Spring Practice Observations

He wore 27 last time I saw him and has 27 listed as his number on the GopherSports.com roster. I'm OK with my mistake here. No reason to rethink my life yet. Now if I got worked up over how someone on a message board referred to players then I may have to rethink that.

There is a running back wearing #27. But it ain't brooks. I'm not worked up about how you like to type players, I just think it's stupid and harder to type than just their name. But if you are going to put in the extra effort you might as well get them right. If you can't make it to a practice at least watch the videos posted here. You can see his number is 8 in the videos too.

There is a running back wearing #27. But it ain't brooks. I'm not worked up about how you like to type players, I just think it's stupid and harder to type than just their name. But if you are going to put in the extra effort you might as well get them right. If you can't make it to a practice at least watch the videos posted here. You can see his number is 8 in the videos too.

I don't doubt he is #8, I just didn't know about the change. I think the RB you saw must have been JJ27.

I don't doubt he is #8, I just didn't know about the change. I think the RB you saw must have been JJ27.

Your system might actually be easier for the new #27... I'll give you that so I'll just call him JJ. And yes you are correct he was wearing #27. I wonder why Brooks changed... was it for JJ or did Brooks want the change.... I wish it was football season. Anyway do you want to talk about anything that happened at practice besides a number change?

Anyway do you want to talk about anything that happened at practice besides a number change?

I actually did. I talked about SB<b>8</b> and RS24 being in the backfield at the same time. Then, a couple people went off on the # thing.

Made it to practice finally on Saturday. Are the rules that we can't post anything specific on the internet the reason there is practically zero info in this thread besides what the media says?

It was a great practice. Both the offense and the defense had highlights. Liked thew new offensive line coach. Offense seemed to be struggling with the new offense a little, the TEs and WRs seemed to struggle with getting lined up.

Only specifics about players I'll say have already been posted by the media:
Leidner honestly looks like he has lost 20 lbs to me, he looks fit and was moving just fine but didn't participate past 7 on 7 drills
Demry croft definitely put on weight/muscle
Seth Green has a weird throwing motion. Hard to describe but it almost looks like a side are frisbee flick. Very slow on the back swing and takes a long time to get the ball out. Other than that, he looked the part.
OL looked to be what is posted earlier, new guys looked great.

Got me excited for the season! If any of you haven't been to an open practice and are able to make one I highly recommend it.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/l7Ky808S5hA5O" width="480" height="380" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/l7Ky808S5hA5O">Hmmm...</a></p>

I'm sure we'd love to hear what type of scheme they are actually installing, particularly in the run game, but that's probably the kind of stuff that is verboten. I would think commenting on individual players, like whether Melvin Holland has better hands or if Gentry looked good, or Green had nice touch and accuracy are all green lighted.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/l7Ky808S5hA5O" width="480" height="380" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/l7Ky808S5hA5O">Hmmm...</a></p>

yes. exactly like this.

I'm sure we'd love to hear what type of scheme they are actually installing, particularly in the run game, but that's probably the kind of stuff that is verboten. I would think commenting on individual players, like whether Melvin Holland has better hands or if Gentry looked good, or Green had nice touch and accuracy are all green lighted.

I mean I agree with you and I'm tempted to post more but the rules did mention no info on individual players. Since I did see the newspaper reported on it I'll also say that Smith fumbled twice. One was a bad fumble, the 2nd was when he got hurt. He did step up and completely lay out a line backer one time, great block.

Huh. Ok, wierd rule as its not a game week but obviously they can do what they want to do.

Hmm about the injuries. I hope once spring is over they give him all the time to rest up for August. These backs, if healthy, can be scary good for us this year. Groin pulls, hernias etc etc...ugh.

I'm sure they won't mind if you say a little about whether Winston Delattiboudere or Bryce Witham look game-ready...

Burns and Goblirsch can write posts about this stuff but not you?

Made it to practice finally on Saturday. Are the rules that we can't post anything specific on the internet the reason there is practically zero info in this thread besides what the media says?

It was a great practice. Both the offense and the defense had highlights. Liked thew new offensive line coach. Offense seemed to be struggling with the new offense a little, the TEs and WRs seemed to struggle with getting lined up.

Leidner honestly looks like he has lost 20 lbs to me, he looks fit and was moving just fine but didn't participate past 7 on 7 drills
Seth Green has a weird throwing motion. Hard to describe but it almost looks like a side are frisbee flick. Very slow on the back swing and takes a long time to get the ball out. Other than that, he looked the part.

Got me excited for the season! If any of you haven't been to an open practice and are able to make one I highly recommend it.

Not sure if anybody said this yet, but Leidner stated he had gotten to 250 by season's end...so he probably does look thinner but is really just back to his normal playing weight.

I'm not sure words can describe how much I like the idea of SB27 and RS24 in the backfield on the same play. Misdirection, counters, sweeps, screens - either direction. Absolutely love it.

If you are going to insist in continuing to use your "cool" numbers instead of names you could at least get them right. :cool02:

Will this mean he can throw it over mountains?

I'm way more concerned with spirals than throwing motion.

Thanks for posting bottlebass. Wonder how JJ is comin' along. Also, have we already gotten the JC RB in? If so wonder how he looks.

Huh. Ok, wierd rule as its not a game week but obviously they can do what they want to do.

Hmm about the injuries. I hope once spring is over they give him all the time to rest up for August. These backs, if healthy, can be scary good for us this year. Groin pulls, hernias etc etc...ugh.

Burns and Goblirsch can write posts about this stuff but not you?

I think maybe they have had the same rule each year and I just didn't notice. The press get special privileges including being able to use cameras and recording devices. I really don't think anything i would say would be a big deal. It would be more statements like "still had an awesome TD catch and I think he is showing signs he could have a real good year" (this is true btw, he had a great TD catch)

Thanks for posting bottlebass. Wonder how JJ is comin' along. Also, have we already gotten the JC RB in? If so wonder how he looks.

JJ was getting a lot of snaps. He seems to be the same size as the other guys, just didn't seem to have the same "first move in the hole" as brooks or smith. He was also running behind the 3rd string OL so there is that. Who is the JC running back? The canadian kid (whats his name Femi-cole?) was practicing and he is completely ripped. I noticed we don't have any bigger backs, they all seemed to be about the same size/weight.

I think maybe they have had the same rule each year and I just didn't notice. The press get special privileges including being able to use cameras and recording devices. I really don't think anything i would say would be a big deal. It would be more statements like "still had an awesome TD catch and I think he is showing signs he could have a real good year" (this is true btw, he had a great TD catch)

I think it's all a bit silly. The only reason for its existence at a public practice would be as a mechanism to draw bigger crowds. It can't be for secrecy reasons.

It would be nice to get varied opinions from seasoned eyes, apart from the guys that run the pay sites.

Yeah i guess you make a good point, it was a public practice and although I consider myself an elite football mind I doubt I could spill the beans on anything actually important. I just don't want to be the only one posting info technically against the rules.

Yeah i guess you make a good point, it was a public practice and although I consider myself an elite football mind I doubt I could spill the beans on anything actually important. I just don't want to be the only one posting info technically against the rules.

Don't we all (lol)

Thanks for the tidbits.

JJ was getting a lot of snaps. He seems to be the same size as the other guys, just didn't seem to have the same "first move in the hole" as brooks or smith. He was also running behind the 3rd string OL so there is that. Who is the JC running back? The canadian kid (whats his name Femi-cole?) was practicing and he is completely ripped. I noticed we don't have any bigger backs, they all seemed to be about the same size/weight.

I thought we recruited a Junior College RB this year, a bigger guy. Maybe I'm mistaken?

I'm way more concerned with spirals than throwing motion.

Agree. Not many successful NFL QB's with a side arm motion, but there have been plenty successful college QB's with this motion.

No, same rules as in the past to my knowledge. They've always had a warning about it. It's become much looser since Kill's first season. There just were only two practices total open to the public thus far. I've posted notes on a good number of them in the past as have a couple others, but I haven't made it to a practice yet this Spring and apparently others haven't either? Burns and others have posted already this season of injuries in practice, new defensive schemes, the status of our starting QB's health, which recruits are in attendance, etc. Fire away with your best info.

Top Bottom