Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

I like the idea. But with that covid-19 doubtful unless vaccine becomes available.
Well with the athletic department financially strapped not sure if a trip to Europe will be in the cards. Well be lucky to go to madison square garden to play iona!

Gotta get Robbins. Wonder when they'll start making decisions on waivers. Potentially dancing with him. Weakling Wednesday without him.
Not at all saying you're wrong. But ... Oturu was pretty good, no?

Wow, and I thought I was an optimist.
Just too many question marks for my taste. Gach and Gabe's 3 point shooting? German KD's development?
Freshmen contribution? Curry, Omersa? Not to mention how we would defend and rebound with small ball. My opinion is we need the big guy but annoys me that I am the pessimist :cautious:

Fair points on the question marks, but besides Wisconsin and most likely Iowa, who doesn't have a ton of questions about next year? Everyone is losing something big besides those two (assuming Garza comes back). We have to go after past history, plus rosters are not done yet. If we don't get Robbins a waiver and we don't get Gach we still have this:

G- Carr, Mashburn

W- Gabe, Williams, Mutaf

F/Post- Johnson, Ihnen, Omersa, Curry, Mitchell

That is plenty of guys who can play and defend. Top going to win a B1G, but if they defend well they would make the tournament easily imo. Now the idea that we actually defend is a fair question to ask as the previous history has not shown us to be able to do so at a high level except for 1 season. That is where my questions and worries will be, not on roster talent.

Not at all saying you're wrong. But ... Oturu was pretty good, no?

Yes, Oturu carried a lot of the load last season and now he is gone. Seems like you are making my point. Not sure I understand.

Yes, Oturu carried a lot of the load last season and now he is gone. Seems like you are making my point. Not sure I understand.
I'm saying, you seem to be saying that Robbins would lift us into the next tier. But we had a guy who was arguably the best we've had at the position in quite some time, and we did not get lifted into the next tier.

Fair points on the question marks, but besides Wisconsin and most likely Iowa, who doesn't have a ton of questions about next year? Everyone is losing something big besides those two (assuming Garza comes back). We have to go after past history, plus rosters are not done yet. If we don't get Robbins a waiver and we don't get Gach we still have this:

G- Carr, Mashburn

W- Gabe, Williams, Mutaf

That is plenty of guys who can play and defend. Top going to win a B1G, but if they defend well they would make the tournament easily imo. Now the idea that we actually defend is a fair question to ask as the previous history has not shown us to be able to do so at a high level except for 1 season. That is where my questions and worries will be, not on roster talent.

Yeah, just difficult for me to see but you aren't the only one to think that that small ball lineup can win so maybe I'm wrong.
Hope so. Do you think that that small ball lineup is as good as our team last season?

I'm saying, you seem to be saying that Robbins would lift us into the next tier. But we had a guy who was arguably the best we've had at the position in quite some time, and we did not get lifted into the next tier.

Oh, got it. Am banking on significant improvement from Gabe and German KD. Would think Johnson will give us a lot more than Demir. Will have a deeper team. There are certainly some ifs involved that need to break our way. We dont need to improve a lot from last season. Will depend of course too on status of other teams.

Yeah, just difficult for me to see but you aren't the only one to think that that small ball lineup can win so maybe I'm wrong.
Hope so. Do you think that that small ball lineup is as good as our team last season?

Between Johnson (6'8), Curry (6'9), Omersa (6'6), Ihnen (6'9), and even Mitchell (6'10) I just don't see it being that "small" if two of those guys are on the floor considering the length and athleticism they all have too. I'm not even accounting for Freeman (6'10) here as well. It'd be a little more nontraditional for us as we've liked to have the low post scoring threat, but it's the type of basketball so many others are playing anyways. It's tough to compare, but I think if they defend it's easily better. It really to me is all on that one area.

Between Johnson (6'8), Curry (6'9), Omersa (6'6), Ihnen (6'9), and even Mitchell (6'10) I just don't see it being that "small" if two of those guys are on the floor considering the length and athleticism they all have too. I'm not even accounting for Freeman (6'10) here as well. It'd be a little more nontraditional for us as we've liked to have the low post scoring threat, but it's the type of basketball so many others are playing anyways. It's tough to compare, but I think if they defend it's easily better. It really to me is all on that one area.
Agree with every word of that and will always add the unknown and rarely thought of , what have others added and how much did they improve based on what their coaches had them work as per end of season work evals. The best coaches hit for a high average in this area.

G- Carr, Mashburn

W- Gabe, Williams, Mutaf

This kind of clearly lays out to show why we may see Ihnen split time between the 3 and 4. Gach might change that. Also, if no Robbins, then I would expect Freeman to get a fair amount of PT.

Agree with every word of that and will always add the unknown and rarely thought of , what have others added and how much did they improve based on what their coaches had them work as per end of season work evals. The best coaches hit for a high average in this area.

Exactly. I mentioned that in the post prior to this ome that the only for sure teams we really know are Wisconsin and Iowa right now. Rosters are still very fluid. As far as developing, this summer will be an odd one so restrictions. It will be interesting to see it play out but I think players have developed fine here offensively and strength wise.

Exactly. I mentioned that in the post prior to this ome that the only for sure teams we really know are Wisconsin and Iowa right now. Rosters are still very fluid. As far as developing, this summer will be an odd one so restrictions. It will be interesting to see it play out but I think players have developed fine here offensively and strength wise.
Again there are specific drills not just offensively that some teach and some do not. Even in recruiting the characteristic of getting the hardest working players really pays off. Defense is really hard work. MSU is positioned really well with the Hauser addition. Adding that kind of shooter and that experience is scary. Love what IU added. If everything happens that we need to happen then from a roster position i like where we are at.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but in the starting lineup Oturu had Carr to help, and then a year-long brick-shooting Gabe (except for the Oklahoma St game), an inconsistent and partially injured Willis, and Demir, who would've been better as a 6th man (though I liked his effort and think he was bashed too much on this board by some vocal posters). Besides Carr, it's reasonable to predict our 2, 3, and 4 positions could be better next year. Hopefully we won't need superhuman efforts out of our center spot to be a better all-around team.

could be an equal team of last season ...Ken Pom 27th ...and easily rack up enough wins to Dance!

Again there are specific drills not just offensively that some teach and some do not. Even in recruiting the characteristic of getting the hardest working players really pays off. Defense is really hard work. MSU is positioned really well with the Hauser addition. Adding that kind of shooter and that experience is scary. Love what IU added. If everything happens that we need to happen then from a roster position i like where we are at.

I hear you, my point is most off season individual workouts I've seen have to do with getting more skills offensively and then developing a body physically to be able to make basketball movements offensively and defensively. Becoming a great defender and creating great team defense happens in team and group workouts.

Agreed on your point that MSU and IU seem to be in the best shape besides the other two teams I mentioned as far as known rosters. I don't put the gophers behind them or anyone else as far as rosters. Now if I have to choose who I trust to coach team defense we'd be having a different conversation for a different thread. It's a convo you and I agree with mostly anyhow, but as far as the roster sits now even without Robbins and Gach, the potential is there, but like you mentioned that can be said for many others. I appreciate we have the chance to be so it's either put up or shut up time for us.

I hear you, my point is most off season individual workouts I've seen have to do with getting more skills offensively and then developing a body physically to be able to make basketball movements offensively and defensively. Becoming a great defender and creating great team defense happens in team and group workouts.

Agreed on your point that MSU and IU seem to be in the best shape besides the other two teams I mentioned as far as known rosters. I don't put the gophers behind them or anyone else as far as rosters. Now if I have to choose who I trust to coach team defense we'd be having a different conversation for a different thread. It's a convo you and I agree with mostly anyhow, but as far as the roster sits now even without Robbins and Gach, the potential is there, but like you mentioned that can be said for many others. I appreciate we have the chance to be so it's either put up or shut up time for us.
Most coaches to focus the majority of the offseason on offensive skills and conditioning but too often kids put up 300-400 shots a day and work out, do some ball handling but only a few stress drills of being low and wide, it is super tedious and to do it after workouts even more so. Will guys pay the price to never lose due too fatigue. Will guys drill to get 9 stops in a row when shots are not falling. We had guys last year that were soft when it came to conditioning. Team defense does come together in team practices. But you better get work done now. That is why, this year more than others the veteran teams have a big advantage. One of those great coaches explained it this way on the offseason. He told his players if you come back in the fall and can not destroy both mentally and physically the player you were last year, you will not play. Our task is doable but we have so many guys that are poor at low and wide that it disgusts me. Thanks for the healthy exchange of thoughts and insights.

could be an equal team of last season ...Ken Pom 27th ...and easily rack up enough wins to Dance!
Metrics don’t equal wins, but man we were *right* there weren’t we? Frustrating outcome for sure... I can’t begin to count how many times mid season I tried to tell my family and friends who weren’t gopher fans that last years team was “the best .500 basketball team I’ve ever seen.” Another stat I like is that we were 3rd to last in kenpom “luck”.

A fair amount has to fall into place, but I have hope... especially if we get Robbins.

Metrics don’t equal wins, but man we were *right* there weren’t we? Frustrating outcome for sure... I can’t begin to count how many times mid season I tried to tell my family and friends who weren’t gopher fans that last years team was “the best .500 basketball team I’ve ever seen.” Another stat I like is that we were 3rd to last in kenpom “luck”.

A fair amount has to fall into place, but I have hope... especially if we get Robbins.
That 8-12 record becomes UW's 14-6 by just being 4th in the conference defensively.

College sports all about coaching. Pitino gets the talent, needs to learn more about how to get guys playing together and more cohesive, just generally working hands on with his players. This lineup gets into the NCAA tournament with decent coaching with or without Robbins.

College sports all about coaching. Pitino gets the talent, needs to learn more about how to get guys playing together and more cohesive, just generally working hands on with his players. This lineup gets into the NCAA tournament with decent coaching with or without Robbins.
Exactly. Very few stand out as great coaches,teachers,leaders. The best ones win when they have less than others and still win.

Is there any way Garza doesn't get drafted? I've seen him projected pretty high.

Is there any way Garza doesn't get drafted? I've seen him projected pretty high.
I know very little about how some players translate to the NBA but we had several posters here share projections on Garza lower than 50th. If he left they would be desperate for a grad transfer big.

In a bit of transfer thought : With the NCAA NOT MOVING on a one time no sit out transfer it will increase the waiver requests as a ton of guys entered the portal thinking they would not have to sit out. NCAA wants out of the waiver business and now will be hit with a onslaught. This may be slow going.

That 8-12 record becomes UW's 14-6 by just being 4th in the conference defensively.
Oh I agree. I think that team could have also executed better in (late game) situational basketball. That’s partially experience and continuity, which Pitino hasn’t been able to foster. Curry’s injury last year also did a lot more to break this team than Coffey leaving. We had good enough depth at guard/wing to stay competitive. Our 4 spot wasn’t equipped to replace Curry’s minutes with quality contributions from day 1.

Anyways, enough excuses. Last year was excruciating to be so close and have so much individual talent that I enjoyed watching develop, only to fall short. It’s comical that we didn’t even get to see them lose their final game, because I still believe they were good enough to make a run. I will forever be in denial about last year’s team.

Pending Carr and Robbins, this year can exceed the results even if we miss Oturu’s consistency on offense... we have other ways of earning good shots if Robbins can play replacement level defense.

Top Bottom