Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama was Alabama long before Saban.

Bear Bryant.

Sure it was a long time ago but Bryant made Alabama a powerhouse long before Saban came around. They weren't dominating anymore but Alabama still had tons of clout when Saban arrived.
Well, that's just not true, the last championship Alabama had won was 1992. If you recall even Minnesota beat them in a bowl game in about 2005. Alabama was struggling in mediocrity until Saban got there. Until Saban arrived, Alabama spent 20+ of being a modern day Oklahoma St.

Alabama is only Alabama because of Saban! If Saban had gone to Texas, the Longhorns would be every bit as good as Alabama.
Alabama doesn't do anything special on the field. Saban's coordinators leave to become head coaches elsewhere, and mostly don't work magic at those schools.

At the tip top of college football, all that mostly matters is having more talent than the team you're playing against.

And so I conclude that Saban, and now Dabo, are just really good at "doing whatever it takes (wink,wink,wink)" to get the best talent to go there.

Well, that's just not true, the last championship Alabama had won was 1992. If you recall even Minnesota beat them in a bowl game in about 2005. Alabama was struggling in mediocrity until Saban got there. Until Saban arrived, Alabama spent 20+ of being a modern day Oklahoma St.
Everything I wrote is true. I said it was a long time ago and that they weren't dominating anymore. Their mediocrity would be heaven for a lot of schools. The point was that Alabama was still a blue blood football school before Saban got there. I am not in any way taking anything away from Saban's job at Alabama but it's not like he had Mich. State dominating. He only had one good year there.

Midwest Spotlight: The 12 biggest commitments this spring

This spring has brought a very unique recruiting landscape, forcing coaches to adjust their recruiting approaches. Some staffs are doing that better than others, and being rewarded with new additions to their 2021 recruiting classes. Here is a look at the 12 biggest commitments in the Midwest region through the first four weeks of the spring season.

1. AVANTE DICKERSON, Minnesota

P.J. Fleck has been bulldozing recruiting obstacles and setting new expectations since his time at Western Michigan. He went into Florida and signed a pair of four-star linemen in his first, full recruiting class, and now he goes into the backyard of his Big Ten West rival and lands a Rivals250 defensive back who had never visited Minnesota’s campus. That type of recruiting feat gives the Gophers' the nod for the biggest Midwest commitment this spring.

12. DEVON WILLIAMS, Minnesota

Securing commitments during this time has not been particularly difficult, but flipping commitments without the benefit of hosting prospects on campus is a whole different matter. Minnesota was able to flip Williams from his nearly three-month Kentucky commitment without getting him on campus and despite the fact that he was going from a school he can easily drive to to one he almost certainly has to fly to. That was an impressive feat.

Go Gophers!!

Everything I wrote is true. I said it was a long time ago and that they weren't dominating anymore. Their mediocrity would be heaven for a lot of schools. The point was that Alabama was still a blue blood football school before Saban got there. I am not in any way taking anything away from Saban's job at Alabama but it's not like he had Mich. State dominating. He only had one good year there.

Alabama had a rich tradition but they had fallen way off the National map before Saban got there. Think of when we played them in the bowl game and won and then compare that to last year against Auburn. There really is no comparison. It was nice when we beat Bama but it wasn't seen as a massive deal whereas knocking off Auburn caught the attention of a lot of people.

Alabama had a rich tradition but they had fallen way off the National map before Saban got there. Think of when we played them in the bowl game and won and then compare that to last year against Auburn. There really is no comparison. It was nice when we beat Bama but it wasn't seen as a massive deal whereas knocking off Auburn caught the attention of a lot of people.
They never fell off the National map even though they weren't winning championships. They had five 10+ win seasons from 1992 to Saban taking over. Infact, they were 10-2 just two years before he took over. A few poor seasons for Alabama doesn't mean they weren't still Alabama. Some schools have clout for many years no matter if they deserve it or not. Saban is arguably the best coach ever but he had the massive advantage of coaching at LSU and Alabama.

They never fell off the National map even though they weren't winning championships. They had five 10+ win seasons from 1992 to Saban taking over. Infact, they were 10-2 just two years before he took over. A few poor seasons for Alabama doesn't mean they weren't still Alabama. Some schools have clout for many years no matter if they deserve it or not. Saban is arguably the best coach ever but he had the massive advantage of coaching at LSU and Alabama.

Don't want to stray from the topic this thread is about so this is the last I will say about this in this thread. Off the map may have been an overstatement but a lot of the luster was gone from Alabama in the time from when Stallings was done after 96 and until Saban started his great run in 2008. They were not horrible but they also were not a dominant program in the way they are now. In the 5 seasons leading up to and including our game against them in the Music City Bowl they were 30-31.

Now getting back to the 2021 class. Excited to see who the next player to jump on board is. Lots of big names out there that we appear to be in a great position with. Has been a ton of fun to see some highly regarded players putting us in their final group of schools alongside helmet schools. We may not get them all but it is clear we are getting noticed by some big time prospects.

Don't want to stray from the topic this thread is about so this is the last I will say about this in this thread. Off the map may have been an overstatement but a lot of the luster was gone from Alabama in the time from when Stallings was done after 96 and until Saban started his great run in 2008. They were not horrible but they also were not a dominant program in the way they are now. In the 5 seasons leading up to and including our game against them in the Music City Bowl they were 30-31.

Now getting back to the 2021 class. Excited to see who the next player to jump on board is. Lots of big names out there that we appear to be in a great position with. Has been a ton of fun to see some highly regarded players putting us in their final group of schools alongside helmet schools. We may not get them all but it is clear we are getting noticed by some big time prospects.

Bold = I wrote that exact same thing in my first post. K...done as well.
Go Gophers.

Right now Danny says he cool to his top 6. Lets warm him up a bit!

Anyone have thoughts on Alabama? Would be nice to see on this thread.

Is Sam Jackson someone we really want? I know athletes are important but I prefer positions, unless they are really special athletes. Is he?

Is Sam Jackson someone we really want? I know athletes are important but I prefer positions, unless they are really special athletes. Is he?

I think he is. I see him playing some WR, and some change of pace WC QB. Watch his highlights.

I think so too. The kid can fly.

He’s a human highlight reel. Check out those two throws at :25 and at :45. They both went 60+ in the air.

Here are his Sophomore highlights as a WR.

Last edited:

If fleck wants him, yes

If fleck wants him, yes
Agreed if Fleck wants him i want him. Just look at players like Morgan and Bateman to name a few. Fleck can see things that other coaches overlook and he has proven that composites and stars aren't a true evaluation of a player.

Last edited:

Agreed if Fleck wants him i want him. Just look at players like Morgan and bateman to name a few. Fleck can see things that other coaches overlook and he has proven that composites and stars arnt a true evaluation of a player.
Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom