The end of Dave Lee? Gopher broadcasts moving to KFAN 1130 and 1500 KSTP

It will be interesting to track how the coverage will be different now that the Gophers will be on the network. I agree that there will probably be less outright cheap shots.

You can listen to KFAN online or on iheartradio anywhere on planet Earth that you can get an internet/data signal.

If you don't have a smart phone, well - move ahead and join the rest of us in 2002.

That's fine for the coach's shows, etc, but it doesn't mean they allow the games to be streamed directly. I don't believe WCCO has been allowed to.

Not a shock at all.

WCCO has been getting out of the sports industry over the last several years. Its interesting that the station I grew up with for sports wont even be programmed into my radios anymore. I mean after the Cannon Mess was shut down, the Vikings left, then the Twins, and now the Gophers the good neighbor should probably just lock up its doors and move on. The on air lineup they have now isnt worth listening to now anyway.

As far as those in the non metro area this shouldnt effect anyone. The Gophers may flip some channels but you should be able to hear them plenty. The Twins have not dropped off the dial at all you just have to find your local provider. It wont be a big deal. With WCCO it was nice that you could bring them in on one channel almost anywhere in the state but in the end this wont be a big problem if it was going to be the Gophers wouldnt have switched.

Pretty shallow there dpodoll68. Tell that to many long time listeners who may reside in nursing homes or don't have the technology. Or folks traveling in their auto.

Smartphones work just fine in vehicles.

It's just like anything else in this life - if you want access to something, sometimes you have to pay for it. If you can't/don't want to pay for it - well, I feel badly for you, but that's not KFAN's or the University's problem. Not having it available would truly be a travesty, but that isn't the case.

I've had a 180. I'm really pumped to hear PA, and all of his college football knowledge, break down the Gophs!!!

Just to clear up some confusion, here is a link to the Gopher Radio Network. The network is setup through Gopher Sports Properties and is not deteremined by the KFAN radio network or KSTP. With the exception of KFAN/KSTP replacing WCCO, this map will not be changing.

http://www.gophersportsproperties.com/gopher-radio-network/

we have a place 20 minutes north of Grand Rapids, once the sun goes down only WCCO comes through reliably. A lot of these small town am stations have very weak night signals

I've had a 180. I'm really pumped to hear PA, and all of his college football knowledge, break down the Gophs!!!

I don't think PA will improve his knowledge of Gopher Football considerably, but he'll probably have a beat reporter on for regular segments a couple times a week. That is an improvement over what he offers now. This could be a really great situation for someone like MV (think Ryan Cardinal for Gopher Hockey).

What, I said I'm pumped! PA is knowledgable and not obnoxious at all. Bring it on!

edit: reply to positively4thstreet.

PA ≠ a great college football mind

PA will need to take a sabbatical to beef up his college football knowledge. Every angle he took towards college football had to do with how it could affect his future fantasy football team or the Vikings draft.

kfan.com is maroon and gold. Blows my f-ing mind.

I also hope it isn't PA. The man pushed for Tice to be the Gopher Head Coach. He needs to stay away from this team.

We need our own guy.

kfan.com is maroon and gold. Blows my f-ing mind.

I also hope it isn't PA. The man pushed for Tice to be the Gopher Head Coach. He needs to stay away from this team.

We need our own guy.

PA isn't going to stop doing play-by-play for the Vikings, and it isn't possible for a single person to do both gigs well.

It won't be PA. The radio crew travels with the Vikings and they leave for road games on Saturdays. Much too much of a conflict.

As I said before, I will be shocked if it isn't Mike Grimm doing football and basketball.

It won't be PA. The radio crew travels with the Vikings and they leave for road games on Saturdays. Much too much of a conflict.

As I said before, I will be shocked if it isn't Mike Grimm doing football and basketball.

Will he be allowed to "work" for two different stations?

C'mon now, buddy. This is a good thing. PA doesn't know anything about college football because he hasn't needed to. He's forgotten more about horse racing than most will know, and he's extremely plugged in to the behind-the-scenes info from the Vikes. You can say what you will about PA (and most of it is legitimate), but his professionalism has never been in question. If his job requirements mandate that he learn everything he can about Gopher football, then he will.

Silvio and anonymous, I hope your logic is sound. I don't think PA will be our guy either, but nothing will surprise me at this point. Strange injustices happen to come the Gophers' way when we share with the Vikes.

PA isn't going to stop doing play-by-play for the Vikings, and it isn't possible for a single person to do both gigs well.

I agree it won't be PA, but Wayne L. (PA Wis. buddy) pulls it off.

This is all happening so fast......I don't know how to respond.

It's a mix of emotions right now. The big negative now is that my user name is completely useless. How can one demand the firing of a play-by-play man who has already been fired?

On the other hand, the day has finally come! I feel like taking the family out to Denny's tonight for Grand Slams.

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds out. Most of all, I really hope the Gophers can find someone who can become a true voice of Gopher sports for a long time. Growing up with Ray for both football & basketball games on my way to football or hockey practice, honestly one of my best memories of my youth. I hope that someone like that can become a part of my kids' youth as well.

+1, I am still in college right now, but I remember listening to Ray growing up. He was the best. Nothing like playing a Saturday youth football/basketball game and listening to Ray on the way back home. I also remember listening to Ray's last game during the NIT in basketball, it was a sad day. Ever since Dave Lee has come I have hated him, but I have to say I do love Grimm hopefully they give the football job to him. He does great job!!

Conzemius on color?

PBP - ???

It would be nice if they found a way to keep Darrell Thompson. Maybe Conzemius/Thompson on color, with a TBD PBP guy?

I agree on Darrell. He's a decent analyst. And the dude bleeds maroon. He deserves a shot. Wonder where Dave will wind up? Somehow I picture him doing funeral home commercials just like Ray. Except he'll be suggesting that people get embalmed while they're "still not quite dead yet", to quote a certain Monty Python skit.

According to the email I got back fro KFAN, it won't be PA or anyone currently on their staff (I asked about Dave Lee). They said that there had been no final decision made on any of that stuff yet.

According to the email I got back fro KFAN, it won't be PA or anyone currently on their staff (I asked about Dave Lee). They said that there had been no final decision made on any of that stuff yet.

In all honesty, this makes me feel a little bit better.

I'm glad that Dave Lee is gone, but I'm not pleased that WCCO is losing Gopher football.

I agree it won't be PA, but Wayne L. (PA Wis. buddy) pulls it off.

Wayne L doesn't do Badger football. Matt Lepay does the analysis and Mike Lucas does the color commentary (they've been the duo for 16 seasons according to UWSports).

Top Bottom