Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

If we are willing to look at Carton from OSU, I wonder if we would re-engage with Sherfield from Wichita? It seemed like Lindsted also had a pretty good relationship with him.

If we are willing to look at Carton from OSU, I wonder if we would re-engage with Sherfield from Wichita? It seemed like Lindsted also had a pretty good relationship with him.

I don't think you can draw parallels between those 2 players. The Gophers have other needs to fill, PG not being one of them. You make an exception for star level talent like Carton and make it work if he wants to come here.

Can the same be said to justify Sherfield? I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think so.

First off, im not sure we are working with just 1 scholarship, thinking we have at least 2 if not 3 open. Furthermore, in college you just take talent and figure it out. Villanova had a great team a few years ago where they essentially started 4 point guards. Give me a way more talented guy than a fit guy like Demir all day, make the other team adjust to your talent not vice versa.

Holy sh*t. Just saw that SIX Wichita State players have now said they are transferring!

What is happening with Marshall at WSU?! Wonder how Sherfield is feeling about his choice?

EDIT: I guess Sherfield was one of those 6. Wow

posted a separate thread on this 10 days ago....crazy.. Marshall must be a real gem to play for

First off, im not sure we are working with just 1 scholarship, thinking we have at least 2 if not 3 open. Furthermore, in college you just take talent and figure it out. Villanova had a great team a few years ago where they essentially started 4 point guards. Give me a way more talented guy than a fit guy like Demir all day, make the other team adjust to your talent not vice versa.

2 of Oturu stays...3 if he goes. and you never know if someone from the Gophers wants to transfer, although I don't think it happens this year

2 of Oturu stays...3 if he goes. and you never know if someone from the Gophers wants to transfer, although I don't think it happens this year
I think we only have one right now, technically.

We graduate Demir/Hurt/Rudrud.

We gain Mashburn/Mitchell. That leaves one.

Oturu is likely gone. Probably two.

Decent chance someone else leaves, just because, so that's possibly three.

Or am I missing someone?

If Curry medically retired, but I haven't heard anything like that. Seems like the opposite, he's going to give it another go at a lower weight and hope that does the trick.

I think the Gophers are in really good shape to find a nice big man transfer for a number of reasons:
1. Staff can point to development of Oturu
2. The probability that Oturu leaves is high so big minutes are coming open
3. Even if Oturu stays he has the flexibility to play time at the PF alongside another big if needed. I love the defensive possibilities of Carr, Kalsch, Ihnen, Oturu and low post bruiser or shot blocker

If the gophers can land Carlton or Sherfield you take them in a heartbeat and it's not really a question. You can never have too many ball handlers, especially in our ball screen offense. Grabbing a big like the kid from LMU or Wichita State would be an absolute haul with Mitchell and Mashburn.

If the gophers can land Carlton or Sherfield you take them in a heartbeat and it's not really a question. You can never have too many ball handlers, especially in our ball screen offense. Grabbing a big like the kid from LMU or Wichita State would be an absolute haul with Mitchell and Mashburn.
A haul? Badger disagrees with you.

I agree on Carton, but Sherfield was the 6th leading scorer on a mid-major team and shot 35% from the field. I'd rather save a scholarship than take him. As for the big from WSU, are you talking about Udeze? A guy who averaged 4 and 3 at a mid-major? Why would we want him?

I agree on Carton, but Sherfield was the 6th leading scorer on a mid-major team and shot 35% from the field. I'd rather save a scholarship than take him. As for the big from WSU, are you talking about Udeze? A guy who averaged 4 and 3 at a mid-major? Why would we want him?
So now we don't want a guy that a lot of us were crossing our fingers for a year ago, had better stats than Tre Williams while playing for a better team last year, and would be a major upgrade over BJ Greenlee?

So now we don't want a guy that a lot of us were crossing our fingers for a year ago, had better stats than Tre Williams while playing for a better team last year, and would be a major upgrade over BJ Greenlee?
Agreed, we sometimes forget how much freshmen can improve. I would take him.

Against our only common opponent, Oklahoma, Grant Sherfield played 25 minutes, shot 4-8, 6-6 FT's (74% on the season), 6 rebs, 3 ast, no turnovers and no fouls. And Wichita State won.

Tre Williams (who I like) played 17 minutes in our loss, shot 1-4, 1-2 FT, with 3 rebs and 1 ast, 4 PF's.

Sample size of n=1 is obviously not worth that much, but Sherfield clearly has some game and we are not in a position to turn away players of his caliber when we have players on our roster we can't trust to even play a minute.

Agreed, we sometimes forget how much freshmen can improve. I would take him.

Against our only common opponent, Oklahoma, Grant Sherfield played 25 minutes, shot 4-8, 6-6 FT's (74% on the season), 6 rebs, 3 ast, no turnovers and no fouls. And Wichita State won.

Tre Williams (who I like) played 17 minutes in our loss, shot 1-4, 1-2 FT, with 3 rebs and 1 ast, 4 PF's.

Sample size of n=1 is obviously not worth that much, but Sherfield clearly has some game and we are not in a position to turn away players of his caliber when we have players on our roster we can't trust to even play a minute.

He was also playing in what can charitably be described as a dysfunctional situation. He should be given the benefit of the doubt.

My comment was made with the assumption that no one transfers. I would take Sherfield over Greenlee and maybe Williams too if that were an option. I don't love the idea of taking a transfer and then telling someone to leave, but if they decide to leave on their own first, then obviously my interest in taking a guard like Sherfield increases.

Until someone transfers, I'm only really interested in taking a center or high-level guard who is too good to pass up, like Walton or Carton.

My comment was made with the assumption that no one transfers. I would take Sherfield over Greenlee and maybe Williams too if that were an option. I don't love the idea of taking a transfer and then telling someone to leave, but if they decide to leave on their own first, then obviously my interest in taking a guard like Sherfield increases.

Until someone transfers, I'm only really interested in taking a center or high-level guard who is too good to pass up, like Walton or Carton.
Makes sense. I'd prioritize Walton and Carton too over Sherfield, but Sherfield would be a heck of a parting gift if we miss out on those two.

I also think that if we sign Sherfield, Greenlee sees the writing on the wall and gets out, opening up another offer. So in my head we could get him and still have room for Walton. Wouldn't make sense to go after Sherfield if you think you can get DJ, but if you don't think that's gonna happen go for Sherfield and let the chips fall.

Question is, should we try to move on the C from LMU early or wait to hear from Oturu? If we move and Daniel stays, that's it. I know they could theoretically play alongside each other but you're not getting the best bang for your buck that way. No Walton, no Carton, no Sherfield. If we don't, he signs elsewhere, no Daniel, who knows what shows up on the C market later.

In college basketball it's beneficial to be old. I'm also not worried about our offense. I want guys who can defend. Both of those guys can add quality minutes. We won't replace Oturo's production with one guy, but I see improvement of our other guys like Gabe, Marcus, and Tre as well.

I tend to agree with you when it comes to Sherfield and Udeze. To play devil's advocate, Udeze has shown he can be quite productive when given adequate PT. (He'd be averaging 13 and 8 per game if given the minutes Oturu garnered.

That being said, there are things working against him...
1) He fouls at an extremely high rate preventing him from ever getting significant minutes. He fouls even more than Omersa... that's saying something.
2) Frankly, he's short for a center. Not as big of a deal in today's day and age, but worth noting if he's going to be coming over to the B1G, probably the biggest/most physical conf in the country.
3) He's going to have to sit a year. Do we want to burn a scholarship next year on someone who can't play? Our primary need for a center is going to come next year, with Treyton coming in the following year, although Treyton surely won't be expected to start right away.

Bottom line: Might be smart to push hard for Patrick Tape, Markusson, or another big who has yet to put his name in the portal who has immediate eligibility. But, there are lots of notable programs who have Udeze high on their radar. That must say something about his abilities.

Is Carton even a remote possibility? He's going to be pursued by every team. And obviously he's really struggling with life in general. Feel bad for the kid - seems incredibly talented.

Is Carton even a remote possibility? He's going to be pursued by every team. And obviously he's really struggling with life in general. Feel bad for the kid - seems incredibly talented.

Blue bloods aren't involved (yet) which definitely helps. DJ wants to go somewhere where he can start. While I'm sure even he hasn't begun to fully evaluate his options yet, have to think Creighton, Illinois, Nebraska, Oregon, and Seton Hall will be among serious considerations from him. It's going to still be an outside shot he comes to the Gophers but one worth watching.

One program i don't expect to be a threat: Iowa. With Toussaint, McCaffrey, and Fredrick all looking like 4 year players and big time pieces at guard, not sure Iowa even has a spot to sell him, with DJ looking to be a focal point somewhere.

Blue bloods aren't involved (yet) which definitely helps. DJ wants to go somewhere where he can start. While I'm sure even he hasn't begun to fully evaluate his options yet, have to think Creighton, Illinois, Nebraska, Oregon, and Seton Hall will be among serious considerations from him. It's going to still be an outside shot he comes to the Gophers but one worth watching.

One program i don't expect to be a threat: Iowa. With Toussaint, McCaffrey, and Fredrick all looking like 4 year players and big time pieces at guard, not sure Iowa even has a spot to sell him, with DJ looking to be a focal point somewhere.
Interesting. Thanks for the inof. So we have to watch for shady Fred at the new transfer U. I assume he will have to sit out a year? Sorry if this was discussed previously.

I tend to agree with you when it comes to Sherfield and Udeze. To play devil's advocate, Udeze has shown he can be quite productive when given adequate PT. (He'd be averaging 13 and 8 per game if given the minutes Oturu garnered.

That being said, there are things working against him...
1) He fouls at an extremely high rate preventing him from ever getting significant minutes. He fouls even more than Omersa... that's saying something.
2) Frankly, he's short for a center. Not as big of a deal in today's day and age, but worth noting if he's going to be coming over to the B1G, probably the biggest/most physical conf in the country.
3) He's going to have to sit a year. Do we want to burn a scholarship next year on someone who can't play? Our primary need for a center is going to come next year, with Treyton coming in the following year, although Treyton surely won't be expected to start right away.

Bottom line: Might be smart to push hard for Patrick Tape, Markusson, or another big who has yet to put his name in the portal who has immediate eligibility. But, there are lots of notable programs who have Udeze high on their radar. That must say something about his abilities.

1. He fouled at a rate of 9.0 fouls/40 minutes. That's incredible. Jarvis was at 6.9/40 minutes. Guys can sometimes decrease this rate when they increase their minutes (Oturu went from 6.7 to 4.7 per 40) but yeah I wouldn't count on more than 20 minutes a game from this guy. I read a post on Shockernet that said he was good at finishing at the rim and taking charges but was bad at defense.
2. Noted and agreed.
3. Will he have to sit? I heard his aunt had a long layover at MSP a few years back and the NCAA is willing to consider him for a hardship waiver. Honestly at this point who the heck knows who will get them.

He is also old, which I like for post guys. It looks like he did a post grad year at Montverde Academy and would turn 21 this season.

I also read some speculation on their forum that he might take a redshirt last season because he had shoulder surgery in February of 2019. His minutes also tailed off in the second half of this season so maybe he was never fully healthy.

I would prefer to take someone immediately eligible.

1. He fouled at a rate of 9.0 fouls/40 minutes. That's incredible. Jarvis was at 6.9/40 minutes. Guys can sometimes decrease this rate when they increase their minutes (Oturu went from 6.7 to 4.7 per 40) but yeah I wouldn't count on more than 20 minutes a game from this guy. I read a post on Shockernet that said he was good at finishing at the rim and taking charges but was bad at defense.
2. Noted and agreed.
3. Will he have to sit? I heard his aunt had a long layover at MSP a few years back and the NCAA is willing to consider him for a hardship waiver. Honestly at this point who the heck knows who will get them.

He is also old, which I like for post guys. It looks like he did a post grad year at Montverde Academy and would turn 21 this season.

I also read some speculation on their forum that he might take a redshirt last season because he had shoulder surgery in February of 2019. His minutes also tailed off in the second half of this season so maybe he was never fully healthy.

I would prefer to take someone immediately eligible.
We need to remember that transfers will most likely all be eligible. Pitino said as much in his blog.

^ I was going to say something like this but take a lot more words to do it.

I know we all have to be bitter and jaded because we got screwed by Carr not getting cleared a couple years ago, but it really is unpredictable at this point and I'd take all transfers thinking you've got a better than 50-50 shot at getting them eligible immediately for any random reason.

Minnesota: [Richard Pitino] wants to have a center come in and play right away.

Arizona State: Romello White...they’re losing him, so they’re thinking about having someone like me come in too. [he is a junior, so Udeze seems to be referring to them losing him after next season)

Butler: They want me to come in, redshirt and then play. Most likely, I’m going to have to sit out with the NCAA rules.

Thanks for sharing the article. So we are telling him he can come play right away, but he says with Butler he would have to most likely sit out? And ASU wants him for 2021-2022 season?

Pitino seems very confident he will be able to get guys eligible. I hope he is right!

Top Bottom