Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Ryan Burns, Steven Ortiz is quoted as saying.

"A few schools have still hit me or my coaches up asking if I would flip, but I'm all in with Minnesota. I tell them that, and they usually leave it alone after that. I'm 1000000% committed to Minnesota, and I'll enroll after I graduate in May. I'm also still talking with Jaydon Hood, but who knows what happens."

1. I'm nervous that he is only 1,000,000% committed.

2. Glad to see he is hitting the recruiting rounds.
Wiltfong “10 Lock” to Michigan.

Wiltfong “10 Lock” to Michigan.

Until Hood signs on the dotted line Ortiz has time to work on him. So excited to see what Ortiz does when he gets out here. He feels a lot like CC did when he was committed here, 1000% on board and trying to bring others along for the ride. With CC though there was the local connection, awesome to see this kind of buy in and dedication from a highly rated out of state player.

Until Hood signs on the dotted line Ortiz has time to work on him. So excited to see what Ortiz does when he gets out here. He feels a lot like CC did when he was committed here, 1000% on board and trying to bring others along for the ride. With CC though there was the local connection, awesome to see this kind of buy in and dedication from a highly rated out of state player.

Speaking of...

1000000% on board

I can't remember where I heard it... whether it was on here, TGR or on ESPN 590 Omaha.... but I remember hearing Dickerson is starting to reopen communications with Nebby and it might be HIM reaching out to learn more. Some outside speculation his best friend Koby Bretz is in his ear. Should we be worried?

I can't remember where I heard it... whether it was on here, TGR or on ESPN 590 Omaha.... but I remember hearing Dickerson is starting to reopen communications with Nebby and it might be HIM reaching out to learn more. Some outside speculation his best friend Koby Bretz is in his ear. Should we be worried?

Would seem like if there was a lot of chatter about him looking around we would have seen more reports of it on here. The reality in recruiting is that you should never take anything for granted until they sign on the dotted line as we have countless examples of kids changing their mind.

Right now Ortiz is about the only guy in the class I see zero chance of switching as he has been so out front about his commitment to the U of M and his desire to be here.

Would seem like if there was a lot of chatter about him looking around we would have seen more reports of it on here. The reality in recruiting is that you should never take anything for granted until they sign on the dotted line as we have countless examples of kids changing their mind.

Right now Ortiz is about the only guy in the class I see zero chance of switching as he has been so out front about his commitment to the U of M and his desire to be here.
I feel really safe about Ortiz, Eastern, the Kaliakmanis twins, Geers, and Purcell.

I think the Gophers offered both Kaliakmanis Irish twins a position to get the QB, the family did not want to have to split time. I think the gophers were the only team to offer both. I think the backup QB's brother received a scholarship this year.

Four star or three star....it's all so confusing.

247 seems to prefer to reference their own ratings in text (they have him as a low-4-star 90 rating), but their site defaults to display the 247Composite. Leads to some seemingly strange statements like this one.

per Sid:

• 247 Sports ranks the Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class 27th in the nation and seventh in the Big Ten behind Ohio State (No. 2 overall), Michigan (No. 10), Wisconsin (No. 15), Maryland (No. 20), Iowa (No. 21) and Nebraska (No. 22).

Go Gophers!!

Mahlman drank the Badger koolaid. Can't blame him for thinking that way.

Well, the Badgers have a crowded field that got even more so. If I were him, I'd stick with the hometown Gophers. He would get lots of playing time and help build the OL program.

The Gophers have demonstrated with the addition of Dunlop and Faalele that they can recruit OLs and WIN.

Take a look at the current roster and see what you think. They are Big Ten thin with only 14 OLs on the roster. Wisconsin has 19 and Iowa 20. The Gophers have seven Juniors to Red Shirt Seniors. If Dunlop, Faalele, Schmitz, or Andries in combination decide to leave early, it will be very hairy. Ergo, the urgency to recruit more OLs. IMHO, they should carry 18-20 OLs in combination of scholies and walk-ons.

In 2021, the Gophers are adding three new OLs: Chicago IL OL Cameron James - 6' 8", 280 lbs, 0.8747; Annandale MN OL Logan Purcell - 6' 7", 245 lbs, 0.8639; Jacksonville FLA OL Austin Barber - 6' 7". 315 lbs, 0.8519.

PJ Fleck needs a home run OL recruiting class in 2022 similar to the Dunlop/Faalele coup.

64Conner OlsonOL6-5305R-Sr.Monticello, Minn. / Monticello
70Sam SchlueterOL6-6325R-Sr.Victoria, Minn. / Mayer Lutheran
60John Michael SchmitzOL6-4315R-Jr.Flossmoor, Ill. / Homewood-Flossmoor
65Axel RuschmeyerOL6-4305R-Jr.Hutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
77Blaise AndriesOL6-6325R-Jr.Marshall, Minn. / Marshall
78Daniel FaaleleOL6-9400Jr.Melbourne, Australia / IMG Academy
51Curtis Dunlap Jr.OL6-5345R-So.Jacksonville, Fla. / IMG Academy
63Austin BeierOL6-4310R-So.Toledo, Ohio / St. John's
66Nathan BoeOL6-4295R-So.Lakeville, Minn. / Lakeville North
50JJ GuedetOL6-7310R-Fr.Washington, Ill. / Washington Community High School
56Cody SmithOL6-4295R-Fr.Eagan, Minn. / Eagan
75Tyler CooperOL6-5310R-Fr.Saint Croix Falls, Wis. / Saint Croix Falls High School
68Jackson RuschmeyerOL6-5295Fr.Hutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
73Tyrell LawrenceOL6-7345Fr.Mississauga, Ontario / Clearwater Academy International
Yes, we definitely need to increase the OL numbers:depth. We are undermanned right now vis-a-vis programs like Wisconsin and Iowa, and we could be in a world of hurt with 6 of 6 starters (counting JMS) draft-eligible after this season. We have been getting OL recruits lately who could turn out to be great, but most are longer-term projects. High 4 star OL recruits usually reach playing capability earlier (not always, of course). The real reason I care about Mahlmann’s decision is not that I think he, personally, would be a star at the U. It is because he, Benhart, Carroll and other top-rated Minnesota HS lineman have snubbed the U. I would love to see P.J. reach a point at which the best Minnesota HS OL guys rush to commit to the U (as they do in Wisconsin and Iowa) not only out of loyalty but out of enlightened self interest. We’re not there yet. Top recruit in Minnesota for 2022 is Lucas Heyer, a 4* OL guy, from Hill-Murray. Would be a great get for the Gophers not just talent wise, but because it might signal a shift—that top local OL recruits see the U as a desirable, not just viable, landing spot.

Last edited:

Yes, we definitely need to increase the OL numbers:depth. We are undermanned right now vis-a-vis programs like Wisconsin and Iowa, and we could be in a world of hurt with 6 of 6 starters (counting JMS) draft-eligible after this season. We have been getting OL recruits lately who could turn out to be great, but most are longer-term projects. High 4 star OL recruits usually reach playing capability earlier (not always, of course). The real reason I care about Mahlmann’s decision is not that I think he, personally, would be a star at the U. It is because he, Benhart, Carroll and other top-rated Minnesota HS lineman have snubbed the U. I would love to see P.J. reach a point at which the best Minnesota HS OL guys rush to commit to the U (as they do in Wisconsin and Iowa) not only out of loyalty but out of enlightened self interest. We’re not there yet. Top recruit in Minnesota for 2022 is Lucas Heyer, a 4* OL guy, from Hill-Murray. Would be a great get for the Gophers not just talent wise, but because it might signal a shift—that top local OL recruits see the U as a desirable, not just viable, landing spot.
Seems to be working out quite well for Andries!

Seems to be working out quite well for Andries!
I agree about Andries. He was in the 2017 recruiting class (pre-P.J.). I’m trying to think of a scholarship OL player we got from Minnesota in the 2018, -19, -20 or so far in 2021 recruiting classes. None come to mind (I’m probably forgetting someone). The State has produced some decent OL men in those recruiting classes. I like the out-of-state guys we did get, but do wish that we could pull a few top OL recruits from Minnesota HSs. Not sure why I feel this way, just do ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom