Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Why are you even talking about guards and perimeter players?

In case you are forgetting your returning front court players are:
Jarvis Omersa - 6'6" PF with a "j" in his name only.
Sam Freeman - 6'11" SO C Raw would be a good description but I haven't seen enough of him.
Curry - 6'9" PF/C RS JR Coming off his second ACL on his second leg. Not sure what to expect from this "Outstanding Young Man" as Lou Holtz would describe him. I hope he is great! But if I had to bet my job on him I'd be hedging that bet.
Isaih Ihnen - 6'9" so PF/SF - Really is more perimeter than down low player at this point. I almost didn't list him here at all.
Markice Mitchell - 6'10" stick Fr PF/SF More like Ihnen than a banger certainly not a B1G center without a serious meal plan.

So, Those 2 available scholarships? Oturu returning would fill one beautifully! But he is most likely gone. So get a Banger who can get some boards and provide a defensive presence and put all your recruiting chips in on getting Walton. Can't go through another season with poor shooting. one good shooter can infect the team like the virus! Which is why the only kind of transfer we should be after is a big defensive rebounding monster who can command the lane and make it easy for Carr to drive and kick it out to our shooters. Let the Big Dog hunt the boards and reload the marksmen. That is what Pitino has wanted to do since he got here.

I agree with this completely.

Last year, our three guards all played more than 30 minutes per game. Carr and Kalscheur played like 38 minutes per game. I get that there is an assumption that Williams and maybe Greenlee will be able to take on more minutes, but if they can't, we are ridiculously thin at guard, even with Mashburn.

There are 120 minutes to spread around the two wings and the point.
Carr - 32
Kalsheur - 32
Willis - 25
Mashburn - 17
Grad Transfer/Williams/Greenlee - 14

The incredible thing is that there was multiple people saying that Sherfield shouldn't really be a take because we had too many guards. Of course this was before Greenlee committed but it just shows that you really want to be able to count on 5, which we arguably only had 3 or 4.

I don’t know much about Murphy from Pitt, but I watched their game against FSU (Pitt won) and Murphy was awesome. Shot the ball really well. Also, the last time we had a Murphy on the team and the last time we had a transfer from Pitt, both of those worked out pretty well for us... ?

Casting a wide net is fine and I am operating under the assumption that Greenlee will not be back. The Gophers will still have Carr and will add Mashburn as a 6'1 guard. They bring back Kalscheur and Willis as 6'4 guards. That's 4 scholarships to guys 6'4 and under and only Carr is a point guard among them. If we were to add Murphy that wouldn't add to our PG options and mean we'd have 4 scholarships locked in to guys who were primarily 2's. We would still need a PG behind Carr which would mean 6 of the 13 scholarships would end up going to guys 6'4 and under.

Casting a wide net is fine and I am operating under the assumption that Greenlee will not be back. The Gophers will still have Carr and will add Mashburn as a 6'1 guard. They bring back Kalscheur and Willis as 6'4 guards. That's 4 scholarships to guys 6'4 and under and only Carr is a point guard among them. If we were to add Murphy that wouldn't add to our PG options and mean we'd have 4 scholarships locked in to guys who were primarily 2's. We would still need a PG behind Carr which would mean 6 of the 13 scholarships would end up going to guys 6'4 and under.
I feel like there were definitely some games we lost this season because Carr got too tired at the end.

Sam Freeman - 6'11" SO C Raw would be a good description but I haven't seen enough of him.
Curry - 6'9" PF/C RS JR Coming off his second ACL on his second leg. Not sure what to expect from this "Outstanding Young Man" as Lou Holtz would describe him. I hope he is great! But if I had to bet my job on him I'd be hedging that bet.
Isaih Ihnen - 6'9" so PF/SF - Really is more perimeter than down low player at this point. I almost didn't list him here at all.
Markice Mitchell - 6'10" stick Fr PF/SF More like Ihnen than a banger certainly not a B1G center without a serious meal plan.

So, Those 2 available scholarships? Oturu returning would fill one beautifully! But he is most likely gone. So get a Banger who can get some boards and provide a defensive presence and put all your recruiting chips in on getting Walton. Can't go through another season with poor shooting. one good shooter can infect the team like the virus! Which is why the only kind of transfer we should be after is a big defensive rebounding monster who can command the lane and make it easy for Carr to drive and kick it out to our shooters. Let the Big Dog hunt the boards and reload the marksmen. That is what Pitino has wanted to do since he got here.

This is not true. He can shoot, so he spreads the floor on defense but he will and pretty much only has defended 4's. Ihnen is a post player who can shoot.

Add Trey McGowens, who visited here before committing to Pitt

Last edited:

I think Pitino can only add Graduate transfers at this point, if kids are aware of his blazing seat. He's got 1 year in him, so any of these other recruits with multiple years really wouldn't make sense unless they're totally unaware but I would think they hear from others involved in their recruiting when a coach is not long for his job.

I agree with your post but Isaiah did show some inside ability later in the year and he does have good size and appears to have a good wingspan. But, yes, of course they do need to get someone with size and weight (the banger you refer to).

Wondering what the odds are of going after Ohio State transfer DJ Carton to pair him with Carr in what would be an elite backcourt?

Why it could make sense...
1) Gophers recruited him out of high school (led by Ed Conroy)
2) He's from Iowa and could be looking to get closer to home in light of mental health issues. (guarantee he'll be given a waiver to play this next season)
3) He played in a game here at Williams Arena that was probably the most electric atmosphere of any game this season. He may have a lasting impression of that in his mind.

Wondering what the odds are of going after Ohio State transfer DJ Carton to pair him with Carr in what would be an elite backcourt?

2) He's from Iowa and could be looking to get closer to home in light of mental health issues. (guarantee he'll be given a waiver to play this next season)
3) He played in a game here at Williams Arena that was probably the most electric atmosphere of any game this season. He may have a lasting impression of that in his mind.

He was also the best player on the court that night outside of Daniel. Outstanding player and if he can perform that well under the personal duress he was experiencing, how good could he be when he is well?

Probably not good news for the possible return of Oturu

He was also the best player on the court that night outside of Daniel. Outstanding player and if he can perform that well under the personal duress he was experiencing, how good could he be when he is well?
Marcus Carr had 35 points in that game and won it nearly by himself. He wasn't the best player on the floor that night???

Does Mattius have a Third Reich style hair-do like Mats? if so, I'm in.

One would think with a former Wichita State assistant currently on the Minnesota staff, that the Gophers would have to be in on the 6 or 7 guys leaving Gregg Marshall and the Shockers, maybe? Several of the 6 or 7 are Big Ten quality players.

Oooohhhhhhh....who ELSE has "been contacted by the Gophers??"

Certain Gopherholers are giddy with the excitement of it all.
Yeah why contact players like this when a guy like you would just pay some players.....

Gophers are in on a 6'8" 240lb Shocker Sophomore.

With all that's going on right now, gotta think visits will be limited, giving advantages to teams that had previously recruited players.

Gophers are in on a 6'8" 240lb Shocker Sophomore.
This makes sense. Seems most likely of the names we've listed.

He would have to sit out a year I believe though?

Last edited:

Unless he gets a waiver.

Almost wonder if NCAA will just give a blanket waiver this year.

In that case, we should target Queta from Utah State !

His coach could be here the year after. :cool:

Holy sh*t. Just saw that SIX Wichita State players have now said they are transferring!

What is happening with Marshall at WSU?! Wonder how Sherfield is feeling about his choice?

EDIT: I guess Sherfield was one of those 6. Wow

Top Bottom