. It’s like toilet paper rolls in these hard times. You need to snatch them up before they’re gone.

Coach Richard Pitino has to prepare as if he could lose his starting frontcourt from this season, including Oturu, a sophomore All-America, and departing senior forward Alihan Demir, a former graduate transfer from Drexel.

“We are currently looking to add the right piece or pieces this spring,” Pitino wrote in his blog earlier this week. “Obviously, we have to explore all options as Daniel’s situation evolves.”

Go Gophers!!

I'm trying not to be a downer but the list of guys we are going after in the transfer market feels A LOT like RP's standard recruiting. Swing for the fences with guys everyone wants....don't get said player, and have to settle for someone nobody wants. Hopefully he can sell some of these guys on the U and B1G bball overall. Between Kerwin and a ton of high quality transfers we are certainly in on a lot of guys, time to seal the deal or get ready for a rough season Richard.

Sherfield off the board....to Nevada, I hope we werent pushing that hard because if Nevada is beating us to guys we already had a relationship with that is no good

Sherfield off the board....to Nevada, I hope we werent pushing that hard because if Nevada is beating us to guys we already had a relationship with that is no good
Mountain West continues to get better every year. Coaches and players.

I'm trying not to be a downer but the list of guys we are going after in the transfer market feels A LOT like RP's standard recruiting. Swing for the fences with guys everyone wants....don't get said player, and have to settle for someone nobody wants. Hopefully he can sell some of these guys on the U and B1G bball overall. Between Kerwin and a ton of high quality transfers we are certainly in on a lot of guys, time to seal the deal or get ready for a rough season Richard.
A lot of really successful programs go in on the transfer market. Richards been on it for awhile. It's a way to get and stay old

Mountain West continues to get better every year. Coaches and players.

Not really. They had two good teams this year and a bunch of trash. Not sure how far back you go, but 6-10 years ago, MWC used to be legit. It was a 4-6 bid conference every year. Recently there have been years where it's been 1-2.

Not really. They had two good teams this year and a bunch of trash. Not sure how far back you go, but 6-10 years ago, MWC used to be legit. It was a 4-6 bid conference every year. Recently there have been years where it's been 1-2.
You're right. Too much talk about Craig Smith, Medved, and Dutcher. I bought into the Mountain West. Nevada should get better with Alford though and UNLV w/ SDSU coach. Utah St. and San Diego St good. Colorado St. w/ Medved? I'm diggin.

I'd be good with it if they got the kid from Quinnipiac or Loyola Marymount. That won't guarantee they win games but the personnel would be in place.

It's certainly possible that Pitino said "hey Dan, I've got someone who'd like to commit, which way are you leaning?"
I'm thinking more they both already knew what was going on, but yeah maybe Pitino could've encouraged him to declare and be as ready as early as possible when the draft comes around, while also allowing recruits to know that spot is clearly open.

Who are the transfer bigs that people really like ? Has anyone even watched a single game of any of them ?

Who are the transfer bigs that people really like ? Has anyone even watched a single game of any of them ?
Markusson and Marfo. And no. I just don't know how many other real options there are.

Going 4 guards?
Yes, with Ihnen. Have him put on some weight. Would be a lot of fun. Give me Carton and Walton last 2 schols (ha). (y) I really would like to see Markusson or Marfo with a wing/guard.

Top Bottom