Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Feel free to post the same thing over and over, like an inarticulate moron.
It was a joke. And it was pretty funny, I might add, if you're not a tightazz, oversensitive about any criticism of your basketball coach, who you and I both know has failed, is failing, and is likely to fail.

For the record, I'm not an inarticulate moron. I'm quite articulate!

Give it a rest - we all know how you feel
People dumping on Pitino for his spring recruiting have crossed the line from thoughtful, objective criticism into blind hatred. There’s been a few guys who weren’t great but we’ve also had at least 4 spring recruits earn some sort of all conference honor, and others who were at least regular rotation players.

People dumping on Pitino for his spring recruiting have crossed the line from thoughtful, objective criticism into blind hatred. There’s been a few guys who weren’t great but we’ve also had at least 4 spring recruits earn some sort of all conference honor, and others who were at least regular rotation players.
He has recruited pretty well in the spring but the best spring recruits are the ones teams get at least one year ahead. Unless your a blue blood where often a top 25 kid will have waited.

I don't know how to post a tweet here but Jeff Goodman (@goodmanhoops) has said we were one of the teams to check in on Landers Nolley II from Va Tech. This would be a MASSIVE get. He essentially is Willis, except bigger and better at almost everything and was just a RS Freshman this last year.

Last edited:

I don't know how to post a tweet here but Jeff Goodman (@goodmanhoops) has said we were one of the teams to check in on Landers Nolley II from Va Tech. This would be a MASSIVE get. He essentially is Willis, except bigger and better at almost everything and was just a RS Freshman this last year.
You just click on the tweet, and copy the link URL, then paste that in here directly. This tweet for example, from Goodman just now, is saying his first visit will be Georgetown.

Pitino should have a decent pitch for big guys to come play at a high level Big 10 school right away. Hell, let's get a couple guys to come in!

Not to be a downer, but he had this same opportunity to sell Murphy's role to a ton of guys and we ended up with Demir who made as many 3's as I did for the Gophers over a month. I hope Pitino is doing anything and everything in his power to land these guys knowing full well his job is on the line. Maybe that means making promises you don't normally make in terms of playing time or a spot.

Also interesting group to look at (maybe a package deal in there?)

Last edited:

Interesting that Sherfield is transferring already. He was a priority target of ours last spring.

I would tend to think we're good at guard, but if a guy is that good obviously you take 'em. We really do just need one decent< big. I feel like we could figure the rest out and go smaller. Would be nice to get any legit guys that'll come in and give good minutes though.

I don't see that Sherfield fits the area of need at this point unless Williams were to leave (I don't suspect that). We need a big guy and a long wing that can score and defend.
Yeah I wasn't suggesting we go after him. It's just always interesting to follow the careers of "the ones that get away".

I hope Pitino is doing anything and everything in his power to land these guys knowing full well his job is on the line.

If his job is on the line, he shouldn't be going after sit-out transfers. You can only use the "wait until the guys we'll have next year play" line so many times. The fates gave him another year and he needs to make the most of it.

I don't see that Sherfield fits the area of need at this point unless Williams were to leave (I don't suspect that). We need a big guy and a long wing that can score and defend.
I disagree, he could play the point. Get him and I bet Greenlee leaves so I doubt they'd be out a scholly long term. Mashburn can take backup PG minutes next year (has to be better than Greenlee). Then in 2 yrs we either have depth at PG or Sherfield is the guy if Carr leaves (which I doubt but who knows).

Go get whoever you can. With the way the NCAA seems to randomly hand out waivers, you've got to think anybody brought in has at least a decent chance of playing right away. I know we are supposed to be bitter about Carr's whole thing - but at this point, it's worth a shot. And if a good player sits out, a year of development is clearly beneficial and I'd rather have a good player sitting out than a bad player just sitting.

And if they don't, you always want depth in the backcourt because you can play four guards at a time if you are low on bigs.

If they can land a guy like Nolley, he could either redshirt again or play right away in the PF (even though he's said he wants to play SF). If they land a guy like Sherfield and he can play right away, you now have six guys for 3.5 spots (PG, SG, SF and part time PF in a dwarf-ball situation - which I'd play if they can't recruit a viable big to log big minutes).

Looks like Seth Towns will pick Ohio State, especially with a ban on visits. Joshua Morgan enters portal.

If Towns goes to Ohio State, and he's healthy, the Buckeyes are likely a top-fiveish team in the country right? He replaces Andre Wesson. They've got Young who can probably replace the younger Wesson who I assume is gone. If Carton comes back, you've got a really solid rotation of guards and I believe they have a Cal transfer who averaged 14ish ppg the year prior.

To your point about visits being banned - if that is the case, I wonder how quickly the transfer market will move. And does that mean teams who had said kids in for visits before have an advantage?

Like, does that help us with Sherfield if we want him because he knows what he'd be walking into? Or is that overblown and guys will go to whichever salesman sells them the best? I tend to think its the latter but it'll be interesting to see.

It was a joke. And it was pretty funny, I might add, if you're not a tightazz, oversensitive about any criticism of your basketball coach, who you and I both know has failed, is failing, and is likely to fail.

For the record, I'm not an inarticulate moron. I'm quite articulate!
I also, am an articulate moron!?

If Towns goes to Ohio State, and he's healthy, the Buckeyes are likely a top-fiveish team in the country right? He replaces Andre Wesson. They've got Young who can probably replace the younger Wesson who I assume is gone. If Carton comes back, you've got a really solid rotation of guards and I believe they have a Cal transfer who averaged 14ish ppg the year prior.

To your point about visits being banned - if that is the case, I wonder how quickly the transfer market will move. And does that mean teams who had said kids in for visits before have an advantage?

Like, does that help us with Sherfield if we want him because he knows what he'd be walking into? Or is that overblown and guys will go to whichever salesman sells them the best? I tend to think its the latter but it'll be interesting to see.
With Towns, if he in fact goes to Ohio State, it played well that he is from Columbus. With Sherfield it helps that he has been here and has a relationship with the staff but is that really a fit now?

With Towns, if he in fact goes to Ohio State, it played well that he is from Columbus. With Sherfield it helps that he has been here and has a relationship with the staff but is that really a fit now?

I have no idea if Sherfield is a fit from a personality standpoint.

I tend to think you can never have too many playable guards though. In a hypothetical where he commits and can play right away, you have six guys you can trust to play regular minutes. And you can get four of them on the court at a time which may be necessary because of the lack of frontcourt talent.

If he sits out, he's a logical replacement for Willis (or Carr if he leaves early).

Independent of Sherfield, my point is that this team needs to simply stockpile talent especially on the perimeter. You can play four perimeter guys at a time. You can't play more than two big guys at a time but there are a lot of good teams that play dwarf-ball. And more competition might breed more rapid improvement.

I tend to think you can never have too many playable guards though. In a hypothetical where he commits and can play right away, you have six guys you can trust to play regular minutes. And you can get four of them on the court at a time which may be necessary because of the lack of frontcourt talent.

If he sits out, he's a logical replacement for Willis (or Carr if he leaves early).

Independent of Sherfield, my point is that this team needs to simply stockpile talent especially on the perimeter. You can play four perimeter guys at a time. You can't play more than two big guys at a time but there are a lot of good teams that play dwarf-ball. And more competition might breed more rapid improvement.

He shot 35% from the field in the AAC. I haven't seen him play, but that is a bad stat for that level of competition and shouldn't make him very appealing to a Big Ten team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pittsburgh grad transfer Ryan Murphy has heard from Cincinnati, BYU, Utah State, Boise State, Minnesota, Eastern Carolina, amongst others, he told <a href="https://twitter.com/stockrisers?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Stockrisers</a>.<br><br>Expect list to grow as programs intrigued with his potential scoring and shooting ability.</p>&mdash; Jake (@jakeweingarten) <a href="">March 16, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers have checked in on Ryan Murphy. Not sure why. He's another small (6'2) guard with a rep as a shooter who didn't shoot it particularly well for Pitt.

I agree with this completely.

Last year, our three guards all played more than 30 minutes per game. Carr and Kalscheur played like 38 minutes per game. I get that there is an assumption that Williams and maybe Greenlee will be able to take on more minutes, but if they can't, we are ridiculously thin at guard, even with Mashburn.

There are 120 minutes to spread around the two wings and the point.
Carr - 32
Kalsheur - 32
Willis - 25
Mashburn - 17
Grad Transfer/Williams/Greenlee - 14

Gophers have checked in on Ryan Murphy. Not sure why. He's another small (6'2) guard with a rep as a shooter who didn't shoot it particularly well for Pitt.
Casting a wide net? I mean it makes a little sense in that you replace Greenlee or random spring recruit with Murphy and that is probably an upgrade for 2020. Which is all Pitino cares about at this point.

From his game log it looks like he was starting and getting a lot of run until mid-January when his minutes declined from ~33 mpg to ~12 mpg. His best game (28 pts, 4/7 3pt) was against Nicholls State. He did have a few good games against the ACC too but overall I am a little surprised this guy is seen as desirable.

Go get whoever you can. With the way the NCAA seems to randomly hand out waivers, you've got to think anybody brought in has at least a decent chance of playing right away. I know we are supposed to be bitter about Carr's whole thing - but at this point, it's worth a shot. And if a good player sits out, a year of development is clearly beneficial and I'd rather have a good player sitting out than a bad player just sitting.

And if they don't, you always want depth in the backcourt because you can play four guards at a time if you are low on bigs.

If they can land a guy like Nolley, he could either redshirt again or play right away in the PF (even though he's said he wants to play SF). If they land a guy like Sherfield and he can play right away, you now have six guys for 3.5 spots (PG, SG, SF and part time PF in a dwarf-ball situation - which I'd play if they can't recruit a viable big to log big minutes).
your 1st point. he has already redshirted.....so he cannot just "redshirt again". if he wouldn't get a waiver to play right away and he had to sit out he would basically lose a year of eligibility and would come in the following year as a junior. Unless he redshirted because of injury but im pretty certain he was having issues with his grads so they redshirted him so he would concentrate on that his first year at VT.

your 2nd point....his dad has made it very apparent that VT had him playing out of position (PF) while he was there and he is looking at fiding a fit for himself that allows him to play at the wing! that much has been made very clear by his dad. So he aint coming here to play the PF spot.

Top Bottom