Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has nothing to do with him going to Wisconsin. I would've said the same thing if he had gone to Iowa State.

It has everything to do with him going where he won't have a good shot to contribute, while if he had come here he would have an excellent shot to contribute.

Sorry, but I will absolutely call that out for what it is: poor decision-making.

It has nothing to do with him going to Wisconsin. I would've said the same thing if he had gone to Iowa State.

It has everything to do with him going where he won't have a good shot to contribute, while if he had come here he would have an excellent shot to contribute.

Sorry, but I will absolutely call that out for what it is: poor decision-making.
I hate Wisconsin more than anything in the world, but you have to be incredibly arrogant/dense to think that you know what the best decision is for any kid to play college football, Mahlman or otherwise.

I hate Wisconsin more than anything in the world, but you have to be incredibly arrogant/dense to think that you know what the best decision is for any kid to play college football, Mahlman or otherwise.
Stop pretending like this is so hard. He has two 5* ahead of him.

I'm sure he'll have a great time in Madison partying.

I am not going to call out a kid from Minnesota for going somewhere else, but the trend of not being able to get the top in-state lineman is disturbing. My dream school was Minnesota, but I did play sports at that level.

I think some folks have shown that we recruit in state fairly well when you look at the numbers.

As for linemen there's very very few really good (DL or OL) linemen out of high school, the competition for those roles is fierce, that's no magic that happens in state when EVERYONE comes looking for linemen.

Last edited:

per Shama:

With no verbal commits of late, and with other programs adding quality players, the Gophers have fallen to No. 27 in the class of 2021 football recruiting rankings by 247Sports. Minnesota has been in the top 20 for most of the year.

Go Gophers!!

OTs ahead of him on current roster, including 2021 commits--in 2019 class: Logan Brown (5*) 0.9915; in the 2020 class: Trey Wedig (high 4*) 0.9641 & Jack Nelson (high 4*) 0.9539; ahead of him in the 2021 class: Nolan Rucci (5*) 0.9906 & JP Benzshawel (mid 4*) 0.9422. All these mentioned kids rate significantly higher than Dunlap and Faalale. The way WI is pulling in OT recruits, Mahlmann should reasonably expect that the 2022 and 2023 class will also bring in a few OTs rated higher than him. Sure, there will be injuries and such, but he could easily, even if coming along well, find himself at 6th or lower on the OT depth chart at WI. Can anybody name #6 on OT depth chart for the Gophers? It's his choice and he's free to make it and enjoy it, but he must have absolutely superb confidence in his own abilities. Interested to see how it turns out for him.

OTs ahead of him on current roster, including 2021 commits--in 2019 class: Logan Brown (5*) 0.9915; in the 2020 class: Trey Wedig (high 4*) 0.9641 & Jack Nelson (high 4*) 0.9539; ahead of him in the 2021 class: Nolan Rucci (5*) 0.9906 & JP Benzshawel (mid 4*) 0.9422. All these mentioned kids rate significantly higher than Dunlap and Faalale. The way WI is pulling in OT recruits, Mahlmann should reasonably expect that the 2022 and 2023 class will also bring in a few OTs rated higher than him. Sure, there will be injuries and such, but he could easily, even if coming along well, find himself at 6th or lower on the OT depth chart at WI. Can anybody name #6 on OT depth chart for the Gophers? It's his choice and he's free to make it and enjoy it, but he must have absolutely superb confidence in his own abilities. Interested to see how it turns out for him.
And he’s too tall/long to switch to interior. Ideal for those are stouter, 6’3”-6’5” guys.

I guess Wisc is his (and/or his Dad’s) dream school. So he’s going to try it. I just think he’s gonna get buried. But maybe he’ll come out on top, we’ll see.

A few of the recruits were at a 7 on 7 tournament last weekend in Minnesota. The TE looks like the real deal. There were a few Div 1 QB's present. The gophers QB looks about 180 pounds thin legs, he was throwing to his brother, he likes to throw the ball hard. The Colorado State QB was about 6 foot 5 and had leverage and 4 Div. 1 receivers to work with, one of them is going to Oregon. They lost to a Minnesota team. The TG QB beat the same team, he had the best touch on the ball and looked to weigh about 30 pounds more then each of them. I was impressed with the speed of some of the Minnesota guys.

Last edited:

And he’s too tall/long to switch to interior. Ideal for those are stouter, 6’3”-6’5” guys.

I guess Wisc is his (and/or his Dad’s) dream school. So he’s going to try it. I just think he’s gonna get buried. But maybe he’ll come out on top, we’ll see.
Yep, buried is probably right but its likely the kids dream to go there. Maybe he's confident and good enough to play over some of the higher rated guys. Or, maybe he never plays and is fine with that. He could transfer down the road if he never sees the field.

If Mahlman is good enough he'll get playing time. Forget the stars because they don't matter in college. Rucci has already said he'll probably redshirt. I wouldn't be surprised if Mahlman redshirts too. They both need to put on weight. Regardless of the stars any one of these kids would have to be a truly special talent to see the field as a true freshman, or there would have to be serious depth issues. I believe the only true freshman to ever start on Wisconsin's offensive line was Travis Frederick and that was due to injuries.

I'll happily take him,but the logic of you have no shot to play at WI but will be star here seems to be an odd argument
Yeah it seems bitter.

Kids make decisions for all sorts of reasons, some want to take a long shot and be a 3* at bama or walk on someplace generally outside their 'range'. Others want it differently.

Now I've NO IDEA if that's what this guy is up to, maybe he will start day 1, duno.... just say'n there's lots of good paths and I'm not going to argue with any of the good ones.

so to be clear you guys want an OT you don't think is good enough to start for WI?
Great point. I don't care which state these guys come from, as long as they are great football players. MN is not a football hotbed. Hockey, yes.

I am not going to call out a kid from Minnesota for going somewhere else, but the trend of not being able to get the top in-state lineman is disturbing. My dream school was Minnesota, but I did not. play sports at that level.

Teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame are putting linemen in the NFL. It's a battle to sell that to local kids until we start getting some guys drafted. I think we can beat Iowa and Wisconsin for most of the WRs we want for the same reason.

A few of the recruits were at a 7 on 7 tournament last weekend in Minnesota. The TE looks like the real deal. There were a few Div 1 QB's present. The gophers QB looks about 180 pounds thin legs, he was throwing to his brother, he likes to throw the ball hard. The Colorado State QB was about 6 foot 5 and had leverage and 4 Div. 1 receivers to work with, one of them is going to Oregon. They lost to a Minnesota team. The TG QB beat the same team, he had the best touch on the ball and looked to weigh about 30 pounds more then each of them. I was impressed with the speed of some of the Minnesota guys.

You seem to be at a lot of events that the TG QB participates in.

Yeah it seems bitter.

Kids make decisions for all sorts of reasons, some want to take a long shot and be a 3* at bama or walk on someplace generally outside their 'range'. Others want it differently.

Now I've NO IDEA if that's what this guy is up to, maybe he will start day 1, duno.... just say'n there's lots of good paths and I'm not going to argue with any of the good ones.
Well, he grew up in Lakeville. So that means he was probably brought up to believe that Minneapolis is where a bunch of scary gangs live.

Mahlman drank the Badger koolaid. Can't blame him for thinking that way.

Well, the Badgers have a crowded field that got even more so. If I were him, I'd stick with the hometown Gophers. He would get lots of playing time and help build the OL program.

The Gophers have demonstrated with the addition of Dunlop and Faalele that they can recruit OLs and WIN.

Take a look at the current roster and see what you think. They are Big Ten thin with only 14 OLs on the roster. Wisconsin has 19 and Iowa 20. The Gophers have seven Juniors to Red Shirt Seniors. If Dunlop, Faalele, Schmitz, or Andries in combination decide to leave early, it will be very hairy. Ergo, the urgency to recruit more OLs. IMHO, they should carry 18-20 OLs in combination of scholies and walk-ons.

In 2021, the Gophers are adding three new OLs: Chicago IL OL Cameron James - 6' 8", 280 lbs, 0.8747; Annandale MN OL Logan Purcell - 6' 7", 245 lbs, 0.8639; Jacksonville FLA OL Austin Barber - 6' 7". 315 lbs, 0.8519.

PJ Fleck needs a home run OL recruiting class in 2022 similar to the Dunlop/Faalele coup.

64Conner OlsonOL6-5305R-Sr.Monticello, Minn. / Monticello
70Sam SchlueterOL6-6325R-Sr.Victoria, Minn. / Mayer Lutheran
60John Michael SchmitzOL6-4315R-Jr.Flossmoor, Ill. / Homewood-Flossmoor
65Axel RuschmeyerOL6-4305R-Jr.Hutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
77Blaise AndriesOL6-6325R-Jr.Marshall, Minn. / Marshall
78Daniel FaaleleOL6-9400Jr.Melbourne, Australia / IMG Academy
51Curtis Dunlap Jr.OL6-5345R-So.Jacksonville, Fla. / IMG Academy
63Austin BeierOL6-4310R-So.Toledo, Ohio / St. John's
66Nathan BoeOL6-4295R-So.Lakeville, Minn. / Lakeville North
50JJ GuedetOL6-7310R-Fr.Washington, Ill. / Washington Community High School
56Cody SmithOL6-4295R-Fr.Eagan, Minn. / Eagan
75Tyler CooperOL6-5310R-Fr.Saint Croix Falls, Wis. / Saint Croix Falls High School
68Jackson RuschmeyerOL6-5295Fr.Hutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
73Tyrell LawrenceOL6-7345Fr.Mississauga, Ontario / Clearwater Academy International

Last edited:

^^ too much common sense in that post. You'll probably be attacked for it.

Although, one thing to point out is anyone who plays this year automatically is allowed to get an extra year of eligibility, if they want it. The NCAA has already approved that rule.

So in other words, it does not apply to the incoming 2021 class, even if they enroll early.

Per Ryan Burns, Steven Ortiz is quoted as saying.

"A few schools have still hit me or my coaches up asking if I would flip, but I'm all in with Minnesota. I tell them that, and they usually leave it alone after that. I'm 1000000% committed to Minnesota, and I'll enroll after I graduate in May. I'm also still talking with Jaydon Hood, but who knows what happens."

1. I'm nervous that he is only 1,000,000% committed.

2. Glad to see he is hitting the recruiting rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom