Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

I wonder how the 2020-2021 basketball season will ultimately play out in a covid world, and I wonder how that may affect Pitino’s urgency with the last scholarship.

If the season and/or practice time is interrupted or cut short at all, to what degree will ADs hold coaches responsible on the other side of this? I bet not all that much if their roster is balanced going into the next year. The public is going to be so sport starved that I don’t anticipate a typical amount of uproar.

And if I’m a coach that’s not on the hot seat, I’m using this offseason transfer market to position myself for the 2021-2022 season. Pitino is in an interesting spot with his red hot seat, of course, but I have a feeling this season is going to be a crap shoot - so why not stack the deck for the future.

I wonder how the 2020-2021 basketball season will ultimately play out in a covid world, and I wonder how that may affect Pitino’s urgency with the last scholarship.

If the season and/or practice time is interrupted or cut short at all, to what degree will ADs hold coaches responsible on the other side of this? I bet not all that much if their roster is balanced going into the next year. The public is going to be so sport starved that I don’t anticipate a typical amount of uproar.

And if I’m a coach that’s not on the hot seat, I’m using this offseason transfer market to position myself for the 2021-2022 season. Pitino is in an interesting spot with his red hot seat, of course, but I have a feeling this season is going to be a crap shoot - so why not stack the deck for the future.
The Bluebloods grab enough talent every year but the rest should always be thinking 3-4 years out and on some prospects longer. The best ones are always working on a longer vision because if your not your always recruiting from behind. They build with high character first so that will be the foundation of the culture. Easy to say from where i sit. Love the power of a cohesive experienced roster but i suppose if i were Pitino i would be scrambling for players that can help right now. If on the other hand his boss told him your here for the next 3 years no matter what than i know getting a longer term player is the best play.

That is harsh. Not any insight to the sport but at least they understand that excuses are for losers.
Well, no one has the great insight and knowledge that our BADGER has. And certainly no one can be politically correct more than #excusesareforlosers.
Facts.

Compliment that you know excuses are for losers. The rest is about your attacks directly to me.
Built, you know that I have stood up for you on many occasions. If you want to call my pointing out your constant underhanded criticism of the program as personal attacks, then so be it. I understand that you have your own opinions and are welcome to express them. I understand (all too well) that you do not like Pitino's coaching. I understand that you have your opinions on how a program should be run, but that doesn't mean it is the only successful way to run a program. Hopefully you can understand that some people still see promise in Pitino and that you shouldn't attack them as not knowing anything about basketball or that they want to accept mediocre results. Try to keep the high ground. Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

Built, you know that I have stood up for you on many occasions. If you want to call my pointing out your constant underhanded criticism of the program as personal attacks, then so be it. I understand that you have your own opinions and are welcome to express them. I understand (all too well) that you do not like Pitino's coaching. I understand that you have your opinions on how a program should be run, but that doesn't mean it is the only successful way to run a program. Hopefully you can understand that some people still see promise in Pitino and that you shouldn't attack them as not knowing anything about basketball or that they want to accept mediocre results. Try to keep the high ground. Sorry for taking the thread off topic.
Great post. Appreciate your stance. Your right, i should not assume they know nothing or judge their standards for what they think is good. We all have our own.

It would be great to see Gach commit and lock it all up for us. I'd feel good about us going into the year even if Robbins didn't get that waiver. I tend to think that Robbins w/ family and Gach being from here that they would both get waivers. That just seems sensible from a perspective where you don't overthink it as the NCAA.

It would be great to see Gach commit and lock it all up for us. I'd feel good about us going into the year even if Robbins didn't get that waiver. I tend to think that Robbins w/ family and Gach being from here that they would both get waivers. That just seems sensible from a perspective where you don't overthink it as the NCAA.
So you're saying neither have a chance in hell at getting a waiver? :cool:

Don't we kind of need a PG just in case Carr has delusions of grandeur?

Don't we kind of need a PG just in case Carr has delusions of grandeur?

Not if he told Pitino he's coming back. I'm sure our coaches have a better read on Carr's intentions than we do.

And I believe Gach is good at creating off the dribble and could potentially play an Amir Coffey type role if we're desperate.

I find it amusing that some posters seem to be worried that the Gophers might wind up with so much talent that good players want to transfer because they're not getting enough playing time.

If that's a problem, give me that problem every year.

IMHO, good players respond to competition. If someone is pushing them for playing time, it makes the whole team better.

I would much rather have 'too many' good players as opposed to having 3 or 4 warm bodies on the end of the bench wearing uniforms that will never get sweat on them during a game that matters.

And re: small ball. If Robbins doesn't get a waiver, the entire season is going to be small ball. Unless Curry makes a miraculous recovery and can play major minutes at the post.

I find it amusing that some posters seem to be worried that the Gophers might wind up with so much talent that good players want to transfer because they're not getting enough playing time.

If that's a problem, give me that problem every year.

IMHO, good players respond to competition. If someone is pushing them for playing time, it makes the whole team better.

I would much rather have 'too many' good players as opposed to having 3 or 4 warm bodies on the end of the bench wearing uniforms that will never get sweat on them during a game that matters.

And re: small ball. If Robbins doesn't get a waiver, the entire season is going to be small ball. Unless Curry makes a miraculous recovery and can play major minutes at the post.
What is the word on Curry? Is there reason to think he can or can’t play a few minutes. Haven’t heard anything about his prognosis.

curry's main concern would be his first knee operation more severe ligament damage then knee number 2...that being said he is expected to be good to go. How much athleticism he regains is an unknown, additionally he is at increased risk for additional ACL injuries

Gotta get Robbins. Wonder when they'll start making decisions on waivers. Potentially dancing with him. Weakling Wednesday without him.

Gotta get Robbins. Wonder when they'll start making decisions on waivers. Potentially dancing with him. Weakling Wednesday without him.
I really think the talent level with or without Robbins we should be dancing (w/ Gach). Robbins just takes us next level.

My opinion doesn't mean we'll be dancing unfortunately.

I really think the talent level with or without Robbins we should be dancing (w/ Gach). Robbins just takes us next level.

One of the big intangibles for me is that there could be alot of players on this roster that have not played with each other before. If you are not a blue blood school to me one of the best things is experience with each other. We had that with the 97 final four team they played with each other for a couple seasons. I guess it is obviously how these players mesh together.

One of the big intangibles for me is that there could be alot of players on this roster that have not played with each other before. If you are not a blue blood school to me one of the best things is experience with each other. We had that with the 97 final four team they played with each other for a couple seasons. I guess it is obviously how these players mesh together.
Coaching seems like it can expedite that process by doing different things with team bonding, practice drills, etc. I know it won't be perfect but you can do things as a coach to help those players along.

Sounds like if we did get Gach, it would be around the same time Carr would announce he's coming back because they're both waiting on NBA draft process review. I had thought Gach already officially pulled his name from the draft.

Coaching seems like it can expedite that process by doing different things with team bonding, practice drills, etc. I know it won't be perfect but you can do things as a coach to help those players along.
yes.. they should plan a trip to Europe for this year.

Wow, and I thought I was an optimist.
Just too many question marks for my taste. Gach and Gabe's 3 point shooting? German KD's development?
Freshmen contribution? Curry, Omersa? Not to mention how we would defend and rebound with small ball. My opinion is we need the big guy but annoys me that I am the pessimist :cautious:

Top Bottom