The end of Dave Lee? Gopher broadcasts moving to KFAN 1130 and 1500 KSTP

I agree.

I'm pumped that we have a 100,000 Watt blowtorch FM signal for our favorite team.

ALL the local stations have taken shots at the program, including their former flagship. KSTP makes station commercials with Reusse ridiculing the Gophers and play them incessantly.

Let's just watch how much pro-Gold talk there is moving forward. Then we can decide if it was a good move or not. For now, I'm very excited.

absolutely love it! i'll be curious to think how barreiro and common will react to this....very exciting!

absolutely love it! i'll be curious to think how barreiro and common will react to this....very exciting!

They will continue to mock and ridicule (common) and rip (barreiro), but I don't think you'll see them editorialize as negatively nor will they continue to play clips like "touchdown jackrabbits". You'll see something very similar to how they "cover"/ react to the Vikings.

Silvio,

Grimm doesn't actually work for WCCO. He works for Learfield/Gopher Sports Properties.

Even in past years when he has done the studio work on game days, he didn't go to WCCO for thiat. He want to Minnesota News Network's studios.

KFAN will have a role in determining who works the football games, but so will Learfield.

This is all happening so fast......I don't know how to respond.

It's a mix of emotions right now. The big negative now is that my user name is completely useless. How can one demand the firing of a play-by-play man who has already been fired?

On the other hand, the day has finally come! I feel like taking the family out to Denny's tonight for Grand Slams.

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds out. Most of all, I really hope the Gophers can find someone who can become a true voice of Gopher sports for a long time. Growing up with Ray for both football & basketball games on my way to football or hockey practice, honestly one of my best memories of my youth. I hope that someone like that can become a part of my kids' youth as well.

I recommend a separate thread to have a contest for a new moniker.

Silvio,

Grimm doesn't actually work for WCCO. He works for Learfield/Gopher Sports Properties.

Even in past years when he has done the studio work on game days, he didn't go to WCCO for thiat. He want to Minnesota News Network's studios.

KFAN will have a role in determining who works the football games, but so will Learfield.

I understand but KFAN/KSTP may insist that he do only one and not both as they want to have a strong tie into their other programming not just purchased broadcast rights.

This is great for the metro, but not so much for out-state. With NDSU, UND, UMD, MSM, games starting at 1pm and most on FAN affiliates this might not be ideal. I'm sure the FM signal does not reach most of these areas.

NDSU and UND, at least in Fargo are not on KFAN affiliates.

dave-lee.jpg

It won't be PA. The radio crew travels with the Vikings and they leave for road games on Saturdays. Much too much of a conflict.

Not impossible. Florida State and Tampa Bay share the same radio play-by-play announcer, Gene Deckerhoff. He also does FSU basketball.

couple of questions

1) what will happen to sports huddle on sunday mornings - absent the Uof M relationship will Kill still do that call in every sunday? - this could be the ride off into the sunset for Sid as well

2) the other thing no one brought up is Mike "Superstar" Morris - will he have to now roll over and show some love to the college level instead of breaking down the Vikings every day... along with his buddy Chris Hokey (sp?)??

I say next year at the tailgate lots we burn loaves of Country Hearth bread in celebration of Dave Lee not calling the games any more.

I almost spit out my soup. Thank you for the laugh.

Almost as important as the broadcast agreement is the marketing agreement. Having a presence on KDWB, K-102, Cities 97, and Kool 108 can only help the Gophers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedave23
I say next year at the tailgate lots we burn loaves of Country Hearth bread in celebration of Dave Lee not calling the games any more.

Dakota 12 Grain......burned in effigy?

I need the dancing smiley from GPL but :cool03: will have to do.

As long as it isn't Lapantdousche doing everything.........

Shooter on radio switch.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17573306

Found this interesting.

WCCO has enjoyed a really long relationship with the U of M; that significantly changed dynamically when the U of M brought in Learfield Sports in 2006," WCCO general manager Mick Anselmo said in a telephone interview this morning.

Doesn't really have much of an impact for me as far as games are concerned, I'm at every home game and watch every road game, so if the new agreement helps the school build a bigger fanbase, great.

Sid and Mona have to be crestfallen. Say what you want about their journalistic or broadcasting abilities, those guys love the U as much as anyone on this board does.

Doesn't really have much of an impact for me as far as games are concerned, I'm at every home game and watch every road game, so if the new agreement helps the school build a bigger fanbase, great.

Sid and Mona have to be crestfallen. Say what you want about their journalistic or broadcasting abilities, those guys love the U as much as anyone on this board does.[/QUOTE]

agreed

Really? Are you new to this? Have you paid any attention at all?

The truth is very much contrary: I am acutely aware of the negative sentiment toward KFAN on this board, and I find it very comical at this particular moment, during what is surely the nadir for the anti-KFAN crowd.

I think Conzemius on color would be the same as having Dave Lee on play-by-play. Train wreck would be a kind description. Conzemius has consistently come up with some of the worst takes/observations for someone who claims to watch Gopher football. I cringe when he comes on the radio, but listen anyway to see how far off the map his observations/opinions are.

This.

Conzemius has some awful, awful takes.

True, that was a pretty bad take despite the fact that the jury is still out on Gray at QB.

That said, Fargo Flash has been one of the only positive voices on KFAN for Gopher Football over the last decade - he also has experience in the broadcast booth covering the prep bowl.

Brewer would also be OK. Both guys are "younger-ish," especially in terms of the perceived Gopher football demographic, so I think that would help.

The truth is very much contrary: I am acutely aware of the negative sentiment toward KFAN on this board, and I find it very comical at this particular moment, during what is surely the nadir for the anti-KFAN crowd.

Again, I don't really care as I won't have to listen. Kfan sucks big time, but if it helps gain more fans I'm o.k. with it.

The Minnesota legislature will not want to lose the millions and millions of tax dollars from the 100 million dollar Vikings payroll. Money talks. They are not moving.

I love this argument about why the Vikings get a stadium.

First off, the Vikings play 1/2 of their games outside of the state of MN. Players are taxed where the paycheck is earned, meaning the players are taxed where they play. So $50 million would be available to be taxed by state income tax. The state income tax rate is 7.85%, which equates to $3,925,000 in tax revenue.
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/12/sports/sp-jock-tax12 & http://taxes.state.mn.us/publications/pages/press_releases_content_2010_income_brackets.aspx

The Vikings Operating Income (not final income, final income likely lower) was $18,000,000 in 2009. The state corporate tax rate is 9.8% which means the tax revenue would be $1,764,000.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/230.html
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Minnesota-Vikings_309201.html

Factor payroll, sales tax, income tax on related businesses, and property taxes (Winter Park), and I'll give you $25,000,000 for that (vast over-statement).

Total tax revenue would be roughly $30,000,000.

The Vikings have said they'll pay 1/3 of a stadium that costs at least $700,000,000. That leaves the MN tax payer to borrow $466,666,666. Minnesota will have to finance that up front since we have no surplus. If MN used the $30,000,000 in tax revenue from Vikings to pay off the stadium bonds, it would take 40 years (assuming bonds not callable or callable at a premium) to pay off (assuming 4% interest, slightly higher than 30 yr treasury yield). Even if it quadrupled the Vikings income, it would take 27 years. Either way it will be well after the next time the Vikings hold their fanbase hostage while threatening to leave asking again for a new stadium.

I do expect KFAN to be younger and more fun. This may be like when the NFL went from CBS to Fox. I hate NFL on Fox now, but back when it first changed it was like it came out of the stone age.

Top Bottom