Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with you that there are some players other than Bateman who could leave, but I do not think that Ibrahim, Dunlap or Faalele are in that group. In my opinion Ibrahim does not have the measurables to make the jump; and I think that either of the lineman mentioned could be benched next year in order to for Schmitz to play center.

Regardless if all of those players leave, that still leaves us with 9 players to transfer which is still more than the average team.

Just for debate's sake: If Ibrahim has another 1,000-yard+ season, I don't think his stock would get much higher (this will be his 4th year out of HS) and Big Dan could just get drafted on potential (much like the NBA does) because he is such a specimen

You're also assuming they sign 25. I could easily see them signing something like 20 instead of the initially mentioned 16. It seems like every year we've had at least a couple players medically retire that would also cut into that number.

I'm not sure why people get so obsessed with the numbers. I remember last year people were tracking constantly, wondering how on earth we were going to hit the number. Between retirement, transfers, walk-ons not getting scholarships, etc. the staff knows what is likely to happen in the near future and plans for that.
I agree with you that that will likely sign around 20, but my post was in reference to Mpls gopher saying that we could have 25 recruits

Correct me if I am wrong --- but don't we need some of those people to still be asked "to think about their future" in order to make the numbers work for the incoming class? Or have enough people transferred such that we are at or under the 85?
I lost track some time ago. This is a great question.

I agree with you that that will likely sign around 20, but my post was in reference to Mpls gopher saying that we could have 25 recruits
Keep in mind that things that could happen after this fall season or even next spring can technically still affect openings for the 2021 class.

So maybe it’s safe to say that we won’t have 25 by the “early” deadlines in this cycle.

Should we sign 20 and keep all 14 of our commitments. The additional 6 players, would only have to average 7 points to put us on the edge of the top 25 and 8.5 to be on the edge of top 20. That does assume that the cut off is similar to last years.

Should we sign 20 and keep all 14 of our commitments. The additional 6 players, would only have to average 7 points to put us on the edge of the top 25 and 8.5 to be on the edge of top 20. That does assume that the cut off is similar to last years.
The point system is kinda weird - the number of points a recruit is worth is a combination of their rating and how they're ranked relative to your other signees. For example, a player rated as a 90 who is your top player may be worth more points than another team's 91 rated player who is their 5th highest player. Likewise, if you have 7 guys rated 86, the last one is worth less points than the "highest" 86. The class calculator on 247 gives an interesting demonstration of this, and shows how adding potential recruits would affect the ratings.

Weird to see that adding a high recruit actually lowers the points of all the lower recruits, but its designed to weight the top of your class heavier and only partially rely on number of recruits.

Whether or not you think recruiting rankings matter or not is a different argument and not one I want to start, but the math behind the point system is kinda interesting and makes it so we'd have to keep bringing in high rated guys to stay up in the top 20-25.

The point system is kinda weird - the number of points a recruit is worth is a combination of their rating and how they're ranked relative to your other signees. For example, a player rated as a 90 who is your top player may be worth more points than another team's 91 rated player who is their 5th highest player. Likewise, if you have 7 guys rated 86, the last one is worth less points than the "highest" 86. The class calculator on 247 gives an interesting demonstration of this, and shows how adding potential recruits would affect the ratings.

Weird to see that adding a high recruit actually lowers the points of all the lower recruits, but its designed to weight the top of your class heavier and only partially rely on number of recruits.

Whether or not you think recruiting rankings matter or not is a different argument and not one I want to start, but the math behind the point system is kinda interesting and makes it so we'd have to keep bringing in high rated guys to stay up in the top 20-25.
Hmmm...I'm thinking the heck with points and just get the best player available.

Correct me if I am wrong --- but don't we need some of those people to still be asked "to think about their future" in order to make the numbers work for the incoming class? Or have enough people transferred such that we are at or under the 85?
I think Gophs are currently very close to the 85 limit counting the incoming class.

I think Gophs are currently very close to the 85 limit counting the incoming class.
I just did the math on the scholarship distribution per 247 and we are at exactly 85 scholarships.

You're also assuming they sign 25. I could easily see them signing something like 20 instead of the initially mentioned 16. It seems like every year we've had at least a couple players medically retire that would also cut into that number.

I'm not sure why people get so obsessed with the numbers. I remember last year people were tracking constantly, wondering how on earth we were going to hit the number. Between retirement, transfers, walk-ons not getting scholarships, etc. the staff knows what is likely to happen in the near future and plans for that.

People care about and wonder if we can add more guys or who will be leaving, that's why we care about the numbers. Obviously they have no option but to find a way to work out in the end. The only argument people ever have with that is whether or not it's common to force kids to leave.

That’s great but can we get some crystal balls for OL players?

Agreed.

We need for Cameron James to finally make his visit that kept getting delayed. Maybe, I hoping, that there will be a summer barbecue. Anybody heard if Riley Mahlman's Wiscy commitment is still firm?

I just did the math on the scholarship distribution per 247 and we are at exactly 85 scholarships.

I wonder how many red shirted players go to summer school and don't intend to use their last year of eligibility? If they go to summer school every year, can they shave off an extra year of college and graduate early?

I think the Gopher's competitive system works well. It is all about working hard to crack the lineup. It is earned in practice. Guys that see themselves as third or fourth stringers either want to remain a Gopher and be a solid bench player, have enough credits to get their degree, or grad transfer elsewhere where they get a shot as a starter.

Some players early on decided the odds are against them at a fully loaded position. They may opt for the transfer portal.

Speaking of which, it is good to see Mayan Ahanotu is transferring to Rutgers. I didn't know Greg Schiano worked with him at Berkely Prep HS in Tampa, Florida.

Ignore this link if you've seen it already - https://247sports.com/Article/Rutge...Ahanotu-Minnesota-Gophers-PJ-Fleck-146375799/

I would agree with you that there are some players other than Bateman who could leave, but I do not think that Ibrahim, Dunlap or Faalele are in that group. In my opinion Ibrahim does not have the measurables to make the jump; and I think that either of the lineman mentioned could be benched next year in order to for Schmitz to play center.

Regardless if all of those players leave, that still leaves us with 9 players to transfer which is still more than the average team.

I'd be surprised if Faalele is here after his JR year personally. Big man, short shelf life.

But that's my point, there are more guys to be had yet, to get from what people are projecting as 20, up to the max of 25, in the 2021 class. Talking class of 2017, 2018 guys, maybe even 2019 guys.

I wonder how many red shirted players go to summer school and don't intend to use their last year of eligibility? If they go to summer school every year, can they shave off an extra year of college and graduate early?
Legit thought.

If you know you're not going to contribute much, and/or are just done with football, and have no intention of transferring, the summer term credits can let you pretty easily graduate in 3.5-4 calendar years.

I'd be surprised if Faalele is here after his JR year personally. Big man, short shelf life.
I hope Faalele can develop to the extent that he leaves after this year, so far, I just don't see it. Yes, he is a physical specimen, but the argument could be made that the O-line played more cohesive without him in the line up at times last year. DF has a long way to go to play at the next level in my opinion.

If there's anyone I trust to encourage players to transfer if he thinks it's best for the program and the kid, it's PJ. I don't think those conversations have to be overly difficult and there doesn't need to be a whole lot of love lost. It just is what it is when you look at the depth chart and you can see that as a player. Why not go somewhere else and get more PT? I'm sure the scholarship area won't be an issue and I do think the season will get in at some point. Whether it starts in the fall/winter/spring, fans/no fans. I'm thinking they'll find a way.

I hope Faalele can develop to the extent that he leaves after this year, so far, I just don't see it. Yes, he is a physical specimen, but the argument could be made that the O-line played more cohesive without him in the line up at times last year. DF has a long way to go to play at the next level in my opinion.

Injuries are worrisome for me in regards to the big fella. He has to work harder and not show up out of shape coming off injuries. A lot of it IMHO has to do with a longer recovery time for him.

It may not hurt to red shirt him. They took the red shirt out of necessity when they were losing. He simply needs an extra year of development and conditioning. Physically and mentally, he will be more ready and will come out as a 1st Round Prospect.

I didn't say I thought he'd be successful right away, but he'd probably get drafted in mid rounds by an NFL team that feel they can develop him too. He's huge, his shelf life for playing may not be long. I think he leaves and chooses to make money while he can.

Injuries are worrisome for me in regards to the big fella. He has to work harder and not show up out of shape coming off injuries. A lot of it IMHO has to do with a longer recovery time for him.

It may not hurt to red shirt him. They took the red shirt out of necessity when they were losing. He simply needs an extra year of development and conditioning. Physically and mentally, he will be more ready and will come out as a 1st Round Prospect.

There is zero chance they are going to redshirt Daniel when it very well could be his last year. If anyone thinks many NFL teamss wouldn't use a 3rd-round pick on someone with his size and athleticism and just bank on finishing his development, they are straight nuts. The only reason he will stay 4 years is if he likes the program and sees a potential 1st-round status (and money) with another year under his belt. But that extra year is not going to happen redshirting.

There is zero chance they are going to redshirt Daniel when it very well could be his last year. If anyone thinks many NFL teamss wouldn't use a 3rd-round pick on someone with his size and athleticism and just bank on finishing his development, they are straight nuts. The only reason he will stay 4 years is if he likes the program and sees a potential 1st-round status (and money) with another year under his belt. But that extra year is not going to happen redshirting.

Points well taken.

Shelf life probably will cause him to go after the money ASAP and not risk a career ending injury playing college ball.

I didn't say I thought he'd be successful right away, but he'd probably get drafted in mid rounds by an NFL team that feel they can develop him too. He's huge, his shelf life for playing may not be long. I think he leaves and chooses to make money while he can.

I am not sold he would chase a mid round NFL contract when he might see the potential to keep developing in college and work his way up into the 1st round money that top level OL end up getting. Lot will depend on how he continues to develop because it takes more then just size to be successful in the NFL and he is still very new to the game of football.

But this really isn't a topic for the 2021 recruiting thread.

But that's my point, there are more guys to be had yet, to get from what people are projecting as 20, up to the max of 25, in the 2021 class. Talking class of 2017, 2018 guys, maybe even 2019 guys.
Scholarship count is for 2020, not 2021. Seniors and a fair amount of RS Juniors will be gone by then and there will be the normal attrition elsewhere. Plenty of time for that class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom