The end of Dave Lee? Gopher broadcasts moving to KFAN 1130 and 1500 KSTP

True, that was a pretty bad take despite the fact that the jury is still out on Gray at QB.

That said, Fargo Flash has been one of the only positive voices on KFAN for Gopher Football over the last decade - he also has experience in the broadcast booth covering the prep bowl.

Brewer would also be OK. Both guys are "younger-ish," especially in terms of the perceived Gopher football demographic, so I think that would help.

How about Mase!? He's available and has gotten pretty chummy with KFAN over the past few years. ;)

I love this argument about why the Vikings get a stadium.

First off, the Vikings play 1/2 of their games outside of the state of MN. Players are taxed where the paycheck is earned, meaning the players are taxed where they play. So $50 million would be available to be taxed by state income tax. The state income tax rate is 7.85%, which equates to $3,925,000 in tax revenue.
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/12/sports/sp-jock-tax12 & http://taxes.state.mn.us/publications/pages/press_releases_content_2010_income_brackets.aspx

The Vikings Operating Income (not final income, final income likely lower) was $18,000,000 in 2009. The state corporate tax rate is 9.8% which means the tax revenue would be $1,764,000.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/230.html
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Minnesota-Vikings_309201.html

Factor payroll, sales tax, income tax on related businesses, and property taxes (Winter Park), and I'll give you $25,000,000 for that (vast over-statement).

Total tax revenue would be roughly $30,000,000.

The Vikings have said they'll pay 1/3 of a stadium that costs at least $700,000,000. That leaves the MN tax payer to borrow $466,666,666. Minnesota will have to finance that up front since we have no surplus. If MN used the $30,000,000 in tax revenue from Vikings to pay off the stadium bonds, it would take 40 years (assuming bonds not callable or callable at a premium) to pay off (assuming 4% interest, slightly higher than 30 yr treasury yield). Even if it quadrupled the Vikings income, it would take 27 years. Either way it will be well after the next time the Vikings hold their fanbase hostage while threatening to leave asking again for a new stadium.

You forgot the player's income from the other team, not that it really matters.

The truth is very much contrary: I am acutely aware of the negative sentiment toward KFAN on this board, and I find it very comical at this particular moment, during what is surely the nadir for the anti-KFAN crowd.

How do you come-up with that? If getting the Gophers limits the bile the KFAN boys spill how's that "the lowest point"? Getting rid of the WCCO broadcast is fine by me. Rural's being sick about it probably is more of a reaction to thinking that he might have to listen to them on occasion or that KFAN is being rewarded for acting like 13 year old twits.

That's pretty understandable as well. ;)

Those of us that have typed "negative but fair is fine" a couple of hundred times have been ignored by the KFAN ass-lickers who constantly said that being a doucebag is the only honest response guys like Barrerio, little Hartman, Hawkeye Jr. could come up with when talking about the Gophers, even when they started out at 7-1 or when Mason went 10-3.

At least that's the only honest opinion of them that one could have. :cool03:

Rural's being sick about it probably is more of a reaction to thinking that he might have to listen to them on occasion or that KFAN is being rewarded for acting like 13 year old twits.

Exactly.

True, that was a pretty bad take despite the fact that the jury is still out on Gray at QB.

That said, Fargo Flash has been one of the only positive voices on KFAN for Gopher Football over the last decade - he also has experience in the broadcast booth covering the prep bowl.

Brewer would also be OK. Both guys are "younger-ish," especially in terms of the perceived Gopher football demographic, so I think that would help.
why does it have to be an ex-gopher? get some real professionals in the booth for once.

Goldy's going to get the same treatment as Ragnar. Hopefully the KFAN personalities don't get dizzy from their 180. This does make me a bit sad though. Listening to Ray on WCCO was how I came to Gopher football.

Agreed..Some of my fondest boyhood memories involved snowy November/December/January Saturdays in the woods, listening to Ray as we cut firewood and loaded up my dad's pickup. I didn't love the Gophers until I became one in 95, but before then, I was certainly familiar with the dear old U, and Ray's voice, what a distinctively smooth sound!

Here's hoping KFAN lands a Ray v2011 and builds a strong broadcasting tradition.

Go Gophers!

why does it have to be an ex-gopher? get some real professionals in the booth for once.

Good idea. Get some real professionals so that we can try to make the Gophers as similar to the Vikings as possible. That's how every other university broadcast does it. They never have former players as analysts. :rolleyes:

How do you come-up with that? If getting the Gophers limits the bile the KFAN boys spill how's that "the lowest point"? Getting rid of the WCCO broadcast is fine by me. Rural's being sick about it probably is more of a reaction to thinking that he might have to listen to them on occasion or that KFAN is being rewarded for acting like 13 year old twits.

That's pretty understandable as well. ;)

Those of us that have typed "negative but fair is fine" a couple of hundred times have been ignored by the KFAN ass-lickers who constantly said that being a doucebag is the only honest response guys like Barrerio, little Hartman, Hawkeye Jr. could come up with when talking about the Gophers, even when they started out at 7-1 or when Mason went 10-3.

At least that's the only honest opinion of them that one could have. :cool03:

Sigh.

I had this long, fully realized response prepared for this that was pretty good. I even commended your cursory Google search on the word "nadir" in it. I decided against it. Just don't listen. I really don't care.

Good idea. Get some real professionals so that we can try to make the Gophers as similar to the Vikings as possible. That's how every other university broadcast does it. They never have former players as analysts. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this, in principle - I just don't want Conzemius.

Holy Smokes. I'm not sure if the KFAN groupies even are aware of how bad this is for them. As it is KFAN is ignored, but now people will turn their eye (or ear) on to the quality that is produced.

It is not going to be a good look.

I'm with you on this, in principle - I just don't want Conzemius.

Fair enough. I'd rather have DT than Conzemius - I just like Conzemius in favor of bringing in someone from a non-Gopher perspective, which is one of my fears now that they're on KFAN.

You forgot the player's income from the other team, not that it really matters.

Yes, you can't take away half of the Vikings payroll because half the games are out of town without adding in the income that the players on the opposing teams earn during the games played here. The two would more or less cancel each other out, so stick with $100 million as the base amount.

Maybe bring Frank Mazacco into the fold? Wally could also cover all the sports. Unfortunately those two are hockey heavy guys.

Dave Lee is done. This is a great day for Minnesota football. No 'CCO is the greatest moment ever. No BS, no crap PBP, no confusing. Another banner day for Minnesota football.

I like having actual news to talk about and a quality thread with it!

"Maturi said the university evaluated its broadcast options based on financial commitment, marketing support, listener demographics, and ancillary programming."

... the latter three (at least) of which WCCO offered basically nothing.

I'm 100% behind this move. Sometimes you need to go on the offensive. By taking their product to KFAN, the most negative, skewed voice in all of sports in this market towards the Gophers, you force a more objective position because they now have a stake in the relationship. I'm not saying it'll be (or should be) all lollipops and sunshine with their heads buried in the sand but it prevents a prominent player in this market from purposefully taking the negative spin on every Gopher story or topic. Before today, KFAN went out of their way to find anything possible to criticize the Gophers, often throwing accuracy in reporting by the wayside. Today, they'll have to take at least an impartial approach to their coverage of Gopher football.

Not to mention that this means no more Dave Lee. I see KFAN being more innovative when it comes to pregame broadcasts, coach's shows, etc. I always thought a booth should be set up to do pregame in a tailgate lot and make it an event.

Also, it was time for the Gophers to attempt to try for the younger demographic.

One other point I need to make.

I am 100% certain that Joel Maturi is a big part of the problem. HOWEVER, if he was the main reason behind this switch, I stll want him fired but will thank him out the door for this move.

Whether you believe it or not, it's hard to break a relationship that has lasted 68 years. This took some guts (I can't believe I'm saying this about Joel) to make the switch.

One of the costs of living in the sticks is you don't get everything that is available in the city. Collateral damage.

One of the benefits of living in the sticks is you don't get everything that is available in the city.

KFAN sucks but I'm sure our affiliate will pick them up. Doesn't matter anyway as I'll be at the game.

From a marketing standpoint, this is a good thing. You have basketball and hockey on one sports radio station, and football on the other. Both will probably cover and talk about Gopher sports in a positive way a lot more than in the past.

I think there has been some confusion over the issue of radio 'networks.' There is an existing Gopher Radio Network that includes a number of stations in outstate minnesota - somewhat more for FB than for men's hoops. The games are distributed through the Minnesota News Network, picking up the signal from the flagship. That setup should not change. The only difference will be in the flagship station. In fact, I would think KFAN, working with Learfield, would likely make an effort to add more stations to the network, since their signal is not as strong as CCO's.

On another topic, somebody said they wanted Mike Grimm to be the PBP man for FB? Have you ever listened to the guy call a Gopher basketball game? He spends the entire broadcast complaining about the officiating. It's unlistenable for a 2-hr basketball game - I can't imagine how bad it would be for a 3-hr FB game. IMHO, Grimm is a worse PBP guy than Dave Lee - and that's saying a lot.

have you *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing heard conzemius??? he's worse than mona FFS.

I think there has been some confusion over the issue of radio 'networks.' There is an existing Gopher Radio Network that includes a number of stations in outstate minnesota - somewhat more for FB than for men's hoops. The games are distributed through the Minnesota News Network, picking up the signal from the flagship. That setup should not change. The only difference will be in the flagship station. In fact, I would think KFAN, working with Learfield, would likely make an effort to add more stations to the network, since their signal is not as strong as CCO's.

On another topic, somebody said they wanted Mike Grimm to be the PBP man for FB? Have you ever listened to the guy call a Gopher basketball game? He spends the entire broadcast complaining about the officiating. It's unlistenable for a 2-hr basketball game - I can't imagine how bad it would be for a 3-hr FB game. IMHO, Grimm is a worse PBP guy than Dave Lee - and that's saying a lot.

Dave Lee(though his morning show is fine) is 10 million times worse the Mike Grimm. Not even close.

IMHO, Grimm is a worse PBP guy than Dave Lee - and that's saying a lot.

Did you ever listen to the North Star broadcasts when Steve Cannon did the play by play? Cannon who was great on The Cannon Mess couldn't remember the names of North Star players let alone guys on the other team. Breakaways that involved more then one player left Cannon ap·o·plec·tic!

All that said Dave Lee made him sound like Ray Christensen or Vin Scully! I hate KFAN from 9:01am on, but I'm pleased that they got the rights. I hope they get a new voice altogether but nobody is worse then Lee.

Saw your avatar, but can't give you a No Prize for this. :drink:

Are Dan Rowe or Mike Woodley still in town? I liked both those guys.

I listen to most of the football games on XM, whether it be the Gophers or the opposing team's announce crew (XM usually gets the home team feed, but not always), but I'll be more than happy to see Mr. Lee shown the door. There was a rumor floating around here that the only reason Lee was still employed as the play by play guy is because he was buddy buddy with some higher-ups at either Federated Insurance or Cambria, who threatened to pull their sponsor dollars if Lee was fired. Any word on if this is still true?

Top Bottom