The end of Dave Lee? Gopher broadcasts moving to KFAN 1130 and 1500 KSTP

And as much as I hate the Badgers, Lepay is a great radio man. He does a good job painting a picture of what is happening and has the right kind of excitement at the right times. I hope the Gophers can get back to having an iconic voice who is good at calling games.

PA will need something to do on weekends in 2012 when the Vikings have moved to LA.

Wayne L doesn't do Badger football. Matt Lepay does the analysis and Mike Lucas does the color commentary (they've been the duo for 16 seasons according to UWSports).

Larrivee does Big Ten games on Saturdays for the BTN and his Packers radio gig on Sundays.

Well, the long term migration for me away from WCCO is nearly complete. I used to listen to it for the morning drive, the evening drive, and pretty much everything in between for sports. First, I made the evening drive switch away from WCCO back in the days when the Cannon Mess was winding down and the Chad and Bareirro show was in its prime. I've never gone back to WCCO for the PM drive. I was still a regular for those endless summer nights listening to Twins games as I sat in a fishing boat, worked on projects in the garage, etc. That tie was cut too. I can't say that I had a huge stake in Gopher football on WCCO because I was either at the games if they were home, or made sure I was watching on TV if they were away. I really only had to on average listen to one Gopher football game a year on the radio. When I did, I quickly made the same observations about the broadcast quality that is often discussed here on the GH.

However, since I do listen to a lot of KFAN, I was generally bummed about the lack of college and Gopher football knowledge displayed by nearly every host. I do think this move will help that. So, the benefits for me will be comparably small compared to someone that listens to a lot of Gopher football radio broadcasts. But, they are benefits none-the-less.

At this point, my only remaining WCCO time will be in the morning drive... when I catch up with the news. And that connection is hanging on by a thread... due to bread. The endless product hawking and bread commercials are nearly enough to drive me away from this one remaining connection to 'CCO.

I see all the posts about CBS and WCCO getting out of the sports business. WCCO has long fought the image of a radio station seemingly catering to the elderly demographic. I am no marketing expert but I was under the impression that males in their 40's were a good demographic to have listening to one's radio station as they have a lot of purchasing power and appeal to advertisers. I guess there is a great future in cremation services advertising.

Wayne L doesn't do Badger football. Matt Lepay does the analysis and Mike Lucas does the color commentary (they've been the duo for 16 seasons according to UWSports).

never said he did, as I regularly see him on the B10 network, what's your point?

This move leaves us Gopher fans in the northwest exurbs in a black hole. KSTP won't go further than the Crow River, St. Cloud 1390 has to power down their signal at night, KFAN's 103.5 FM translator gets shouted down by the Loon, and KARP from Hutchinson never made it here.

In all honesty, this makes me feel a little bit better.

Rural, just a note on the headphones at TCF. During the Iowa game I listened to thee Iowa broadcasters on it. It was very enjoyable. I couldn't stand Dave Lee and the Iowa guys were very gracious in defeat.

Get the headphones for next season, just in case you don't like the new guys.

I'm not sure how I feel about this? I can't stand Dave Lee and his announcing, but I hate KFAN and everyone involved (except Trent Tucker) with the station. I guess it doesn't really matter since I rarely have to listen to a game on the radio.

Tip-of-the-hat to Joel M/Dave M/U

for this big media/promotion/publicity package.

Clearly, the U is making a big push to revitalize the Golden Gophers as the unquestioned D1 sports brand in the Upper Midwest and positioning itself to generate substantial incremental AD revenues in the process.

Along with better facilities, budget, coaching and recruiting, the enhanced media platform is another great addition toward producing an attractive U experience for student-athletes and a strong menu of high quality major sporting events for all Gopher fans.

Great work!

I'm not sure how I feel about this? I can't stand Dave Lee and his announcing, but I hate KFAN and everyone involved (except Trent Tucker) with the station. I guess it doesn't really matter since I rarely have to listen to a game on the radio.

You were called out by berero, right?

I wouldn't be surprised to see KFAN add talent to handle the play by play and other related Gopher football duties (coaches show, etc.)

This move leaves us Gopher fans in the northwest exurbs in a black hole. KSTP won't go further than the Crow River, St. Cloud 1390 has to power down their signal at night, KFAN's 103.5 FM translator gets shouted down by the Loon, and KARP from Hutchinson never made it here.

Dude, don't you get 100.3? I live pretty far NW and it comes in great.

There are 40 stations that carry Gopher football, coverage should be fine. They will have to examine the coverage and may have to add some affiliates in case there is any coverage that is lost by not having WCCO covering the games. Up in NW Minnesota, we got the games out of Grand Forks or Fargo.

I would too.

I'm just a little shocked that after years of neglect (at best) and cheap shots everybody else is so excited about this.

Are they cheap shot or just calling a spade a spade? The U AD department has been an easy target. By the way, they take shots at the pro-sports as well. This is big business, not youth sports.

Are they cheap shot or just calling a spade a spade? The U AD department has been an easy target. By the way, they take shots at the pro-sports as well. This is big business, not youth sports.

I would call ridiculing kids who wear Gophers stuff on their state fair broadcasts cheap shots.

Smartphones work just fine in vehicles.

It's just like anything else in this life - if you want access to something, sometimes you have to pay for it. If you can't/don't want to pay for it - well, I feel badly for you, but that's not KFAN's or the University's problem. Not having it available would truly be a travesty, but that isn't the case.

Sometimes but not always. You seem to forget that the largest expanding segment of our population are those over 65 and a good number of them tune in to sporting events at no cost.

A smartphone or the internet is fine for those with that option and those who are intent in tuning in to the broadcast. But not having access to the radio broadcast will eliminate the scanner or those who are not locked into the Gopher schedule. They will not have access to it.

I assume the Gophers would prefer to have easy access to the majority, not just those with the latest and greatest toy. But it seems that the trend is going away from that. The Twins cable TV and BTN good examples and fewer folks have access. My father-in-law dropped the sports channels due to the cost. Same with one of my brothers.

They took great delight in the Goph's losing ways. Don't think otherwise.

It's been an ugly couple of years. KFAN fiercely defended the product they were pimping (the Vikings) against what they saw as an attack on their "demo" (10,000 student tickets sold in a football venue that was broadcast on a competing radio station). KFAN (and others) won that round, as 12/31/06 - 10/17/10 proved to be a disastrous era for Gopher Football despite the opening of a new venue.

The fact is that KFAN (Clear Channel) and Gopher Football can both significantly benefit from a partnership. Now let's hope everyone makes the most out of it.

They took great delight in the Goph's losing ways. Don't think otherwise.

One of my least favorite KFAN moments is Barrerio's "I hope they get crushed" plea for one of Mason's games. I wonder if he brings up that thought again?

Not going to change my thoughts of the personalities on the air. I will not be listening to KFAN. Yeah...I carry a grudge, so F them.

I don't think they will ever be more than the Vikings' second fiddle, no.

Every local sports team plays the second fiddle in this state.

Here is a list of KFAN stations.
http://www.kfan.com/pages/station.html?feed=289104&article=4051817

Looks like SW Minny is shut out. The signal in Duluth gets weak here and we are just 70 miles east.

Here are the KSTP affiliates http://1500espn.com/pages/network/
Look as if that is better coverage

That can change.

I wonder if KFAN's move is evidence of a Vikes move.

The Minnesota legislature will not want to lose the millions and millions of tax dollars from the 100 million dollar Vikings payroll. Money talks. They are not moving.

Danny B's schtick is to break bad on everything. EVERYTHING. So expect the same for gopher FB- insert grampa dad joke here.

Top Bottom