Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have to remember the gophers are still going to have to recruit "lower rated players" that they evaluate and like. One year of success hasn't made us a helmet school where we can land whoever we want. Getting 3* guys will still likely be the norm.

home state school
That doesn't seem to carry much weight here, unless they grew up Gopher fans. No idea if he did, but a lot of Lakeville guys seem to find their way over to Madison for whatever reason.

And it's only a 4 hour drive home.

great 2021 class shaping up
Wisconsin also has a great 2021 class shaping up, including Mahlman they also have three 4* guys, other two from Wisc, one of which is yet another 4* OT.

Last edited:

Somebody that keeps track of rosters more than I do can double check this. I think the BADgers have 7 scholarship OTs that are either Freshman (4) or Sophomores(3); the Gophers I think have two (Guedet and Faalele). If that's right, he's going to have a lot tougher time seeing the field in BADger land.
Although not 100% accurate, you can go to the offer list and look at the "roster outlook" for each school, on 247: https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Riley-Mahlman-117161/RecruitInterests/

Wisconsin's 2019 and 2020 classes have four tackles that are 4* or higher. (Tippman, Brown, Wedig, Nelson) -- also the other 4* OT in the 2021 class I mentioned above.

Our 2019 and 2020 classes have three 3* tackles (Guedet, Lewis, Ersery).

So you've probably hit on what would be the biggest ammo we have to try to flip him. They are stacked at OT.

Have to remember the gophers are still going to have to recruit "lower rated players" that they evaluate and like. One year of success hasn't made us a helmet school where we can land whoever we want. Getting 3* guys will still likely be the norm.
Yep, just as it is at every P5 school that isn't a historic conference champion contender or helmet school.

That doesn't seem to carry much weight here, unless they grew up Gopher fans. No idea if he did, but a lot of Lakeville guys seem to find their way over to Madison for whatever reason.

Wisconsin also has a great 2021 class shaping up, including Mahlman they also have three 4* guys, other two from Wisc, one of which is yet another 4* OT.

You asked for what ammo we would have to potentially flip him and I gave it. No clue what the kid will do but I could see plenty of reasons for why he might consider changing his mind and staying home as opposed to going to Wiscoinsin.

You asked for what ammo we would have to potentially flip him and I gave it. No clue what the kid will do but I could see plenty of reasons for why he might consider changing his mind and staying home as opposed to going to Wiscoinsin.
I think much better ammo will be playing time, with respect to how much competition he will be up against at Wisc. They are stacked at OT right now, 2019, 2020, and 2021 classes each have two that are 4* or 5*.

certainly has size and length to work with! Solid addition! with him being our 3rd CB commit lets go get ourselves a high end safety or 2 in this class to round out a heck of a DB group!
My choice at safety is Benjamin Perry from Illinois. Mt back-up is Darius Green out of Georgia.

Even helmet schools do this. Michigan has 84, 80, and NR players signed to their 2021 class already. Most of the other helmet schools I looked at have similar players in their 2021 classes.

I think most of us are aware of that.

My alma matter is letting me down sending kids to Wi

Even helmet schools do this. Michigan has 84, 80, and NR players signed to their 2021 class already. Most of the other helmet schools I looked at have similar players in their 2021 classes.

Yeah, I know this is new territory but even with sustained success and continued upticks in recruiting we will still be signing plenty to 3* guys in the range of guys like Boyd and Crumpley. And even some below that range.

The difference between where we have been and where we hope to be is that in the past a .85 guy would have been close to the top of the class and one of the highlights whereas what we hope is to get to the point where the highlights are the 4* guys in the 90s with the 3* guys filling in around them and providing solid depth. That is what the top programs do on a year to year basis in recruiting. A handful of stars surrounded by quality depth and development players.

Yeah, I know this is new territory but even with sustained success and continued upticks in recruiting we will still be signing plenty to 3* guys in the range of guys like Boyd and Crumpley. And even some below that range.

The difference between where we have been and where we hope to be is that in the past a .85 guy would have been close to the top of the class and one of the highlights whereas what we hope is to get to the point where the highlights are the 4* guys in the 90s with the 3* guys filling in around them and providing solid depth. That is what the top programs do on a year to year basis in recruiting. A handful of stars surrounded by quality depth and development players.

Well said. LSU turned .7982 composite Justin Jefferson into a probably 1st round pick.

FWIW, Ohio State fans on Eleven Warriors speak very highly about Fleck and the Minnesota program in general and seem to have a lot of respect for what's being built over here. They're saying they'd like to see us challenge them for the B1G and they seem to be over the Skunks as they believe they've had their chance over the last handful of years.

Personally I think the staff could do a little bit better with the last corner spot than this, which is why I wish they'd hold out for someone better. Frankly, they can afford to after the Ortiz/Dickerson commitments. But since Bank crystal ball'ed him here, strong chance he's committed. Bank is one of the most plugged in guys in Ohio.

Have lots of connections there and am familiar with the HS football scene (cincy included), and many I've talked to haven't heard much about the kid. Surprising since he goes to a large school such as Winton Woods and plays in a state with high interest in HS FB. I've had a ton of praise for the staff's recruiting efforts lately, but here I think they're settling. Just my opinion, no love lost though.
I think this was PJ letting Haynes stick with his guy. Looks like he build a relationship with him at Michigan St. and then allowed that to continue at Minnesota. He has some quality offers so I'm good with it. Plus I like Haynes getting his guys.

Reading through after posting this, looks like a lot of agreement on this.

I think this was PJ letting Haynes stick with his guy. Looks like he build a relationship with him at Michigan St. and then allowed that to continue at Minnesota. He has some quality offers so I'm good with it. Plus I like Haynes getting his guys.

Reading through after posting this, looks like a lot of agreement on this.

Smart move by Fleck. Haynes and Dantonio certainly have produced a lot of good DBs.

Can't get hung up on stars. We need quality players who have brains, fit in with the culture, willing to work hard without gripping, and show much potential as to body growth etc. I like the recent pick up as he will fit that mold well.

Sounds like something Bryce Benhart is thinking these days...

From what I recalled hearing, the Bryce Benhart camp did not like PJ Fleck's schtick and wouldn't give the Gophers a shot if that was true.

I still would love this 6' 9" OT and gladly take him back if he decides to come home.

PJ Fleck like to turn lemons into lemonade. Guys like Crumpley will turn into 4-Star players in development.

From what I recalled hearing, the Bryce Benhart camp did not like PJ Fleck's schtick and wouldn't give the Gophers a shot if that was true.

I still would love this 6' 9" OT and gladly take him back if he decides to come home.
And now he's playing on a team where he'll never even make it to a bowl game, and he's getting a crappy degree. But hey, the folks in Nebraska are nice. Gotta give 'em credit for that.

Getting a guy who has a ton of local D1 offers (KY, IN, Cin, Pitt, Maryland, ect) is a recruiting win if he matches culture and need. Wasnt long ago beating anyone for a recruit that was from a P5 made us pee our pants.

FWIW, 247 seems to be fairly high on him. They rate Regis an 88, which would be upper half of the guys currently in the Gopher class.

They rate him fairly high, and yet he's ranked the 91st player in Texas.

I have never understood how Texas is not an Alabama year in and year out with the sick talent in that state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom