The end of Dave Lee? Gopher broadcasts moving to KFAN 1130 and 1500 KSTP

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Just got this e-mail from my close personal friend Joel M.:

Dear Gopher Season Ticket Holder,

Later this morning we will be making a very exciting announcement regarding our Gopher Sports radio broadcast partnership and I want you to be among the first to receive the news.

In conjunction with Gopher Sports Properties, Gopher Athletics has reached separate three-year broadcast agreements with Clear Channel Radio and Hubbard Broadcasting, Inc. The agreements both commence with the 2011-12 athletics season and will have Gopher football broadcasts on Clear Channel's KFAN Sports Radio 1130 AM and KTLK 100.3 FM, with Gopher men's and women's basketball and men's hockey airing on Hubbard Broadcasting's 1500 AM ESPN Radio.

I am pleased to report that both new partners were aggressive in their pursuit of our broadcasts and presented very strong business proposals. The financial commitments made by Clear Channel and Hubbard Broadcasting were just one element that factored into our decision. Marketing support, an array of new Gopher-driven programming that will generate more air time for Gopher sports, listener demographics and the ability of Clear Channel and Hubbard Broadcasting to promote University of Minnesota Athletics across a number of stations all combined to create what we believe is the best platform for Gopher sports on radio.

Change is never easy and it is remarkable that we have enjoyed such an outstanding run with WCCO. I want to publicly thank them for the dedicated coverage of the Gophers. We truly appreciate their commitment and the relationship we have had over the years.

As the business of college athletics continues to evolve, we view this decision is a strategic step to combine great radio coverage for Gopher fans with the very best promotional opportunities for our football, men's and women's basketball, and men's hockey teams. The all-sports format is a natural fit for Gopher Athletics and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to harness the combined power of the Twin Cities two all-sports formatted radio stations.

At this point it's too early to say just which individuals will be involved with our broadcasts next season. We hope to finalize those decisions in the coming weeks and we will let you know who will be behind the mic for Gopher games as soon as we can.

Thanks for your continued support of our program!

Go Gophers!

Slow-Clap.gif

Yay!! Football on FM!!!

I can't say I'm happy about the basketball, because that station doesn't come in real well at my house, but FOOTBALL ON FM!!!!!

O. M. G. this is fantastic news! And just in time for St Patty's Day celebration honoring Spring football! Green Gopher Beer for the House!!!!!

At least now I won't have to search endlessly for Gopher hockey games when there is a conflict.

Wow. This is truly a game-changer.

I thought it was weird when the morning crew on KFAN was crazy optimistic in their Gopher takes this morning. Perhaps they had already been informed...

I was just listening online to KSTP - they run a bit where Pat Reusse claims nobody under his age cares about Gopher football, and they run it like they're proud of it. I'm GLAD they didn't get the football games with that kind of terrible attitude.

I am so pumped that football will be on FM. Plus I'm pretty sure that KFAN will be much more likely to talk about our program now. I think this is a win for Gopher Football in a big way.

I assume you're thinking of KFAN bringing back Hartman so he and Barrerio can do the broadcasts!:)

How many threads have we had on this board about KFAN? Any of them remotely close to positive?

This is great for the Gophers. More positive coverage is coming from KFAN and that's great for everyone.

PA sure has changed his tune on Gopher Football as I'm listening right now.

Goodbye, Dave Lee. You were the worst announcer I've ever heard.

Will this change KFAN's attitude toward the program? Maybe. Will it be worth it because Dave Lee is done? Oh *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# yes.

No more its third and six- handoff to bennet, he gains seven- fourth down! Hopefully the new guy actually knows how to call a football game.

I was just listening online to KSTP - they run a bit where Pat Reusse claims nobody under his age cares about Gopher football, and they run it like they're proud of it. I'm GLAD they didn't get the football games with that kind of terrible attitude.

I am so pumped that football will be on FM. Plus I'm pretty sure that KFAN will be much more likely to talk about our program now. I think this is a win for Gopher Football in a big way.

I'm guessing KSTP didn't get football as well because of their Twins broadcasting obligations.

That should make everyone on this board happy.

Your favorite radio station now has your favorite football team.

+1,000,000

A positive step forward.

Wow. This is truly a game-changer.

I thought it was weird when the morning crew on KFAN was crazy optimistic in their Gopher takes this morning. Perhaps they had already been informed...

Ha! I was thinking the same thing this morning. They were just taking shots at all things Wisconsin related and then proclaimed they can't wait for Gopher Football this spring because they love Jerry Kill.

Now this all makes a lot more sense. Great move by Joel here, I'll give him credit when it's due. :clap:

I don't think that KFAN has been negative at all since Coach Kill has been hired. Even Barrero has been positive, which was weird. And while I didn't appreciate everything they said about Brewster, they were probably right. I'm looking forward to better coverage of the team now. WCCO never talked about it unless it was Sid or later at night with Mike Max.

Paging FireDaveLee.....

FireDaveLee, please report to this thread...

This is great for the metro, but not so much for out-state. With NDSU, UND, UMD, MSM, games starting at 1pm and most on FAN affiliates this might not be ideal. I'm sure the FM signal does not reach most of these areas.

This is great for the metro, but not so much for out-state. With NDSU, UND, UMD, MSM, games starting at 1pm and most on FAN affiliates this might not be ideal. I'm sure the FM signal does not reach most of these areas.

One of the costs of living in the sticks is you don't get everything that is available in the city. Collateral damage.

One of the costs of living in the sticks is you don't get everything that is available in the city. Collateral damage.

Doesn't affect me, but this is MN's team isn't it?

I thought KFAN had a network that went into the Dakotas if not most of the state? Overall, this is GREAT news. I would have preferred 1500 KSTP/ESPN but with Twins games it is probably would have lots of conflict.

Top Bottom