The end of Dave Lee? Gopher broadcasts moving to KFAN 1130 and 1500 KSTP

Two things:

1. I'll be shocked if Dave Lee is back doing football play-by-play. I expect that Mike Grimm will do PBP for both football and men's basketball. Having one primary PBP guy is the model that Learfield has used at most (if not almost all) of their other schools.

2. For those of you outside of the Twin Cities, I would think that this will change little. The affiliate network that has been in place will likely stay close to the same. It was a network that Learfield established, rather than WCCO.

How many threads have we had on this board about KFAN? Any of them remotely close to positive?

Hey, I'll be listening to the Barrerio and the Hawkeye Show this afternoon. Their take will be interesting to say the least!;)

CBS radio has been divesting itself of sports in a number of markets around the country. The Twins and St. Louis Cardinals the most notable, so this isn't as surprising as it could be.

Goldy's going to get the same treatment as Ragnar. Hopefully the KFAN personalities don't get dizzy from their 180. This does make me a bit sad though. Listening to Ray on WCCO was how I came to Gopher football.

Paging FireDaveLee.....

FireDaveLee, please report to this thread...

This is all happening so fast......I don't know how to respond.

It's a mix of emotions right now. The big negative now is that my user name is completely useless. How can one demand the firing of a play-by-play man who has already been fired?

On the other hand, the day has finally come! I feel like taking the family out to Denny's tonight for Grand Slams.

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds out. Most of all, I really hope the Gophers can find someone who can become a true voice of Gopher sports for a long time. Growing up with Ray for both football & basketball games on my way to football or hockey practice, honestly one of my best memories of my youth. I hope that someone like that can become a part of my kids' youth as well.

Conzemius on color?

PBP - ???

It would be nice if they found a way to keep Darrell Thompson. Maybe Conzemius/Thompson on color, with a TBD PBP guy?

One of the costs of living in the sticks is you don't get everything that is available in the city. Collateral damage.

Pretty weak

Many small town Wisconsin stations carry the Badgers. And the Packers as well.

Last time I checked it is the University of Minnesota not the University of Minneapolis/St.Paul

Please keep PA away from the mic.

Hey, I'll be listening to the Barrerio and the Hawkeye Show this afternoon. Their take will be interesting to say the least!;)

CBS radio has been divesting itself of sports in a number of markets around the country. The Twins and St. Louis Cardinals the most notable, so this isn't as surprising as it could be.

Any other station would have been better. I'm literally getting queezy over this.

Conzemius on color?

PBP - ???

It would be nice if they found a way to keep Darrell Thompson. Maybe Conzemius/Thompson on color, with a TBD PBP guy?

I bet there will not be a shortage of guys wanting in on this gig. Jack Brewer has KFAN ties.

You really don't think they're going to change their tune now that they have to try to sell their "product"?

Pretty weak

Many small town Wisconsin stations carry the Badgers. And the Packers as well.

Last time I checked it is the University of Minnesota not the University of Minneapolis/St.Paul

Please keep PA away from the mic.

Not sure where you live, but I always found that it was pretty easy to find the football games on non-WCCO stations, and impossible to find the basketball games. I hope they work on the network, because neither KFAN or KSTP reach much of out-state. Then again it is 2011 and most folks can probably find an app for that.

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds out. Most of all, I really hope the Gophers can find someone who can become a true voice of Gopher sports for a long time. Growing up with Ray for both football & basketball games on my way to football or hockey practice, honestly one of my best memories of my youth. I hope that someone like that can become a part of my kids' youth as well.

Tough to establish that when they go for whoever is willing to pay the most 3 years from now, regardless of where their loyalties lie.

Wow. I grew up listening to all the MN sports on wcco. They have now lost the Vikes, Twins, Gopher FB and BB. What do they have left.

This is almost as bad as losing The Cannon Mess.

I say next year at the tailgate lots we burn loaves of Country Hearth bread in celebration of Dave Lee not calling the games any more.

They need to get affiliates in Alexandria, Wilmar, and Marshall at least. WCCO comes in everywhere.

You can listen to KFAN online or on iheartradio anywhere on planet Earth that you can get an internet/data signal.

If you don't have a smart phone, well - move ahead and join the rest of us in 2002.

They need to get affiliates in Alexandria, Wilmar, and Marshall at least. WCCO comes in everywhere.

KFAN Affiliate network and the Gopher football network are not the same thing!

I think this is fantastic news. In regards to the network an earlier poster noted that Learfield Sports is the one who markets the product. Shouldn't it be the same network?

Will this mean that there will be no more funeral home spots during the game?

KFAN Affiliate network and the Gopher football network are not the same thing!

PA did reference the "Gopher Radio Network" so I would assume that this will include the stations that currently carry the Gophs.

You can listen to KFAN online or on iheartradio anywhere on planet Earth that you can get an internet/data signal.

If you don't have a smart phone, well - move ahead and join the rest of us in 2002.

Pretty shallow there dpodoll68. Tell that to many long time listeners who may reside in nursing homes or don't have the technology. Or folks traveling in their auto.

I think they will hav to pursue an whole new network for the Gopher Football games. The Vikings KFAN network was set up for just the Vikings and the same stations may not want to carry GOpher Football.

Will this mean that there will be no more funeral home spots during the game?

Probably not, advertising is probably sold through Learfield (sp). I would guess the only thing that will change is Dave Lee, unless WCCO allows him to continue to do the work. I don't think there is anyone at KFAN who can handle the job that isn't already dedicated to the Vikings.

Finally they listened

the U listened to the Gopher Football fans...we were fed up with Dave Lee and his poor sub-par play by play broadcasts.

It doesn't change my coverage, my butt's in TCF. Glad I never sprung for one of those radios they sell though.

I emailed KFAN and they said that Dave Lee was NOT going to be doing the play-by-play anymore

Top Bottom