Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it does have to do with the fact that the 2020 Spring roster would have had four QB's vying for the starting role.

Though I think we would all fall over dead with shock if Morgan didn't win it.

That to me speaks to at least one QB, if not two, transferring out. That was all put on hold with cv19.
There's also class separation heading into next year with Morgan a Jr, Annexstad likely at SO with the redshirt likely impending and Clark and Kramer both RS FR. So with that separation and with the fact that I don't really know of any program under the sun who would offer Clark or Kramer a starting gig, the only possible transfer is Annexstad and he's coming off injury and was considered possible for starter last year. On top of that, he seems to love PJ and the U. Would imagine we see them all on the roster in the fall and through next year. That's just my 2 cents. Now if recruits come in next year (in spring ball) and look like they will bypass someone or if Annexstad gets passed by Clark or Kramer, he may want to go elsewhere (same as the current FR). But 4 guys competing is really not too many when they are separated by class on your top 2 and the others are FR. We aren't talking about 5 star guys who get offers to compete to start (and remember its just to compete a la Hunter Johnson who was abysmal for NW). Our guys probably have their best chance here unless they want to go try compete at FCS (the only place that would probably be perceivable for them to start). otherwise bide your time and learn and hope you get your shot (guessing Kramer didn't think he'd see the field, much less throw a meaningful pass when last year started)

After the flurry of recruiting activity we have had over the past few weeks it feels strange to go multiple days without any real news.

Draft is over, we need some more commits.... :)

After the flurry of recruiting activity we have had over the past few weeks it feels strange to go multiple days without any real news.

Draft is over, we need some more commits.... :)
I'm sure Fleck is planting seeds everywhere and working with his current commits.

PJ Fleck and staff are the masters of coronavirus era recruiting.

I know we're all spoiled by ratings lately but his offer list includes Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Arizona, Syracuse, Virginia and BC. In years past, we would have been pretty eager to get this guy.

Even the top 10 level classes have plenty of 3* players mixed in as well. Kid looks like a legit power 5 OL prospect so if he commits here at some point would be more then happy to have him regardless of whether or not it would pull our rating down some.

per Eleven Warriors:

MINNESOTA IS BURNING HOT
It's hard to ignore what P.J. Fleck is doing in Minnesota. Last week, Fleck landed the Golden Gophers' second highest-ranked commitment ever, according to 247Sports, in four-star cornerback Avante Dickerson. In addition to landing Dickerson, the Golden Gophers' staff showed its wide recruiting footprint by land a commitment from an Ohio- and Georgia-based player in addition to Dickerson being from Nebraska.

This week, Minnesota landed three more commitments, including one from four-star athlete Sam Jackson out of Naperville Central High School (Ill.). Jackson now becomes the highest-rated offensive skilled player for the Golden Gophers in 2021.

Beyond Jackson, Fleck and Co. came back to the great state of Ohio to land three-star cornerback Tamarion Crumpley from Winton Woods High School in Cincinnati. Crumpley is a long, physical corner that should fit quite well in Minnesota's defense.

Minnesota also landed a commitment from three-star defensive end D'Marion Alexander from China Springs (Texas) High School. Standing at 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds, Alexander could play a wide variety of positions for the Gophers' defense but will likely end up as a defensive end. Most importantly, it once again showed the national recruiting approach that Fleck is taking in Minnesota that has worked well for them in the 2021 cycle.

Go Gophers!!

Who is going to be the next to commit???? Anyone hearing anything?

Who is going to be the next to commit???? Anyone hearing anything?
Seriously I'm ready. I know we're in a couple guys top 5 so waiting on decisions from them.

There's a few big-time guys that we're still heavily involved with but I don't think any plans to announce soon. I know Jamari Buddin said he's looking at a December announcement. I heard we have as good a chance as any at the 4* RB Irving too. That ATH from Florida is a new guy on the list and would be a great get. Tar'varish Dawson is his name. Story the 4* DE should announce soon but I think Ohio St is his 1 right now. Phillip Riley still hasn't announced publicly his commitment to VA Tech so I'm holding out hope. That would be a real nice CB lineup. Sounds like Dawson from FLA could also play corner though too. Sam Jackson could play corner but sounds more like they're gonna run him all over the offense.

All good stuff.

Really need to add some guys to both lines. I know the coaches know that but this seems athlete heavy. Need to find the next group of OL.

4* OT David Davidkov just committed to Iowa. Allen Trieu and Steve Wiltfong had suggested on their podcast a few days ago that while Iowa’s likely still a leader for Joe Alt, the Gophers are definitely very much in the hunt. Gotta imagine this helps our case with him. That gives Iowa two offensive tackle commits in the past week or so. It’s gonna be a hell of a race for top recruiting class in the West this year.

Really need to add some guys to both lines. I know the coaches know that but this seems athlete heavy. Need to find the next group of OL.
Someone with more time than I have can maybe dig into this thought a bit more... Total speculation on my part, no inside info here. Is there a correlation between positions you have getting drafted in a given year versus star rankings of incoming recruits for those positions? I'm thinking next year our OL will be getting some serious attention for the 2021 draft, so next year is when we can really start pulling in great OL recruits. PJ does seem to focus on different areas each recruiting season (versus having a balance of positions in each class). Maybe this is all part of the grand plan, wait until next year when we've got a lot of "OL buzz" to pull in a lot of OL recurits?

Someone with more time than I have can maybe dig into this thought a bit more... Total speculation on my part, no inside info here. Is there a correlation between positions you have getting drafted in a given year versus star rankings of incoming recruits for those positions? I'm thinking next year our OL will be getting some serious attention for the 2021 draft, so next year is when we can really start pulling in great OL recruits. PJ does seem to focus on different areas each recruiting season (versus having a balance of positions in each class). Maybe this is all part of the grand plan, wait until next year when we've got a lot of "OL buzz" to pull in a lot of OL recurits?

I've been wondering something similar about going for JUCO OL next year due to a general buzz about us due to winning. I think we would be an attractive place to land because we would allow people to compete for a B1G title right away. As UpUnder pointed out this class is looking athlete heavy, but I think that athletes have much more potential to help in their first two years than OL recruits. That is why I think they might invest in a couple older players next year.

The problem is that with a lot of guys likely moving on, you have to have guys ready to take their place. It's hard to tell how some of the freshman (redshirt and otherwise) are progressing, but there will be a need for guys to plug in after 2020.

Any chance we can get Fleck to start recruiting for the basketball program too? :)

Maybe he wouldn't "virtually" ignore/half-heartedly recruit the Lakeville North kids (Macura, Wahl, and Reuvers) like Pitino did.

Arland Bruce IV committed to Iowa today. Gopher legacy, but no gopher offer. Hopefully he isn't anywhere near as successful as Atwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom