Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

from listening to interviews, definitely seems like they're hoping Ortiz will play the Winfield role and that the other 2 are more outside guys who can either press or run with people. love the height as well. big CBs with long arms are a huge advantage if they can run at the college (and pro) level
Ortiz could play basically any of the DB positions, but I believe he was recruited as a nickel DB, i.e. the role Chris Williamson has had the last few years. He can cover slot WRs and tackle in the box.

They rate him fairly high, and yet he's ranked the 91st player in Texas.

I have never understood how Texas is not an Alabama year in and year out with the sick talent in that state.
Because Texas has to compete with Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech. Not to mention their border rivals Oklahoma.

Here’s at lower rated recruit (0.8285) who did OK.
AWjr was easy to evaluate as a future star. I said it time and time again because I had so much inside information on hims and got to watch him play in high school. His size was a deterrent to some, which shows how many times kids are poorly evaluated by schools. Hell the NFL cant figure it out either. So far, there is no reason not to trust Fleck and his staff to evaluate talent.

They rate him fairly high, and yet he's ranked the 91st player in Texas.

I have never understood how Texas is not an Alabama year in and year out with the sick talent in that state.
Alabama is only Alabama because of Saban! If Saban had gone to Texas, the Longhorns would be every bit as good as Alabama.

There’s something interesting going on with his recruiting. I don’t what it is, but in early 2019 he had offers from Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Notre Dame. He has taken at least two visits to OSU. Then two days ago he gets 8 offers, and 2 (Gophers and Volunteers) make his top 5.

That would be huge. If he doesn't go to OSU, I'd be kinda shocked though
He actually doesn't have a committable offer from OSU, so really it's a Final 4 in this case.
The feeling I get here is that PSU holds the edge at the moment, with Gophers a runner-up.

He actually doesn't have a committable offer from OSU, so really it's a Final 4 in this case.
The feeling I get here is that PSU holds the edge at the moment, with Gophers a runner-up.
Never say never. We've learned that.

Also of note:
  • Jackson plans to verbal to MN, I'm guessing a public announcement comes sometime relatively soon
  • Don't discount Buddin here, he's very interested
  • Mar'Keise Irving has already made his decision and communicated this to this coaching staff at the college he'll be attending
  • Bill Greene of 247 says he really likes Crumpley from what he's seen. Greene's opinion is highly respected in Ohio circles and I'm going to trust his evaluation and the coaching staff's judgement here.

Last edited:

Also of note:
  • Jackson gave his verbal to Fleck, I'm guessing a public announcement comes sometime relatively soon
  • Mar'Keise Irving has already made his decision and communicated this to this coaching staff at the college he'll be attending
  • Bill Greene of 247 says he really likes Crumpley from what he's seen. Greene's opinion is highly respected in Ohio circles and I'm going to trust his evaluation and the coaching staff's judgement here.
Chase or Michael Jackson?

There’s something interesting going on with his recruiting. I don’t what it is, but in early 2019 he had offers from Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Notre Dame. He has taken at least two visits to OSU. Then two days ago he gets 8 offers, and 2 (Gophers and Volunteers) make his top 5.

I noticed those dates as well--I am assuming the offers didn't all come on that day, just were reported at the same time so are listed as such on 247.

Also of note:
  • Jackson gave his verbal to Fleck, I'm guessing a public announcement comes sometime relatively soon

Where did you hear that? People close to the program (who will remain nameless) say that’s not the case. I hope those people are wrong.

Where did you hear that? People close to the program (who will remain nameless) say that’s not the case. I hope those people are wrong.

Just checked, great catch. Plans to verbal to Fleck, but nevertheless still to expect a public announcement in the near future.

Yep, it stems back to his injury sophomore year. He was identified early by top schools because of his burst and athleticism, but has struggled to recover completely and had an unproductive year this fall as a result, against mediocre competition. Helmet school interest has faded and he won't be able to get to camps to prove himself because of COVID. This has allowed some new schools to slide in ala Minnesota.

So we're recruiting two quarterbacks this signing period? What position do you think they have in mind for Sam Jackson?

So we're recruiting two quarterbacks this signing period? What position do you think they have in mind for Sam Jackson?

We're not recruiting Jackson as a QB, but as an ATH, which is why he decommitted in the first place.

Ummm.....how exactly would 6'10" 300 lbs make 6'9" 400 lbs look small? Even if the kid is 7'0" tall, he would have a couple inches of height but would be out weighed by 100 lbs. Thinking Faalele would still look bigger.

Alabama is only Alabama because of Saban! If Saban had gone to Texas, the Longhorns would be every bit as good as Alabama.
Alabama was Alabama long before Saban.

Bear Bryant.

Sure it was a long time ago but Bryant made Alabama a powerhouse long before Saban came around. They weren't dominating anymore but Alabama still had tons of clout when Saban arrived.

Show him the tape of last years game!
-mcdowell-panicked-and-scratched-his-cornea-while-shooting-the-eye-clamp-scene-photo-u2

My alma matter is letting me down sending kids to Wi

With the Minn. OL kids going to Wisc., it is due to them having a pretty good history of OL getting drafted, mainly as a result of Joe Rudolph's coaching.
Well Minn. has a darn good one in Brian Callahan and the players keep getting better all the time., with Sam Schlueter being one of them (who many of you wanted out of there). Three or four of his linemen at Western Michigan were drafted relatively high. Currently he has some at Minnesota that are going to end up playing at the next level too. When you get a opportunity in the future at one of Coach Flecks's open practices go down in the corner and watch the OL group work. There is no screaming or hollering at the players, just constructive coaching. I am sure the word is getting out and people can see how well the offensive line plays. Coach Callahan's group has played a big role in getting the U of M offense turned around. I can see the Malhlman kid fitting in there real well and enjoying it to. I hope the kid gives it some thought as he has a bright future in front of him. As an alum I would certainly enjoy watching him play and staying home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom