Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

It is the coach's job to help the player understand the right play makes him a better player and the team better. Offense is based on trust. If I trust you will get me the ball when I am open and you the same, it is a *completely* different game.

Our offense has been average. Fine implies it does not need improvement. It needs improvement.
Is there room for improvement? Sure, but we've been in the top 50 at least 4 years of Pitinos tenure so I don't find it to be a schematic issue. Player development/recruiting? Probably a better answer. Our defense has ranked lower than our offense most years and should easily be top priority and focus if we want immediate results.

It's why the transfer market makes sense for s. We can find recruits who've been part of a college system and know how to defend. Demir despite his shortcomings in speed, strength, and height was a good position defender. We need to obviously get better if we want to win more, but it's an example.

Is there room for improvement? Sure, but we've been in the top 50 at least 4 years of Pitinos tenure so I don't find it to be a schematic issue. Player development/recruiting? Probably a better answer. Our defense has ranked lower than our offense most years and should easily be top priority and focus if we want immediate results.

It's why the transfer market makes sense for s. We can find recruits who've been part of a college system and know how to defend. Demir despite his shortcomings in speed, strength, and height was a good position defender. We need to obviously get better if we want to win more, but it's an example.
Demir was a good position defender, he knew where to be. He had height, the issue was his height was the same when he was jumping as when he was standing. I feel his pain.

Nova runs six sets with read options. They actually play at a slower pace then we do, 247th.
Count the number of passes Villanova makes compared to us. I want that stat. Or just the general aggressive mentality that 'Nova plays with compared to us.

Last edited:

Is Shaka on the hot seat? I think he has a big buyout though. Shaka gets canned and Sims comes home? Probably has a sick relative somewhere in MN.

Had a basketball coach tell me this: "You treat poor free throw shooting the same way football handles fumbles, you don't talk about it. Just keep working on them (FT and Ball Control Drills) like every coach already does. The last thing you want is a kid going to the line even considering the chance they might miss.". "Don't harp on it, it just puts negativity in their mind, and you never want that.". What's interesting is that pretty much every free throw shooting drill we fans can suggest, most coaches can honestly reply "Already doing that" or "Already tried that".
WCCO had a quick interview with Oturu last night. He talked about the biggest thing to help shooting is confidence in your shot. Most of these kids have their stroke down by now, it is how much they believe it will go in for them to follow through on the shot.

Is Shaka on the hot seat? I think he has a big buyout though. Shaka gets canned and Sims comes home? Probably has a sick relative somewhere in MN.
I'm hoping for Sims. He would probably be a bigger add than Hurt? Doesn't matter I'd love to have either. That would be a great problem to have. Hell let's take 'em both. Walton can walk.

I'm hoping for Sims. He would probably be a bigger add than Hurt? Doesn't matter I'd love to have either. That would be a great problem to have. Hell let's take 'em both. Walton can walk.
I want all three.

He was. Appears he was spared by current events just like Pitino.

Count the number of passes Villanova makes compared to us. I want that stat. Or just the general aggressive mentality that 'Nova plays with compared to us.
Love that passing too but all of that takes refined skill on curls and pocket in the half court and a high IQ for the court. Plus of course they defend.

Love that passing too but all of that takes refined skill on curls and pocket in the half court and a high IQ for the court. Plus of course they defend.
Sounds a lot to me like coaching

Sounds a lot to me like coaching

To a degree it is, but it's also the reality of the players we have. It can be taught to a certain extent, but a lot of it is understanding and instincts. I don't think the overall talent/ability of our roster has been as good as some others. This is part of the reason why.

That said, put me in the column of people who think we're close. A little luck here and there would have helped. Once the train gets rolling, we'll be able to recruit at a higher level and keep some of the local stars we covet. I'm OK with Pitino being given one last chance, but if there isn't a significant jump (make it to the Big Dance and win some significant recruiting battles), this has to be the last shot.

Sorry. Forgot which forum I was in. Gotta hope for one of the big guys mentioned (Marfo, Markusson, Udeze) AND need the youth to develop fast to make the jump Pitino needs (IMO). IF (that's a big if) our freshman contribute early and show the kind of potential we saw at the end of the year from Ihnen, AND a transfer big guy averages close to a double-double, we can compete...as long as Gabe bounces back and everyone improves. Ugh.

Not that we had been connected with him or thought we needed him but looks like the top transfer out there trimmed his list

Well looks like we are in the mix for a top end rebounder. Would be a solid get and looks like a group we should be able to beat out, no big heavy hitters in there

This excites me. Rebounding is a skill that should be translate well to the big ten, even if he isn't a high end scorer.

I see we called on Ish El-Amin. Solid 13ppg at Ball State, feels like a guy we take if Greenlee moved on, otherwise might not have room for him.

I see we called on Ish El-Amin. Solid 13ppg at Ball State, feels like a guy we take if Greenlee moved on, otherwise might not have room for him.

That might be the "big time" transfer that the ticket seller was advertising. His name would be recognized by a lot of casual fans.

That might be the "big time" transfer that the ticket seller was advertising. His name would be recognized by a lot of casual fans.
That was my guess. If he’s willing to defend and willing to take a supporting role, he’d be interesting pick up.

Well looks like we are in the mix for a top end rebounder. Would be a solid get and looks like a group we should be able to beat out, no big heavy hitters in there

I'm sure we got a shot here but Marfo originally from New Jersey. Might play a factor as we hope it should with our Minnesota kids.

True, but doesn't sound like a game changer type player to me.

Very rarely you get game-changers through transfers. Marcus Carr or a Cameron Johnson from UNC are rare. You can fill out your roles nicely with them however. Nice thing about Ish is that he was a "role" guy at Hopkins and has never really been the "man" so I guessing he's ok contributing in other ways hopefully. Plus shoots 39% from 3, so if he defends he'd be another nice piece.

Very rarely you get game-changers through transfers. Marcus Carr or a Cameron Johnson from UNC are rare. You can fill out your roles nicely with them however. Nice thing about Ish is that he was a "role" guy at Hopkins and has never really been the "man" so I guessing he's ok contributing in other ways hopefully. Plus shoots 39% from 3, so if he defends he'd be another nice piece.

Thanks for the background. Shooters are always welcome. Can't help but think a near legacy recruit in TC basketball can't hurt the program either. Looks like a possible grad transfer, but not sure as he was a junior this year.

If someone puts their name in the portal, is their current school required to keep them on scholarship, or can the school use that slot to recruit someone else?

My only concern there is Buzz. Really strong recruiter.
Nailed that one built! Marfo to Texas AM

I say this will all sincerity, I wish I had the optimism/ignorant bliss of some of the people in this chat who will see this news and say, thats ok! Pitino is still a great coach, everyone will improve and we will make the tournament next year for sure!

I just must be too pessimistic because I just cant fathom how anyone can accept this level of coaching/recruiting and think the program is in a good spot. The Gophers bball team is my favorite team in any sport, I just want them to be good in the worst way, but I see no light at the end of the tunnel with the current staf. I have said over and over, I do not mind losing guys to the Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/Arizonas/Mich St's of the world, I absolutely see why kids go there over the U. But we can't consistently lose players to Texas AM, Marquette, Wisc, Xavier, and Colorado's of the world and expect to be an even middle of the pack Big 10 team. I guess the positive for next year is that we are never getting Holmgren so firing Pitino wont cost us him, but we just need to hope the coach in 2021 has enough time to convince the likes of Heide/Aligbe/etc to come here in 2022 and following.

Top Bottom