Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Exactly. Very few stand out as great coaches,teachers,leaders. The best ones win when they have less than others and still win.
Maybe some/most don't agree, but I still think Pitino could grow into that guy. If he's not, then time to move on. It's fair for those to say they don't think he will be. Tryin' to keep the faith.

Maybe some/most don't agree, but I still think Pitino could grow into that guy. If he's not, then time to move on. It's fair for those to say they don't think he will be. Tryin' to keep the faith.
Hope your right. To be continued in a Pitino thread.

Between Johnson (6'8), Curry (6'9), Omersa (6'6), Ihnen (6'9), and even Mitchell (6'10) I just don't see it being that "small" if two of those guys are on the floor considering the length and athleticism they all have too. I'm not even accounting for Freeman (6'10) here as well. It'd be a little more nontraditional for us as we've liked to have the low post scoring threat, but it's the type of basketball so many others are playing anyways. It's tough to compare, but I think if they defend it's easily better. It really to me is all on that one area.

Yeah, offensively nice to have that low post threat but a more spread out offense can be effective too. Another team's center might have trouble guarding Johnson away from the basket for sure.
Agree that the issue would be teams that have a low post big. Was really nice to have Oturu last year who could take that away.
College sports all about coaching. Pitino gets the talent, needs to learn more about how to get guys playing together and more cohesive, just generally working hands on with his players. This lineup gets into the NCAA tournament with decent coaching with or without Robbins.

Don't get your confidence without Robbins. Gach and Gabe coming off poor shooting seasons. Hard to know how much Ihnen will improve. Could go on with ifs. Robbins will certainly add to us defensively and rebounding. Also Is a proven scorer. Just feel much better chance of success with him than without.

Most coaches to focus the majority of the offseason on offensive skills and conditioning but too often kids put up 300-400 shots a day and work out, do some ball handling but only a few stress drills of being low and wide, it is super tedious and to do it after workouts even more so. Will guys pay the price to never lose due too fatigue. Will guys drill to get 9 stops in a row when shots are not falling. We had guys last year that were soft when it came to conditioning. Team defense does come together in team practices. But you better get work done now. That is why, this year more than others the veteran teams have a big advantage. One of those great coaches explained it this way on the offseason. He told his players if you come back in the fall and can not destroy both mentally and physically the player you were last year, you will not play. Our task is doable but we have so many guys that are poor at low and wide that it disgusts me. Thanks for the healthy exchange of thoughts and insights.
Thanks built, this is good insight. It is all of the little things and fundamentals that add up to success.

Yeah, offensively nice to have that low post threat but a more spread out offense can be effective too. Another team's center might have trouble guarding Johnson away from the basket for sure.
Agree that the issue would be teams that have a low post big. Was really nice to have Oturu last year who could take that away.

Don't get your confidence without Robbins. Gach and Gabe coming off poor shooting seasons. Hard to know how much Ihnen will improve. Could go on with ifs. Robbins will certainly add to us defensively and rebounding. Also Is a proven scorer. Just feel much better chance of success with him than without.
Totally agree. Robbins is a stud from all the reports and insight about him. I expect Gabe to shoot the ball better. Carr is very good and should be all-conference this year. Johnson seems like he can fill a nice role and add some scoring/rebounding. Ihnen should be better this year. I understand we don't know if these guys are gonna get better but I do feel it's a better chance than not that you get improvement out of them. How much, who knows.
Yeah don't get me wrong Robbins would be high impact for us and I want him this year. Just thinking preparation if for some reason he did not get his waiver.

He's a lousy defender. He's not assured to go in the first.
I would go much further and say that he is highly unlikely to go in the first. If he doesn't get to work out for teams it will hurt him even more.

I would go much further and say that he is highly unlikely to go in the first. If he doesn't get to work out for teams it will hurt him even more.
You could be right, but I'm goin' 1st round at some point due to talent and potential.

Totally agree. Robbins is a stud from all the reports and insight about him. I expect Gabe to shoot the ball better. Carr is very good and should be all-conference this year. Johnson seems like he can fill a nice role and add some scoring/rebounding. Ihnen should be better this year. I understand we don't know if these guys are gonna get better but I do feel it's a better chance than not that you get improvement out of them. How much, who knows.
Yeah don't get me wrong Robbins would be high impact for us and I want him this year. Just thinking preparation if for some reason he did not get his waiver.

Totally agree. I expect Gabe to shoot better as well. Expect Carr and Johnson to be very good. Just think our chances of dancing without Robbins are nil so am probaby a little more pessimistic than you on that front.

Last edited:

McClung to Texas Tech. Beard will help him become even better. I’d put him in All American talks.

NCAA already approved Juzang's waiver for next season (obvious yes anyways). I hope this is a sign that they will make quicker work of them if possible.

NCAA already approved Juzang's waiver for next season (obvious yes anyways). I hope this is a sign that they will make quicker work of them if possible.
i HOPE SO AS WELL, but they have far more to through than last year and he had a very easy case.

i HOPE SO AS WELL, but they have far more to through than last year and he had a very easy case.
Let's get gach signed and take care of 2 more easy waivers by the end of the weekend. By monday both gach and robbins will be approved. Wouldnt that be great news haha

That would be very helpful.
Yeah it would. Maybe it's just me, but I just dont see the ncaa being all that strict on approving waivers this year. One reason being because of covid-19 and the other reason being that they are going to approve the transfer rule next year anyway.

Covid will be clear cut for those going directly home. The transfer rule will be modified next year to include coaches being fired, quitting, moving on. The rest not so sure as 95% of coaches are against it and it has huge ramifications academically. Read Rothstein on 5 reasons that it is a problem just going ahead.
Here it is.
Robs scholarships as some will not fill 13 and leave two open , that can be 100's of kids that do not get a chance.
Grad rates take a hit as tons of credits do not transfer.
Even more tampering then now. For example, Duke and Kentucky take our best player.
Mid majors become junior colleges, that is really bad for basketball.
Roster turnover hurts continuity.

Last edited:

Maybe I should start another thread on this topic, but I think Ihnen has STUD written all over him. And to my eyes it doesn't take much to see it. Anyone else see what I see?

Covid will be clear cut for those going directly home. The transfer rule will be modified next year to include coaches being fired, quitting, moving on. The rest not so sure as 95% of coaches are against it and it has huge ramifications academically. Read Rothstein on 5 reasons that it is a problem just going ahead.
Here it is.
Robs scholarships as some will not fill 13 and leave two open , that can be 100's of kids that do not get a chance.
Grad rates take a hit as tons of credits do not transfer.
Even more tampering then now. For example, Duke and Kentucky take our best player.
Mid majors become junior colleges, that is really bad for basketball.
Roster turnover hurts continuity.

I really hope this doesn't happen. I'm definitely in favor of allowing for a coach change for whatever reason and the grad transfer exception but nothing else. I'd rather the subjectivity be removed from transfers altogether. I realize we won't go backwards.

I know we're all in on Both Gach and that's the way it should be, but how about Justin Smith? Kid is a quality transfer and a shame we don't have a spot for him if he had any interest in being here. I like his game. Another big wing type.

He’s a shot-maker but, damn, is that shot low and out front. Does he get it blocked much?

Top Bottom